The Worst Card Downgrade of the Public Beta [Unicorn and Chironex]

+
The Worst Card Downgrade of the Public Beta [Unicorn and Chironex]

Has to be without a doubt, Yennefer. There's really no excuse (I repeat, no excuse) for Unicorn and Chironex to be Silver cards. To what purpose was this change made? If you say, BTM, so help me I will go Melissa McCarthy Spicey on you!

There's no reason for the ability of a Legendary Card to be countered by a Savage Bear. NONE. This may sound like a rant. It is not a rant. It's just an observation about how a once decent, well-balanced card, has been made inferior for no discernible reason.

They should go back to being Gold. And if you don't want them to go back to being Gold, you should up their Strength to 3.

Maybe this should be in the suggestions forum. Or maybe it really is a goddamn rant. I dunno.

So THE worst downgrade is because of one card that will counter it? Now you can decoy the card to double effect or even devour it, giving it more room for combos.

Now, let's look at Roach. +5 silver card that spawns from deck ONLY with use of gold card (not including leader) and it wont come back from grave anymore. It is now literally just 1 card mulligan that gives below avarage silver value.

For Scoai'tael (which I play most of the time) I would say Isengrim and Saskia were the two hardest hit.

MrRagdoll;n8704030 said:
So THE worst downgrade is because of one card that will counter it? Now you can decoy the card to double effect or even devour it, giving it more room for combos.

Now, let's look at Roach. +5 silver card that spawns from deck ONLY with use of gold card (not including leader) and it wont come back from grave anymore. It is now literally just 1 card mulligan that gives below avarage silver value.

Well, technically, more than one card will counter Unicorn or Chironex. I agree that the nerf to Roach was not necessary, it's not as egregious. First off, Roach is a choice. Yennefer is a starting Gold for new players. Here's a 6 point Gold, that if you are playing the wrong faction, and can't counter their lesser cards, you can't use for more than 6 Strength.

Name another Gold card whose ability can be prevented from being triggered, provided there are legitimate targets for it. (Excluding Timer or End of Round abilities that get Shackled)

Last edited:
frbfree;n8704470 said:
Yennefer is a starting Gold for new players. Here's a 6 point Gold, that if you are playing the wrong faction, and can't counter their lesser cards, you can't use for more than 6 Strength.

Name another Gold card whose ability can be prevented from being triggered, provided there are legitimate targets for it. (Excluding Timer or End of Round abilities that get Shackled)

Yen is a starting gold? I only got it yesterday from a keg.

Anyhow, I have to admit that this card seems too unreliable atm. In most situations you'll get more from any starter deck gold, than from this card.
Maybe make Yen 7 Strength and give Unicorn & Chironex a shield? Then you could use Bekkers Twisted Mirror a bit more often, a card which sadly is also struggling a lot right now.

devivre;n8705120 said:
Yen is a starting gold? I only got it yesterday from a keg.

If she wasn't, I hope I wasn't too excited when I got her in a keg.

I actually don't know what the starting golds were, because I opened like 100 Kegs before I even looked at the starter decks.

frbfree;n8705450 said:
I actually don't know what the starting golds were, because I opened like 100 Kegs before I even looked at the starter decks.

Yeah, I guess most of us CB players did that. I only know it because I got curious and checked a few days ago. You can look for public beta starter decks in http://www.gwentdb.com: It's Geralt, Triss and Royal Decree + a specific gold for each faction. For example -> http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18217-monsters-starter-deck-public-beta

I think CDPR gave us a pretty nice selection this time.

Changes =/= Nerfs

Certain cards, like Yen, have changed, rather than being nerfed outright. This change can be stronger in certain situations, while weaker in others.

Yen was not a starter card. I had to craft her.

When Yen's horses were gold they were not really useful. I agree that as silver they can be used better. But they are kicked out too easily. Still, making them less than 4 strength would not really save them, either, imo. There are way too many players out there packing way too much fire power. Maybe bringing them up already shielded as suggested could give them a chance.

Or not...I mean, having provided me or hit my opponents with many points' worth, what is +/- one point?

frbfree;n8703740 said:
Has to be without a doubt, Yennefer. There's really no excuse (I repeat, no excuse) for Unicorn and Chironex to be Silver cards

is there a purpose for them to be gold?
frbfree;n8703740 said:
There's no reason for the ability of a Legendary Card to be countered by a Savage Bear.

i'm pretty sure savage bear isn't supposed to work with spawned units

RickMelethron;n8761030 said:
is there a purpose for them to be gold?

i'm pretty sure savage bear isn't supposed to work with spawned units

Well, one or the other. Either make them Gold to protect them from Savage Bear and Moren, or boost their strength to the same end. I mean, I'm pretty sure Iris and Sabrina Glevissig were bumped for just this reason.

Top Bottom