The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf Announced

+
Agree with didi, it had to come... and there is nothing bad about it, we still have our game, some people here act like CDPR is taking something away from us :-\ but they are not!!! They are just giving all the great stuff to more people...

didi510:I don't think anyone here wants to deny CDPR income from a console version, but many are worried about CDPR becoming another Bioware.I took offense at how the PC version was shoved in the mud (to use someone else's analogy) in order to prop up the console version.Others:Someone else used the analogy of children: I don't think that works in this case. If someone has a second child, I would hope they would not brag on their second kid by talking about how much better kid #2 is than kid #1.Perhaps prop up a sequel that way, but not an adaptation.CDPR:While I was hoping that the announcement was going to be TW2, I'm happy for CDPR. I still think the teaser attempt bombed (primarily because of how the leak was handled), but I can understand their excitement and wanting to share it with the community. After all, there are some gamers who are just not going to play it on the PC. CDPR has announced that they are not abandoning their PC customers (I'm going by the official announcement and their commitment to patching the bugs in TWEE), so I'm not going to lump them in with EA and others until they earn that shame (let's hope not!).I'm not going to keep going on about this, but I really do hope the dev in the video thinks a bit more before he speaks next time. After all he is representing CDPR on a global scale and it just doesn't energize fans by putting down one product to praise another. I mean, I just bought TWEE edition and to hear the dev bad mouth it makes me almost feel like, "Should I have just waited until the best version is released?"But to the point: I am trusting you guys to do the right thing and keep putting out great quality products with committed support (patches, direct dialogue with the community, showing that you listen to suggestions, etc.). I'm behind you, and I think most of the people here are rooting for you.In all of our negative remarks, I think there are things worth taking away and I hope that the result is a stronger community.P.S.Is Geralt walking in this pic? Concept art?

I'd like to say to all console players who are reading the forum, followed by the news - Welcome to the Witcher world! Soon you will find out how different and beautifull it is. Join us, register, ask and discuss :beer:edit: not Fable 2 kind beautifull, but exactly opposite ;), still beautifull

didi510 said:
didi510 said:
Uuuh, we want him to have a hairy chest!Someone should file a complaint ;)
Hah, so it's not just me... where DID the chest hair go? :whatthe: Further mutation? :hmmm: Seriously though, this thread is turning into the reason why I stay away from IGN and Gamespot's forums: flame wars. No one should be offended but glad instead that there are new projects that will make the franchise even more popular. It will only benefit everyone in the end. And really, if anyone looks at the numbers of systems sold, why not make this move? I don't think console gamers get this upset when titles get their respective PC versions. Shadowrun, Halo, Gears, Fallout 3, they've all had PC releases. FFXI was released on consoles after the success of the PC version. It's only logical to cater to the greatest amount of gamers possible, and assuming they like the genre, why not?
I'm so used to flame wars I don't really bat an eyelid at them anymore, yet I don't see this as a flamewar as of now. But then I'm used to the worst flamewars possible, where the PC is often being murdered if the war isn't just among 360 and PS3.Wii is usually torn apart in its own threads, poor little fella since it can't stand up to the bigger guys. :(But really, most here have nothing against a console version. Those who can only see The Witcher on PC usually write a few sentences and leave. The rest are just against how this was handled, and of course worried that CDPR will turn to the dark side.And believe me, I've had to defend the PC with beak and claws more times than I can count. A huge amount of console players can't stand the PC and any PC gamers.So it goes both ways.And your examples weren't really the best. Shadowrun was a miserable failure as a game. Halo didn't excactly shine on the PC. Original Gears I don't know, but Epic is the very definition of a company abandoning PC. Gears of War 2 isn't coming to PC.Fallout 3? That's the third in a series that has only been on PC. It isn't console related at all, and even though Bethesda did an overall good job with the game, they also made Oblivion. And that game is the star example of a consollified game where there was no thought given to the PC version at all.Feel like I need to put in more smileys here (post looks so harsh), but they don't really fit. No ill feelings. :) Lets just continue a civil discussion everyone; so no one will be able to point a finger at the community and say we are all greedy children that only know how to rant and cry. But someone already did say that. Hmm. (Ok, I promise to stop harping on that after this post).

deoren said:
I took offense at how the PC version was shoved in the mud (to use someone else's analogy) in order to prop up the console version.
The PC version has been supported for over a year and still DOES get supported.And everytime you bring a new product on the market, you have to say it is better than the ones before. This is normal marketing.I, too, think that they have overdone it a bit. But watching the video again, I think it is mainly excitement that's speaking.And again, the PC game has been on the market for quite some time now. I own it, too. What should they do? Make it worse on purpose?I just can't understand how people get personally offended by all this...Edit: And I'm not sayiny people here are greedy children, I'm just saying they should try to be happy about sharing a good game with a new audience, besides all their concernes that CDPR won't support the PC anymore and all this (since so far, all of this is just that: concernes, not facts).So, let's see what the future holds and until nothing is proven, worrying and ranting about it is of no use at all.

Consider that us PC Gamers got more and something before the console gamers did and now they get something. We might well be next again. We shouldn't be so selfish and deprive all others of great games :DAnd I do believe I read Eriash saying they wouldn't abandon PC gamers somewhere. You bet the team hopes the same ;)

Shadowrun was only a failure because people were expecting an RPG. As an FPS, I enjoyed it. Halo was a very late move for Bungie, should have been released much sooner, but it made people happy until Halo 3 came out. By Gears I meant the first, and it certainly held its own on the PC. Fallout 3 is still an immersing game, in a very disheartening and depressing manner. Of course, has little to do with the old RPGs, which yes is disappointing, but on its own - and bugs aside - it's great. There are so many little things that make it worthwhile, especially some disturbing little details that make you go wtf. This is probaly why I enjoy certain games more than the next gamer/reviewer, since I prefer to look at them as stand-alones rather than compare them - and yes, people do call me weird and have flamed mefor my impartiality at times. And since I'm now headed in the off-topic direction, I'll stop here.Your post didn't look harsh, just educated :)

deoren said:
I took offense at how the PC version was shoved in the mud (to use someone else's analogy) in order to prop up the console version.
To clarify: I was not speaking of the support that CDPR has provided. It was because of that reason I pre-ordered & purchased TWEE.
deoren said:
The PC version has been supported for over a year and still DOES get supported.
That is correct. There are two patches in the works as they mentioned on another thread.

*forgive a lurker her first post in an established thread*Being that I don't own a PS3 or a 360, and that my PC can barely run Maplestory without begging to be put out of its misery, I feel I have a pretty unique look on things. I've heard so much about the game itself from friends (see Didi510 above), and have read the book (loved it!), and am actually thrilled at the possibility of playing the game on a console, even if I don't currently own either option, as I now have the ability to pay one flat price of a few hundred dollars for a console in order to play the game (and hundreds of other games that have already been released, and WILL be released in the future), instead of having to spend probably thousands of dollars upgrading my box to where it can play the PC version of the game, and then having to update it a few years later (if I get to wait that long) before I can play more games and so on and so forth in an endless cycle sure to make my wallet want to slit its wrists.As for the way some of the PC-only gamers have handled the news (notice I said SOME, not ALL) - it shows a real superiority complex, even when some (again not ALL) have said things about console gamers being the ones to have monomaniacal tendencies. Being an all-around gamer, I seriously don't understand why said PC-only gamers would be so upset at the way the Hunt was handled (as no one forced them to take part in it, or even guaranteed what the content would contain; from what I understand the majority of the hunt was based on rash assumptions), or be so fearful that CDPR is going to turn into another Epic and begin to dull down, simplify or otherwise lessen the quality of products they release on the PC.By expressing these fears, you (a generalized you - not aimed at any one particular person) are giving CDPR every reason to do that exact thing. If they know that the public has no confidence in their efforts, then why not release the simplest product they can in a simple hunt for money? Or, if they learn that console gamers will be more open-minded to their ideas, why NOT produce even more content solely for them, as there is apparently no way to make most PC gamers happy (granted, I'm not saying that CDPR would be so shallow as to work for nothing more than the all-mighty dollar, but I hope you understand my point). In the end, NOT supporting their decision to widen their fan base with a console version of the game is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

you guys really overestimate the costs of playing something on the PCyou can play crysis on high and get 40 FPS for $400witcher is nowhere near as demanding as that game - you could do it for $300 easily. that's the same cost as a 360 and even less than PS3

brandyinindiana said:
Forgive me for snipping as your post was good, but I think my posts are already long enough without adding another long post inside it. ;)Nothing wrong with being a lurker, I'm mostly a lurker myself, just popping in when I feel I can spend some time making long posts that I have to spell-check (and that is probably not written that way).You've certainly got you bases covered. Hehe. No one can attack you for generalizing.I can certainly understand that you look forward to playing the game. It's a great game and it's good to see more people being able to partake in the Witcher experience.You've already read my posts so I'm not going to repeat my opinion on The Hunt and so on.I do want to say that I hope that CDPR won't generalize all PC gamers and stop making PC games because a few people get too angry. We can be pleased. We already were pleased when they released The Witcher and then the EE. I would just hate for them to lose their much earned respect by making wrong PR moves now.I hope they don't think that only console gamers can be satisfied and I do not believe CDPR will "dumb down" the game. After all, that would be generalizing and insulting console gamers, and I think the consoles are ready for a truly mature RPG (Fallout 3 was pretty close, but not quite there).I think the best would be for CDPR to realize that most of their PC fans have supported them this far and won't stop because of a console version. Yet, they were slightly hurt by the approach that was taken and because they love The Witcher, they hope to not be abandoned in the future. We have gotten plenty of confirmation that it won't happen, but PC gamers have been betrayed too often now. It takes more to convince us it won't happen again.---------------------------------------------------------------- Didi510: OT again, but I liked Fallout 3 as well. From the looks of it Bethesda really tried to make up for the faults of Oblivion. They still aren't very good writers, but everything else showed that they were dedicated this time. It still isn't a game that was expected to only come on consoles however. Black Isle/Interplay made Fallout 1 and 2 and Tactics for PC only (the horror of BOS shall not be mentioned here ). Realized you meant the first Gears yes, but I don't know much about it so didn't want to comment. But considering how Epic left the PC platform completely, the example of Gears only shows how suddenly companies can abandon their initial supporters.My post looked educated? ;D Thanks.Though while I've been writing here I was supposed to become more educated by reading up on the different sensory receptors and the like. Oh well, reading for the exam will just have to wait til tomorrow I guess (but then I will have to read for another class, oh well).

TheBiz said:
you guys really overestimate the costs of playing something on the PCyou can play crysis on high and get 40 FPS for $400witcher is nowhere near as demanding as that game - you could do it for $300 easily. that's the same cost as a 360 and even less than PS3
Seeing as how Best Buy's cheapest computer (regardless of brand, just something that has the minimum system requirements to play the original Witcher) is $1200, if you are able to find one for $300, please tell me which store I can buy it in, as I need to find one around here.That being said, even if buying a box for the miraculous price of $300 IS possible, it still wouldn't eliminate the fact that a few years down the line, I would have to shell out just much dough or more to remain up to date, whereas with a PS3, it's one purchase for life (not including extra peripherals and whatnot, but even those are optional)

TheBiz said:
It s true. I have played The Witcher with max details on an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (officialy not supported, way below minimum spec.) and an Nvidia 6800 video card. And that was the first game not the EE.

brandyinindiana said:
brandyinindiana said:
Seeing as how Best Buy's cheapest computer (regardless of brand, just something that has the minimum system requirements to play the original Witcher) is $1200, if you are able to find one for $300, please tell me which store I can buy it in, as I need to find one around here.That being said, even if buying a box for the miraculous price of $300 IS possible, it still wouldn't eliminate the fact that a few years down the line, I would have to shell out just much dough or more to remain up to date, whereas with a PS3, it's one purchase for life (not including extra peripherals and whatnot, but even those are optional)
Never EVER buy pre-made computers as usually the manufacturers chose the most expensive hardware and the most expensive little things even and boom the price by an extreme margin.I would like to correct the other man,by saying that you can pay 600$ for a computer that runs Crysis Warhead @ high 60 FPS,but I bet you can get a cheaper one to play Withcer EE seeing as Withcer EE isn't nearly as demanding as Crysis/Crysis Warhead.Now about those pics from KotakuThose pics look good but I for one don't see much diffrence in those pics.I think I need some higher resolution ones to see stuff better.Otherwise it still looks pretty similar to the PC verson.

brandyinindiana said:
Using Best Buy (oh the irony) as an example is really unfortunate. I just build my friend a PC for 600 bucks, he plays Crysis just fine in 1600*1200 and high details.Building your own computer is a MUST, if you want to save money,

Vardger said:
The whole best version comes from how the console version has been presented as having better graphics (how is that even possible, I love my consoles, but my gaming PC is superior when it comes to hardware)
I think that's just marketing-speak, to be honest. With all due respect intended to the CDPR marketing team, of course, but I think even they would admit that sometimes marketing and PR has a language of its own :DThey're hardly going to be able to pimp the game by calling it average, or by saying, "it's all right... it's quite adequate, really." ;)
Vardger said:
Geralt isn't really naked I guess, but it was so much easier to jump on the naked Geralt bandwagon than to use the term "bare-chested". And it is a cinematic yes, but you didn't expect people to think it won't ever be in a game do you?
Maybe it will be in a future game that spans both platforms? Maybe it's just a promo video? Maybe it will be in the console version (although, given it's going to have the same story, I can't see where a video about Downtime Geralt would fit?)Actually, this might help put out a few fires, if CDPR could clarify whether or not the cinematic showing on the site will be in the console version or not. I don't know whether that can be answered, but it seems it may put quite a few minds at ease, one way or another.
Vardger said:
Vardger said:
BUT this isnt our Geralt, our Geralt has a bit hairy chest, this one doesnt, and his face is uglier ;D So don't worry, "consolers" will have a fake witcher, the only one, the real one is ours ;D
Uuuh, we want him to have a hairy chest!Someone should file a complaint ;)
With the shenanigans he pulls with the fire in the cinematic, perhaps this is how he ends up so smooth-chested :DNot that I was looking at his chest, of course :whistle:

They're hardly going to be able to pimp the game by calling it average, or by saying, "it's all right... it's quite adequate, really."
That's true, but you don't have to make a comparison against a product you already have. "Pimp" it on it's own merits, namely that it is the console version of one of the best RPGs to ever be made. ;)Edit: I've watched the cinematic many times (and likely will several more) and I have to say, "bravo!" to the animators for that nice piece of work. Fantastic job.No words are even needed to describe what Geralt is up to. :)

Guest 2084367

brandyinindiana said:
I now have the ability to pay one flat price of a few hundred dollars for a console in order to play the game (and hundreds of other games that have already been released, and WILL be released in the future), instead of having to spend probably thousands of dollars upgrading my box to where it can play the PC version of the game, and then having to update it a few years later (if I get to wait that long) before I can play more games and so on and so forth in an endless cycle sure to make my wallet want to slit its wrists.
Get your facts straight... prices of PC equipment are not what they have been 3 years ago... time line for upgrading pc is increased... you can build pretty much decent system for ~500 US dollars...
brandyinindiana said:
As for the way some of the PC-only gamers have handled the news (notice I said SOME, not ALL) - it shows a real superiority complex, even when some (again not ALL) have said things about console gamers being the ones to have monomaniacal tendencies. Being an all-around gamer, I seriously don't understand why said PC-only gamers would be so upset at the way the Hunt was handled (as no one forced them to take part in it, or even guaranteed what the content would contain; from what I understand the majority of the hunt was based on rash assumptions), or be so fearful that CDPR is going to turn into another Epic and begin to dull down, simplify or otherwise lessen the quality of products they release on the PC.
Cause the approach was wrong... its like announcing Metal Gear Solid 4 for XBOX360 in PS3 forums and saying XBOX360 will have superior graphics, improved AI etc (its like rubbing an salt on a fresh wound)You are right, nobody forced them to do the hunt... but the one who have, are majority of PC gamersThey have every right to be upset... it was never a problem of announcing console version, nor was for saying console will have this and that (its fine, two different audiences, two different approaches), the big problem was THE FEAR of WHAT WILL BECOME AFTERWARDS... far to many studios have abandoned PC gaming for console gaming.. they didn't said it official, but we c the results... There was an Unreal Tournament once, now there is Gears of War, there was an KOTOR once, now its Mass Effect... not to mention dozens of lousy ports from consoles to PC.. the latest is GTA 4... go check the gTA 4 forums and c the comments... they were all great studios once and they all started on PC... but now, they gained money ...but they lost our (mine aswell) respect... and they don't give a ****** about itPC gamers were here long before CDPR and they all seen it, and plp are afraid that maybe this will be the road that CDPR will take... ofcourse you never gave them any hunch nor reasons youll do exactly that... since you still support PC... but... plp are just afraid... cause you didnt released some crappy RPG... you released The Witcher
brandyinindiana said:
By expressing these fears, you (a generalized you - not aimed at any one particular person) are giving CDPR every reason to do that exact thing. If they know that the public has no confidence in their efforts, then why not release the simplest product they can in a simple hunt for money? Or, if they learn that console gamers will be more open-minded to their ideas, why NOT produce even more content solely for them, as there is apparently no way to make most PC gamers happy (granted, I'm not saying that CDPR would be so shallow as to work for nothing more than the all-mighty dollar, but I hope you understand my point). In the end, NOT supporting their decision to widen their fan base with a console version of the game is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
It is best to express those fears and emotions now, cause later wont make any difference... at all...Time will tell what course will CDPR take... so far, they haven't abandoned us, nor have given any reasons to... i hope this wont change in future

drazac said:
Get your facts straight... prices of PC equipment are not what they have been 3 years ago... time line for upgrading pc is increased... you can build pretty much decent system for ~500 US dollars...
You know what, in this I will actually (kind of) agree with you. I'm sure there are lots of people out there that can go buy a bunch of computer parts and build a box that can handle darn near any game ever created for well under $1000 bucks. But I can also practically guarantee you that there are even more out there that either don't know or care enough about PC construction to be able to do it by themselves, and would then be stuck with (out of either necessity or choice) the versions that big box stores can give them. Either way, no matter which one of us is right or wrong in this, it still doesn't change the fact that you WILL have to eventually upgrade your PC (whether its in a year or ten years makes no nevermind), which is my original point to begin with - an individual console is cheaper in the long run. And even if Sony reaches PS100, buying each console in that line will still be a matter of choice, not necessity, whereas with computers, even if you're not in them specifically for the gaming, you have other programs to run, videos to watch and so on that could do with a bit of a boost every now and again.
drazac said:
The big problem was THE FEAR of WHAT WILL BECOME AFTERWARDS... far to many studios have abandoned PC gaming for console gaming.. they didn't said it official, but we c the results... There was an Unreal Tournament once, now there is Gears of War, there was an KOTOR once, now its Mass Effect... not to mention dozens of lousy ports from consoles to PC.. the latest is GTA 4... go check the gTA 4 forums and c the comments... they were all great studios once and they all started on PC... but now, they gained money ...but they lost our (mine aswell) respect... and they don't give a ****** about it
So, just because other major game companies have abandoned the PC gamer, by your logic, that automatically means that CDPR will too? And if not, if you are just afraid, then isn't it a bit early to get your panties (or boxers, if you prefer) all twisted in knots? They've all but written in stone (that is, if you believe the word of these people that I'm assuming you still do respect) that they are NOT abandoning the PC as a development platform, and they've already apologized for the way the Hunt was handled (Again, by your logic, companies that have abandoned PC gamers did so without giving a crap about fans' opinions, so if CDPR wanted to follow in their footsteps, I doubt apologizing to fans would be their first move), so please explain to me why people are still in a tizzy about this?

Top Bottom