The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me Yen is even more bitchy than Triss, and I'm looking forward how this will be done in W3. I'm all for choice here. I want to make decisions with that regard, and no amount of "lore breaking - burn them all guys" will change my mind here. This is a game, non-linear I may add, not a fixed story that you read.

For me Yen is even more bitchy than Triss, and I'm looking forward how this will be done in W3. I'm all for choice here. I want to make decisions with that regard, and no amount of "lore breaking - burn them all guys" will change my mind here. This is a game, non-linear I may add, not a fixed story that you read.

Not a single person here said that choosing Triss over Yennefer would be lore-breaking. All that was said is, that if one has read the books, it is obvious to him/her, what Geralt would do. There is simply no choice to be made. That of course does not stop a person who has read the books and did not like Yennefer, to have his own opinion on the choice.

"lore breaking - burn them all guys"

Not sure If that phrase is actually meant kindheartedly, but I definitely did not enjoy it.

Not a single person here said that choosing Triss over Yennefer would be lore-breaking. All that was said is, that if one has read the books, it is obvious to him/her, what Geralt would do. There is simply no choice to be made. That of course does not stop a person who has read the books and did not like Yennefer, to have his own opinion on the choice.

"lore breaking - burn them all guys"

Not sure If that phrase is actually meant kindheartedly, but I definitely did not enjoy it.

Well, the choice is to make a choice out of available possibilities in the game. And I would like to have this option.

I guess I need to "upgrade" my language skills as well as my sense of humor (less sarcasm ;) ). The only guy that is gonna burn is me - for liking how Yen looks, for accepting crossbow, and wanting Triss as major "love interest".

EDIT: Wait, there are people that actually liked Yen?! Oh my... ;) (not that i particulary like Triss :p )

Last edited:
The only thing I refuse to find is the dicotomy of Save the world or save your love.. Anything else than that!!!

Also, I have already assumed (maybe wrongly) that one of the important choices that will import into TW3 would be Triss-related...

I suspect that would be a wrong assumption - there isn't much variation in the TW2 endings as far as Triss is concerned. There's the decision that affects the sorceresses generally, but whatever happens, Triss is still your friend.

Sometimes a cliched but very well-written plot is somehow much more enjoyable that an original but poorly executed one. And original writing is more difficult, of course. It happened to me with ME2, which has a main arch really weak and unoriginal, but it works, and works really well IMHO.

In Blacha we trust.

I suspect that would be a wrong assumption - there isn't much variation in the TW2 endings as far as Triss is concerned. There's the decision that affects the sorceresses generally, but whatever happens, Triss is still your friend.

Friend, sure, but in my mind should be differences (in their relationship) if you gave the Rose/save her or not, and it would be nice if the game recognize them. Anyway, not a big problem.

Last edited:
Friend, sure, but in my mind should be differences (in their relationship) if you gave the Rose/save her or not, and it would be nice if the game recognize them. Anyway, not a big problem.

Agree after the previous Shani incident i'd be very disappointed if import doesn't recognise differences in relationship based on such events.

As others pointed out before, quite correctly, this is a choice that will in no way depend only on Geralt's desires.

First off, Yen, assuming she is her old self, isn't the kind of woman who just mopes around because some pretty redhead is hitting on her man. As far Yen is concerned, if anyone is going to be hitting on anyone, she'll be doing the hitting. She's had words with Triss about this in the past, and Triss eventually accepted it.

Second, in the same vein, Triss knows that her time is probably up. She managed to weave a half-lie to get Geralt to feel more strongly for her than he would have - and let's be honest, she lied to herself as much as she did to Geralt by deluding herself into thinking it could be - and by the end of TW2, she pretty clearly tells him that if he's going after Yen, then she's willing to help him find her.

Third and last: Ciri is not going to be indifferent to the outcome. Ciri sees Geralt and Yen as her surrogate parents and has gone to some pretty extreme lengths in the books to keep them (or even, at times, bring them back) together. She very much likes Triss, but I strongly doubt she'd be happy about it if Geralt let Yen go. As soon as Geralt finds her, she'll want to know where Yen is, and to see her.

In the end, I think CDPR can perfectly well end up not giving us any choice without it seeming hamfisted or odd for those who haven't read the books. They just need to establish that a) Yen won't have it, b) Ciri won't have it, and c) Triss loves Geralt/Yen/Ciri enough that she won't intrude if they end up reunited as a family again. Do that, and even players who never heard about the books will understand why they aren't being given any say in the matter.

I mean, if Geralt doesn't get a say in the matter, we as the players sure as heck don't either :comeatmebro:

As others pointed out before, quite correctly, this is a choice that will in no way depend only on Geralt's desires.
In the end, I think CDPR can perfectly well end up not giving us any choice without it seeming hamfisted or odd for those who haven't read the books. They just need to establish that a) Yen won't have it, b) Ciri won't have it, and c) Triss loves Geralt/Yen/Ciri enough that she won't intrude if they end up reunited as a family again. Do that, and even players who never heard about the books will understand why they aren't being given any say in the matter.

I mean, if Geralt doesn't get a say in the matter, we as the players sure as heck don't either :comeatmebro:

Disagree strongly. Us as Geralt getting a say in the matter matters. Unless they have abandoned the notion of the game being an rpg(where players get to make choices in the story) then choice in this area should exist as well.

Heres my 2 cents:
As one of those that have not read the books (something i am going to remedy today) i would like to be given the option to choose either Yennefer or Triss in the final instalment, CDPR has over the course of 2 games given us the choice to care about Triss, and that should be rewarded in some fashion if you have chosen her in the previous games.

Sure it is not canon, but the Author has already said that he does not consider the games canon, which opens up for this possibility to take place, to force the players hand on this issue would not sit right with me since i believe it should be a personal choice, for all the pro Yennfer's here on the forum i say all the power to you guys, go for Yennefer but please let the ones who wants to go with Triss have the option to go for her.

Totally disagree.
Why should I (the player) give a thing about something Yen or Ciri want / don't want ? I don't know them if I haven't read the books so why should I care ? Just because once she's been the love of my life ? Naaaaah, c'mon, I think everyones knows feelings can change.
Yes, I know they are somehow magically bound to each other (I've read the first three books yet and will continue reading) but for me it's reasonable that this band is cut off due to all the things that happend. And no, I don't say it should be handled like this, I just say, that this would work for me personally.

And we still don't know how both charakters will show up. It's really important how they will act, especially for those who haven't read the books.
If Yen acts like she acts in the first books no one would have a reason to choose her, I guess (at least I'm still asking myself why the hell Geralt is so crazy for that bitch).

Sure it is not canon, but the Author has already said that he does not consider the games canon, which opens up for this possibility to take place, to force the players hand on this issue would not sit right with me since i believe it should be a personal choice, for all the pro Yennfer's here on the forum i say all the power to you guys, go for Yennefer but please let the ones who wants to go with Triss have the option to go for her.

Exactly this !

Last edited:
Disagree strongly. Us as Geralt getting a say in the matter matters. Unless they have abandoned the notion of the game being an rpg(where players get to make choices in the story) then choice in this area should exist as well.

That's an illusion. In TW1 you couldn't choose between Shani and Triss, you had to choose which one you give Alvin to and that affected your relationship. So for instance, i believe Shani would be the better mother, but i want to romance Triss. Nada, doesn't work. (at least that's how i remember it right now)

You have to give Alvin to that person, which you want to romance after all. What has that to do with your feelings towards a person? Just because you like one person more than the other doesn't make her a better mother.

And now the funny one, no matter what you do in the whole first game, you will end up with Triss in TW2. Yes, you are in a relationship at the beginning of TW2, doesn't matter if you like it or not. And there was not a single sequence, where you could just end that relationship for real. They forced you into it and then you could choose to deepen or ignore it. If you like Triss, great for you, they already paved the way for that relationship, but if you don't like her, well, you have to endure it anyway and wait for Ves ;)

So in the end you didn't really have full control at any time, but a limited one.

But one could argue that Geralt's second brain makes his own decisions ;D

Totally disagree.
Why should I (the player) give a thing about something Yen or Ciri want / don't want ? I don't know them if I haven't read the books so why should I care ? Just because once she's been the love of my life ? Naaaaah, c'mon, I think everyones knows feelings can change.

I think you may have slightly misunderstood my point. My point, to be precise, was that we as players can only make Geralt take decisions in matters where he actually has a choice. Think of it this way: you get to fight or spare Letho because he walks up to you and literally asks you what it's going to be; imagine if instead of asking you, he had been waiting in ambush and had just lunged at you: you wouldn't have had a choice, because Geralt wouldn't have had a choice. What I'm implying is that it may very well be that Geralt ends up not having a choice at all because the other characters will not give it to him. If Yen asks, in-game, Triss to stand down and she agrees and just leaves, that's it. TW3 is not a rom-com where you run behind the girl with an umbrella pretending to be a knight. Regardless of what the book is, the game can perfectly well produce a twist in which you don't have a choice.

I mean: when Foltest dies at the beginning of TW2, you don't have a choice. You're standing right there, but all you get to do is watch, despite the fact you had a somewhat close relation to the guy in TW1, and to a lesser extent in the books. You have no choice because Geralt is caught unawares and is powerless. Do you really think it's unlikely that the same could occur with the Yen/Ciri/Triss group?

I think you may have slightly misunderstood my point. My point, to be precise, was that we as players can only make Geralt take decisions in matters where he actually has a choice. Think of it this way: you get to fight or spare Letho because he walks up to you and literally asks you what it's going to be; imagine if instead of asking you, he had been waiting in ambush and had just lunged at you: you wouldn't have had a choice, because Geralt wouldn't have had a choice. What I'm implying is that it may very well be that Geralt ends up not having a choice at all because the other characters will not give it to him. If Yen asks, in-game, Triss to stand down and she agrees and just leaves, that's it. TW3 is not a rom-com where you run behind the girl with an umbrella pretending to be a knight. Regardless of what the book is, the game can perfectly well produce a twist in which you don't have a choice.

I mean: when Foltest dies at the beginning of TW2, you don't have a choice. You're standing right there, but all you get to do is watch, despite the fact you had a somewhat close relation to the guy in TW1, and to a lesser extent in the books. You have no choice because Geralt is caught unawares and is powerless. Do you really think it's unlikely that the same could occur with the Yen/Ciri/Triss group?

Well if this happens I would be pretty pissed sure something like Foltest dying can't be stopped but thats because its an event that sets the whole story of TW 2 and choosing between Yennefer and Triss is something much more personal so you can't really compare that mate
I hope CDPR doesn't take this lazy route and gives us the choice even though I'm reading the books I think Triss is better than Yennefer !!

Till now we don't know how the possible choice between Triss or Yenn would influence to the main story, because, let's no forget, there's Ciri, Yen and Geralt's daugther, and Ciri is persecued by the Wild Hunt, the subject of the main story. And I bet that CDPR won't make of this "choice" a simply personal choice.

Till now we don't know how the possible choice between Triss or Yenn would influence to the main story, because, let's no forget, there's Ciri, Yen and Geralt's daugther, and Ciri is persecued by the Wild Hunt, the subject of the main story. And I bet that CDPR won't make of this "choice" a simply personal choice.
Agree. But, and this is a big but, Ciri is not a child anymore. If CDPR had chosen use a child-Ciri, I would agree that the infant character could have restricted Geralt for having a choice. But we dont know how adult Ciri will behave in TW3, and in fact she is one of the characters who should be more different from the books, just because this growning. Some core facts about her and her skills or feeling wont change of course (sure, she will love Yen and Geralt as parents, and Tris as a big sis, and so) but I bet writers have tried to develop her in some ways that maybe will surprise us, all-knowing twa... I mean, us, the readers.

Summing up, look after other reason Yenshippers, cause Ciri is no child anymore

PS (in more seriousness, Ciri could influence in the romance plot, but I dunno she will do it in that straightforward way; I admit even that it's possible, just not likely)

Child or not, she is the goal of the Wild Hunt, and Yen is more linked to her than Triss, I mean, depending how the Wild Hunt's plot develops the situation wouldn't be only in Geralt's hands and/or heart...

I mean, I've never seen this possible love choice as a simple "you or you" but something more complex linked with the main plot, not as a side decision

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom