The Writhing of Night City....

+
I mean, are random encounters good? I prefer story driven content.

Having both would be best, of course. I understand what is beng asked for. It adds a dynamic of realism and excitement. But it's very hard to program into the game. It would take a great deal of time.

At the end of the day, most or all things are planned, there really isn't random events. We can't even generate random numbers. We can try to create an illusion of randomness, but that's it. Things just don't appear out of no where. We call that "magic."

When I first turned on the game, I was expecting to get jumped in the dark alleys, random goons chasing after me. To feel threatened at every corner at night. Just keep walking, you'll be alright.

That's my idea for multiplayer. Having other players be able to enter your single player game to gank you. Another was allowing other players to date you. That would be a bold move by CDPR to tag on a dateing sim.

Wonderfull writing there mr.cappadocia

Last edited:
Yes, random encounters are good. The City is a character unto itself and all characters need autonomy. Random encounters would be how that autonomy is represented.

Honestly all of this. I thought, when initially playing, my reputation/street creed would determine a lot about how people treat me. Not to the level of always being hyper aggressive but I thought it would be like this:

0-20%: Normal interactions

21-35%: Can get off with warning against cops, gangs take a bit longer to react, vendors give you 1-2 things on the house. NPCs take notice of what you're doing a bit slower.

40-70%: Cops let one heinous action slide, gangs want a piece of you, people who you've helped are more willing to help/hide you/speak to people on your behalf/NPCs either love of fear you based on your actions.

80-99%: Pretty much make or break land. Depending on how you rose to the top and who you pissed off to get there it's on sight. The people you helped are always there/discounts in shops is major/same for vehicles

100% (Top 1%): All things mentioned before plus you're on the corpos radar. Whether it's good or bad depends again on how you got you rep. If you always helped people it looks opportunistic but iffy because corpo. But it means to street kids/nomads you're a legend. If you stepped on people and killed to get to the top nomads flat out hate you, street kids fear you, and corpos want you in their inner circle that fuels back into the corpo story line. It can make more sense in terms of getting the devil ending because you really sold your sold to get to the top.

The main thing I would love to see from this is something like in Star Wars where actions out of character for Jedi/Sith change how certain types of characters act around you as a whole and make reference to your behavior in a set way. If you're known for popping gangs or course gangs hate you but civilians are less likely to run when you start shooting/fighting.

They could expand on this by using gang specific creeds to determine their standing with the group and deny missions based on rep. Prime example, Valentinos are very moral, family, and betraying the gang is the worse thing you can do so of course taking missions that involve betrayal, disgracing moral codes, and endangering families won't get you far with them and might even get a bounty on your head.

I've noticed that the police act more like another gang, stand near them and they attack ...shouldn't they be a little bit of server and protect instead of another health risk to V while NPCs are ignored...I haven't been killing cops....if I had a wanted level it would make sense but npcs come and go just fine within inches...

I've noticed that the police act more like another gang, stand near them and they attack ...shouldn't they be a little bit of server and protect instead of another health risk to V while NPCs are ignored...I haven't been killing cops....if I had a wanted level it would make sense but npcs come and go just fine within inches...
I don't know if it's always like that, but when I walking "calmly" near cops, they don't spot me. But if I run, they do. I tried only few times, so I don't know if it's a "rule" :)

Which is something that troubles me... There should be a loss of street cred when you *work for the cops*.

There should've been another form of street cred for corpo advancement. How well you work within the system.

Do early work for NCPD and eventually you get access to corpo fixers and corpo gear that's top of the line.

Which is something that troubles me... There should be a loss of street cred when you *work for the cops*.

There should've been another form of street cred for corpo advancement. How well you work within the system.

Do early work for NCPD and eventually you get access to corpo fixers and corpo gear that's top of the line.

corpo's arent really lawful. They are often running their own illegal endeavors. The cops aren't generally paid to enforce the law against them. The most valuable trait within the corpo world is success. Note that the heist, at the end of the day, was netwatch paying for you to rob Arasaka, And Arasaka was stealing peoples brains for 50 years. They literally kidnapped and killed Alt Cunningham. Hanako wants you to help violently overthrow her brother. Militech is backing and supplying Maelstrom. Arasaka made the tigerclaws, etc.

Also note, you get no street cred for fighting cops or civilians. Street cred is actually closer to how well known/respected you are as a merc.

in cyberpunk, the 'streets' basically just means NC.
Post automatically merged:

Odd fact, if you kill a bunch of gang members, the gang will attack you on sight.

A lot of players never noticed this was a thing.

this is because very few players avoid killing gangs. I think also some of the bigger gang related quests can move it a little bit. Like siding with maelstrom. But its hard to test. I just remember one playthrough I killed no valentinos, and I think after I did the offrenda, and some quests, they wouldn't even fight me in a Boss skull area.

Which was weird, because I thought some places the enemies would always agro

Last edited:
Operating within the System isn't being Lawful.

The reason you don't get benefits (you don't get experience for your abilities like pistolero, or hogtying either, choom) is because they spawn endlessly.

Operating within the System isn't being Lawful.

The reason you don't get benefits (you don't get experience for your abilities like pistolero, or hogtying either, choom) is because they spawn endlessly.

there is no system that corpo's would respect you for working within, is what I'm trying to say. They respect no laws or system, or code. Within militech, one faction was supporting maelstrom, and another was trying to stop them from giving maelstrom weapons. A corporation respected Adam smasher enough to offer him a superior body, and high level security positions, because he was a psychopathic hitman.

what would be an example of working within the system? Because almost anything you could think of, the corpos do the opposite if its in their interest. Even working only corpo jobs wouldn't be considered a plus for many corpos.

Also, the cops give exp, just not street cred, and certain enemy groups endlessly respawn more easily than cops. It was intentional that you get no extra respect for fighting cops. (or corpo agents actually)

As I said street cred is more about how well known/respected you are in NC. Rogue, Morgan Blackhand, etc for example would have legendary street cred, and they aren't anti cop.

there is no system that corpo's would respect you for working within, is what I'm trying to say.
When "the law is me", you can do whatever you want :)
(like kill the half of the european space concil because they don't go in your way... And listen at the radio that it's certainly due to a cyberware malfunction...)

Edit :
And for the cops, I don't know in other country but in France, when you see Cops who apprehend a guy or do their little business, you avoid going too close and even less going to talk to them. It seems rather obvious to me especially since Night City shots in the limbs are considered as warning shots... So that they shoot you, seems "normal". But it's true that civilians should also avoid them for it to appear more believable :)

Last edited:
With the police issue I agree that if you stand or stumble around cops they shoot at you. In the game you have to be very annoying and dance around them (or almost in the last patches it seems to me that cops are more patient)

One thing is true the city is "calm" as you say.
With the gangs of NC I have a personal grudge against Scrapers. As soon as I see a group, I attack them. I killed thousands in my playthroughs; so I would hope that the game would note this and the scrapers would hunt me down or put a price on my head or do something. But no. I can stroll peacefully within their zones and say hello to them. No danger at all.

And as many says some random encounters are not bad if you are exploring dangerous areas (if you are history focused, just ignore secondary areas)

Let's start with the easy parts of how you're wrong. Go pick a fight with regular bad guys and drive away. Note the XP you get.

Then, go murderer however many cops you likerer, drive away, and then take note of how much experience you're awarded for getting the whole cast of NCPD Blue to shake hands with Jesus. The digits'll be thin I assure you.

As to what corpos hold sacrosanct? What system corpos adhere to? Well that's obvious that it pains me to have to explain it choom... the system of entrenched power.

Corpos are, almost to a man, adherents to the church of *self preservation*. They have something to lose and they don't want to lose it. Thus the benefit of corporations: *stability*. What does an individual already on top want more than almost everything else? To stay there. Something something first rule of power.

Notice how none of the corporations are defined by what they believe (instead defined by what they do) while *all* the gangs are defined by what they believe? The quasi catholic Valentinos, the patriotic sixth street, the hedonistic/yakuza oriented tyger claws, and so forth. These organizations are defined by what they believe. Corporations are defined by what they do.

This might be hard to parse... but what does "Arasaka" believe? If you dig deep the original purpose was Japanese World Domination... but that dream is long since dead for all intents and purposes. Militech is a quasi branch of the Federal Government yet you'll notice nothing especially patriotic about them.

Consider a mission where you break in, eliminate guards, assassinate someone, and recover data... you engage in the *exact same functions*... but if you do it with the backing of a fixer to be paid off by the valentinos, or you do it at the behest of a corpo depositing eddies into your account via militech... the motivations for *why* such actions need to take place, who you're eliminating, the amount you'll get paid and more will differ dramatically.

For example, if you're a thug in the employ of the valentinos and get caught... the valentinos don't care. Conversely if you're an operator for Militech and you get caught *that's a PR nightmare* that needs to be dealt with.

If you're high up in rankings at militech, a known quantity that can accomplish the impossible you'll rake in tremendous cash and have access to the very best militech has to offer. Maelstrom would probably pay money to the first gonk who managed to complete the job, but would more likely than not just zero them too.

Are you seeing how the systems are different? The Streets can afford fuck ups and failures, corpos cannot.

Then, go murderer however many cops you likerer, drive away, and then take note of how much experience you're awarded for getting the whole cast of NCPD Blue to shake hands with Jesus. The digits'll be thin I assure you.
Yep, I know exactly how much : none.
That's the goal... in fact :)

And Fixers don't really care about mercs, so those who pay fixers for a job, even less.
That's all the interest of fixers. Not being able to make the link between "who paid for the job" and "who did the job". :)

Top Bottom