The Witcher Hollywood movie!

+
I really enjoy The Witcher and I think it has one of the best story plots out of any RPG I have ever played. However, please, please, please don't make it into a movie. Every video game-movie has failed miserably, the only thing it would succeed in is disappointing fans of the series. The problem is that a story such as The Witcher is driven so much by the players choices that a movie made out of it could not possibly live up to the expectations of fans. Also from what I have heard a movie was already made in Poland and apparently was a big disappointment to fans of the novel.

you can see most of the polish movie online as it was cobbled together from the series and the old series episodes are on youtube (here's a link to one of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOyjXhd2A2g&feature=related). The problem was the total cheese factor IMHO.I think it's possible to make a successful, big-budget movie, but perhaps the previously suggested list of directors is just too american (maybe not, who knows?) and the game is based on books, and you don't get a choice in a story when you read a book.so it wouldn't really be a movie based on a game, it would be like any other movie based on a book (or books). heck! they could focus on one short story at a time and that would be great for a series of movies :)

Yes, basing on the books is definitely better. I read every 7 part of story about the Witcher and I think that plot in books is better than in game. Of course game is good one, but books are the best ^^.

I kinda hope that no one will make such a movie. It would be somehow disapointing even if it would be great movie - books have their magic, let it keep that way .)Btw Uwe Boll's movie would be totaly awesome :D Masses of fun, one phun wave after another xD

MadCatII said:
I kinda hope that no one will make such a movie. It would be somehow disapointing even if it would be great movie - books have their magic, let it keep that way .)
Well, maybe you're right. But it isn't a rule. IMO LotR movie is better than book ;]

Lavya said:
Lavya said:
I kinda hope that no one will make such a movie. It would be somehow disapointing even if it would be great movie - books have their magic, let it keep that way .)
Well, maybe you're right. But it isn't a rule. IMO LotR movie is better than book ;]
Let’s face it books will always have their magic, and it’s hard to make a good film out of a book. The problem is you can’t put the whole story of the books in a 2 hour film, some to the reader important things will always get lost.LotR is a good movie true, but not better then the book, the same goes with Harry Potter. Still these are good adaptations of books and TW could be a good film too, if there’s a good crew with a high budget behind it, the same hope I foster for the novel “The Dark Tower” from Stephen King.First they should follow the storyline from the books and then they could add on the story from the game. I would like to see Michał Żebrowski as Geralt (the same actor from the polish film), cause even when the 1st film and series was crap (thx to the low budget) he made a great Geralt !!!

Mike said:
As you already know The witcher gains more and more popularity. If the sales reach milion of copies, it's almost inevitable that some movie producer is going to make more money on Geralt (fantasy theme is still on top). There are also rumors about animation movie directed by Baginski. Would you like to see The witcher on silver screen ? What are your suggestions. Should it be based on series of books like Potter ? What is favorable actor to Geralt's role? Plese feel free to post your comment.
Seriously, I would love to watch an animated version of the game itself. Playing through it was a load of fun, but being able to watch the story unfold in the exact same fashion as the story of Geralt and the Striga would be unbelievable.

Glad I read this- I was thinking about ordering the movie. (kind fate steps in, rescuing xantia from the horror of subtitles- WHEW that was close!) :eek:

good actor for Geralt: Hayden Christiansee photo: http://www.lightsaberarchives.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/saberwiki:swcreators:anakin_skywalker:anakinskywalker.jpgmaybe he is a little young, but he is a great actor!

WOLF13 said:
good actor for Geralt: Hayden Christiansee photo: http://www.lightsaberarchives.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/saberwiki:swcreators:anakin_skywalker:anakinskywalker.jpgmaybe he is a little young, but he is a great actor!
And he'll bring Star Wars fans flocking to the movie. Seriously now? Hayden Christensen? Someone proposed Christian Bale, I think that would be a better alternative for Geralt. I especially like it when he pulls off that cold look he had in Equilibrium. Great movie, that. You should look it up.

I'd definitely prefer Christian Bale to Hayden Christensen (even if he is canadian). Sorry guys, he may look OK (way too young for me!) but HC cannot act his way out of a wet paper bag IMHO ;D

I do not think any of this suggestions can be more applicable to Geralt than Michał Żebrowski. After all there exist pictures of Christian Bale with them I can imagine him as Geralt. But always when I see over a picture of Hayden Christian and try to picture him as Geralt I have to laugh. He looks like a child. There is nothing of this Geralt like strength and at once worn out and artful expression only Michał Żebrowski had in the series.

I agree that Michał Żebrowski looks pretty fine. I do take issue with his hair and makeup people on the Hexer tv series and movie. It made a really fine looking man look pretty bad imhoso yes! for Michał Żebrowski with better hair and makeup :)

Christian Bale would make a perfect Vilgefortz (you won't meet him until the second Witcher novel).

Personally I would dislike a Witcher movie.While it has the potential to be a decent, even great movie, there is also the other side of the medallion (Haha...).It could be horrible, bad and ... you get the idea.With both there is the problem that for the ordinary person, that movie is The Witcher.Whereas the books and the game portray Geralt and the world differently.This "idea" about what the witcher would be in most peoples mind is distrubing.I say, keep the Witcher to a rather smallish group which enjoys it.

Unkreativ said:
Hollywood would bugger this up anyway, so I hope they leave their fingers from it. Uwe Boll, I warn you... make Pac man or something other appropriate.
Amen to that- the last thing any great story needs is Hollywood. Better to make it sowhere in Europe. I cringe every time Hollywood gets hold of a story like this- it ends up all special effects and no story. The Witcher deserves far better.

Maybe you are right. It is great substance for Hollywood but there are to many of this writers and directory who want to add some of their new ideas or extend the unimportant parts and cut out the important ones like in "the lord of the rings". Or even worst... some could try to make out of substance for three movies one.

no plz, lets witcher stays on the books,game, and original polish movie, dont let make American movie :) they will just ruin it, trust me :) because probalby all movies based on books or games is a fail, because, in book's there is deeper storyline, feelings,etc, and movie is just too short, to show all those things same exciting,as in book :) well,it is possible of course, but movie then should about 10 hours lenght maybe,for one book :) otherwise, it will be just a hollywood slasher,ordinary one , without a soul probably, and u wont get that great feeling, as u feel it,while reading the book :) we all can have Geralt and others in our imagination, and Polish movie,and game helps us to do that aswell :)

well, two things:about the hollywood, witcher movie dream: I think it would be a great idea and I'd like to see Coppolla as producer, Jackson as director and I have no idea who could possibly play Geralt... probably noone of the famous stars... well, maybe Val Kilmer if he transforms himself to the days of Heat...about the polish series...I've watched it with eng subs and I can't understand why everyone attacks it... it's low budget, too low maybe and that's why they could not make it as it should have been, but in general it was a nice effort...If they made the movie, it could be really cool...especially if the guys from CDP participated in the making ;)

hawkssj4 said:
no plz, lets witcher stays on the books,game, and original polish movie, dont let make American movie :) they will just ruin it, trust me :) because probalby all movies based on books or games is a fail, because, in book's there is deeper storyline, feelings,etc, and movie is just too short, to show all those things same exciting,as in book :) well,it is possible of course, but movie then should about 10 hours lenght maybe,for one book :) otherwise, it will be just a hollywood slasher,ordinary one , without a soul probably, and u wont get that great feeling, as u feel it,while reading the book :) we all can have Geralt and others in our imagination, and Polish movie,and game helps us to do that aswell :)
Couldn't agree more.I don't want witcher to become too popsy.

Top Bottom