The Witcher Fan Art Thread

+
xwlr said:
I have edited Geralt's face with Photoshop to make him look more like 50 than 100. I would like to hear how you like it.http://localhostr.com/file/oEV20n3/Geralt.jpg
I like this better; he doesn't look quite so old. Geralt's eyes look really small to me here. I'm sure they were that way in the original, too, and other features of the original distracted me from his eyes; I know the size of his eyes isn't something you did. But now that you've toned down those distractions, it's like wow, his eyes seem a lot smaller than they were in TW1.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I have edited Geralt's face with Photoshop to make him look more like 50 than 100. I would like to hear how you like it.http://localhostr.com/file/oEV20n3/Geralt.jpg
I like this better; he doesn't look quite so old. Geralt's eyes look really small to me here. I'm sure they were that way in the original, too, and other features of the original distracted me from his eyes; I know the size of his eyes isn't something you did. But now that you've toned down those distractions, it's like wow, his eyes seem a lot smaller than they were in TW1.
You're right about the eyes being smaller. I think they're better that way. There were a lot of "googly eyes" in TW1; he looks better with a bit of a "Clint squint", especially in the eye that got slashed.Excellent work, xwlr.

I think it's nice as your forth attempt :)Just a couple more and it will be perfect *winks*Photoshop it's tricky and quite difficult when used for a thing like this, photomanipulation. You should learn how to deal with layers and all the fantastic things you can do with them :)

thanks, the thing that made this the most pain in the arse is that I had to clear the background out of most of the pics, without being able to use the magic erase feature... grrrrr

In between thinking of what to add to my fan fiction today, I decided to do a little design in Paint Shop Pro. The graphic is created from some of the newer screenshots. So if you are trying to avoid spoilers, I would believe it has it in it. The wall papers are in 1600 * 1200.http://darksaviour03.deviantart.com/#/d3edr1xEDIT: Also, I created a Triss Wallpaper (NSFW). There is still spoilers in the next desktop.http://darksaviour03.deviantart.com/#/d3eewno

Ha, you even added my forum signature to the Damnation. It sort of gave me a chuckle this morning. :DThank you. I like your work, too :D

I've always been put off of writing fan fiction by how negatively so many writers react to it. Perhaps I should give it a better try sometime...

My husband and I just use fan fiction to hone our techniques. Of course, I have always been a play by post RPer. Most of WLB was RPed out on my own forums with my husband. Then, it was transcribed later (with additional content added to it). Personally, I am surprised at how well WLB been received here and on other forums. There is a certain disdain for fan fiction by other authors. Yet, I have always been one that isn't affected by what others say. I do what I do because I enjoy it.I say it often, and I mean it. I write WLB for myself, and I am glad that others find enjoyment in my fan fiction. Last week, I put 115 hours into the fan fiction. This morning I went to bed at 10:30 AM to finish a section of Chapter 15. (What is after getting 4 hours asleep the night before) So, I do take it very seriously.In honesty, I find fan fiction to be a greater challenge than writing my own world. In that world, my characters are formed by my own set of rules. The magick is unique to that world. In Fan Fiction, I have to adhere to a previous author's world. Even when introducing a new type of enemy for Geralt, I had to cross-check and make sure it was believable. The main problem of most fan fictions is that many of the characters are actually characters that the authors create (with the canon names slapped on them). I try to keep Geralt (and other characters) as close to the few English books that are out and, of course, the game. The problem with writing about someone's beloved character is that everyone *thinks* they know the character (or that you are putting yourself in that world). It's subjective, at best. I had people tell me that I am *spot on* with Geralt; then, others tell me that I missed his character completely. Then, others think that fan fiction is not original. My plot is something that I came up with. Most of the characters in the fan fiction are original characters. Yes, you will see Dandelion, Triss, and everyone else you associate with the witcher mythos; however, the bulk of the characters are my invention. You will see a new sorceress, a bard, a knight, a witcher from another school. Book One was over 100,000 words, and it's my baby as much as "Dark Savior" (my husband and my novel that we are writing) is. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I had about another 4 hours of sleep. lol.

I'm a fantasy writer myself, and of course I started out writing fan fiction as a kid like anyone else did. But it's been probably a decade since I tried it again. (Apart from, obviously, the writing competition right here on the forums) I know most authors dislike it, as of course your characters and your world are your own property. It's never nice to see someone else playing with your toys. I've received a fair bit of fan art of some of my characters, which is nice and always appreciated, but the fan fiction I've received, although flattering and lovely that people would go to the trouble, always makes me want to say "Well, she'd never do/say this."

I'm more of a dark fantasy writer, myself. My own novels are very gritty, (loss of hope) and a depressing, cruel world. I'm the opposite. From the time I could write, I would create stories. They were my own worlds. What Lies Beneath is one of the first attempts that I made at Fan Fiction. WLB was followed by Deception, an assassin's creed 2 short story collection. Before that, my husband and I would roleplay on WoW's RP servers and play by post. The play by posts were an RP of our own world that we created, though.The one bit of story (before we started to work on our novels) that we released was taken from, expanded upon, and self-published. So, at this moment, we are keeping our original writings a secret. I'm currently writing a short story that features the main female protagonist's sister that will be featured on my website, but the protagonist will be..lacking somewhat...from it. I asked my husband how he would feel if someone took our characters and wrote about them. He paled. Then, he said, "Well if it's true to the characters, I won't mind." Unfortunately, most fan fiction that I read or have read are not true to the characters. It's such a shame, really.

My work fits into the genre of 'scoundrel lit'. I wasn't even aware it had a name until recently actually. In the style of Clive Barker, George R R Martin and Joe Abercrombie. Fantasy aimed exclusively at adults, often with a great deal of moral ambiguity, explicit violence and sexuality. I'd been writing that sort of genre since i was a teenager, it getting progressively more mature as I did, but wasn't until I became familiar with Abercrombie and his success that I really found there was a market for it.

SlateUK said:
Fantasy aimed exclusively at adults, often with a great deal of moral ambiguity, explicit violence and sexuality.
I believe that is really one of the only ways to go. Sounds like my writing, too. :) In my prologue, my world is on the brink of war. A coop overthrows the main kingdom it is set in. Even though it doesn't show here (in my fanfiction), my writings often have graphic scenes (violence and sexuality) in them. As a fantasy writer, one of the first thigns that I had to decide was how "in depth" I wanted to explore that side of humanity. It's one of the reasons why I have an uncensored version of WLB. As to my own novels, the main protagonist in the first one is having alittle fun on the side. During which, his partner is gutted below him. It's not a very nice scene of the story, but I think it is powerful as well. There is a very surreal pull that the male and female protagonist have together.I can understand that. Seeing as I cowrite with my husband, our styles mix together. I couldn't tell you who his own influences are. My own include Steven King, Brent Weeks, Andrzej Sapkowski (of course lol). I want to read Michael Moorcock's saga about Elric, but I haven't really found the time. Almost all of my time is composed of writing. I wish I was joking, lol. Right now, I am working between both my fan fiction and polishing the scene I just described above.

Darksavior said:
Darksavior said:
Fantasy aimed exclusively at adults, often with a great deal of moral ambiguity, explicit violence and sexuality.
I believe that is really one of the only ways to go. Sounds like my writing, too. :) In my prologue, my world is on the brink of war. A coop overthrows the main kingdom it is set in. Even though it doesn't show here (in my fanfiction), my writings often have graphic scenes (violence and sexuality) in them. As a fantasy writer, one of the first thigns that I had to decide was how "in depth" I wanted to explore that side of humanity. It's one of the reasons why I have an uncensored version of WLB. As to my own novels, the main protagonist in the first one is having alittle fun on the side. During which, his partner is gutted below him. It's not a very nice scene of the story, but I think it is powerful as well. There is a very surreal pull that the male and female protagonist have together.I can understand that. Seeing as I cowrite with my husband, our styles mix together. I couldn't tell you who his own influences are. My own include Steven King, Brent Weeks, Andrzej Sapkowski (of course lol). I want to read Michael Moorcock's saga about Elric, but I haven't really found the time. Almost all of my time is composed of writing. I wish I was joking, lol. Right now, I am working between both my fan fiction and polishing the scene I just described above.
My biggest inspirations are certainly Clive Barker, I grew up reading his works, and Cabal was my favourite book for many years as a youth. In recent years, I find most of my inspiration in Joe Abercrombie books, all set in the same brilliant gritty fantasy world, very violent, very gritty, but with a strong sense of humor throughout. And Glen Cook's 'Chronicles of the Black Company' is another one I love, dark as fantasy gets. George R R Martin's 'A song of Ice and Fire' may be my favourite fantasy work at the moment, (And i'm currently trying to introduce it to as many people as possible now that the television series has come along to help me) That's the most adult I've ever seen fantasy get, incredibly explicit, very convoluted, complex storylines and so many brilliantly realized characters.The protagonist in my fantasy work is a female, which is often prefer to write, so the sexuality is naturally there, but I've gone to lengths in the years i've been writing her to NOT make her a traditional fantasy heroine, (IE Virginal warrior princess who also happens to look like a catwalk model without ever trying) that stuff I hate.

Hi everyone!I have some updates for you guys!)Hope you enjoy it! http://sardas.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3ekhjthttp://sardas.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3eidhshttp://sardas.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3eida9http://sardas.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3eid65
xwlr said:
yeah, this one looks better!
xwlr said:
@ sardas very nice indeed cant say what had already been sided how ever I do like how you outfitted him love the deep dark colors
grimy dark witcher) thank you!
xwlr said:
Thanks for sharing your work with us!It's nice to see a Geralt that isn't directly based off of CDPR's version, whose features are a bit different.Edited to Add: Here, have an oren, for drawing nice Witcher-related pictures for us to look at!
thank you, I appreciate that! my first oren) It looks different, but it`s still based on CDPR version, in the next work i`ll try to do something more radically different
xwlr said:
Thank u sardas! It's amazing. You are very talented in digital coloring. And this Geralt suits a lot to my idea of him I had from the book. Well done :)Also I see that you've already join our group on dA so: welcome, artist!
Thanks a lot!)

Top Bottom