The Witcher – over 600,000 copies sold!

+
The Witcher – over 600,000 copies sold!

CD Projekt RED is proud to announce that the company’s debut video game production, The Witcher, has sold more than 600,000 copies worldwide in just three months. The exceptionally warm welcome given to The Witcher by media and gamers around the world facilitated the commercial success of our game. This grand welcome is illustrated by 48 awards and distinctions — a number which is constantly rising — including the prestigious “PC RPG of the Year” from popular outlets like IGN.com, GameSpy and the US edition of PC Gamer, as well as the award for “Readers’ Choice Winner – Best RPG” at Gamespot (see the full list of awards). The game has received exceptionally high ratings from players all over the world, which is manifested in high average scores in players’ reviews at sites like Metacritics (9.4/10), GameTrailers (9.1/10) and Gamespot (8.8/10). Adam Kiciński, CD Projekt RED Joint CEO, commented on the sales results: “We are very happy with The Witcher’s performance to date. Our goal was — and still is — to reach one million copies sold during the first year. 600,000 games sold in just three months brings us much closer to this ambitious goal. It’s a great success for us, made all the more impressive by the fact that The Witcher was created by a completely new team and it is our debut both as a game developer and in bringing our products to a global audience. The task was not easy, as The Witcher brand was completely unknown in many markets, and it was released in a busy season alongside franchises that have been on the market for many years. Yet, I can confidently say that we’ve passed this trial victoriously. Actually, only now — as we’ve conquered many of the initial barriers — can we spread our wings, which, of course, we intend to do. Such success wouldn’t be possible without our publishers’ support – Atari, Noviy Disk and the publishing branch of CD Projekt. They all put a lot of work into the game’s promotion in individual markets.” Adam Kiciński also hints at the developer’s plans for the near future: “Our plans include continuous game support, the release of the powerful Djinni module editor, the continued release of game updates and patches, and, in late spring, gamers can expect a pretty big surprise, which will be revealed at a press conference really soon – February 18th! We are still working on making the game better and we will actively support our fan community, which is getting bigger and bigger. Unfortunately I can’t reveal anything further at this time, but I assure you that we won’t rest on our laurels and we have very promising plans for the future. We set our standards very high with The Witcher and we surely don’t want to lower them in the future.”

Good to hear ;DI wonder what the big surprise is though... an expansion or a console port? Perhaps an arena mode (be it online or single player) from the 'fight' screenshot? Neither would be a real surprise :p

Woooow :eek:I wasn't even suspecting that sale is going so well.Hopefully TW will reach 1.000.000 copies sold at the end of 2008 ;)

600.000 sold copies? I bought one of them ;D
[..] in late spring, gamers can expect a pretty big surprise, which will be revealed at a press conference really soon [ ...]
If Forbes.com considers TW as one of the landmarks in the gaming future... this smells like a sequel*btwis it a pure coincidence that on 18th February the Game Developers Conference starts as well? http://www.gdconf.com/ ]:->*this is an assumption

PetraSilie said:
this smells like a sequel*
... which sounds nice, but a sequel less than a year after the original game? Doesn't sound very plausible.
PetraSilie said:
I wonder what the big surprise is though... an expansion or a console port?
Expansion has been announced for quite some time, so I guess it's not it... A console port? I remember numerous statements from the devs that "The Witcher" would always be a PC-exclusive title... Of course, in face of recent official announcement of "Mass Effect" PC version, one can never be sure.
PetraSilie said:
Perhaps an arena mode (be it online or single player) from the 'fight' screenshot?
Oi, you arena freaks... Even if it was that, I think calling it a "big surprise" would be somewhat overstating matters.

ausir

Forum veteran
... which sounds nice, but a sequel less than a year after the original game? Doesn't sound very plausible.
They might announce the sequel now. It will still take them some time to make it.

Ausir said:
They might announce the sequel now. It will still take them some time to make it.
From what they said, they are going to announce the "surprise" on 18/02, and it will actually come out in late spring. Thus my scepticism.

ausir

Forum veteran
Right, I missed that part. Maybe expansion then? Contrary to what you said, they didn't officially announce any expansion yet. They just said there might be some expansions in the future.

Great news and it would be great if the news was an add on or maybe some big extension (can always hope)

CD Projekt sold 140k in Poland (official data) and unknown number of copies in Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary (probably about 10-15k together)Noviy Disk sold more than 200k in Russia, Ukraine, Bellorus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and CIS countries (official data).Atari sold rest - about 250k in rest of the world

I read somewhere.......here maybe? that CDPR was looking for a programmer.....specialized in console s**t stuff ;).So I think that CDPR will announce the release of The Witcher on the wii for late spring. I never tried the wii !!!! I am a PC player, but the portability of The Witcher to the wii would be absolutely far out. For sure I buy a wii machine if The witcher is playable on it. Lets dream folks :dead: ::) :eek:Lets be patient and sooner or later we will be back in Geralt's flesh.Keep on truckin.....

They aren't looking for any console programmers, they're looking for X360 programmers. A Wii release is extremely unlikely.

AdrianXII said:
Excelent news and I hope that a big expansion pack is on it`s way!
exactly, I also hope this is the soil for future packs and add-onsGreetz from EuropeOldgamerwww.normalverkehr.com/category/spiele-games/

I'm happy to see the game selling well, it's truly a fantastic achievement (not even considering it's the first game from the studio :)).Can't wait for the big announcement - I'm praying for sequel (unlikely this early) or expansion (more likely) news, and I hope it isn't just an announcement of a console port (not that a console port would be a bad thing - more people would be able to play this fantastic game!).Anyway, cheers to CDProjekt Red! :beer:

Brysiu said:
...and, in late spring, gamers can expect a pretty big surprise, which will be revealed at a press conference really soon
How about a little hint, ey? Just to keep us guessing...c'mon, don't be heartless...only one or two words like "addon" or "longer XXX-scenes"...
Brysiu said:
A Wii release is extremely unlikely.
Aw...and I was looking forward to doing the swordfighting moves myself. ;D

Curiously, while there is no mention of it in the newspost, the press release also mentions this:
Currently, CD Projekt RED consists of 70 people working on two unannounced projects.

Well, I wonder what those two projects are... Although, to be frank - and please don't kill me - I hope they're not connected with "The Witcher". I don't want them to be forever known as "the guys who made The Witcher"...

I think one project is probably The Witcher expansion and the other is likely The Witcher X360 port.

Top Bottom