The Witcher Patch 1.5 problems and solutions

+
LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
I played the EE v1.4 till the end of Act II and it ran like a dream; there were no problems anywhere. However immediately after the 1.5 patch I'm having crash problems in the Trade Quarter. Only in the Trade Quarter, though. Here the game is laggy all the time and has the tendency to hang at unexpected times, especially when I'm entering there after spending a long time in the other areas. In the latest instance it hung when I was saving my game after returning to Leeuvarden having completed the Sewer and Swamp quests for the Salamandra documents; I ended up having to replay half an hour
that's not an issues with patch 1.5 or the game... it's rather that the previous chapter where lighter on the resource needs, the chapter 3 town is way bigger and liver so it needs more power, my advice: lower the game settings until it gets playable :wave:eek:n Vista do disable Autosave too
I tried that and it didn't help; it was still laggy as ever. And now I discover it wasn't exclusive to the Trade quarter at all. Now I'm in Act IV, and though it runs smoothly now it still crashes to desktop randomly. As such I have to keep saving every 5 minutes. In the latest instant I noticed the map(not mini-map) developed a visual glitch and became all black(except for marked locations) in the 10 minutes prior to the crash. This is a symptom that shows up shortly before each crash. I hope this helps

Righthooks said:
Righthooks said:
Those drivers don't work. They render my screen at 640X480 4bit color upon reboot everytime. I've installed the latest drivers from nvidia for my 2 nvidia quadro 3450 sdi's, 182.65_quadro_winxp2k_english_whql.exe. The nvidia website says to download these drivers if you have a quadro sdi product and I do. I disabled Unlocker also. I've reattached both files again. Thanks.
Personal suggestion. Workstation GPU's and gaming don't mix very well. A lot of that has to do with scaling and animation algorithms within NVIDIA's drivers itself. Quadros are more for graphics design workstation scenarios than actually playing the games themselves. Although they are powerful processors, they suffer because that power doesn't operate in the same manor a gaming graphics card would. Also if you meant 3450 x2 meaning two cards(SLI). Under XP use these drivers for your 3450's XP32- http://www.nvidia.com/object/Quadro_winxp_x32_186.30_whql.html Vista 64- http://www.nvidia.com/object/Quadro_winvista_x64_186.30_whql.html These were released yesterday for Quadro cards, and seem to address some ongoing issues. Goodluck. ::EDIT:: Make sure to manually delete the NVIDIA temporary file left behind after installation. This can also improve boot time as NVIDIA control panel only searches for one registry entity.
These drivers produce the same result. Witcher 1.0 runs fine with my setup. Great even. Enhanced Edition in any flavor doesn't.

LicaonKter said:
guys for now if it works as installed from the DVDs and with the hotfix ( http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21009.0 ) just play it like that and ignore patch 1.5 for now
That's the problem though, it doesn't work. My issue has nothing to do with the patch, my base game (EE) just will not run.

Bah! :mad: The game just crashed to desktop for the 12th time in 5 days, and at a pretty crucial part too. I saved just before it happened so it's fine, but nothing breaks immersion more than crashing in the middle of an important fight. Oh, and having to watch your back all the time by quicksaving every 5 minutes. No performance issues, no warnings(not even the 'black map' bug from before). I'll reinstall and repatch once this playthrough ends and see if it helps, but I'd seriously appreciate some advice. It's a pity CDProjekt doesn't seem to be patching any residual bugs left after the EE, which wasn't 'completely bug free' as advertised.Once again, I run Vista SP2 with Radeon HD 3870. I downloaded and installed the 1.4 patch, the uncensor mod, all the adventures and the 1.5 patch in that order. Could this have something to do with the instability?

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
I have already done a dxdiag attachment. ...but never got a response from it. (didn't get a download count from it either....)
14 March 2009, 09:28:57...i should of remembered that, right? ? ? :evil: maybe attach a recent one :panyway, yep, dual core, can you post the dates of your MSS32.DLL and BINKW.DLL files?or you can try to overwrite the file thewitcher/system/miles/mss32.dll with the one from the thewitcher/system folder ( as the file from the miles folder is not updated )
Heh.. got caught up on something.... and geez what's up with this post space thing... When I reach the bottom it starts jumping all over the place and I can't access the bottom hardly at all. Anyway here's the new dxdiag file.As for MSS32.dll and Binkw.dll..... umm...MSS32.dll the miles one is: 7.0.20.0 @ 379KB 7/28/07 the system one is: 7.2.2.0 @ 440KB 4/22/09As for Binkw.dll I have nothing on that via an explorer search on my system. I do have binkw32.dll files, though..... 1.9.8.0 @ 167KB 4/22/09copying over that mss32.dll had no effect. I'm going to try that other guys tip, if I can find the same version number of bink on my PC....------edited, fix verified as far as I'm concerned:tgfmfc had the solution... it worked. Binkw32.dll version 1.9.1.0 @ 168KB, totally worked. I'm very impressed. Heh... took me about 2 hours to find it online, too. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FKAX1IR9 I'd give him karma, but apparently I don't have enough points... oh well.... Thanx anyway tgfmfc. I've been trying to get a fix since the hotpatch was realeased.... damn... I can't even see what I'm typing right now... window thing is jumping all over the place.... constantly reseting to the top.... and only bouncing down as I type letters.... this totally sucks.... what's wrong with this forum? Forget about highlighting stuff and editing... misspelled words....

"Display driver nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has successfully recovered"After I played the game for the first time and it worked fine (EE installed, Patch 1.5 installed, bonus adventures, Language pack all done)I then closed it after saving and tried to run it again, and every single time I do, the Atari intro movie refuses to complete, it just goes really slowand doesn't show any progression, then it tries to play more, then it just boots me to my desktop with that error.My PC looks the following:Vista Home Premium 64-bitIntel Core i7 920 CPU @ 2.67GhzNvidia GeForce 2606GB Corsair DDR3700 Watt PSU128GB Patriot Solid State Driveand if it's relevant, the MB is an Asus P6T Deluxe.I have no idea what to do about this. Also, if it means anything.When I hit the patch page on the Witcher site, it says my game version is 1.5. blah blahbut when I've got the game minimized and it's on the task bar, it still says 1.4. etc...

After I upgraded to 1.5 the intro glitches alot the sound disappears and come back and dissappera again for longer time. I cant hear the music and effects noise like when there fighting. How do I fix this problem?

You're in luck..... turns out that Binkw32.dll version 1.9.1.0 works fine. Trick is getting the thing. If you are lucky it's buried somewhere on you PC via another game. You can do a search of your PC for that file and dig into properties of each you find and hope you can find one with that version number (I say this just in case. I mean I don't think these .dll files are considered freeware per say...). I had no luck with that.... I had to search on line for many hours before I weeded it out. Wasn't easy....guy who figured it out: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24645.msg530821#msg530821link to 1.9.1.0: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24645.msg5318242#msg5318242Worked for me anyway... Only downside is that the logo movies take a wee bit longer to start up, but other than that, works perfectly..... just rename the old "Binkw32.dll" as "Binkw32.dll.old" or something.... just in case. I mean, skipping audio is still better than broken video.Anyway I suspect the skipping is due to our CPU's not being powerful enought to handle the newer .dll version of Bink. You using a single core, too? My CPU is a single core 939 AMD 3000+.

I have the original retail game version which I upgraded to the 1.4.5.1282 version (EE). The game has worked okay (occasional crashes and other issues but overall it functions well). I thought that patch 1.5 sounded even better, so I downloaded and tried to install it. I received the following error: "FEATURE TRANSFER ERROR. Feature: Module. Component: Modules. File: C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\The Witcher (and the rest is cut off by the error box). Error: Access is denied."After that the entire game installation was screwed up and I had to completely uninstall and reinstall it. I did a fresh install, disabling antivirus software, and this time I tried putting everything in the same folder as per the FAQ's on installations, with the exact same result (and yes I am the administrator, running Windows XP). Same error. One odd thing - I don't even have a C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder.... there is no "Documents" folder within the "All Users" folder. I can't figure out what the patcher is trying to get to in there. My saved games are in the "My Documents" folder... is that what the patcher is trying to get to? Does it modify the saved games? Everything should be in the exact same folder as the original installation and patch 1.4 put them, as I have not moved anything around.I now have to uninstall and reinstall the game for the second time today, so I am not happy. I suppose I can live without patch 1.5 since I have for this long, but it does not seem right that I can get an older patch to work but not a newer one. Does anyone have any information about this error or any suggestions? Did I need to upgrade to patch 1.4 .5.1303 before I try to get version 1.5? By the way, all the patch servers seem to be down at the moment.

The answer to your question about which patches to install when is here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.msg397072#msg397072I'm afraid I can't help with the rest of your problem, since I'm not a tech person.

Is there a particular reason moderators are choosing to remove forums started with unsolved issues. That’s three times now I haven’t been able to continue my posts because the topic has disappeared. Is it to avoid the fact people are complaining about the game not working publicly? I’m still here. Problem still here. "The Witcher" still not running. I would continue on the original post, but its gone now. Which was also a sticky post on 1.5 and the game not running. Have you come up with any solution or am I wasting my time.

I'd posted this problem before in the Patch 1.5 problems thread and it got moved to the 'Witcher won't start after EE upgrade' thread. I can't understand why that happened because this has nothing to do with the game not starting. Which is why I'm posting it here. Basically, my problem is that the game starts and runs fine but crash to desktop at absolutely random times without any warning. No performance issues, no glitches. In my previous playthrough I could only circumvent this by quicksaving every 5 minutes, then restarting my system and the game to continue whenever it crashed(usually twice a session). But there's no freakin way I'm going to tolerate that now. Deleting all my savegames and mods hasn't helped. Someone please please give me some advice on this matter: any advice would be welcome. I really want to play this game to the very end(all of them) and explore all the choices and so on. But the way it goes belly-up on me whenever I'm really engrossed in it does not make for an enjoyable experience.Yet again, I run Windows Vista SP2 with Radeon HD3870. The problem started immediately after I installed patch 1.5.

Yea I got single core cpu its a centrino pentium m 2.00GHz processor. Whats the best video card to play with this game? I set everything on highest settings and play at 1280 x 800 and when I start to fight I get between 15 fps to 25 fps.

Beats me... running a 8600GT, myself.... And never go above 1024x768 on any of my games. Also never turn on anti-alasing, just don't like the blurring it gives off. Anyway, imagine the more expensive the card, the better.As for the binkw32.dll 1.9.1.0, give it a try.... probably solve that audio skipping problem.

Righthooks said:
Is there a particular reason moderators are choosing to remove forums started with unsolved issues. That’s three times now I haven’t been able to continue my posts because the topic has disappeared. Is it to avoid the fact people are complaining about the game not working publicly? I’m still here. Problem still here. "The Witcher" still not running. I would continue on the original post, but its gone now. Which was also a sticky post on 1.5 and the game not running. Have you come up with any solution or am I wasting my time.
did your posts dissapear from here http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=466624;sa=showPosts too ? :hmmm:i'm back. BTW, something new?

Nothing new. Issues still unresolved, no indication CDP will ever correct the bugs still left after the EE, though I suppose they don't need to. Hopefully the next patch will do what a patch is supposed to and fix errors instead of adding more adventures.

godkingofdivineroad said:
Nothing new. Issues still unresolved, no indication CDP will ever correct the bugs still left after the EE, though I suppose they don't need to. Hopefully the next patch will do what a patch is supposed to and fix errors instead of adding more adventures.
will see what the future holds...until then...@all the users that came here with this problem after 15 July:read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )10x

Hey I have the "Witcher has encountered a problem and needs to close", error. Have not ever been able to play this game. Started with the 1.4 EE retail dvd, then got the message, updated vid card drivers, same message, updated to 1.5 (.1304), same message, read some more and tried the move the sound acceleration down one knotch thing, same message. Here is my PC Wizard report. Have just uninstalled TAGES also, same message.

Well, given the number of problems others are obviously having and that no else seems to be having problems just getting the patch to install in the first place, I will forget patch 1.5 and move on.

i'm also havin problems with the new enhanced version. down loaded all patches and fixes and fricken game wont even start up..it says the witcher encountered a problem and needs to close..wtf...this is crap..my specs are pentium 4 cpu,3.07 ghz 1.00 gb ram..graphics card geforce 7900 gt/gto.....here is error report [MOD]Attach NOT paste your errlog[/MOD]

Top Bottom