The Witcher vs Mass Effect: Geralt slashes Shepard!!!

+
flashintheflesh said:
nothing more to add. still ME is best sci-fi RPG i know.
Given that there're few sci-fi RPGs compared to fantasy-based RPGs, that's not saying much.Also, sounds like you're not familiar with Fallout. The first two, not Bethesda's mutilation. As for Mass Effect--it's all surface: bells and whistles, budget-dumping onto graphics. But do you notice how, most of the time, there's no real difference in conversations no matter what you choose? How the "morality" of the dialogue options are painfully obvious, black-and-white? They're even color-coded as if Bioware thinks you, the player, is a complete and utter retard who needs to be hand-held through simple tasks. Despite superior tech used for graphics, most of ME looks dull, sterile, and absolutely repetitive. Despite being touted for its story and characters, the writing in ME is utterly shallow, full of cliches ripped off from much, much better sci-fi--and then there's all the recycling from previous Bioware games. Can you tell Carth and Kaidan apart? Really? The optimization of UT3 engine is bloody goddamn terrible. One of the most inept I've ever seen. ME is a mediocre overhyped piece of rubbish.

I must say that i really enjoyed playing ME, since The Witcher had so many bugs, before the patches came out. Its true that the optimalization of the UT3 engine isnt' perfect, with the engine loading while already playing, which looks very ugly. But once 'the engine is loaded, Me looks unreal ;), that beautiful ;D. And with the optimalization of the core game aspects in the pc version, its really become a good game. But, i think it all depends on taste, since Me is more of a shooter with rpg elements, the witcher is more of a rpg with ehh.... non shooter elements :D. And i haven't found a single bug yet in ME, while the witcher is full of them, even with the new patches. Although the side quests of the witcher are much better, since ME was criticised because of its lack in original side quests.So, Me is a great sci-fi shooter/rpg, and the Witcher is a great rpg....(lol does this post even adds something relevant to the subject? :hmmm:

Tlazolteotl said:
o_O ... you created an account to say that?
No, notice my "date registered." You know how September comes before October?
Tlazolteotl said:
And i haven't found a single bug yet in ME, while the witcher is full of them, even with the new patches.
Really? Go look at the ME technical forums. At release, there were people who bought the game legally and couldn't install it due to SecuRom. There were people who couldn't access the galaxy map. There were people stuck permanently at the "decontamination process." The game glitches when you're in elevators on a semi-regular basis. Just because you haven't found bugs doesn't mean there are none. "Anecdote" and "data" are two different things, you understand.Bioshock, among others, optimizes the UT3 engine much better. Superior graphics, too; the humans in ME tend to look bizarrely plastic, especially women, because Bioware seems to think that women cannot possibly have any blemishes or scars (barring those you add yourself while customizing Shepard), so they all look like barbies. Part of ME's problem is that it takes itself seriously. It would have been bearable if the game had been a tongue-in-cheek B-movie sci-fi romp, but as it is, the thing actually tries to tackle issues like racial bigotry and abortion (in terribly shallow manners, I might add) and expects easily impressed next-gen gamers to mistake it for depth. Which, it appears, they've succeeded. Incidentally, they ripped the Asari from Farscape and gigantic loads of things from Firefly.

lol i wrote a really long piece of text of arguments about ME and The Witcher, but unfortunaly i had trouble with my internet conncetion while positng :wall:.But here the conclusion, ME is great with minor flaw's for the ones with good computers and the right sytem, and The Witcher is also great for its detailed story and it's view on the fantasy world.So, i believe it's a draw for me! ;)

Vardger said:
3. ME had the most repetetive gameplay I have ever seen since Spore (a mark of EA games I guess).
Oh. Forgot one game that has a more repetetive gameplay than either of the two. Assassins creed. Now that is the most repetetive game I have ever seen in my life.Just felt I needed to lighten up my assesment of ME a bit. It isn't as repetetive as AC and the main quest is decent. :)And Autumnsnake: Fallout and Wasteland is usually called post-apocalyptic isn't it? Cause if Fallout isn't Sci-fi then we indeed don't have that much to choose from besides ME.

Lol don't start about Spore, biggest failure in EA's history (take the liberty to correct me in this matter ;)), since its copy protection is, just as with ME, just WRONG! The developers must have been under the influence of the :evil: when they thought of that. Ahum... errr.... oh yes, i must agree on the fact that ME is repetitive, but it's just something you got to be in the mood for i guess, since load's of people really liked assasin's creed.

For the last four or five years the only two games i really enjoy are ME & Witcher :angel: i dont think two games shoud be compare one is sci-fi other is fantasy two completely different universes i enjoy them soon i finished the ME and i still playing Witcher ( sorry that is blasphemy :mad: :angel: :whistle: but i have other obligations work etc.) but both games make me laugh cry love them and hate them so please stop compare two games it is offence against teams work on the games I wish all of you good health and take care :peace:

Oh noes, not another comparison topic, you say ;). But I can't help it: I recently finished my first playthrough of Bioware's epic SciFi-RPG, and before that I could easily say that "no RPG beats TW". Now I'm not so sure, ME has some really shiny aces up its sleeves, so to say:- Gripping, tight story- Plenty of moral choices- More team play, and tactical choices on who to bring with you (with some dire consequences)- Awesome characters- Lots of character interaction- Main character can be defined as you like it, and your choices early on alters the gameAll in all, a truly wonderful game. At least the same heights as TW. Any body else here who has played both and care to comment. If you haven't played it: do that immediately! :)If Dragon Age is any close to this (which it seems to be able to), you're up against some competition, Red! :peace:

You know you can be ban for another comparison topic :evil: I'm kidding well maybe a bit :DI Also played ME and loved the game as well both game are Gems in my book And I'm looking forward to a ME2 So keep your saved game btw.I did like the idea you can make the main char how ever way you wanted it but for this story In ME if fits That ides could not work in TW for we all have a preset idea what Geralt looks like as well as what sex he is but outside of that both game have the same formula And as for competition for the Red Team do you really think it really matter gamers are going to buy games because there good and fun to play and I'm sure In not the only one that buys more then one game And if you look at it KOTOR also had that formula as well and it also one of the best rpg around too

You guys realize you created a new topic for an existing mega thread that's been around for ages? ;)Merged.

Heh heh heh ...I like mass effect, I like it a lot.But it's nothing spectacular.Very good game, and definitely worth buying.The only thing about it I think is better than TW is the combat system ... which has one rather big flaw: some rather poor squad NPC AI .. shooting at & throwing powers against walls is my biggest beef with it.I have a few other issues with it .. such as horrendously unbalanced gear .. encouraging save/reload armour farming.Or the achievement system giving too many mechanical benefits for playing new game+'s (free social skill boosts, combat-based boosts for not rotating squad members, XP % bonus for hitting maximum level ...)Which on the one hand encourages multiple playthroughs, but IMO the story should be drawing you back to replay, not combat bonuses.Personally, since I can afford to buy a lot of games, I am happy to own this one .. and am looking forward to a sequel .. but for those on a budget, I'd recommend Fallout 3 ahead of it.

I too liked both games but found The Witcher superior for a couple of reasons.First of all, it's the "decision system". In real world your decision influence the world, and thus influence on how the world interacts with you. And that's how it works in TW. In ME, if you make a decision, you get points. Sucks, badly. Not to mention that most of the time you just have to choose charm/intimidate options to get your points... in order to be able to choose charm next time. A huge design flaw.Then, there is the story: ME story is pretty bland. I have seen it a thousand times over, in all Bioware RPGs. You're special, because you (are a child of bhaal/you're revan/have used the Beacon) and only you can save the Mankind, the big plot twist wasn't that exciting anymore - when I found out that I was the Child of Bhaal/Darth Revan - that was like "Wow! that's cool". When I found that it's Sovereign who's commanding the Catman (whatever his name was) and not the other way round - ok, that was unexpected, but... I didn't care very much. It didn't change my objectives or perception of the world as the main protagonist one iota.The next thing is the poor exectution of the conversation system in ME - quite a few times your options didn't reflect what Shepard would do next - you choose "I disagree" and he shoots someone.I also think that the graphical design direction in TW was the best I've seen - everything looked just so full of character.On the other hand there are aspects where ME is superior to TW: graphics. Not only the rendering as such but also the execution of the conversations, which looked like cinematics. That was probably game's biggest advantage - whereas in TW there were even more conversations, but they looked just so stiff.... Especially because of the lack of facial expression system, and because of the characters furiously swinging their arms around to compensate their stone-facedness.Also fighting was pretty badly executed in TW: you had little influence on your strategy and the enemies would hit you no matter if you performed the sequences correctly or not. Not to mention rolling out of their range which was only there to look nice - if an opponent started swinging his axe, it would hit even if you managed to roll 5 metres away.Still, it's good story, good writing and design which make a good RPG, and in these aspects TW is one of the best games ever made, in my opinion.

Hmm... you people are in a league of your own to compare Mass Effect with The Witcher. Mass Effect is like having sex while The Witcher is like masturbation. Scratch that. The Witcher doesn't even rank as that. Both games are completely different. Shame on you all for even trying to compare. :)Of course I'm only on the beginning of chapter 2 in this bland Witcher experience. Can someone tell me when it starts to get good? When do I start feeling like a character with a purpose instead of some memoryless wanderer. I've come to the acceptance that the combat is not going to improve. Its just bland, unconnected and lifeless. So what about the story? Why am even in Vaznia or where-ever, why do I care that some Salamanders stole some Witcher secrets. What the hell happened to the Witchers at the beginning of the game? Cant I fight along side someone with half-a-brain. Do I get to have any companions at all? That witch at the end of CH1 was no help at all. No help. It just keeps get worse. Ugh. Some people are saying this game is longer than ME? Sheesh. I'm not going to make it. And for the record Geralt is pussy compared to Shepard. Female Shepard, Renegade, Vanguard >>> Geralt, blah blah, Ch2 Witcher.

Do you even bother to listen to the dialogues in the game? To ask such questions one have to run through the game ignoring everything written and spoken.I'm enjoying ME right in this moment. My 4th playthrough. It's a fine game, really and I understand and like it's storyline and universe. Just the same I understand and like TW universe.I don't buy any of your argument.
When do I start feeling like a character with a purpose instead of some memoryless wanderer.
You ask the same question while playing the best cRPG ever made - Planescape: Torment or KotOR?The rest is just ignoring the story. I could ask just the same about ME. Why am I on Citodal or where-ever, why do I care that some robots go after some protoss becon?

Flash said:
Do you even bother to listen to the dialogues in the game? To ask such questions one have to run through the game ignoring everything written and spoken.I'm enjoying ME right in this moment. My 4th playthrough. It's a fine game, really and I understand and like it's storyline and universe. Just the same I understand and like TW universe.I don't buy any of your argument.
When do I start feeling like a character with a purpose instead of some memoryless wanderer.
You ask the same question while playing the best cRPG ever made - Planescape: Torment or KotOR?The rest is just ignoring the story. I could ask just the same about ME. Why am I on Citodal or where-ever, why do I care that some robots go after some protoss becon?
Presentation. It's all about presentation. ME works because of it's presentation. For example, I dont have to read about their universe. It's narrated in the journal. Awesome presentation. I dont have to read about the Citadal because the AI units give me a tour. Fantastic. And at the beginning of ME, really I dont care that the Geth and Saren are after a beacon. I just wanna find the bastard and serve him justice. I wanna lift someone with my biotics and blast em. It just so happens that along the way it turned out to be a compelling, fun, epic adventure. This game is no PST or KoTOR. I'd know. I just finished playing both within the last few weeks. (I still have the 4-disk PST from 10 years ago!) Those games are brilliantly crafted. Im in Act2 of this game and I'm struggling to continue due to lackluster combat and bizzare dialog options that make no sense what-so-ever. For example I just got out of the sewers, ran all the way back to the dungeon cells to get my gear. I talk to Vincent, the Captain, and there's a dialog option for Salamaders. WTF?! I dont remember at all talking to him about investigating them. Hell, I dont even know why I'm investigating them. I just remember the Professor and some Mage stole something from the Witchers, we're hunting for them, Triss is in the city waiting for me and by chance (but not really I suspect) the Professor is in the same dungeon and got bailed out. I feel like a scatter brain in the game. But talking to the Captain was like, if you wanna go free kill a Cockatrice for me in the sewers, and I was like ok, if it gets me out of the dungeon and moves the plot along, I guess I have to. What I wanna do is go find Triss. Cause we're looking for some payback, witcher-style. I'm totally lost in this game.One thing that's killing my immersion in this game is shaky-cam. After trouncing about I get to a cut-scene with a dialog and my head is spinning from nausea that I cant concentrate on what people are saying, And if I have to start writing down dialogs to remember who I interacted with and why then this game is fail. I've never ever had to do that in 25+ years of gaming. I was willing to overlook the shaky-cam but Act2 in the city, OMG. I'm about ready to throw up the chocolate toffee almonds I'm munching on. I dont usually play FPS, cause they make me sick, but this game for some reason is making me physically ill, and paradoxically so because its not a FPS. I think I'm going to have to shelf this game until there is some patch that fixes the shaky-cam. Either that or sell this game. That's why I havent registered it yet.

I don't know who wrote the story for Mass Effect, but they should be shot. It is absolutely unbelievable that such an average game, with such an abbysimal story is so hyped up. But it just shows the standards of the industry. And to think that Bioware as a company made no progress since Baldur's gate, actually they've even regressed. Ah, it's so sad.ME is bland as bland gets.Compared to witcher it fails in every area.

Protocakes said:
One thing that's killing my immersion in this game is shaky-cam.
The Witcher allows to choose 3 different cameras, one of them is TPP camera. I don't get it how The Witcher camera is shaky and ME not, when both look the same.HamenaglarThis is just a matter of taste. Protocakes says The Witcher is bland, you say ME is bland, in my opinion both are great.

Flash said:
Flash said:
One thing that's killing my immersion in this game is shaky-cam.
The Witcher allows to choose 3 different cameras, one of them is TPP camera. I don't get it how The Witcher camera is shaky and ME not, when both look the same.HamenaglarThis is just a matter of taste. Protocakes says The Witcher is bland, you say ME is bland, in my opinion both are great.
Well, I finally ended up using F2 view, low iso I think. I use the WASD keys to move, which I didnt know you could use. So it's like OTS view without the shaky-cam. And yes, ME has shaky-cam but for some reason it didnt get me sick like this game. I since restarted playing this game in F2 view and its pretty enjoyable. I still get confused with the story in this game though cause I'm in Act2 and I have 20 quests, so It's really quest overload for me. I'm actually stuck in Act2, the monsters in the swamp (those plant thingy's) just decimate me so there's probably a trick or I should'nt be there. I think I'm playing this game wrong or doing the quests in the wrong order or something.

Top Bottom