The world of 2077 feels like a critique on the modern world

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is fucking sexualized to the point of hilarity, people are dependent on tech like a junkie is on drugs, corporations own the world and enforce hive mind mentality... it feels like where the world is going, unless it's pretty much there already. This is what sets this game apart from most others, I don't think these subjects have been explored in such a raw, unforgiving way by anyone else in this medium.

You don't say?
Like, maybe the entire Cyberpunk genre is and has always been a critique on modern day capitalism from its inception?
Maybe that has something to do with it?

You don't say?
Like, maybe the entire Cyberpunk genre is and has always been a critique on modern day capitalism from its inception?
Maybe that has something to do with it?

No, by "modern world" I mean these specific times, not simply modern day capitalism. Society has never been as sexualized and tech dependent as it is today. The genre has a long history, but it has never felt as relevant as now. We are discussing the videogame, there are next to none belonging to this genre, let alone as ruthless in the portrayal of the world's decadence as this one. No other games touch this subject, as most fall into the politically correct category (known to never question the established order). My point is that CDPR seems to have chosen this world deliberately due to this reason.

Last edited:
And I believe that you're purposefully ignoring the source material.
2077 is nothing if not a perfect representation of Cyberpunk 2020.
As for the sexualisation of our world... You haven't lived through the 80's did you?
As far as other videogames not touching the subjects there are many, but I'll give you one example: Deus Ex Machina.

What I'm saying is that while I agree that 2077 is a hell of a thing and a very good game, CDPR aren't the trailblazing visionaries thing you think they are.

And I believe that you're purposefully ignoring the source material.
2077 is nothing if not a perfect representation of Cyberpunk 2020.
As for the sexualisation of our world... You haven't lived through the 80's did you?
As far as other videogames not touching the subjects there are many, but I'll give you one example: Deus Ex Machina.

What I'm saying is that while I agree that 2077 is a hell of a thing and a very good game, CDPR aren't the trailblazing visionaries thing you think they are.
Deus Ex and 2077 are very different though. The first deals more with the Sci-Fi aspects of Cyberpunk: the steady disappearance of true humanity due to the tech that means to replace it completely. 2077 is more about what happens to whatever is left of humanity, it becoming decayed and rotten by a society that enforces vices and materialism above all. Sure, in the 80's things were getting more and more sexualized, but nothing compared to what's happening in the 2010's and 2020's, in these decades we have things that would have been unthinkable during those times. BTW I never said it was a trailblazing work, just that it is a breath of fresh air in the current climate.

Last edited:
Well... About that, it's impossible to disagree that CDPR are not the trailblazing visionaries, since Cyberpunk 2077 is inspired by someone else's vision of the futur :giggle:
They def aren't, any merit is Pondsmith's. But sometimes, something old can be more revolutionary than modern works

It's a game that doesn't follow certain ideological trends, you should expect it to go places :smart:

I'm going to assume the ideological trends you speak of are the same edit you previously referred to.

So, in what way is this game not following these trends?

As a side note, what I meant by "places" is this is heading very quickly into "locked thread territory".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to assume the ideological trends you speak of are the same edit you previously referred to.

So, in what way is this game not following these trends?

As a side note, what I meant by "places" is this is heading very quickly into "locked thread territory".
No political correctness in CP2077, the decadence of society is portrayed in a severely negative way as befits such a story, minority characters are not defined solely by the group of people they belong to... CDPR products have never been woke and this is no exception. The woke ideology actively avoids the reality of the world to the point of whitewashing it, so we can rule out 2077 as such.

Oh, you are edit That explains everything.
Also, CP2077 is extremely left leaning and anti-capitalistic, which is by definition "woke".
The left is not the same as woke. Plenty of feminists do not support the woke ideology, would you call them right wingers?

While this thread had a semi-subtle political feel to it, it has now officially crossed into very overtly political.

To be clear, I'm not doing any reporting here but I have no doubt that moderator intervention is juuuuuuuust around the corner now.

If somebody is worried about that type of things,better check rpgcodex they are masters on this stuff...from time to time they even talk about rpgs sometimes they even praise one.

The left is not the same as woke. Plenty of feminists do not support the woke ideology, would you call them right wingers?
The distinction is meaningless, because the overlap between leftists and "woke" people is almost absolute.

But to stay on topic, you are absolutely wrong on several levels.
1) CP 2077 doesn't criticize over-sexualisation. None of CDPRs games do, as a matter of fact. The secondary protagonist is a drug addicted promiscuous rock musician, this traits are never portraited as negative. And that's just tip of the iceberg. What is criticized, however, is exploitation and abuse that sex workers suffer - which is a correct and based perspective, but it represents a completely different issue.
2) Tech use isn't criticized either - it is even encouraged, both from story perspective as well as gameplay. The only point where you can squeeze some form of critique is cyber-psychosis, but it mostly exists in side-missions, overwhelming amount of which happened due to the negligence and greed of superiors, who gave their subordinates faulty implants. This is, again, a critique of worker's exploration, not tech addiction.
3) "Hive mind mentality ", whatever that means, misses the mark completely. Night City is anything, but a hive mind - it is an extremely atomized and individualistic society, where Homo homini lupus is not just a proverb, but a leading principle.
The crux of game's critiques are, indeed, issues of modern world - none of them has anything to do with "vice", "degeneracy" or whatever. It's pollution, poverty, militarization of police force, commodification of medicine, violence towards marginalized groups and unchecked power of capital that made CyberPunk world the way it is. The game isn't even subtle about it, it is as in-your-face about its anti-capitalist message as possible.
And if instead of focusing on what actually makes people's miserable in these circumstances, the focus is shifted on irrelevant, superficial things that aren't even criticized to begin with, it definitely points out to some hardcore projection and insecurities on someone's part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom