The Witcher Sells a Million

+
The Witcher Sells a Million

Scientists Uncover Irrefutable Evidence that Single-Player PC Gaming is not Dead as CD Projekt RED’s RPG of the Year Breaks Sales MilestoneWarsaw, Poland – October 30 – All the ghouls, vampires and wenches in the world couldn’t stop the white-haired Geralt from conquering the world! CD Projekt RED is proud to announce that The Witcher, the epic RPG that puts players in the morally lenient boots of the aforementioned anti-hero, has sold more than a million copies to real, live people since its release twelve months ago. Scientific research has proven that those sales numbers are quite good for a debut game based on a relatively unfamiliar IP from an unknown studio on a “dead” platform.The news comes just weeks after the release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, which was developed based on fan feedback to further improve the game that was named PC RPG of the Year by IGN, GameSpy, PC Gamer, Play and many more. The studio spent close to a year improving various facets of the game to deliver the ultimate role-playing game, then released the update for free to existing fans and loaded the retail package with extra value to encourage retail sales. As always, it seems that the customer is always right, as the Enhanced Edition is getting higher review scores than the original across the globe.“We created The Witcher with the intent of becoming an acclaimed and successful development studio that always made games for its fans; we spent more than $11 million developing The Witcher and the Enhanced Edition, and it sure is nice to make some of that money back!” said Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt RED. “The success of The Witcher has ensured that we’ll be able to make the games we want – and the games that fans want – for the foreseeable future, and the amazing response we had from the gaming community to the Enhanced Edition really reinforced that we’re on the right track with our development philosophy. We really couldn’t have achieved this sort of success without the support of our amazing fans.”“This is really just the beginning for us,” said Michal Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt, the parent company of CD Projekt RED. “There are a lot more places to explore in the world of The Witcher and there’s obviously a huge audience out there that would still love to see the game on consoles… we’re PC developers first and foremost, but you never know! We’ve already unveiled our DRM-free classic-games distribution site at GOG.com, and we intend to build that site aggressively in the coming months. We’re also rather close to breaking our silence about the multi-platform project underway at Metropolis Software, in which we recently acquired a majority stake. Needless to say, we’re very excited about the future and we think gamers will be, too!”A video celebrating The Witcher’s anniversary, featuring footage of unannounced upcoming titles has been released today at GameTrailers. For more information about The Witcher visit http://www.thewitcher.com.About CD ProjektFounded in 1994, CD Projekt is one of Eastern and Central Europe's largest game distributors, with offices in Warsaw, Prague and Budapest, and employs more than 250 people across its diverse businesses. The company has used innovative marketing and distribution practices to invigorate the Polish games market and to position itself as a leader in the localisation and publishing of world-class games, having brought such hits as the Neverwinter Nights, Diablo and Warcraft series to the region with great success. CD Projekt Group includes the publishing and distribution companies in Poland, Czech, Slovakia and Hungary; the dedicated Localisation Centre, which is the leading provider of cross-platform porting, quality assurance and localisation services in the region; CD Projekt RED, the development branch responsible for the hit role-playing franchise, The Witcher; Metropolis Software, currently developing the anticipated multiplatform sci-fi shooter, THEY; and GOG.com, the ultimate online destination for DRM-free classic PC games. More information about CD Projekt can be found online at www.cdprojekt.com.About CD Projekt REDCD Projekt RED is the development branch of CD Projekt, headquartered in Warsaw, Poland. The studio’s first release, the PC-exclusive role-playing game, The Witcher®, has won over critics and gamers with its refreshing blend of engrossing story and action-based combat. The game has sold more than one million copies worldwide and has garnered more than 100 awards since its release in October 2007, including PC RPG of the Year from such respected outlets as PC Gamer, GameSpy, IGN and GameStar. CD Projekt RED’s 80+ employees recently completed The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and have begun work on the company’s three unannounced projects. For more information about CD Projekt RED, visit http://www.thewitcher.com.

You guys have put yourselves on the map in a big way, and nobody deserves it more. Congratulations once again!

Congratulations guys :beer: Future sounds pretty exciting
btwI made investigations through Codringer & Fenn and I'm told you work on 4 big projects? :whistle:

Congratulations guys!!!!You deserve the recognition and i hope for another million copies sold :pAnd congratulation to The witcher and ato all of you who bought the game!The video was kickass!!!! Witcher 2 in the works?And a fps by you? I'm in!

Woooaaa, I just can t stop watching the video over and over again! Very exciting!The title of the fps is THEY and is developed by Metropolis, as far as I know...Thank you, CDP RED for this exceptional game! All the best wishes for you and I hope you will not stop here and you will not forget about the "dead" platform, the PC!

Congrats guys ;DNow I have to go and watch that video again.... and again.... there was a half naked Geralt in.... so I have to make sure (again and again) that I'm not dreaming....see you later.... :whistle:I hope you guys plan to make a completely naked Geralt in The Witcher 2..... :p

Only a million? That muszt be more, so spread out the word of the witcher further on :peace:

the video is outstanding http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42116.html?type=You've made my day Red, thank you. And we have our Witcher 2 preview :)

TomOhle said:
TomOhle said:
You've made my day Red, thank you. And we have our Witcher 2 preview :)
But... do you?
Whether it's an expansion pack or The Witcher 2 doesn't matter that much -- the fans want more Geralt; we don't care what you call it. :)It looks as if we'll be getting a little extra eye candy in this one, too. :) And somebody gets throwing knives, though I don't know if it's Big G or his enemies (or both).The trailer makes it look as if The Witcher is nonstop action, which it isn't, and which I think is one of the strengths of the game. I guess it's hard to make an interesting trailer of a player pondering moral decisions, though; action has better visuals. :D

Whether it's an expansion pack or The Witcher 2 doesn't matter that much -- the fans want more Geralt; we don't care what you call it. :)
That's right, and we want him naked.... :evil:

Congratulations, well deserved! :beer: Let's drink to it! ... (I'm sure you're way ahead of me...)

Corylea, a few seconds ago I have posted this in the german tavern for all the girls there... ;DDamned, is this a nice guy... :whistle:Edit: This will be a sleepless night tonight... :p

HexenmeisterRaven said:
Corylea, a few seconds ago I have posted this in the german tavern for all the girls there... ;D
*laugh* That's funny! There's an expression in English: "Great minds think alike" -- do you say something like that in German, too?
Damned, is this a nice guy... :whistle:
Considering his upbringing and profession, he's a very nice guy. Or were you talking about something besides his personality and character? :)
Edit: This will be a sleepless night tonight... :p
Ah, but in a good cause! *grin* *tease*

Over here in Germany we would say: "Zwei Dumme, ein Gedanke" that would mean something like "Two stupid persons, but one thought"
Considering his upbringing and profession, he's a very nice guy. Or were you talking about something besides his personality and character? :)
Hehe... I'm sure, you know exactly what I meant.... :angel:

Top Bottom