The Witcher that could have been

+
The Witcher that could have been

Adrian Chmielarz - the guy behind Painkiller and People Can Fly shared this little gem on his twitter.

Back then he was part of the studio called Metropolis [unrelated to CDProjekt] that was developing a game based on the Witcher for PC. It was cancelled in 1997.

Last edited:
Nice find, I had never heard of that before.

As cool as it could have been to have had more The Witcher games, I'm glad we got the games we got. No one gets to be confused by having to retcon a Witcher game, so far they're all connected and are all fantastic :D

Alternate universe where Geralt is the Boss of the Saints created.

I really like those old screenshots, they are so silly, but I wonder what the actual gameplay felt like. It might've been fun. And CDPR should include a nod to the purple pyjamas in TW3. :p

Interesting how his face is actually similar to what we have now, though.

Oh man that looks like a really poorly done half life 1 mod...that in 1997 I would probably have played the ever living shit out of.

I was already an avid gamer back in 1997, and I'd definitely play this game. Graphics and nostalgia brings tears to my eyes. It reminds me of Gothic actually.

As it turns out, CDs actually don't hold all your data for 100 years!

A good point. Backing data up on optical disks is not a good idea for long term backup. A pity they lost all their work like that.

@sidspyker: That's the first time I hear about this unreleased Witcher game. I wouldn't assume it's existence is a common knowledge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom