The Witcher vs Mass Effect: Geralt slashes Shepard!!!

+
I like both games to be honest but if it was a fight between sheperd and geralt and think sheperd would win...it would end like BOOM HEADSHOT!

Haven't finished Mass Effect jet but Witcher seems much better, the main char' is really awesome compared with anything you may created in mass effect, story is better and also most of graphics . Also choises made in withcher are less black and white unlike in ME where player have those blue and red points polite/renegate and generally knows how will some choise change the story. Also sex in Witcher is ten times better :D. So my choise is witcher but ME is quite good game too.

So I bought the Witcher EE soon as it was released and i say its one of my faborite rpgs I have played. The only rpg that I spent about the same amount of time on is Mass Effect. To me both are great game with great graphics and great story. Both game have its share of problem and I dont feel like having some people start trashing because they are close minded but of the two games what did you like most from each? assuming you played both for PC

Now this is cool...I am still playing the Witcher and as for the Mass Effect,well i can only say that the story got me drunk,especially at the end...The end was so great(i was really disappointed by Saren and how easily i ass kicked him,i mean if you played KOTOR,Malak was a crazy bastard).You know the ending was so great,the game ends,there's the ending credits and the music is so cool that shivers are running all over your body...Priceless...+ i love futuristic RPG's more then anything...That was an amazing experience...People who bash Mass Effect are even ok,that just makes you feel even better,because you have really mastered a really complicated game and they didn't.It wasn't astrophysics,but it had a lot of stuff to consider and experiment with...For those who were great at it and still hate it,i really find that as a paradox.It wasn't a perfect game,but it was certainly an incredible experience.I know i will love the Witcher after i end the game,but Mass Effect is just better...If it didn't had so many characters fighting by your side all the time,then perhaps,but when you'll consider how deep these characters were...Bioware are insane man...

Yes. Bioware is the dominant rpg producer and rightfully so. Their rpgs are always high quality.So i can't wait to get my hands on their upcoming games. Kotor Online and Dragon Age.

I've been playing both of them and is quite impossible to say which is better.Are two different style of RPG game but both are not far from the excellence.Anyway the EE pack is overwhelming. ;)

i finished both games 3 times and when you already know the story, on later playthroughs battles are more important. its about battles to entertain enough to keep people playing the game again and again. both games are great if not the best in their kind. one is sci-fi, other is medieval fantasy so they cant compete in terms of plot for me but they can in terms of fights.both games have a huge flaw: they are too easy on highest difficulty. the difference between mass effect and the witcher is that you can mod TWEE but you cant ME.when i finish the game, next time i want a real challange. there's nothing fun in slaughtering masses of enemies with ease. thats why TWEE wins for me, one mod can change the game.

Heard mass effect is a great game, but I haven't played it yet.I'll play mass effect when I can borrow a console.I have stuff installed on my gaming PC that will be disabled by their DRM.

flash_in_the_flesh i totally agree with you. i do wish they Mass Effect alot harder in difficulty. But the game has a great story the characters were very deep especially AShley. One thing I admit i do like is that in Mass Effect the sex at the end happens basically only if you were nice with the person (Ashley, Liara & kaiden) unlike in the witcher (i still dont mind it ofcourse). But unlike CD Projekt Bioware hasnt fixed alot of the bugs in Mass Effect in their patch, infact they have had even more i think. CD Projekt does seem to listen to their feedback wish Bioware would listen more

I actually havn't finished The Witcher yet so I can't give a conclusive opinion.But it does seem like Mass Effect has the lead. I just really like Bioware style with RPG's. I like futuristic settings more then fantasy ones and Mass Effect is all sci-fi. It's also a lot more cinematic then the Witcher. Some people don't care for a cinematic gameplay but I do, I think it creates a much more exciting experience. Also, one thing that I think Mass Effect did really well was the dialog system. This system is actually a lot better then any RPG I played, not just the Witcher.So the Witcher is a very good RPG in my opinion, but I still don't think it'll score higher then Mass Effect in my ladder.

cinematics are nice on the first playthrough but how many times one can watch the same movie.i think that we shouldnt compare these games story-wise. this is completely subjective preference of sci-fi over fantasy or the other way around.about dialogue system, i dont see anything inventive about it. normal dialogue options placed on radial menu instead on the list. if you mean paragon/renegade answers thats other thing because you should compare it to moral choices not dialogue system alone. witcher place really complicated moral choices before player and these choices actually affects the game. in mass effect you can choose nice answer but it doesnt change anything in the long run. you can finish the game without paragon/renegade answers, you can save/kill most npc's in quests without charm/intimidate.

No, when I said cinematic I meant that the game had a very cinematic feel. Movie like. I didn't mean the cut-scenes. The dialogue system in ME is more organized and I thought that giving you the ability to choose the next dialogue option before the characters are finished talking was really cool. It created a much more flowing and natural conversation. I also liked the idea of giving the user simplified written dialogue choices that when selected, the character acts your topic of choice with more length. This can give the user character much richer texts rather then one liner questions. So it's really not just the radial menu.Regarding moral choices. Well, I beat Mass Effect only once and I was a complete paragon. So I don't know if being more evil effects the game too much. But it does seem like it effects dialogue options a lot. Of course you can finish the game by staying neutral or going either way, it's the way you interact with the other NPC's that change.

I would say 50/50.Mass Effect was/is the first RPG I ever played. And after 2 play throughs I am still not giving up on it. I have to say though that the Witcher is more realistic in terms of decisions/consequences, where as in Mass Effect I like the combat part more.Actually, I am not sure if one can really compare those two games, since the Witcher speaks more to the fantasy crowd and Mass Effect to the people with shooter background.

SaSeba said:
Actually, I am not sure if one can really compare those two games, since the Witcher speaks more to the fantasy crowd and Mass Effect to the people with shooter background.
Quoted for truthMass Effect was okay until i landed , i so much hate shooters

The Witcher is a clear winner, much more rpg, much more depth, better balance, ME uses the stupid leveling system meaning enemies level up with you just like in Oblivion, sorry but that's not real rpg, enemies should have fixed stats, you have problems with weaker enemies at the beginning, at later levels you kick their ass NOT at later levels you have problems with weak enemies because they leveled up with you and are stronger.Probably the biggest plus is The Witcher is pc only, consoles tend to simplify games and ruin the inventory, not to mention the graphics of TW it just blows you away, artistically and technically I would put it at the top, above Crysis which feels bleak to me, clearly lacking the artisticall approach but the technical side is very good as you may know. Being a console game ME is lacking in details and sometimes better textures, lack of ram is the cause of many of the same objects repeating themselves as they only have 512 mb. So if there ever is a Witcher 2 I hope it will be pc only.

Rednecksith said:
I find them both to be equally good, albeit in different ways. ME and TW are pretty much tied as far as the scope and depth of the story, although TW does edge ahead slightly due to the sense of decisions actually having an impact on the game world as a whole. Combat in ME is clearly superior in my eyes, it feels much more visceral. Graphics and sound are dead even to me. Although it's really, really hard to top Sovereign as a villain.
I'd totally agree. I had a fantastic time with both games. Played ME through twice, and will probably will go though TW once more as well.Both are fantastic, story-driven experiences, as Oblivion and Morrowind were fantastic open world experiences. Preferring any one doesn't necessitate diminishing any of the others. All have sucked up embarrassing amounts of my time. :DIMHO, you can't go really wrong with any of them. I certainly would be first in line for either TW or ME 2. (As well as ES 5). :)

flashintheflesh said:
i finished both games 3 times and when you already know the story, on later playthroughs battles are more important. its about battles to entertain enough to keep people playing the game again and again. both games are great if not the best in their kind. one is sci-fi, other is medieval fantasy so they cant compete in terms of plot for me but they can in terms of fights.both games have a huge flaw: they are too easy on highest difficulty. the difference between mass effect and the witcher is that you can mod TWEE but you cant ME.when i finish the game, next time i want a real challange. there's nothing fun in slaughtering masses of enemies with ease. thats why TWEE wins for me, one mod can change the game.
Thanks FlashInTheFlesh – we are working hard on Witcher world and I think that even after release of the game The WItcher universe is still flourishing.I think that you should definitely check out one of The Community adventures – lots of stuff is happening there! And of course more is to come … Much more

Just finished Mass Effect too and though I loved it, there were quite a few things that irked me and made me wonder what the hell Bioware was thinking.First of all: SecuRom. The game refused to aknowledge that I was the adminsitrator on my machine and when I finally made it past that hurdle the game still took ages to load up because it had to check if I owned a legal copy. And for those who say it was a good thing to be able to choose answers early: Well, the game crashed for a lot of people when they did that.And then you also had those nice little crashes to the desktop at random intervals. If I waited until the person finished talking there were no crashes, but that also means the advantage of choosing an answer early is moot.I personally had no problems with the Witcher copy protection, though I know others weren't so lucky.2: The dialogue system is detrimental to an RPG I think since it is difficult to roleplay when you don't know what the heck you're saying. Of course they put "good" answers on top, but when I press the choice that says "apple" and my character starts talking about genocide, I get slightly frustrated.I'd much rather they let us decide for ourselves what is good or bad and give us the whole sentence so we know what the heck we're saying.And then you had the options that were excatly the same, just so it would seem we had more options.3. ME had the most repetetive gameplay I have ever seen since Spore (a mark of EA games I guess). Apart from the main quest the whole game consisted of cllicking on planets until you found the right one and then find one anomaly, one debris and a damn bunker where you killed everything.That was it. And it disappointed me since the Citadel part was so great. I loved walking around and talking to people and though it would be like this later in the game as well. Instead I got a massive shootfest where I hid behind boxes and shot at everything that moved while my companions died.The development was alright with many interesting choices, but the enemies were all the same. The husks and creepers were actually the most difficult since they just charged. The others hid behind crates until you shot their foot to death.4. Repetetive and bland graphics. Animations and NPCs were great and more detailed than in TW. Still everything else looked the same.Nothing was alive. Every single planet in the universe seems to consist of stupid rocks and bunkers with a Salarian corpse or a ancient relic here and there. Every now and then the color was changed to red or brown or green, but that was it. Every ship looked the same, every hallway looked the same, no matter what species resided in a place the all bought doors from the same manufacturer.This is the point where TW comes in with its copy paste NPCs, yet I just wanted to point out that ME graphics aren't as great as some say, and they certainly don't beat TWs overall.I think I will stop there. I just listed the negative points of ME to show why I think TW is better, though TW also have many faults even in the EE.I did have a lot of fun in ME. I loved the story, the dialogues in general, the party members and I don't know how many hours I spent reading the codex.But when ME made me apprehend the next time I had to land on another one of those generic planets to bounce my way to another generic bunker I realized that there was something wrong. And I would have thought that the testers on Bioware realized that as well, but so much for that.And I could list up a page of the faults of the Witcher, but this thread is about why you like one game better than the other and I like TW better because it makes me want to do everything while the repetetivness of ME made me do quests just to get that extra XP and loot so I could go on with the Main quest.Now, not all repetetive games are bad. I just started playing Sacred 2 and I love it (it has me addicted) and it has almost only simple fetch and kill quests. It's the classes, abilities, loot and the detailed huge world that makes people continue playing. But put beside a true C&C RPG a hack n slash will always lose for me. But a hack n slash killfest never pretends to be something else. ME pretended to be alot and though It suceeded in many things (like the MQ) it didn't give all that many expect from a good RPG.So that's part of my long and tiresome reasoning for why TW beats ME for me. But for some it's different of course and they are both wonderful games that all RPG fans should have. ;)

vanworden said:
Thanks FlashInTheFlesh – we are working hard on Witcher world and I think that even after release of the game The WItcher universe is still flourishing.I think that you should definitely check out one of The Community adventures – lots of stuff is happening there! And of course more is to come … Much more
I think witcher is just beggining to flourish since the release of djinni. witcher is following the same path as neverwinter nights- endless possibilities and community support. this is the most important reason of neverwinter success. this game would be another "play and forget" (maybe play twice) without new haks and mods, and multiplayer of course (but im not rpg multiplayer kind of guy).im a type of player which repeats same games few times until their fun factor drops to zero.each mod and adventure increase the fun by some degree -> existing mods and satisfied players opinions gives ideas and motivation for new mods -> new mod equals to more funwith active and creative community the game can become perpetum mobile. but to help this scenario, its important to make modding easier. now, large percent of luc files cannot be converted to lua without errors. nss files are completely unavailable unless each modder asks you- developers for specific files. its crippling policy, modding is still limited due to limited access to files.maybe its not the best place to ask but since i already started, ill finish with little request:bioware released all files needed to mod the game (lua, nss). can you, CDPR do the same? it would greatly help modders to continue their work and make the witcher even more attractive.but enough of my reflections.im just another polish witcher fan, both of the game and books.
vanworden said:
3. ME had the most repetetive gameplay I have ever seen since Spore (a mark of EA games I guess). Apart from the main quest the whole game consisted of cllicking on planets until you found the right one and then find one anomaly, one debris and a damn bunker where you killed everything.That was it. And it disappointed me since the Citadel part was so great. I loved walking around and talking to people and though it would be like this later in the game as well. Instead I got a massive shootfest where I hid behind boxes and shot at everything that moved while my companions died.The development was alright with many interesting choices, but the enemies were all the same. The husks and creepers were actually the most difficult since they just charged. The others hid behind crates until you shot their foot to death.4. Repetetive and bland graphics. Animations and NPCs were great and more detailed than in TW. Still everything else looked the same.Nothing was alive. Every single planet in the universe seems to consist of stupid rocks and bunkers with a Salarian corpse or a ancient relic here and there. Every now and then the color was changed to red or brown or green, but that was it. Every ship looked the same, every hallway looked the same, no matter what species resided in a place the all bought doors from the same manufacturer.This is the point where TW comes in with its copy paste NPCs, yet I just wanted to point out that ME graphics aren't as great as some say, and they certainly don't beat TWs overall.
uhmm :hmmm:, thats so true. nothing more to add. still ME is best sci-fi RPG i know.

Top Bottom