The WItcher mmorpg ?

+
The WItcher mmorpg ?

HelloI was wondering if CDP ever though about making MMORPG game out of The WItcher ?The story is great - Sapkowskis novels are one of my favorites - we have excellent background (lore)-which could make game world very unique , there are many possibilities for character customizations (different skillsets or character specializations), many races to choose from.What i would like to see is mmo game that is made for mature audience - just like books were , game that is not another eq/wow clone like who/aoc/aion and many more out there.

Braag

Forum veteran
There are some issues with making MMORPG. If you want to actually make a successful MMO which doesn't get its servers shutdown few months after the release since there's not enough people playing it. It requires a lot of man power and a lot time and money so CDP Red would probably need to put all their staff working on it. Secondly MMORPG usually destroys a franchises story. Just look at what happened to Warcraft, they turned a good story into loot grinding and killed off all the great villains.Lastly I doubt CDP Red is able to take such a risk as making a MMO since if it fails it would be a big hit at the studio and the last thing we would like to see is them getting shutdown.So I personally hope they wont go that way. They should just keep making great RPGs.

dragon age was the first single-player MMORPG imo and it failed visualy and designwise in every aspect. most boring design, monsters and locations i have EVER seen (still a good game though, the scope is mind-staggering), I hope for the Witcher to fill out another role: cRPG with dynamic combat and no level scaling.

mothra said:
dragon age was the first single-player MMORPG imo and it failed visualy and designwise in every aspect. most boring design, monsters and locations i have EVER seen (still a good game though, the scope is mind-staggering), I hope for the Witcher to fill out another role: cRPG with dynamic combat and no level scaling.
do you know what MMORPG means? ;)

mothra said:
dragon age was the first single-player MMORPG
Dragon Age is not an MMO. It has no multiplayer (the 2nd M in MMO) whatsoever.I see two main problems with making the world of the Witcher into an MMO.1. Story. The Witcher is very much story driven. Story is much easier to do in single player games than in MMOs. Although by the sounds of it Bioware is trying to change this in The Old Republic. LOTRO has gone some way in this direction but Bioware want to step it up a notch or five. Whether they succeed remains to be seen. However it would be a travesty for the setting of the Witcher to turn into a WoW-style grind-fest.2. Witchers. In a world where you have a small cadre of elite monster fighters who have magical powers AND are masters of the blade, EVERYONE is going to want to play one. And lore-wise you can't have more than a few Witchers. It'd just turn into Star Wars Galaxies all over again.

I don't think this would work very well at all. Aside from Witchers and Sorcerers, I don't think there are really any "factions", unless you think it would be a race-based game, but then how would it be any different from any other Fantasy MMORPG with elves, dwarves, humans, etc? Outside of the story of Geralt and Ciri, I just don't think there's enough there to make a robust MMORPG.Perhaps a future game of the Witcher may have a co-op only multiplayer mode where you can choose between a few Witcher characters and maybe Triss Merigold or Zoltan or something, and go on missions in a very small group....I could see that working, but overall...I don't think it's a good idea at all. As many others have said, the Witcher is story driven, that is its great strength. I think any attempt to make it into a multiplayer experience would just dilute the richness of the game.

Sercan said:
I'm personally not a big fan of MMORPG. The Witcher is good as it is.
Jup I agree. But world of The Witcher is ryly huge and we have here 2 main factions. It's good world for mmo.

Calamir said:
2. Witchers. In a world where you have a small cadre of elite monster fighters who have magical powers AND are masters of the blade, EVERYONE is going to want to play one. And lore-wise you can't have more than a few Witchers. It'd just turn into Star Wars Galaxies all over again.
That's my main concern too... and, how many Geralts will populate the mmorpg Witcherworld? :whatthe:Also mmorpgs are very much item-driven. Everybody wants to have kick-ass gear and wants to pose. In a SP game as we have it with The Witcher, you as the player are alone and don't need to boast abut your equipment.And... I don't want to pay a monthly fee :p ;D

Calamir said:
I see two main problems with making the world of the Witcher into an MMO.1. Story. The Witcher is very much story driven. Story is much easier to do in single player games than in MMOs. 2. Witchers. In a world where you have a small cadre of elite monster fighters who have magical powers AND are masters of the blade, EVERYONE is going to want to play one. And lore-wise you can't have more than a few Witchers. It'd just turn into Star Wars Galaxies all over again.
I think you've done an excellent summary of why The Witcher should not be an MMORPG. Sure, Sapkowski's world is an interesting one ... but do you want to play a peasant in it? I don't!

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I see two main problems with making the world of the Witcher into an MMO.1. Story. The Witcher is very much story driven. Story is much easier to do in single player games than in MMOs. 2. Witchers. In a world where you have a small cadre of elite monster fighters who have magical powers AND are masters of the blade, EVERYONE is going to want to play one. And lore-wise you can't have more than a few Witchers. It'd just turn into Star Wars Galaxies all over again.
I think you've done an excellent summary of why The Witcher should not be an MMORPG. Sure, Sapkowski's world is an interesting one ... but do you want to play a peasant in it? I don't!
As far i know that new KOTOR MMO will be tottaly story driven game. So it can be done.

I think I'll play devil's advocate for this one. I don't want to play a witcher MMO because I don't want what happen to SWG (star Wars Galaxies) to happen to a Witcher MMO. There were too many jedis running around in a world where there should have been a select few. As far as I know, there are only 4 witchers (counting from the other schools being cut off, judging by what Vesemir says at the beginning of the witcher). Everyone would want to play Geralt, and that would not work. I want to play as Geralt, to find out his additional adventures and the intrigue of the witcher world.I think the only way this would work is if the setting was before the Massacre of Kaer Morhen (where there was more witchers then). Still, there would be a huge imbalance issue for PVP. Seeing as witchers are mutated making them stronger than humans. And in this MMO, what would humans be? Peasants? Merchants? Maybe, knights. If the setting was after the Massacre, Everyone would want to be Geralt. Witchers would still be stronger. Another possibility would be giving the player an option of playing a witcher (before the massacre) and a variety of monsters Then, you could make the humans a neutral NPC faction (sort of like the way goblins would be before WoW's cataclysm). Playable drowners? :hmmm:All in all, I would prefer the game to remain SP(or an option of having small scale mutliplayer, where my husband could control Geralt and I could control Triss [or one of other secondary characters]).
m6a6t6i said:
As far i know that new KOTOR MMO will be tottaly story driven game. So it can be done.
TOR's biggest selling point right now is the story driven nature of it. It will be done via flashpoints, where a player and possibly group will enter an instanced area and do the story-line quest there. I would assume the consequence system that they talk about as well will be done by phasing. The storyline class quests will be 100% solo, but able to be completed in groups.

MMOs suck...the witcher is perfect as it is...u wanna play mmos play world of worldcraft or conan....leave this community :mad:

I would love a story-driven Witcher MMORPG but I don't think CDP has the resources at this point. EA has already stated that The Old Republic is the most expensive game they've ever made so I don't see how CDPR could compete with that unless they get an enormous investment from some publisher.

If there is a Witcher mmorpg and we want to avoid a world of Geralt clones, we need many other characters which have the same charisma as Geralt and classes and races which are an alternative to the witchers.hmmm... :hmmm: spontaneous I think of...Regis - vampireDudu - dopplersBorch Three Jackdaws - dragonsMilva - archers Nenneke - priestsDandelion - bardsShani - healerKalkstein - alchemistsCiri - (sources?)various - dryadsvarious - elvesvarious - dwarfesvarious - gnomescriminal juveniles like the Rat gang Assassinsthieveshav'caarenSorcerers and sorceressesknights

First thing first : There is no MMORPG in the world.There is some Adventure game with a gameplay about "level".Actually, A Witcher MMOGs is, I think, only a nightmare.The MMOG's World is young, 2001-2002. Actually, we can't play a MMORPG cause there no gamedesign for make a real RPG with a lot of players.But There is some good news : CCP, EVE Online's Creators, are devellopping a MMOG in the World of Darkness (a great RPG licence), with the creator's team of the WoD.When the game will be out, we will see if a real gamedesign for MMORPG is possible.

SalemPulsifer said:
But There is some good news : CCP, EVE Online's Creators, are devellopping a MMOG in the World of Darkness (a great RPG licence), with the creator's team of the WoD.
Really? :eek:May you link this plz?

Top Bottom