The Witcher on Mac

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,The Witcher 1.3 keeps crashing on me on a MacBook Pro running Boot Camp (XP SP2). 2.16 GHz2 GB RAM256 MB Radeon X1600I am at the tavern in the first town and it crashes the whole system, causing a whole system reboot.I was able to play without problems until this part, but now it continuously crashes when I try to leave the tavern. :(Any help is appreciated!Sarah

Thanks for the tip.I went through and updated DirectX to 9.0c, updated XP to SP3, updated the Apple Bootcamp drivers to 2.1, and changed the antistropic (sp?) filter down to 8 from 16. The game is now running. I don't know what change did the trick, but for now it's all good.What is antistropic filtering?

It basically makes textures look better when you are looking at them from a distance or from a akward angles

I believe you can get the WinXP/Vista software for your mac and install it there - or at least that's what a friend of mine claims he can do on his mac with other windows-only games.

it costs like 130$ just do get boot camp window xp/vista....is there any way to play this on mac without spending a ton of money....?Please do not double post

You could try free software like WINE.There is MacOS X version (I think...) and as far as I know Witcher can be run using Wine...I think it's at least worth trying if you don't have 130$ to spend... :whistle:

Otaku said:
There is MacOS X version (I think...) and as far as I know Witcher can be run using Wine...
see my sig, that's Linux specific, but it shows you can play the game with WINE (for OS X)now, if we all Linux/Mac users would unite so that game devs/publishers hear our call... at least they'll have less Windows versions sold, so that they turn to our side too... aaaargh :(

BlindSight said:
I dont really think a mac will have what it takes to run this game or any new generation game
they're running dual/quad-core Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs with nVidia 8600M ( the laptops ) or any other nVidia/ATI GPU of their choice ( on the desktops )... what are you saying? :D

Oh i guess i havent looked into mac's for a while, i thought they were stil runing their half backed mac components

I just got a new macbook.. I haven't tried Wine yet. I'm still debating whether I should go for a bootcamp or use some virtual machine software

frostshoxx said:
I just got a new macbook.. I haven't tried Wine yet. I'm still debating whether I should go for a bootcamp or use some virtual machine software
use either WINE or Bootcamp, virtual machines don't have video aceleration

Hi everyone.The topic title pretty much explains itself, so I'm looking forward to a reply.Thanks in advance ;)

Nope. I have heard I can do that, but I'd appreciate some help specifically on how to. In addition, would smt like this risk my mac?

well, i'm no mac user but i saw that on my brother's mac. he is using both mac osx and windows xp. he can run windows xp or use an utility on mac osx called "unity" which allows to switch between systems, having both loaded at the same time. you'll surely find more informations about it on dedicated forums.there's absolutely no risk using windows on mac computers. you have intel CPU after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom