THE WITCHER REMASTER PROJECT

+
A modification that moves the graphics from newer installments of the Witcher series to the first part of trilogy.
I start my work with simple things such as swords, items, decorations and elements of the environment, ending with complex models of locations and characters.
At the same time, I try to maintain the original style of the first part of the adventures of Geralt of Rivia.

Are you waiting for The Witcher 1 on The Witcher 3 engine? And what would you say about The Witcher 3 on The Witcher 1 engine from 2008?
Check out
NexusMods and Facebook for more information.

Soon, at the beginning, I will prepare a package of models and textures of swords from The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3 and additions. Here are some examples of converted models:

Aerondight from The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine (curiosity sword model consists of about 10,000 polygons, which is roughly as many as the Geralt model from the prologue in The Witcher 1)
witcher_2020_08_13_02_34_36_202.png

Temerian steel sword from The Witcher 2
witcher_2020_08_16_23_12_03_256.jpg

Rusty sword from The Witcher 3
witcher_2020_08_17_23_18_58_405.jpg

Gwalhir from The Witcher 2
witcher_2020_08_23_22_36_21_460.jpg

In my spare time, I also test character models that are already more complicated.
An interesting fact is that many say that Aurora engine on which the first part of The Witcher (and Neverwinter Nights) runs is very limited. Typically, there was written a limit of around 2000 polygons (plus 10% after modifications from CD RED Projekt) per model. According to the thread I found on Neverwinter Nights 2 forum (it works on a different graphics engine, which should be comparable to Aurora engine after modifications from CD RED Projekt), the model's geometry limit is already 10,000 polygons.

However, I managed to open a model in Djinni that consists of over 20,000 polygons (but animations don't work properly on it). 😁
Zrzut ekranu (11).png

Currently I am working on transferring skeleton to model and weighing bones because the animations don't match to model.
Zrzut ekranu (14).png

By the way, I also checked how furniture models from The Witcher 3 look on Aurora engine.
tablev2s.jpg

I postponed the transfer of the character model to The Witcher until later because of the great difficulty and the amount of time it takes.

I'm trying to refresh inn from Act One.If possible, I would like to replace the decoration models (furniture, plates, etc.) with newer ones (not necessarily from newer games from the series), I will leave the entire location model (walls, beams, roof, etc.) intact, I will only improve the textures on them.I also got access to a great library of PBR and 3D Scanned materials that I want to apply.

I also discovered a new way to texturize the floor using normal maps to add 3D depth to textures as originally the textures are hand painted on a flat surface using a special 3DS Max plugin.

Zrzut ekranu (18).jpg

Do you believe the aurora engine could handle what you are trying to achieve?

The performance of the first game is terrible, even in modern hardware. The culprit is the aurora engine.

Taking it from the practical side, I will give an example of the Aerondight sword, which is available in my modification. The entire character model of Geralt in "shirt" version from the first act consists of about 10,000 polygons, which is as many as the Aerondight sword from my mod (where originally all sword models maximum number of polygons was 1000). There are no drops in FPS or CTD on my PC. Moreover, I was able to transfer the model from W3, which consists of 20,000 polygons and open it in Djinni (only the animations still don't work, I'm working on it), which according to many NWN and The Witcher forums was impossible due to the theoretical limits given.
There are many things to improve in this game, you just have to find a way to do it.

Nice work! Stupid question: How did you export the location models from the original game saveing the v maps and importing it into the 3d software (;I use Blender)? I tired to export the level mesh with the Witcher 3 models converter but did have no luck with the textures. Never invested much time into it though. It would be nice to know because with textures it the world model or some models could be used in the the Redkit for witcher 2 in the background or in an edited version. Thanks!

@hub997 really nice work! I support the question from @Nemomallo. I somehow exported the location to the The Witcher 3 for fun, but without textures. Can you explain me how you exported the location and the uv maps textures into 3dsmax?

When working with the models, it turned out that after adding one of the silver sword models, it replaced Aerondight sword in the cutscene, so I decided to fix it.
Zrzut ekranu (19).png

Post automatically merged:

Holy sword of the Order transferred from The Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone.
witcher_2020_09_20_02_57_38_960.jpg

Last edited:
This looks very promising! I'm looking forward to your next updates! The roughly 10000 polyons on Aerondight and Geralt's whole Witcher 1 model put things into perspective. ;)

Hi!
What would be very intresting, is to bring new characters into TW1! I also succeeded with static models, but I haven't researched animated characters yet. During my work on TW2 geralt head mod, I found bone positions, bone rotations, bone order in 3dsMax is important to bring a proper model into the game. I wonder how TW1 works on this field? I guess I have to recreate the original skeleton first, but that is the tricky part. At the moment I don't have time to immers in this, but I also follow the topic :)

I took a little break from The Witcher Remster Project. I wanted to plan it somehow to make it go better.

By the way, I'm learning how to create games on the Unity engine on ready assets.
The main mechanics and graphics of the game are now mostly available as ready-made assets, you just need to match them to your game.

Someday I would like to create a game in witcher universe.
Zrzut ekranu (20).png

Superior Dol Blathanna Sword from The Witcher 3 transferred as Rune Sword From Dol Blathanna.
witcher_2020_10_11_23_30_05_413.png

Transferred Harvall from The Witcher 3.
witcher_2020_10_11_23_59_52_749.jpg

Very impressive work done, I will follow the development. Only now I was able to find out whether the transfer of models from the Witcher to somewhere further than the ninth 3DsMax, which, by the way, does not work on new systems anymore.

I've been away for a long time, I'll show you why.
Djinni!_2020_11_04_17_41_56_563.png
Djinni!_2020_11_04_19_05_01_947.png
Djinni!_2020_11_04_17_42_07_131.jpg

Wine Festival tent from Blood and Wine expansion pack for The Witcher 3.

Djinni!_2020_11_14_23_38_43_566.png
Djinni!_2020_11_14_22_42_18_942.png
Djinni!_2020_11_15_19_06_00_191.png

Vegetation from Wine Festival from Blood and Wine expansion pack for The Witcher 3.
Sorry for scaling the image, but I took screenshots in Djinni.

Floor from Wine Festival in Toussaint - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (only the painting that was under the stage in the middle is missing).
Preview in Djinni.
Djinni!_2020_12_06_23_18_32_503.png

Little update :giggle:
Djinni!_2020_12_10_21_22_22_475.png

A small show with character models, because on Polish forum users were asking "is it possible?", of course not everything is exactly done, eg. normal maps do not have an alpha channel, which is responsible for specular maps (that's why Geralt shines so much). The skeleton is not in its place, so when I turn on the animation Geralt turns into a distorted ghoul that runs on two legs 🤣

The model is built of 35,884 polygons and 22,946 vertexes, it also has all original 22 textures from The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt.

Screenshots taken in Djinni.
Djinni!_2020_12_10_23_47_52_391.png
Djinni!_2020_12_10_23_47_58_737.png
Djinni!_2020_12_10_23_48_02_371.png
Djinni!_2020_12_10_23_48_15_272.png
Djinni!_2020_12_10_23_48_18_908.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom