The Witcher vs Mass Effect: Geralt slashes Shepard!!!

+
The Witcher vs Mass Effect: Geralt slashes Shepard!!!

Well i just finished Mass Effect. Phew! What a roller coaster ride it was! What a fabulous cinematic action packed ending! What graphical feast of a game it was! What game play AND YET...And yet to my astonishment after finishing ME i found out that The Witcher is in fact even better than ME!!! What a surprise!!! Yes. (in my point of subjective view at least) David has beaten Goliath (i mean a company with huge budget and years and years of experience in RPG games)! I always had been loyal and avid fan of Bioware, but at the end of the day Geralt beats Shepard. Not easily mind you... Gerald leaves the battle field badly hurt... But it is a victory. And it is an astonishing victory!Let's see ME's advantages: better graphics engine. PERHAPS companions that follow you (i say perhaps because in ME they follow you ALL the time and it gets a bit tiresome after a while). Even better ending (i mean the Witcher's ending was spectacular but left many questions unanswered Bioware never leaves loose ends even if they plan sequels like in ME!), clearly bigger variety in gear u can buy/find (weapons, armor etc) and better difficulty curve (i mean, come on, at the beginning of the game the beast was incredibly difficult!), faster loading times probably due to smarter level design or more efficient graphics engine (even after TW's 1.3 patch).Let's see TW advantages: Longer but not boring game ( i finished ME in about 47 hours i finished TW in 77 with all side quests finished), EVEN more complex characters (some of your friends and acquaintances are not what they seem to be, they have their own agendas or they keep secrets), not one silly subgame (personally i hate froggy style subgames and final countdowns), unlike ME the characters seem to have some work to do and they are not glued to their positions from the beginning to the end of the game (although some people in fact like that), even better scenario with more twists and turns (although the end of ME really shows Bioware's craftsmanship and experience and really is better than TW's). Also Geralt is politically incorrect and some times flawed (womanizer, gambler gets drunk etc) and that makes him a guy to identify with, a guy to want to hang out with and drink some pints of ale (not with your missus though!). Also the level cap in TW is higher.So that was my subjective (and i hope not subvertive!) opinion. Quite probably there are one or two more points in favor or against each game but all the above pretty much sums everything up. I bet many will disagree with my opinion/review. Believe me it was a close call for the crown of the best game, and many people will be having valid counterarguments... Any way bye!!!

I would have to agree with you, the witcher is one of the most rich and masterfully made games i have ever played and I have played every rpg worth playing, mass effect is a great game but the witcher is a rich world that actually lives, the characters have lives of their own, the story is long and involved with many differen choices to make, i hate short games, just when your starting to get into it, it ends! Im only about half way through the witcher and I have been at it for a fair ammout of time.Many great games come and go but in my books The witcher is a legend.

After your blurb about ME I had to borrow my mates copy and have a look...Yup the gfx were impressive, dunno abou a better enigine (or use there of) TW engine had far more detail, but ME uses it's engine to give you a sense of the immense...What I didn't like was sure, you have far more equipment to find and use, but it's all represented by crates, bland and confusing...As for the story, with TW dialog choices are not always clearcut, with ME top of the dialog tree are good, bottom are evil... It's not so much a personal moral choice, as a choise of 'do i want to be good or evil'...But as for party members following you round, you do know you can just not select any in the party screens... :)

well im still playing TW, im a slowpoke when it comes to games like these. a game heavy on the "role" and light on the "playing". (translation- im a dipshit that gets lost too much cause i take long breaks from the game then come back forgetting what i ws doing last).im a fan of gear, im sorry i just love finding a shitload of crazy space armor and equipping it. i was quite underwhelmed by TW's loot setup. same armor basically most of the time. your main weapons are always gonna be the same. but upgrading them is cool and its not easy so when you finally do its quite rewarding. im disappointed in TW's inventory system and i cant wait for the new patch i hear will fix it.now dont get me wrong i just happen to love ME cause it does exactly what i wanted an RPG to do for me. i think TW is as good and theyre the only 2 RPGs im playing right now, minus the usual MMOs im awlays rollin through.

I'm a big fan myself of finding and using mass loot... But when you think about all the fantasy books you've read and all the movies you've seen, how often does the main character change their equipment.. :) (bring on Diablo 3)Like to me it takes ages to break in a new Tshirt to comfy level, imagine this with bulky armour... :) It would chafe and rub for weeks...

thanks for pointing out the strength of each RPG...i'm going to get ME now... ;Di'm enjoying TW now, every minute of it... :D

Slyloki said:
I'm a big fan myself of finding and using mass loot... But when you think about all the fantasy books you've read and all the movies you've seen, how often does the main character change their equipment.. :) (bring on Diablo 3)Like to me it takes ages to break in a new Tshirt to comfy level, imagine this with bulky armour... :) It would chafe and rub for weeks...
Well my first and still one I would watch if it was on TV great adventure/fantasy movie I saw was Conan the Barbarian and he changed his armour and weapons quite a bit.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30tyaXv6EI For all the lovers.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1XmZ9_ckdw

Haha, I own a copy... it's great, but I think my argument still stands, the few scraps of shammy leather can't be considered armour, I say he replaced it so often coz it kept falling apart.. :)

I played Mass Effect and clocked it very quickly. It was awesome but in many ways it was worse than The Witcher because it wasn't deep enough. It really suffered from being a console RPG first. It was way too short. Still loved the main story and the cinematicness of that game is unmatched. I haven't clocked the Witcher yet but I feel that my choices give the game some sort of direction here while in mass Effect there are hardly any real consequences.I told my friend the other day: The Witcher is the Mass Effect of fantasy games and more...I am only what 5 hours into the Witcher? It can only get betetr. And I think the Witcher's art direction surpasses most of the games and mass Effect. My jaw dropped so many times with awe in the Witcher. One of the aspects that makes me want to play it forever :)

I've played both multiple times through, and I would say it is tie as far as quality now. But the enhanced edition of the witcher will put it over the top.Between both of these games it has been a great year for PC RPGs. ME was a refreshing change from the fantasy setting, I recommend it to everyone.

hEY, GUYS, HELP ME PLEASE, i CANNOT KILL THE QUEEN OF KIKIMORS. WHAT TO DO. IF SOMEBODY HERE ANSWER PLEASE....

I like both. Couldn't decide which one is better just from the game. Probably TW, but I wouldn't know why.Though there is one factor that makes TW complete winner at the end of the day. That's Djinni. The fact that the game won't die after you finish it is always a great thing in long term. See how NWN lives today. I hope that in months/years there will still be plenty of adventures to be played for TW. I doubt we'll see that for ME. Same for KOTOR. Great game, no editor.

ME was great, but the thing that I miss from it is the consequences that the decisions hold. in TW, you can not know what will you decision, for example, in Act1 (on the shores, with the packages) will cause later. I was like 'what the hell?' when i realized what i did.and the other thing: in ME there is a good side, and a bad side again. two separated sides, that makes ppl will go for a good or a bad point in most cases. i like that in witcher, there are no good and bad decisions, just decisions and consequences. so i aggree, TW is a better RPG than ME. (though i love ME and it's universe)

I find them both to be equally good, albeit in different ways. ME and TW are pretty much tied as far as the scope and depth of the story, although TW does edge ahead slightly due to the sense of decisions actually having an impact on the game world as a whole. Combat in ME is clearly superior in my eyes, it feels much more visceral. Graphics and sound are dead even to me. Although it's really, really hard to top Sovereign as a villain.
Jacques De Aldersberg just can't compare to a giant, sentient machine with enough firepower to level half the CDF on its own... and its dialogue is just top notch (gave me chills).

I found the witcher to be better mainly because of the darker setting and choices also mass effect had a lot of quests that came very close to grinding (resources I look at you)

I am currently playing both games, and see no reason to compare the two. The only thing they have in common is being RPGs. One is based in a past make-believe world, while the other is based in a future fantasy world. The enemies are different, the locations are different, and the science involved in both are completely different. Bottom line is that it's like comparing apples to oranges; they make both be fruit, but it ends there.
~ Roxy

RogueRoxy said:
I am currently playing both games, and see no reason to compare the two. The only thing they have in common is being RPGs. One is based in a past make-believe world, while the other is based in a future fantasy world. The enemies are different, the locations are different, and the science involved in both are completely different. Bottom line is that it's like comparing apples to oranges; they make both be fruit, but it ends there.
~ Roxy
Very true. They are both very good, but you cant compare them together. You might be able to compare Mass Effect with Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic, but not with The Witcher.

In Knights of the Old Republic also the enemies are different and the locations are different compared to Mass Effect! IN FACT every single game on the planet has different enemies and locations, even sequels of the same game if i am not mistaken! When stripped to the bones both games have similar RPG mechanics, both games have similar quest and quest solving logic, both games have great characters to interact with, and in both games the development of the story is really choice driven. The scenery is certainly different (Wither's world being a medieval fantasy world) but keep in mind that the upcoming Dragon Age Origins is a medieval fantasy RPG but with quite a different medieval fantasy world. Are we not allowed to compare TW and DAO as well? It is the CORE -both RPG's game play- that we compare- not the garnishing. In fact we compare two games of the same genre with the same style of game play. Comparing apples to oranges to my book means comparing The Witcher (RPG) to Quake 4 (1st person shoot em up) or comparing Quake 4 (1st person shoot em up) to Need for Speed (a racing game)... :wave:

I agree... I compare the 2 because both are rpg's as well as both having moral paths to tread...Witcher does the moral path better...ME delves a bit deeper into relationships with party members, but i think because of this and the switching in and out of members, TW is a stronger RPG... The switching turns your friends into tools rather than people... I love party RPG's but sometimes less is more... Baldurs gate for instance, I became loyal to my party members and wouldn't switch them out for all the gold in the world.. In ME, I couldn't care..I also compare them as in how each performs in (based on my preferences) their own genre...TW, fits my fantasy expectations very well, even exceeding it at times... ME fits my Sci Fi expectations equally well..TW's inventory system is painful at times, as is ME's with it's generic crate pictures and a naming system that isn't intuitive...So yes they can be compared, it's not about the setting, but how each company writes their 'story' in that setting, as well as technical (interface etc) execution of immersing the player...

As always u are spot on in your views Slyloki. And it seems Bioware although a superb company, does not learn from its mistakes, and most importantly, does not check out the competition (ALWAYS check out your competition whether u are shoe maker, car maker, chocolate maker or games programmer!). Dragon Age Origins seems to be not that much different than Bioware's previous games. In fact the noticeable difference is that now you have under your control 3 or 4 characters at the same time (i am not sure right now), which might be good news OR it might be really bad news...

Top Bottom