The Witcher opens in my taskbar, plays audio, but doesn't display anything.

+
[ Here is the link to the original thread I posted on the Steam discussion : https://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/1738841319803974970/ ]

I downloaded the game a week ago and I've put about 10 hours into the game since then. However, I had to download it again when I lost the files because I was forced to reformat my laptop. By the time the game had finished downloading, I loaded it up and was shocked to find that the game played the audio for the opening sequence, but did not display anything.

I could hear the game working, from the producer's title sequence, the opening cinematic, and even the main menu. But the game itself did not display the appropriate visuals that accompanied said audio. Instead, all I had was a black screen and, when I moved my mouse around, the cursor.

I could hear the mouse interacting with the main menu, but I couldn't see what exactly was happening.

It might be a resolution issue. After starting the game you could press alt + enter to switch to windows mode. If that let’s you see the graphics, you can try to change the resolution to a more appropriate one and go back to full screen.

Also you could go to the folder where the game is located, right click on the witcher.exe file, then click on properties - compatibility - and pick an earlier windows version, like XP.

Top Bottom