The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf Announced

+
drazac said:
They have every right to be upset... it was never a problem of announcing console version, nor was for saying console will have this and that (its fine, two different audiences, two different approaches), the big problem was THE FEAR of WHAT WILL BECOME AFTERWARDS... far to many studios have abandoned PC gaming for console gaming.. they didn't said it official, but we c the results... There was an Unreal Tournament once
Oddly enough, UT3 is getting an expansion pack on the PC...Whoever saw that one coming?I never did, for one -- given how Epic whined about the PC sales for UT3 and GOW .
now there is Gears of War, there was an KOTOR once, now its Mass Effect... not to mention dozens of lousy ports from consoles to PC..
I liked GOW PC -- it's a shame Epic won't port GOW2 to the PC.I did like KOTOR PC quite a bit.Mass Effect PC, EA can call me when they drop the price to $10 or they remove the DRM install limit restrictions a bit.Even allowing revokes would go a little ways for me...The problem is companies drop a game for the console first, then port it later the PC. The problem is when you port it to the PC later, if there already was a huge console fanbase already that already bought your product on the console, are these guys likely going to spend just another $50 to play it on the PC? NO. Who the heck wants to rebuy a game on the PC that they already bought on the console? Duh, so already, you're already stuck with the console version likely going to out the PC version -- the console version already had a HUGE jump, since it was on the market FIRST.I think BethSoft had it right -- release the PC and console versions for Fallout 3 all on the same day. This way, they are giving people a choice of what version to buy, either the PC or one of the console versions -- let the consumer figure it out.

Guest 2084367

brandyinindiana said:
please explain to me why people are still in a tizzy about this?
I dont have to explain it, its all in my previous post.. but if you missed it here's the verdict: plp were feared for the "WHAT IF" future of The Witcher series (why? given the past examples of what other companies did when they entered console market, nobody can blame them)... but fact remains, CDPR has, and still is, supporting PC and The Witcher communityyes, time will come when eventually you'll need to upgrade your PC... but also, time will come to replace the console... so choose whatever you want, nobody is forcing you (i only stated that prices are not what they used to be)at mystered... yeah, you are right about UT3, was given an bad example, sry my bad...KOTOR was an great and superb RPG game.. liked it a lot... Mass Effect is ok, but nowhere deep as KOTORif CDPR goes multiplatform all the way... i wish they do the same like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2... there is one game designed for consoles (gears of war style) the other for PC it requires more skill and planing (rainbow six series except last two sequels)

Mass Effect is ok, but nowhere deep as KOTOR
I do need to get Mass Effect PC, when Bioware-EA drops some of its restrictions...
If CDPR goes multiplatform all the way... i wish they do the same like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2... there is one game designed for consoles (gears of war style) the other for PC it requires more skill and planing (rainbow six series except last two sequels)
First off, I'm a PC gamer -- and I don't even think that's fair to console gamers -- for the PC version of a game to say have more "planning allowed." Why should console gamers get a "dumbed-down" game?If the GRAW game designers can't seem to develop a logical interface for "planning" around a X360 gamepad for the X360 version of the game, why can't the GRAW X360 version also support a KB/mouse setup?That'd solve that problem in a heartbeat.Of course, I don't know why I'm asking that -- since the GRAW PC versions was released AFTER the console versions.

McAvelin said:
Come ooooon guys, why are we not grateful for what we have, better than being angry for something we don't have already. They have NO DUTY to give us Witcher 2...
This is ture, plus alot of us got the EE for free because we registering are game CDPR did not have to do that they could have made us all buy it again.

McAvelin said:
Come ooooon guys, why are we not grateful for what we have
Don't get me wrong here -- Witcher and Witcher EE were great.That part can't be taken away.
better than being angry for something we don't have already.
The point is there might not be a PC version of The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf.I'm sure since there's a X360 version planned, there's no reason they can't do a strict port of that to the PC -- especially since the PC supports the X360 controller.
They have NO DUTY to give us Witcher 2...
Of course they don't.Though, why would they NOT bring Witcher 2 to the PC?They built a PC community by releasing Witcher to the PC first -- they sold over a cool one million copies on the PC of Witcher / Witcher EE.

I think this is awesome. It's like a fresh breath that give me something to wait. Wait to see more and follow the process. I just like it so much even though I do not have XBOX or PS2/PS3 and maybe never will. But I still just love it. The blue-eyed wolf medallion looks great. Though I love the red one as well. Which one is nicer? Umm.. blue's new look is a good for a change and it's nice ghostly, but I like red's round shapes a bit more. Maybe in TW2 emerald-eyed?That new video trailer is just too good. I love everything in it. Of course it would have been nice to see some Geralt's magic...but great job, anyway! And sorry, I can't speak (or write) good English :(

brandyinindiana said:
Either way, no matter which one of us is right or wrong in this, it still doesn't change the fact that you WILL have to eventually upgrade your PC (whether its in a year or ten years makes no nevermind), which is my original point to begin with - an individual console is cheaper in the long run. And even if Sony reaches PS100, buying each console in that line will still be a matter of choice, not necessity, whereas with computers, even if you're not in them specifically for the gaming, you have other programs to run, videos to watch and so on that could do with a bit of a boost every now and again.
Your logic's broken. Of course "an individual console" is going to be cheaper than, say, a PC that's been upgraded three times; but by the same token, I could say that an 'individual' (un-upgraded) gaming PC is cheaper than buying an Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox 720. You upgrade your PC to advance to an approximate "next generation"; it's exactly the same thing you do with consoles when you buy a PS3 after your PS2, or a 360 after your Xbox. Except that upgrading your PC's gaming components at those intervals (you don't need to replace everything, obviously) can cost you up to a hundred bucks less than a release-time console (over a hundred if we're comparing PC to PS3). That's leaving out the massive technical superiority, which is significant even if you don't care about eyecandy (practically a blank cheque for HD space, 4+ times the memory, massively superior control options, you're an alt-tab away from any PC or web utility you could possibly need, there's the modding scene...) The notion that PC gaming is sooo much more expensive than console gaming for no gain is a myth (bolstered by the ripoff merchants at Dell and similar companies, but PC-shopping is like any shopping -- if you don't inform yourself, you're liable to get bitten). Consoles have their uses (casual social gaming, and... that's about it), but considering it's the very thing they're built for, they're pretty inferior games platforms. They've got the numbers though, so hey, if it brings in more cash for CDPR, then good for them. As for the whole Witcher-Rise thing, yeah, it was a stupid move to aggressively promote a console port on a forum (and sister site) which have naturally evolved to contain people who are (a) PC gamers who (b) already own The Witcher, but come on, I think CDPR have earned a little trust and goodwill beyond that, haven't they? They've made what I'm tempted to call the best game on ANY platform in the past three or four years (it pisses ferociously on overhyped tosh like Mass Effect and Fallout 3), and they then put a lot of manpower into consolidating its place with a hefty giveaway patching that most other studios wouldn't dream of doing. Why should we assume that CDPR have suddenly turned into Ubisoft Shanghai just because they deign to bless the consoles with their awesome work? Are there other indicators that I've just missed? If it's because of the effort they're taking on the console release, then I think that reflects very well on their studio character -- I hate half-arsed console-to-PC ports (ie, every port I've ever played apart from, oh, Splinter Cell 3) and the attitude behind them, so even though I'm not going to play it, I'm glad CDPR don't want to saddle Xbox/PS3 players with a half-arsed PC-to-console port.It's early days for CDPR (release-wise), but they've kicked off with an attitude comparable to Valve in their conscientiousness towards PC gamers; we should save complaints about bad news for when we actually get some bad news, not just... slightly-disappointing-in-its-irrelevance news.

Guest 2084367

MysterD said:
First off, I'm a PC gamer -- and I don't even think that's fair to console gamers -- for the PC version of a game to say have more "planning allowed." Why should console gamers get a "dumbed-down" game?If the GRAW game designers can't seem to develop a logical interface for "planning" around a X360 gamepad for the X360 version of the game, why can't the GRAW X360 version also support a KB/mouse setup?That'd solve that problem in a heartbeat.Of course, I don't know why I'm asking that -- since the GRAW PC versions was released AFTER the console versions.
It doesnt matter is it fair or not... there are two different audiences, and two "different" game styles... console version of GRAW is exactly what console plp like... and PC version is for PC plp (if you don't believe me, check for yourself)... Ofcourse the console developer can build logical interface and so on, however, they don't have to, cause they know the game will sell without itOnce again, it doesnt matter which version is released first... what it matters is, the game is build for two different audiences, each one has its own version...

Ratiasu said:
I think this is awesome. It's like a fresh breath that give me something to wait. Wait to see more and follow the process. I just like it so much even though I do not have XBOX or PS2/PS3 and maybe never will. But I still just love it.
Great :)Thx for warm words!

McAvelin said:
McAvelin said:
Though, why would they NOT bring Witcher 2 to the PC?
They never said they will NEVER bring Witcher 2...
And... the odds are: There will be a TW2 ;) Okay, this is very much speculation and assumption :angel: but... when you finish the Witcher's secrets in the quest finishes with "something ends, something begins" Begins? What begins when the game is finished :whatthe: Maybe this refers to the concluding conversation between Danedelion and Geralt about Geralt's future plans. Though this dialog is not very revealing. Otherwise it can be a hint... the game ends but the story contiunes in particular when we take a look at the final cutscene in king Foltest's castle.Or of course, it also could mean a hint in this pc game for the console version but I think this is unlikely.

Don't you love when they leave you hanging? ;)I have 3 more words regarding the console version: 50 inch TV. Bring it. I'm more than ready. *drools at how great it's going to look*

No, seriously ;D this all made me think about buying a console in future, hey, why not? I never wanted to, thinking like: hmmm, another machine in the house, with a dust on it? Better not. But now?? Reeeeally made me think about it ;D It is not that expensive and if I want to get what console version offers, I will have to buy it ;D Like hey, you will not blame Sony for producing car radios, just because you do not have a car, right? Others do ;D and like some people have PC's and do not console version, others have console and will enjoy console version ;D Didi, hope you will come to my Witcher Cinema, already making a build plan ;D

PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
And... the odds are: There will be a TW2 ;) Okay, this is very much speculation and assumption :angel: but... when you finish the Witcher's secrets in the quest finishes with "something ends, something begins" Begins? What begins when the game is finished :whatthe: Maybe this refers to the concluding conversation between Danedelion and Geralt about Geralt's future plans. Though this dialog is not very revealing. Otherwise it can be a hint... the game ends but the story contiunes in particular when we take a look at the final cutscene in king Foltest's castle.Or of course, it also could mean a hint in this pc game for the console version but I think this is unlikely.
That's from a positive point of view. On the other hand it could be : " Something ends (CDPR adventure in the PC gaming world), Something begins (you get the point) ". :'(Whatever CDPR chooses to do next they gave us a truly great game which would be remembered for a long time. We should thank them more often for that. I just hope we(PC community) are gonna get a pleasant surprise soon too. Oh well, time will tell. :)

McAvelin said:
McAvelin said:
I didn't say they did or will not.Witcher 2 hasn't been mentioned in the cards for anything....not yet, anyways.And why are we quoting my one line without the answer I gave it afterwards?It was a rhetorical question, which I answered right after it in the same post.I don't think they CDPR would want to pull an Epic...

To MysterD: sorry man, i am not a native speaker, so I might not see the connection, I will never do that, I promise :-[

Quote from here:http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/12/03/the-witcher-boss-we-have-two-new-games-in-the-works/
Aren’t owners of the PC version going to feel a little miffed that you’re saying the console SKUs are essentially better than the PC game in both graphics and control?I think that’s probably a bit of a misinterpretation of what we’re doing with Rise of the White Wolf. We simply weren’t able to efficiently move the existing engine to consoles, so we’ve worked with an external studio to make a new engine. We’re taking the same story from the PC game and essentially building everything else from scratch to take advantage of the consoles’ controls and features. The combat is really deep, but it plays more like you’d expect a console game to play. The graphics look great, but of course we have to work within the capabilities of each console. [size=10pt]Basically it’s a console game through and through… any PC gamers who get upset about missing out on the features are hiding a dark secret: they actually prefer console games and controls.[/size]
Are you serious? Haven't you understood a thing in last days? Be careful because PC players, like ME, may consider that as a direct INSULT! I'm angry but I won't insult you back as it was my intention and as I've already seen you, Mr Tom Ohle, been insulted in another forum because of that. I'll pretend I'm more intelligent than you are, You had managed to get the best of us, PC players, and yes, maybe we are elitist PC players and can be blamed because of that, our elitism and our obsession with tech specs, but we were very happy and PROUD to have a good old school game in opposition to all the consoles CRAP that is released nowadays. You are doing it WRONG!

Top Bottom