The Witcher Online

+
I'm assuming OP has lived under a rock for the past year and failed to see ESO's travesty with respect to the superior ES franchise.

ES isn't good as a whole for a while already. In order for the roleplaying server to succeed, it needs a good base. So failures of individual companies to do things right is not an indicator of what's possible.

I have no interest in a Witcher MMO, but I would like to see more RPGS set in the Witcher universe where you play as your own character and forge your own adventure, similar to other single-player RPGS like DA, ES, and ME.

Keep multiplayer out of my Witcher games..or CDPR games in general (same goes for Cyberpunk).

I want to see all their resources and time invested and allocated in creating and delivering us great single player experiences.

HELL NO! Look at what happened to Elder Scrolls when they tried to make an MMO. I am not saying ESO is a bad game, but it is no Skyrim. Keep the Witcher series, Witcher. Maybe add some online component, but no MMO please. You will ruin it.

and what we would all be a witcher?

TBH no fantasy MMO makes any sense. everyone being able to be a mage/witcher doesn't make any sense in terms of how any realistic fantasy world functions.

well there is no point in being human if you can be a witcher, that's for sure. No point in being a witcher if you can be a sorceress either. These things operate on fundamentally different power levels.

Also there's no point in a witcher world if there is no politics. Politics+MMOs typically don't match either since everyone needs to be able to access all content all content must be equal.

well there is no point in being human if you can be a witcher, that's for sure. No point in being a witcher if you can be a sorceress either.
I'm not sure why you view that as the main point in a roleplaying game. The fun of roleplaying lies not in the making the most powerful character, but in actually playing the role of your character. Grinding for the sake of grinding or creating overpowered Mary Sues is frowned upon in RPG communities.

Also there's no point in a witcher world if there is no politics. Politics+MMOs typically don't match either since everyone needs to be able to access all content all content must be equal.

Why is it impossible? New politics plots can be given to players to create. That's what roleplaying is for - crafting the story. I'm not saying that Witcher settings are easy to apply in a MMORPG. But I don't see why it should be much harder than any other. It's always challenging.

Last edited:
Most mmo games contrary to their title aren't really role playing games but theme parks. If a player pays for a game they expect to be able to access all its content. The most attractive content, witchers and mages, has to be accessible. It's accessible everyone has to access it. If that content isn't accessible then there is no point in using the witcher universe.

Is it possible to make such a game? Yes. However players would have to do a thing which en mass they will never do, sublimate their own entitlement to the content they pay for.

Rather than using the witcher, a better rpg mmo wouldn't involve wide power imbalance between characters. Instead it could be something like a purely historical setting, or star citizen.

Also please don't mistake my opinion here as how I think all games should function, this is simply the reality of gaming mmos, how they function with player market desires. Modern mmos are not about making stories. The mmo that did that best was UO, and has yet to be replicated in my experience.

Most mmo games contrary to their title aren't really role playing games but theme parks. If a player pays for a game they expect to be able to access all its content. The most attractive content, witchers and mages, has to be accessible. It's accessible everyone has to access it. If that content isn't accessible then there is no point in using the witcher universe.

Is it possible to make such a game? Yes. However players would have to do a thing which en mass they will never do, sublimate their own entitlement to the content they pay for.

Rather than using the witcher, a better rpg mmo wouldn't involve wide power imbalance between characters. Instead it could be something like a purely historical setting, or star citizen.

Also please don't mistake my opinion here as how I think all games should function, this is simply the reality of gaming mmos, how they function with player market desires. Modern mmos are not about making stories. The mmo that did that best was UO, and has yet to be replicated in my experience.

As you said, most. Not all. There are clearly roleplaying communities (MMORPGs) and simply on-line multiplayer games in whatever settings with no roleplaying involved. That's why they drop RPG from MMORPG and become MMO(G). Those don't mix well. In roleplaying games out-of-character behavior is simply forbidden as a rule, and not tolerated by GMs (characters are kicked if they violate it repeatedly).

In non roleplaying ones it can be total chaos, no one cares about anything. Some address this problem by providing several servers, such as one for roleplaying, and one "do whatever you want". It usually works satisfactory for both groups. But if some settings aren't conductive for non roleplaying type - it can be simply forbidden. So you'll get only roleplayers on the server and those who aren't interested won't use it.

Last edited:
The issue as I see it is centered around gameplay and market mechanics, not player choice. Anything can be made into an rpg by player choice, corral them onto a server for role playing and naturally it begets some role playing environment, that doesn't mean what has been created is a role playing game. that doesn't mean the witcher as a franchise or created world is well suited to it or the player by it.

A better context for role playing within the witcher universe is a forum board for stories, since the chances of a witcher mmo are slim at best. It's been said this is the last witcher game and that cdpr will be moving on to other ips after.

As much as I'd like to make my own Witcher to go on adventures in the game's world (though at least I can by writing and stuff), Death-by-MMO is something I hope to never, ever, ever, see become the sad fate for this awesome series. Because that's what going MMO is for a series like this is: Death, and a pretty undignified one at that. End on a high note with Witcher 3 if this is to be the last Witcher game.

The issue as I see it is centered around gameplay and market mechanics, not player choice. Anything can be made into an rpg by player choice, corral them onto a server for role playing and naturally it begets some role playing environment, that doesn't mean what has been created is a role playing game. that doesn't mean the witcher as a franchise or created world is well suited to it or the player by it.

A better context for role playing within the witcher universe is a forum board for stories, since the chances of a witcher mmo are slim at best. It's been said this is the last witcher game and that cdpr will be moving on to other ips after.

Still, settings define roleplaying. You wouldn't roleplay a space rogue in the Witcher game. The way I see it, Witcher settings are as good as any other for roleplaying. But I agree that CDPR are probably not interested in creating an on-line RPG with it.

As much as I'd like to make my own Witcher to go on adventures in the game's world (though at least I can by writing and stuff), Death-by-MMO is something I hope to never, ever, ever, see become the sad fate for this awesome series. Because that's what going MMO is for a series like this is: Death, and a pretty undignified one at that. End on a high note with Witcher 3 if this is to be the last Witcher game.

I totally agree with this!!!

off topic- and not an attack. I have no issues with your sexual preference, but I do have an issue parading it around. I do not walk around Claiming my heterosexual preference. i have no problem if you are proud to be gay. I am proud to be not gay. It doesn't make either of us better than the other. What it does do is cxreate some akwardness to the concversations on here. Also, it invites unsavory types to "poke and prod" at you or to be down right derogatory.(They are less than human for doing so IHMO) Obviously the mods will handle those types of people, Still the question begs to be asked? Why parade it around like a badge of honor? Bedroom antics should stay just there, the bedroom. See, lets say you put a Rainbow Flag on your car and a bunch of "Gay is Good" stickers on your car. It would not surprise me if some moronic, judgmental types defaced your car, then possibly harass you physically. Why, bring this attention to yourself to complete strangers? It does nothing but promote, idiocy, hate,prejudice. Those people are wrong of course, but the old saying two wrongs do not make a right apply.

I was young once. I used to like to fight. I used to push peoples buttons. I had bumper stickers that incited all kinds of righteous adventure. Then I let a friend borrow that car for a few days. He ended up in the hospital. Three"religious zealot rednecks" beat him pretty bad. I felt horrible. Even though it wasn't me that beat him up, my choices lead to it.

I guess what I am trying to say is, do not poke an angry bear with a stick. While caged that bear maybe no threat, but sooner or later that bear will get loose and seek you out. I respect your choices, but not everybody is that way. This applies to all kinds of issues, not just sexuality. Take "baby on board" signs in car windows. Why on earth would you want to advertise that? Molesters, baby thieves, etc.....all know who to look for first.

It's a great universe to roleplay in Gilrond but IMO not when set to gameplay mechanics.

However mages/crazy classes are all over other mmos (WOW, ESO). I'm stating my opinion with the realization I'm saying these games don't work either. Naturally people will disagree because those games are a success (financially). I just personally feel they do a disservice to either the source material or the concept of magic.

It's a great universe to roleplay in Gilrond but IMO not when set to gameplay mechanics.

However mages/crazy classes are all over other mmos (WOW, ESO). I'm stating my opinion with the realization I'm saying these games don't work either. Naturally people will disagree because those games are a success (financially). I just personally feel they do a disservice to either the source material or the concept of magic.

I'm not sure about ESO (never really paid any attention) but WOW in general has a poor reputation amongst roleplayers as a place for mindless hack-n-slash, grinding and constant OOC behavior. So it's definitely a failed example if roleplaying is concerned. Which reminds me:

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=10
http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=11

Last edited:
@Gilrond-i-Virdan
That's exactly my argument. WOW has taken fantasy and set gameplay mechanics that appeal to a certain crowd of players. However It fails utterly to be a good breeding ground for roleplay BECAUSE of those gameplay mechanics. Again it makes much more sense to create a pen and paper solution than an MMO one, because scale matters. If you and 3 friends formed a band of witchers, or sorceresses, or Scoia'tael or any mixture, that could make sense. You are 4 people in the vast world of the witcher. However apply those same rules to 500k simultaneous players and STORY ceases to make sense.

@redwood36: Scale has to be addressed appropriately. I.e. segment servers (with maximum limit of players) and have GMs on staff who curate roleplaying and prevent OOC behavior. If organization can't handle it (not enough GMs, not enough servers etc.) - stop accepting new players. That's about it, and that's how actual roleplaying games work. It goes against the notion of "make more money" naturally, but if some group wants to have a roleplaying game, there is no other choice.

Ones I personally participated in, were relatively small and free to begin with, and operated with private donors who support those projects. But I don't think it's impossible to have a commercial one, as long as owners aren't for idea of dropping the quality of roleplaying for the sake of more money.

I didn't really try it yet, but I've heard that GuildWars 2 has a serious roleplaying community and they do something similar to what I described above to manage the scale: http://guildwars2roleplayers.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom