The Writhing of Night City....

+
Corpos are, almost to a man, adherents to the church of *self preservation*. They have something to lose and they don't want to lose it. Thus the benefit of corporations: *stability*. What does an individual already on top want more than almost everything else? To stay there. Something something first rule of power.

While that's certainly true in RL, the corporations in Cyberpunk are notably ideologically driven with Arasaka being about expanding a Neo-Imperial Japanese supremacy while Militech is a jingoistic tool of a dead America.

That's what informed the creation of Arasaka. Think it still is? 120 years later? What ideology drives militech? The recreation of old America? The growth of the NUSA?

That's what informed the creation of Arasaka. Think it still is? 120 years later? What ideology drives militech? The recreation of old America? The growth of the NUSA?

I imagine it changed under Kei who wasn't a xenophobic nationalist but it moved back under Saburo after Kei's death. Hanako isn't the same as her dad but she's been convinced to be an Arasaka Nationalist so that's a horizontal move.

As for Militech, it wants to "Make America Great Again" and that's not me being cute but literal in that it wishes to reconquer the United States and enforce a top down corporate-backed US state of the same kind that fucked up and got itself collapsed before. It's sort of like the Enclave without the "kill all mutants" element.

Megacorps being nation-states as well as corporate entities mean that profit isn't enough anymore because they print their own currency. Its now about spehres of influence and domination of markets.

I imagine it changed under Kei who wasn't a xenophobic nationalist but it moved back under Saburo after Kei's death. Hanako isn't the same as her dad but she's been convinced to be an Arasaka Nationalist so that's a horizontal move.
and also and above all remove everything that stands in its way (even a entire City) :)
Databank find in Saburo's AV during "The Heist" > Diary (117-121/77)
Significant excerpt :
121/77
I see the coastline. Strange - in my memories the city seemed larger. If I wanted to, i could wipe it off the map in under ten minutes. I shared this thought with Hanako - she thinks I shouldn't do that. I usually defer to her opinion. But if the Relic somehow fell into the wrong hands, maybe it would be better to bury it among the ashes of NC?
Until we talk to Y, I will hold off on a firm decision.
In short, if things go wrong with Yorinobu, he reserves the right to destroy Night City (luckily he dies...).
Imagine "The Heist" is a success and Saburo doesn't die... Goodbye Night City !!!

and also and above all remove everything that stands in its way (even a entire City) :)
Databank find in Saburo's AV during "The Heist" > Diary (117-121/77)
Significant excerpt :

In short, if things go wrong with Yorinobu, he reserves the right to destroy Night City (luckily he dies...).
Imagine "The Heist" is a success and Saburo doesn't die... Goodbye Night City !!!

I think it says everything you need to know about Saburo Arasaka that when people said that he was the one who detonated the nuke and killed 200K, destroying his headquarters and own son, that everyone believed it.

I believe Saburo's only objection woud be, "I would NEVER kill my son. Everyone else? Pfft. Absolutely."

Let's start with the easy parts of how you're wrong. Go pick a fight with regular bad guys and drive away. Note the XP you get.

Then, go murderer however many cops you likerer, drive away, and then take note of how much experience you're awarded for getting the whole cast of NCPD Blue to shake hands with Jesus. The digits'll be thin I assure you.

As to what corpos hold sacrosanct? What system corpos adhere to? Well that's obvious that it pains me to have to explain it choom... the system of entrenched power.

Corpos are, almost to a man, adherents to the church of *self preservation*. They have something to lose and they don't want to lose it. Thus the benefit of corporations: *stability*. What does an individual already on top want more than almost everything else? To stay there. Something something first rule of power.

Notice how none of the corporations are defined by what they believe (instead defined by what they do) while *all* the gangs are defined by what they believe? The quasi catholic Valentinos, the patriotic sixth street, the hedonistic/yakuza oriented tyger claws, and so forth. These organizations are defined by what they believe. Corporations are defined by what they do.

This might be hard to parse... but what does "Arasaka" believe? If you dig deep the original purpose was Japanese World Domination... but that dream is long since dead for all intents and purposes. Militech is a quasi branch of the Federal Government yet you'll notice nothing especially patriotic about them.

Consider a mission where you break in, eliminate guards, assassinate someone, and recover data... you engage in the *exact same functions*... but if you do it with the backing of a fixer to be paid off by the valentinos, or you do it at the behest of a corpo depositing eddies into your account via militech... the motivations for *why* such actions need to take place, who you're eliminating, the amount you'll get paid and more will differ dramatically.

For example, if you're a thug in the employ of the valentinos and get caught... the valentinos don't care. Conversely if you're an operator for Militech and you get caught *that's a PR nightmare* that needs to be dealt with.

If you're high up in rankings at militech, a known quantity that can accomplish the impossible you'll rake in tremendous cash and have access to the very best militech has to offer. Maelstrom would probably pay money to the first gonk who managed to complete the job, but would more likely than not just zero them too.

Are you seeing how the systems are different? The Streets can afford fuck ups and failures, corpos cannot.

corpos act with impunity, when they feel like it. Kang tao isn't secretly killing people where their drones went down. Arasaka security openly murders a corpo daughter who was dating some one from Pacifica. Yorinobu blows up a building cause it might gave takemura in it. Not to mention Arasaka and militech had an open unsanctioned war in the streets of California back in silverhands time. They literally dropped meteors on people if they felt like it until skyriders took over.

Corpo are not about stability, or entrenched power. They are about serving their own interests, and their interests change all the time. If they need stability, they seek it, if they want chaos they create it. Sometimes they want things quiet, other times they are bold. They also have different
Post automatically merged:

I think it says everything you need to know about Saburo Arasaka that when people said that he was the one who detonated the nuke and killed 200K, destroying his headquarters and own son, that everyone believed it.

I believe Saburo's only objection woud be, "I would NEVER kill my son. Everyone else? Pfft. Absolutely."

well, they actually did apparently have an area denial nuke in the old mikoshi or whatever it was called back then. And it was way bigger. But the situation didnt end up going down that way

Odd fact, if you kill a bunch of gang members, the gang will attack you on sight.

A lot of players never noticed this was a thing.
Also, to note. When you go do that 6th street side quest with shooting targets...one of the gang member recognizes you and tells he's boss that he knows who you are and that you shot at their gang members and then hell brakes loose and all shoot the crap out of you. Preventing you from getting the winning gun.

Also, to note. When you go do that 6th street side quest with shooting targets...one of the gang member recognizes you and tells he's boss that he knows who you are and that you shot at their gang members and then hell brakes loose and all shoot the crap out of you. Preventing you from getting the winning gun.
Yep, it's stadium Love :)
If Gig: Life's Work was completed prior to this using a non-stealth approach: a gang member at the first station will make a remark about knowing you from somewhere. After finishing all stations, he will recognize you, causing the members to become hostile, in which case there's no way to end this quest without a fight breaking out.
Gig: Life's Work
But I think, after kill them all, you can pick up the smart rifle (Divided We Stand) anyway. Exactly like if you respond badly to the guy at the very beginning and fight them directly.

Top Bottom