The Witcher – over 600,000 copies sold!

+
well.... congrats guys!!! now there's a reason to celebrate! :beer: :beer:

Congadulations, Cd Projekt and the Witcher have been a breath of fresh air in a very stale room for me. I wish you many more successes(especially as that would mean more titles for me to play ;)

moocow21 said:
I'm happy to see the game selling well, it's truly a fantastic achievement (not even considering it's the first game from the studio :)).Can't wait for the big announcement - I'm praying for sequel (unlikely this early) or expansion (more likely) news, and I hope it isn't just an announcement of a console port (not that a console port would be a bad thing - more people would be able to play this fantastic game!).Anyway, cheers to CDProjekt Red! :beer:
sellig well? For one of the best RPG's in years, I think that is low, hell, Crysis sold 1.4 million in 2 months and u need a beast of a machine to run it. PC gamers need to stop the piracy, they are shooting themselves in the foot. don't man to soind negative, glad cdproject met their goals, but, a game as good as this deserves much more sales then this, Pc gamers whine when PC games get ported, yet their own piracy is hurting the very platform they love.

Yes,but don't forget that it's a first game of an unknown studio.You can't really expect it to sell like for example Bioware's newest title,simply because it's not as known and it took time to make ppl know it's worth it.With a possible sequel i expect things will be quite different,since TW recieved such high praises from serious RPG gamers.

Aquma said:
Yes,but don't forget that it's a first game of an unknown studio.You can't really expect it to sell like for example Bioware's newest title,simply because it's not as known and it took time to make ppl know it's worth it.With a possible sequel i expect things will be quite different,since TW recieved such high praises from serious RPG gamers.
Good point, but still, it has tonnes of advertising here on the web, word of mouth, I think it is a sign of the state Pc gaming is in when such a good game hits 600000, it is cheered, when more then that are probably playing pirated ciopies.

I would have to agree on the unknown studio part, also unless you are familiar with where to look, you might not even have found out about it till recently. Games by the bigger studios do get more visibility and advertising. I only found out about the Witcher because I was looking for a new game to play and happened to stumble across a pre-release review while surfing game review sites, and it happened to be in my favorite genre, so I bought it instead of Hellgate London (but it was a close decision at the time). A number of my friends though, also avid gamers, had not heard of it at all until I started raving at them about the game.

Starwolf said:
I would have to agree on the unknown studio part, also unless you are familiar with where to look, you might not even have found out about it till recently. Games by the bigger studios do get more visibility and advertising. I only found out about the Witcher because I was looking for a new game to play and happened to stumble across a pre-release review while surfing game review sites, and it happened to be in my favorite genre, so I bought it instead of Hellgate London (but it was a close decision at the time). A number of my friends though, also avid gamers, had not heard of it at all until I started raving at them about the game.
Really, every site I went on had The witcher banners on it, it got great reviews, and it is a very well known game on any forum. The problem is, piracy. Pirates are really hurting PC gaming, but they won't stop.

newfgamer said:
Really, every site I went on had The witcher banners on it, it got great reviews, and it is a very well known game on any forum.
Well that's the problem - forums represent such a small minority of people.

Does the 600 000 also include online sales?Shooters will always be more popular than rpg's. That's a sad given fact.Also,what may drive ppl away from the witcher is the fact that's it is categorized as ACTION rpg. I know a few guys who wouldn't touch an action rpg even with a long stick. Not everyone is fond of numerous diablo clones and there are also ppl who think diablo is the worst thing that could have happened to the rpg genre.I have tried my best to convince them otherwise,to tell them that the witcher is not like your a typical action rpg and luckily one of them had the guts to try it and he liked it.There are so many factors as to why the sales are "low",like ppl waiting for the may release/trusting a reviewer who "bashes" the game/not having a powerful pc enough to play and yes of course your favourite reason of them all...piracy.But I see piracy as just a way to spread the news,there will always be rotten eggs to spoil everything,but can't ppl realize that most ppl are good. A person might pirate a game,but if he likes it,he'll buy it and yes you got the ones who will never buy a game even if it's good.Oh and one more thing,games are CONSUMER GOODS. we don't have to buy every single game that are released...that's a thing most ppl tend to forget,especially the publishers.That said,I'm looking forward to may and might have to buy the game again,since I gave my copy to a friend and I don't know if I'll ever get it back. ;)

Except the pirate versions are often mis-representative of the real game. How many flames about 'this is the buggiest game in existance' are actually just a result of someone using an illegal version? It's a significant number for games in general, so you can end up loosing sales not just of the pirated copies but due to the pirates putting other people off buying the game without good reason.

its fantastik so many copies of this game are sold!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:but its no wonder bcause it is such a fantastic game isnt it ??? ??? ???this game the witcher was good from the firts second i started to play it :eek:so who is really wondered about 600000 games are sold?i think nobody ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Dgerald80 8)

Gerald80 said:
its fantastik so many copies of this game are sold!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:but its no wonder bcause it is such a fantastic game isnt it ??? ??? ???this game the witcher was good from the firts second i started to play it :eek:so who is really wondered about 600000 games are sold?i think nobody ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Dgerald80 8)
Hey, Gerald. Here's a tip: don't use so many emots, they make your posts less readable. And may I extend a warm welcome to the forum on behalf of the whole community. Grab a beer :beer:

Is it possible to get new sales figures from CD Project Red (or from ATARI)?Because I want to know,too, how it looks like with the 1,000,000-Limit?

Well, for an updated number, I can verify at least 600,001 have sold since I picked it up today at BestBuy!! :)I'm looking forward to digging in as soon as I get out of work, funny how work gets in the way of a good time!!SlapStik

Top Bottom