The Witcher on Mac

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Witcher on Mac

There are only two reasons why I regret having a tasty brand new Mac Book Pro: 1. I can't get a PS crack 2. THERE IS NO "WIEDZMIN" WHICH RUNS on mac os x. I called the CD project support center and they told me that you haven't even planned creating The Witcher for macs, what really suprised me, considering that the game was strongly focused on targeting US and Western Europe, where macs are quite popular.....IS THERE ANY CHANCE that you will release a mac version (soon)? I really don't wish to pay Microsoft a broken grosz :) ever again for their !((#(Q&EIJ!! system...

I know, I feel you, and I wish it was easier.Monopolies are evil for this reason among many others, I am a bit ashamed this is how it is. "I do not like... the omission of a bill of rights providing clearly and without the aid of restriction against monopolies..." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. ME 6:387Hopefully someone will take a multi-platform risk again, like with Postal 2 which has Mac version support. Heck even a better more streamlined OS to choose outside of even these two would be nice...Although, I think there is a thread floating about with a XP version of Linux running it so, who knows. I might ask the developers directly myself, I just don't have a Mac, or Linux.

Well, are you running Tiger or Leopard? You can dual boot with Windows XP. Only problem is the graphics cards suck in notebooks - they are not gaming platforms despite what the manufacturers outrageously claim.

I'm powered with a MacBook Pro (2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2,2 GHz and GF 8600GT on board) at home and an 24" iMac at work. I think I won't use Windows ever again ;D I'm very happy how Macs and OS X work.

FallenZen said:
I'm powered with a MacBook Pro (2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2,2 GHz and GF 8600GT on board) at home and an 24" iMac at work. I think I won't use Windows ever again ;D I'm very happy how Macs and OS X work.
Wait until it gets more popular, again.

:)I'm MA895 MacBook Pro user too and I played the Witcher on Boot Camp Windows XP without any problems. But I have to admit that 8600M GT is not enough for this game to be ran at maximum video quality. :( Even with all the tuning that can be done to optimize XP work and video drivers.Unfortunately.But this one didn't take me from finishing this great game with even more great pleasure. ;)

IAmEternaL said:
:)I'm MA895 MacBook Pro user too and I played the Witcher on Boot Camp Windows XP without any problems. But I have to admit that 8600M GT is not enough for this game to be ran at maximum video quality. :( Even with all the tuning that can be done to optimize XP work and video drivers.Unfortunately.But this one didn't take me from finishing this great game with even more great pleasure. ;)
Again goes the thing, Be Free versus Be nurtured and satisfied without learning.

nona999 said:
There are only two reasons why I regret having a tasty brand new Mac Book Pro: 1. I can't get a PS crack 2. THERE IS NO "WIEDZMIN" WHICH RUNS on mac os x. I called the CD project support center and they told me that you haven't even planned creating The Witcher for macs, what really suprised me, considering that the game was strongly focused on targeting US and Western Europe, where macs are quite popular.....IS THERE ANY CHANCE that you will release a mac version (soon)? I really don't wish to pay Microsoft a broken grosz :) ever again for their !((#(Q&EIJ!! system...
There is no chance of a Mac version, ever. There is also no chance of a Linux version, ever. I think that's sad, but that's the way it is.The original Aurora engine used Open GL for its graphics layer, and so was reasonably portable between different platforms (I run NWN on Linux without problems). However, CD Projekt decided to replace the Open GL based graphics engine with their own Direct X based graphics engine. Direct X is Microsoft proprietary technology, and is definitely not portable.The graphics in The Witcher are far superior to any previous Aurora engine game. Rewriting the graphics engine has paid off for all of us in terms of visuals, immersiveness, user experience. I think CD Projekt have made a great job of it. But I honestly wonder at - am surprised at - their choice of Direct X over Open GL, because it does limit their options.

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
There is no chance of a Mac version, ever. There is also no chance of a Linux version, ever. I think that's sad, but that's the way it is.The original Aurora engine used Open GL for its graphics layer, and so was reasonably portable between different platforms (I run NWN on Linux without problems). However, CD Projekt decided to replace the Open GL based graphics engine with their own Direct X based graphics engine. Direct X is Microsoft proprietary technology, and is definitely not portable.The graphics in The Witcher are far superior to any previous Aurora engine game. Rewriting the graphics engine has paid off for all of us in terms of visuals, immersiveness, user experience. I think CD Projekt have made a great job of it. But I honestly wonder at - am surprised at - their choice of Direct X over Open GL, because it does limit their options.
I am too but if you look at numbers you have Nvidia which is great at GL and now great at DirectX. On the other side you have Ati which is not so great at GL but great at DirectX. Perhaps they want Microsoft Support? I think it was an Strategical Decission or maybe I'm just supposing stuff and all its just Bollocks. And then tehy just did it because they couldn't get a good OpenGL developing platform/ people.

Despingator said:
Despingator said:
Despingator said:
I am too but if you look at numbers you have Nvidia which is great at GL and now great at DirectX. On the other side you have Ati which is not so great at GL but great at DirectX. Perhaps they want Microsoft Support? I think it was an Strategical Decission or maybe I'm just supposing stuff and all its just Bollocks. And then tehy just did it because they couldn't get a good OpenGL developing platform/ people.
I think it was a strategic decision, and it's quite likely that one of the reasons is that they wanted to get close to Microsoft. It's the only real answer I can see since I don't think the technical arguments are at all strong. Of course it's quite reasonable for a business to decide that it's in its best interests to keep in with a monopolist...

Now that Macs internally are 100% x86 Intel boxes, you can use BootCamp to run Windows (I believe BootCamp supports both XP and Vista) and then you can run The Witcher natively under Windows--which is an order of magnitude better than using something like WINE under OS X because WINE is a software emulator, and especially when it comes to games, will slow them down dramatically, often to the point of unplayability, if the game you are trying to run under WINE will even run under it at all. The Mac OS market (now OS X) is, worldwide, about 2% of the worldwide Windows market, which means that original games for OS X are few and far between, and only a very few Windows games are ported to OS X at all for the same reason--the entire Mac OS market is too small to support OS X game developers. As well, Microsoft has spent huge sums of money over the years building and supporting Windows gaming APIs (Direct X) without which game development would be far more difficult and costly than it currently is, and even so it isn't inexpensive to go about developing a game these days. By comparison, Apple has spent little to nothing in its history to support Mac OS game developers as gaming has never been a priority at Apple, long before the Mac became an x86 Intel box. The great thing about BootCamp from Apple's position as a hardware OEM is that it eliminates the chief objection many people had about buying a Mac traditionally-- software and hardware compatibility. No one now need fear being left out of any software development cycle because as Macs today are the very same Intel boxes that Windows users buy, today's Mac owner can purchase and run ROOB the very same software that is available for Windows--in addition to buying and using software compatible with OS X. The only added expense for a Mac owner is the cost of the Windows OS he chooses to buy and install, because BootCamp is now standard inside OS X and included, but when you compare that cost to what a Mac owner used to have to spend to achieve very limited software compatibility with Windows (all of the various and expensive x86 hardware emulator cards Apple sold for its PPC boxes come to mind) it's easy to see the tremendous advantages of the neo x86 Mac of today in regard to its greatly enhanced software compatibility.But as others have already pointed out here, rarely is the situation quite so simple as we might like it. You've also got to know whether the hardware that comes in your neo x86 Mac is sufficiently powerful to allow you to run 3d games. In some of the Mac desktops this shouldn't be a problem, but in some Mac laptops, just as is true for some x86 Windows-OEM laptops, it could well be that the hardware you've bought isn't suitable for supporting a 3d-gaming environment--in which case BootCamp and a copy of Windows amounts to only half of what you'll need.

hi there, Im having problems with the game. I got a macbook pro and running Xp with boot camp. Xp seems to be working fine but not the game. It took me a long time to install and once I got up and going I noticed long load times. I know thats normal in this game but after I aquired the Sign and used it it stayed stuck in that loading screen! I tried several time with the same result! I tried maybe downloading new nvidia driver but nothing! not instead when I pop in the game It says that I dont meet the requirements! im like ok, I just played though the first part of the tutorial......any suggestions????

Wow. That sounds really frustrating. I'm also running The Witcher on a MacBook Pro using Boot Camp to run Windows XP, and I'm not having any problems. (For awhile I thought I was, but that turned out be be user error. *embarrassed blush*)There's a Tech Support section on this board, where you can probably get more expert help than anything I can give you. I CAN tell you, though, that it's possible to get this game to run on a MacBook using Boot Camp.Things to try:1. Reboot your computer.2.. Turn off all background tasks. To do this, hit ctrl-alt-del (all at the same time) to bring up the Task Manager. Tap the "User Name" at the top, and that should order all of your processes by user name. Do NOT turn off anything but that which is under your user name (don't turn off anything listed as system, network service, or local service). Under your user name, you can hit "end task" for everything except Task Manager and Explorer.exe.If the game starts but is slow, try lowering the graphics settings in the options menu, so that your computer has less to do.I hope you can get it working; this game is really fun!

you can avoid the system requirement by modifying your shortcut to run: "C:\Program Files\The Witcher\System\witcher.exe" -dontForceMinReqsthe path above is just an example, replace it with yoursanyway, did you install patch 1.3? ( mirrors: here , there , here too )it's a retail boxed game? a digital download one? ( patch mirror for digital download version )did you try with another dvd drive (external one) ? another macbook pro user resolved his problems using another drivepost your exact system specs, Windows version, updates, video drivers used/tested

well here are my specs: 2gig ram, nvidia 8600 g 256 mbt, 2.4 ghz core duo. windows xp sp2. I did use patch 1.3 not sure if it installed or not cuz the way boot camp works reboots weird! maybe I should try installing vista instead?? I play all the way up to the point where use use your !st sign then loads till eternity! As far as I can tell xp is runing fine but I dont have any Idea how to verify this. thanx, Ill continue to try things as I read throught the forums and suggestions I receive THANX a bunch. ps. boxed version

in your \The Witcher\ folder there is a file called "release.txt"if you open it with Notepad you'll see a numberfor patch 1.2 the number should be: 314for patch 1.3 the number should be: 517what's yours?

1.3 patch! now it just freezes from the get go. Im wondering if my Xp is faulty since I got it ripped from IT dept. Im going to try a different version! or do you guys recommend vista 32bit? if so which one home basic or premium???

gipht1 said:
1.3 patch! now it just freezes from the get go. Im wondering if my Xp is faulty since I got it ripped from IT dept. Im going to try a different version! or do you guys recommend vista 32bit? if so which one home basic or premium???
actually most users got better performance in game with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom