The Witcher Patch 1.5 problems and solutions

+
Threesixtyci said:
Is the patch compatible with the hotfix? And is it worth the bother, if you have the *orginal* Witcher patched up to 1.4 + the hotifx?
yep, the TAGES thing is removed ( which causes some troubles to many users )

Two things.A. Yes TAGES Drivers were removed.B. Secondly It's obviously the software. The need of a third party software to detect that is unnecessary. When DirectX Log shows zero errors in its log file and the program stops it's operation prior to the Menu splash screen, it is obviously a compatibility issue with software and the 64 bit operating system. More importantly as with "The Witcher" on its original release can carry the "Games for Windows" logo across its box meaning it has been thoroughly approved for Windows Vista operating systems and doesn't use an OpenAL platform. How can that be when the entire operating system itself is built on OpenAL. However with the assistance of Creative Labs and third party developers we were given ALchemy to address such Direct Sound based games. The Graphical Artifact seen only in this title indicates that stress testing of multiple GPU scenarios did not go into account when releasing the patch. These are not assumptions. I also installed and tested another full install on my Intel i7 system based with SLi 295GTX cards. Same issue is repeated. During launch a black bar outlines the cursor and part of the menu UI is displayed through the entire sequence. After which time the game stops working prior to the menu load and crashes to desktop. No error is displayed. No log containing any hardware failure. Just simple program failure. In closing. I have done work with other engines such as Unreal Engine 3, CryEngine2, and Source(l4Dupdate). I can tell you that this is a simple incompatibility issue that was overlooked, and would not be surprised if this issue persisted by the numbers very shortly for active Witcher players on similar builds. Thank you for your time, and please continue to support your community as we have supported you. -Hooks

Righthooks said:
A. Yes TAGES Drivers were removed.B. Secondly It's obviously the software.
so like you just could of attached those files, right?the game uses the Aurora engine, the one used back in 2002 for Neverwinter Nights 1, that means no multi cpu support and limited multi gpu support, you can't just compare that to UE/Source/CryEngine2/etc

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
A. Yes TAGES Drivers were removed.B. Secondly It's obviously the software.
so like you just could of attached those files, right?the game uses the Aurora engine, the one used back in 2002 for Neverwinter Nights 1, that means no multi cpu support and limited multi gpu support, you can't just compare that to UE/Source/CryEngine2/etc
I apologize, I believe I was misunderstood. I was not comparing the games engine whatsoever. I was simply stating that these issues occur in all engines regardless of time released or features that are available i.e DirectX10+, ambient occlusion, parallax mapping, soft skin or any of the hotter new features being implemented in games today. I meant that an engines behavior in certain scenarios is affected greatly by the hardware in which its played on. For example you wouldn't use 16QCSAA on a 5 series NVIDIA GPU, because it simply does not work as the feature is absent in compatibility from the hardware. In the same manor an engine must be acclimated to support newer hardware scenarios to perform correctly and allow functionality under these configurations. This does not mean it has to utilize Quad Core CPUs, or capitalize on DDR3 or DDR5 VRAM it just means it has to accept the configuration and function. I understand it's a slightly dated engine, however avid gamers are not on dated hardware. Granted there are many configurations out there to test, but when conflicts emerge on hardware that was only just available within this year on 64bit operating systems which are becoming increasingly more pronounced in the gaming industry. One has to question testing ethic. We cannot downgrade or hardware or operating systems to meet the needs of a game, but the game software can be upgraded to accept new hardware. It has been done before. If that was indeed the case.As for an error log. There is not a .txt file present as windows stops the operation. The error is more visual than anything else. When you can see a glitch...a glitch is present. It seems the crash happens exactly at the point the menu music begins. After "The Witcher" title is displayed. However the glitch is present through entire launch sequence. I will attempt to disable all of the introductions through .ini or configuration files. If this resolves the issue I will post it. However it seems that it is more hardware based considering the introduction music causes the crash. I will also try several frequency changes as well under Vista. This same issue was present in Activision's Prototype game. As well as 2k's Bioshock on unpatched release. I would attach an error file, but one is not generated. It treats the crash as a non responding crash. I have attached the DirectX Diagnostic as well. Thank you for your time and support.

Update: Edited .bik files for boot sequence to remove or disable introduction videos. Issue still persists at launch screen. As of now the game is still unplayable. Fails to reach main menu. and cursor/UI glitch was still present. Leaning more towards ongoing sound issue. As it happens just as the introduction music begins to stream. I will continue my efforts to adjust polarity and frequency outputs. :::EDIT/UPDATE:::I give up on my end. Please assist. There is no error log to go by. I have done everything in my power for workarounds. The same issue is replicated, rendering the game unplayable.

I posted a thread on this here since it wasnt yet discussed, but I'll also mention in it this thread. I'm getting the blur bug after some cut scenes after applying the 1.5 patch. I never got any blur issue during my entire play through of The Witcher EE, so this is definitely odd. Especially considering the 1.5 patch supposedly resolved the blur bug issue. I can reproduce the problem in the 'Deceits' add on adventure after the cut scene with the talking drowner (doll quest). System:Intel C2D E6750Asus P5K-E motherboardEvga GTX260 (latest official drivers)6GB G.Skill RAMWindows XP Pro SP3I have an OEM version of the game patched to 1.5. Played through the entire EE game before patch 1.5 was released without a problem.

Same problem here. See screenshots below. XPSP3, C2D8500, GTX260 (latest WHQL driver 186.18), Audigy 2 ZS.

Is anyone playing with 1.5 and NOT having problems? I downloaded the patch last night, updated my drivers , all pumped to play when I get home from work. Should I just do a reinstall without 1.5? I really don't care about the "additional adventures" , don't have any issues with dvd in drive and I have never seen the blurring issue. Windows Vista 32. Nvidia 8800 GT OC version. Pentium 4 3 ghz Quad-core processor.

nickaepi said:
Is anyone playing with 1.5 and NOT having problems?
The people who had no problems are mostly off playing, rather than posting, so I think you're getting a skewed sample of users.But for the record, I've installed the 1.5 patch and have had no problems.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
The people who had no problems are mostly off playing, rather than posting, so I think you're getting a skewed sample of users.But for the record, I've installed the 1.5 patch and have had no problems.
That is relevant why? As a producer of any product one issue getting past quality control is enough to improve a product. Let alone having a plethora of outstanding issues preventing the consumer from enjoying a product. I am happy for your success with being able to play the game. However this is a PC game. Many factors go into its playability. Such as hardware configurations. It isn't as simple as plug and play. Perhaps your system is fortunate. However this is not the only forum where issues have been stated. Its made its way to NVIDIA, Hard Forum and Guru 3d. So as it stands I would say the collection of issues point to an unpolished patch. I certainly hope that efforts are being made to correct this. As I too would like to enjoy the game hassle free. Because I am a consumer who owns two copies of this product. Not being able to use it at all is unsatisfactory.

Sko1 said:
Same problem here. See screenshots below. XPSP3, C2D8500, GTX260 (latest WHQL driver 186.18), Audigy 2 ZS.
That is identical to my issue. Thank you for posting. your screenshots captured what I was describing. I as of now have found no solution. I have tried driver roll back, as well as fresh install. For both sound card and GPU. Fresh Install of game didn't resolve either. I hope they are working on this.

bbersted said:
Just patched a cleanly installed copy of the witcher with patch 1.4 first and then 1.5. All installations went well and the new adventures are seen when the game loads. However, while I get music and sound effects in the new adventures just fine, as well as subtitles, no sound of the speech. The origianl game still works fine as well as speech, as well as the previously downloaded adventure "side efects". Very strange as it is only the new adventures that came with patch 1.5 that do not have speech. Anyone else have this probelm?
From the The Witcher 1.5 ReadMe File, dated July 06, 2009: All adventures are translated to English and Polish, and only have subtitles (no voices).
bbersted said:
bbersted said:
bbersted said:
That is relevant why?
Someone asked the question, "Is anyone playing with 1.5 and NOT having problems?" I answered that question.Wraiths of Quiet Hamlet never crashed on me. Deceits crashed frequently until I uninstalled the TAGES drivers, as Licaon_Kter recommends. The uninstaller for the TAGES drivers can be found at http://tagesprotection.com/main.htm?page=minimum.htm, and the post with Licaon_Kter's directions is here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24705.0.

Will you release the italian version too? I cannot install this patch on my country version of the game ( and i don't want to install the english version since i don't like it at all)

Gday,I ve just updated my system to Windows XP SP3 and I am having problems with running the witcher. The game ran fine on SP2 now it won't get past the intro and while its playing the intro my mouse is a black rectangle and there is some weird box on the left side of the screen. I tried reinstalling my Graphics card drivers and it still does it.My Sys Specs are: INTEL CD E8200 2.66 4 GB RAM GEFORCE 8800GT SOUNDBLASTER X-FI GAMER WINDOWS XP SP3Any help will be much appreciated ...I also attached errlog so hope it helps UPDATE:Attached my PCWIZARD analysisCheers

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Is the patch compatible with the hotfix? And is it worth the bother, if you have the *orginal* Witcher patched up to 1.4 + the hotifx?
yep, the TAGES thing is removed ( which causes some troubles to many users )
I didn't understand your response....I own the orginal Witcher and have it patched up to 1.4 and the EAX/Blur hotfix.... So, I already don't need the DVD in the drive to play the game. And the hotfix cures the blur problem. Although in my case the hotfix also resulted in dropped audio during bink movie playback. Most noticable during the opening movie and opening title screens. I'm more curious if the 1.5 patch will fix the opening movie audio for me or not.Anyway my question was: Is the 1.5 patch compatible with the 1.4 patch with the hotfix pre-installed.... Or do I have to revert back to a clean install and climb up to 1.4 and then patch with 1.5, so to remove the hotfix patch from the equation.And on the flip side, is installing 1.5 even worth the bother, because it's seems that the 1.5 patch description adds nothing, in my case; with me owning the orginal Witcher, which already doesn't need a DVD in the drive to play..... And with the hotfix already fixing the blur problem; even though it added a bink playback problem of dropped audio; in my instanceAnd before it's suggested, PCWizard freezes on my PC when it starts to do a sensor scan.... for both versions of PC Wizard.... So, I cannot provide that information....----------updateWell I installed the patch.... Doesn't seem to be any change on my case. Still have audio cutoff for the openings bink movies... But for all I know the hotfix is overriding the 1.5 patch. I guess the only way to be 100% sure is to uninstall everything and start from scratch, again. Only problem with that is that it takes my PC about 3 hours to install the game and the 1.4 patch.... And I'm willing to bet after doing all that waiting, I'll still end up with the same thing I have now... dropped audio for the opening movies. Wierd that with the 1.4 patch alone I don't get any problems with the opening movies, but I then get that blur problem. And with the 1.3 patch I get zero problems anywhere...but I then don't get any of the enhanced version stuff....

Righthooks said:
I give up on my end. Please assist. There is no error log to go by. I have done everything in my power for workarounds. The same issue is replicated, rendering the game unplayable.
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )i want the PCWizard report not the dxdiag one, please
Righthooks said:
I posted a thread on this here since it wasnt yet discussed, but I'll also mention in it this thread.
if the blur bug is not present in the main game and only in modules then keep posting in your thread and not here
Righthooks said:
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )
Righthooks said:
Is anyone playing with 1.5 and NOT having problems? I downloaded the patch last night, updated my drivers , all pumped to play when I get home from work. Should I just do a reinstall without 1.5? I really don't care about the "additional adventures" , don't have any issues with dvd in drive and I have never seen the blurring issue. Windows Vista 32. Nvidia 8800 GT OC version. Pentium 4 3 ghz Quad-core processor.
what is your problem exactly?
Righthooks said:
Will you release the italian version too? I cannot install this patch on my country version of the game ( and i don't want to install the english version since i don't like it at all)
you can select several languages, Italian too, from the patch installer. what is the problem?
Righthooks said:
opening title screens. I'm more curious if the 1.5 patch will fix the opening movie audio for me or not.Anyway my question was: Is the 1.5 patch compatible with the 1.4 patch with the hotfix pre-installed.... Or do I have to revert back to a clean install and climb up to 1.4 and then patch with 1.5, so to remove the hotfix patch from the equation.
looks like not, the audio bug was not yet traced/experienced by me, and patch 1.5 does not fix it, nor does it intend to :wall:just for the record, did you guys remove TAGES too ?

DrizztDoUrden said:
My Sys Specs are: INTEL CD E8200 2.66 4 GB RAM GEFORCE 8800GT SOUNDBLASTER X-FI GAMER WINDOWS XP SP3
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )get Patch 1.5: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24724.0

LicaonKter said:
looks like not, the audio bug was not yet traced/experienced by me, and patch 1.5 does not fix it, nor does is intend to :wall:
My only guess is that it's a processor thing, then. I'm on a single core and a AMD 3000+, at that. You running a single core, too? Or is it a duel core? Maybe once I upgrade my PC to a duel or quad, the problem will go away. But, I'm not really planning on doing that anytime, soon. What I can tell you about the dropped audio, is that it's only the bink movie's audio that drops in and out.... The ingame audio plays fine. What you end up with is that the female singing/music and all the sound effects during the movie all drop in and out, but the talking of the narrarator is heard perfectly during the movie. I can only guess it's due to a lack of PC cycles of a single core processor compared to a duel processor or a faster processor than what I'm using.-----updatedJust did the instructions to remove TAGES from my PC.... seems that a version of it was installed on my PC, but no change as far as bink audio cutoff, for me...

Threesixtyci said:
dropped audio, is that it's only the bink movie's audio that drops in and out.... The ingame audio plays fine. What you end up with is that the female singing and the sound effects during the movie drop in and out, but the talking of that old sounding dude is heard throughout the movie.... Basicly, only the embedded sounds within the bink movie drops in and out. I can only guess it's due to a lack of PC cycles....of a single core processor compared to a duel processor, which I'm sure almost everyone uses for gaming, now....
to quote myself:
Threesixtyci said:
the game uses the Aurora engine, the one used back in 2002 for Neverwinter Nights 1, that means no multi cpu support and limited multi gpu support
so, no, a dual/quad won't helpdo at least attach a dxdiag report then

I have already done a dxdiag attachment. ...but never got a response from it. (didn't get a download count from it either....) http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21034.msg484937#msg484937Anyway all I can say is that the movie playback on my system works fine pre 1.4 patch. Worked with the 1.4 patch without the hotfix, but caused the blur glitch. And the hotfix fixed the blur glitch, but broke the movie audio. And the 1.5 patch seems to be no change from the 1.4+hotfix.Anyway... I don't really care anymore.... I've gotten used to the broken audio during movie playback. Game doesn't have much bink movies, anyway..... besides I've completed the game pre-1.4, and have already seen the bink movies with their audio ingame during that playthru. Have yet played a complete game with the enhanced version. Still on the outskirt town... Guess, I just haven't felt like playing witcher in the past 5 months, as of yet... I'll get around to it eventually.Here's something to add, with "Bink and Smasher" movie player, the audio plays fine... It's just the ingame movie player that has the sound cutout problems. Whatever version that the game is using... is just broken on my end. As for the Auroa engine being a non multicore engine, I bet that dual cores still help out when it comes to movie playback. The way I figure is that the internal bink movie player is taking advantage of the duel cores even if the Auroa engine isn't. Anyway, you never answered the question. Are you using a multi core system or a single core? If all single core CPU's are acting this way... then... it's gotta be the reason... right?

Top Bottom