The Witcher:Enhanced ED registration

+
The Witcher:Enhanced ED registration

I've got a question about this game I just bought (brand new from Gamestop, like 2-3 Days ago because I should play 1 before I play 2 XP)

Is Registration even necessary, or what not with the new patch (I couldn't play until patch 1.5 was installed, btw thanks you for that, I truly hate DRM that forces things to be installed on your computer, and Win 7 didn't like it in the slightest)

The game plays and I know I haven't used the CD-key at all to install the game, and was wondering what the point of registration when the game plays very well without it, and the patches are free. The website link posted in the game guide below the Key isn't valid either, though the game still has (when patched to 1.5) register.exe.

----------
Edit -
Thanks for the move into the correct forum board, I didn't know which one to go to. X}

galdor

Forum veteran
Excuse me but how exactly the need to instal a patch is DRM enforcing you to do anything?

The registration and the CD-key are remnants of the old system that, apparently, disappeared after a number of problems with Witcher 2. Since there is no registration system online, you obviously have to instal a patch that obliterates the need for it from the older (boxed) version that you have. The online versions available at the moment have been updated to the later version and do not require registration anymore.

RageGT

Forum veteran
garyrhuman said:
so what u mean is totally updated version if bought from digital download distributor? :confused:

Well, The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut available at GoG's is fully 1.5 from install. =)

Galdor said:
Excuse me but how exactly the need to instal a patch is DRM enforcing you to do anything?
Galdor said:
Is Registration even necessary, or what not with the new patch (I couldn't play until patch 1.5 was installed, btw thanks you for that, I truly hate DRM that forces things to be installed on your computer, and Win 7 didn't like it in the slightest)
The DRM installed on my system when I installed the game and will not function since Win 7 hates it's guts and will not install a few of it's drivers. While DRM can literally force you to play the game it wants you to, but that's not what I said, and only showed you didn't read what I posted. Let me put it this way, I Could NOT play the game until I patched it, and I know that. Though that was NOT the question, and was a side note of a issue with that DRM + Win7, and if you would have stoped and did some looking, You'd not have even needed to ask such a bad question like that.

Galdor said:
The registration and the CD-key are remnants of the old system that, apparently, disappeared after a number of problems with Witcher 2.
That was the answer I was looking for to my question, with alittle extra information, but that was it.

Galdor said:
Since there is no registration system online, you obviously have to instal a patch that obliterates the need for it from the older (boxed) version that you have. The online versions available at the moment have been updated to the later version and do not require registration anymore.
This was just, pathetic from you. You didn't read my post, on which I already stated patch 1.5 was installed, then making a statement 'guessing' I had a boxed version, while anyone would know that already since I said I bought it from Gamestop brand new, not DL'd it from their website. You also proceeded to tell me something about the digital versions that was completely POINTLESS, and something I'D never EVER use, because it'd require me to re-buy this game {Digital} (great game) and that's not something I'd ever do when I already own a legal valid Disc copy.

I had no way of knowing that the registration system has been removed, but the EXE is still there, but that's just fine since I know now it's worthless really.

I would have liked it if you actually read my post. I was asking if registration was actually needed because the game plays perfectly well without the key being used, and the response you gave only proved you did NOT read what I posted.

I never once got the chance to play the game before the patch, because that Protection they used is hated by Win 7, and I had ALREADY researched and updated my game (after some posts I found).

I'd like it if those who responded, actually used what brain they had and didn't give me a cut & paste answer, of thing I need/should do that I already said I did. Though when I said I bought it from Gamestop, It's very clearly a BOXED COPY, and I know I said it was patched to 1.5, and I don't give a fling fisk about digital versions.

Registration would be useful once CDP reintroduces some forum support ( to see which user registered their game and such ). Until then, just play.

galdor

Forum veteran
Phoegon said:
This was just, pathetic from you. You didn't read my post, on which I already stated patch 1.5 was installed, then making a statement 'guessing' I had a boxed version, while anyone would know that already since I said I bought it from Gamestop brand new, not DL'd it from their website. You also proceeded to tell me something about the digital versions that was completely POINTLESS, and something I'D never EVER use, because it'd require me to re-buy this game {Digital} (great game) and that's not something I'd ever do when I already own a legal valid Disc copy.

I did read your post, that's where I got the information that your game is a boxed copy. No guessing - pure reading of the original post.

Any boxed copy of the first game is an old version of the game, with the registration system still included, regardless of the game version.

I mentioned digital versions to illustrate my point, not to insinuate that you have got one. Please re-read my post when you calm down.

Phoegon said:
I'd like it if those who responded, actually used what brain they had and didn't give me a cut & paste answer, of thing I need/should do that I already said I did. Though when I said I bought it from Gamestop, It's very clearly a BOXED COPY, and I know I said it was patched to 1.5, and I don't give a fling fisk about digital versions.

That was uncalled for.

Galdor said:
I did read your post, that's where I got the information that your game is a boxed copy. No guessing - pure reading of the original post.

Any boxed copy of the first game is an old version of the game, with the registration system still included, regardless of the game version.

I mentioned digital versions to illustrate my point, not to insinuate that you have got one. Please re-read my post when you calm down.

That was uncalled for.
Considering everything you said, Outside of one sentence, was invalid in certain ways.
-Already mentioned in my post, that I did.
-Bad question, about a known issue on of which one of the major issues.(That moved TW1 to remove it's DRM)
-Restating the obvious while only answering the post within one sentence is something that makes your post devalued as it were, despite knowing what your talking about.
-telling me things that I already know like, "The Boxed version comes with a registration system, because it's an older version." Just simply said, you speak alot for what littler information you give.

If you are offended, then next time I would suggest you don't give an example to such a simple issues on which an example would be pointless. Seeing how "Registration for the game is no longer used to play it." needs an example is beyond me, and a waste of breath. It may be a pet peeve, but honestly when people do those things it makes forums hard to read and rather unpleasant because they suddenly become about the inflated answers and not about the actually questions, which don't require as much explaining.

DragonNest54 said:
I know I got the The Witcher but is The Witcher Enhanced Edition: Director's Cut even better?
Depending on when and where you bought the game, The Witcher Enhanced Edition: Director's Cut may be what you have. The Director's Cut was a version that restored some of the nudity that had been censored in the North American version of The Witcher. Places outside of North America never needed the Director's Cut edition, since their version of The Witcher had never been censored to begin with.

The Enhanced Edition of The Witcher was released years ago, so if you have any kind of recent digital download, you already have the Enhanced Edition. If you bought a boxed version of the game, the red box is the original edition, and you need to download (free) patches to bring it up to the Enhanced Edition. If you have the black box version of the game, that IS the Enhanced Edition, though depending on when you bought it, you might still need the 1.5 patch.

All of this is about The Witcher ONE (and since this is the Witcher 1 section of the forum, I'm assuming that's what you're asking about). There is no Director's Cut for The Witcher 2, since the game wasn't censored in North America. And the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher 2 came out recently (yesterday or today, depending on your time zone).

Top Bottom