The Witcher - Forgotten memories

+
Great video and a great game! I play it every year once or twice with the other 2 games of the series.

Greetings to You my fellow countryman!

@Riven-Twain
Shani.jpg

Very nice, @hiuuz ! A charming little scene. Thanks for calling me over.

Somewhere on the forum I read you are a member in TeamShani :)
At my first playthrough I knew nothing about the story and I choosed Shani. I felt Alvin has a better place next to her. But around the end of the game I felt she want to force Geralt to a father role and this was unlikeable for me. At the second time I choosed Triss, and after I sent Alvin to her I saw he don't like living with Triss. So neither way quite good to choose but there is't a third way. But in the first game Shani looks much better, so this is a good reason to choose her :)
Oh and if I mentioned Alvin:
Alvin.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere on the forum I read you are a member in TeamShani
Ay, I've mentioned it once or twice -- I'm also a knight of the Lady of the Lake, but that's another story. . . .
At my first playthrough I knew nothing about the story and I choosed Shani. I felt Alvin has a better place next to her. But around the end of the game I felt she want to force Geralt to a father role and this was unlikeable for me. At the second time I choosed Triss, and after I sent Alvin to her I saw he don't like living with Triss.
I made the same choice when I first played, and yet, after trying it with Triss, I still choose Shani, every time I play. Within the context of the first game, Triss resembles Yen rather too much for me, since the REDs tried to incorpate some of her characteristics. Since I find Yen's personality repellent, regardless of her endearing traits, I stick to my personal preferences, rather than pick the 'Geralt choice'.

Triss resembles Yen rather too much for me, since the REDs tried to incorpate some of her characteristics. Since I find Yen's personality repellent, regardless of her endearing traits, I stick to my personal preferences, rather than pick the 'Geralt choice'.

A read the books after TW1 so I had no idea about Yen. Triss was antipatic from Act3 when she appears again. At this point was a kind of relationship with Shani and I always felt a distance with Triss. Otherwise, after the book I wondered why CDPR let out Yen. But in the books (except for some cases) Yen seemed to be a b*tch to me, so after all I don't miss her from TW1 :)

For the end of the day, here is an other quick composition what I made this afternoon. Not a "10/10" one, but with d'jinni and some minor trick with Gimp, this is the result. Maybe next year I dig into blender for better results ;) If he don't mind, I invite @Vattier too for this:

Geralt.jpg

That's really cool, good job! I recently "ran" the game and checked out some of my old saves (I always have it installed in my computer) and it brought back a lot of memories from 2008 and an entire decade of playing The Witcher.

Cool video! Couldn't agree more with the "looking back" sentiment. It was a stunning game -- like nothing else at the time.

I would say there still is nothing like it, not even TW2 or TW3. The atmosphere in the first game is still unrivaled. This is entirely subjective but there is something magical about it that makes even the second and third Witcher games look/feel "normal", despite their impressive technology. I think it's the combination of art design and color palette, landscapes, quest design (many "quests" are about Geralt's self (re)discovery, not XP farming), and especially pacing that make this game unique. For most of us non Polish/Eastern Europeans, the game world is truly exotic and fascinating whereas TW2/3 are, albeit excellent, more traditional fantasy. Another example: a new silver sword or new armor are true feats in TW1 (being rare and/or expensive), while they are abundant and trivial in the sequels. Anyway my point is that TW1 has many original elements that make it different from most other games, but the series added more and more mainstream, videogamey elements to appeal to a broad audience (can't blame them).

I love all Witcher games, but there is nothing quite like THE Witcher.

That's really cool, good job!
Thank you!

You said well! Maybe TW1 is way below todays standards, but it has something within what makes it unique! From hundred RPG you can chose it immediately! Voiceover in my language is an other gift! In english with subtitles I can understand games quite good. But playing in hungarian is a completely different dimension! I think this also makes this game unforgettable!

I'm glad you turned in and wrote your praising thoughts about the game!

@hiuuz : Thanks for that marvelous, moody video!
Now I MUST play "the Witcher 1" again!(y)

Thank You!
The pleasure is mine!
I am pleased to see there is still fans from the old times, fans who didn't forget, fans who still apprciate the first Geralt of Rivia.
I see you registered in 2008 so you played The Witcher in those times when it came out. I'm not a hardcore player, there was a few years when I didn't played at all. So I joined late to the party, but started with the first episode. Was so brilliant, so enslaving that even now I didn't touch any other RPG. Still didn't played 2 and 3 :)
If you play The Witcher again, don't forget to try my mod, for better face and leather jacket textures! I wonder what would have been, if somebody made something like this, back than. Would they have changed his face for TW2?
But that is past. We have to live with progress...

CDPR'd do well to add more units/characters from the first game to Gwent. There's plenty to choose from, yet so few present right now, just Vincent Meis, Yaevinn, and the frightner

Thank You!
The pleasure is mine!

If you play The Witcher again, don't forget to try my mod, for better face and leather jacket textures! I wonder what would have been, if somebody made something like this, back than. Would they have changed his face for TW2?
But that is past. We have to live with progress...
Yup, downloaded it last night.

I've been hardcore Witcher fan since I first heard about the game and dug up a couple of the stories online. I was hooked. Can't say I'm a hardcore gamer. I usually play games for story/atmosphere. To me a good RPG game is like reading an enhanced story. And, like Tolkien's works, I'll go back to an especially great game to "read" it again.
I have to say one of the biggest disappointments in Witcher 2 was the change in voice actors for Zotan. Heh, I'll fire up Witcher 1 just to hear "... one shouldn't be surprised at all the shit." ;-)

Hi, hiuuz!
Old-timer here, and i logged in for saying thanks for your video. It really touched my heart. No, i 'll never forget the first Geralt.
Thank you!
(Hey, Vattier, hi! )

One good word from an 'old' The Witcher fan means, my effort wasn't unnecessary! I'm not one from the 'oldest' fans, even TW3 was out when I met the Witcher series, but I played TW1 first. Tuoched me so deeply!
I am glad I could bring back some pleasant memory!
Thank you!

Top Bottom