The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ajiehb
Actually he does say "I love you" at least once, it was
on thanedd, the evening before the coup and before Geralt, Yen and Ciri got separated. Yen even tells him "I love you too" right afterwards.

‘These crabs,’ she cut in, ‘have been crawling at bottom of the sea this morning. Teleportation is a wonderful invention.’
‘Indeed.’ He agreed. ‘Worth making available for the public, don't you think?’
‘We're working on it. Make haste, I'm hungry.’
‘I love you, Yen.’
‘I asked you to spare me the ostentation...’ she stopped suddenly, jerked her head up, pulled her dark locks from her face and opened her violet eyes widely. ‘Geralt! This is the first time you've said it!’
‘Impossible. You're fooling with me.’
‘I'm not. Up until now you've only ever said in in your thoughts, never aloud.’
‘Does it make any difference?’
‘A huge one.’
‘Yen...’
‘Don' speak with full mouth. I love you too. See what I meant? Gods, you're about to choke to death! Raise your arms, I'll pat your back. Take a deep breath.’

None of them are perfect, they both made mistakes in their relationship because of pride and not thinking things through, about how words and actions might hurt. I wouldn't blame Geralt for everything, it's not like Yen has been the perfect girlfriend either.

Heh, this is why I said that CDPR have a very good opportunity to make something memorable with the romance aspect in TW3. There's so much backstory and interesting stuff going on.

@ StaGiors Once Borch Three Jackdaws have said that Yenna and Geralt are assigned to each other but he can't see them together :( that's the perfect description of their relationship. I disagree with you about Geralt and his behaviour. It was his fault and only his. He run away like coward and there is nothing that could justify him. He isn't afraid of most dangerous beast but couldn't face the woman he love.

@ HellKnightX88 Well, I didn't say that Yenna is perfect. I just pop up a few thing that people should know about her and not say that "she is heartless bitch and didn't care about Geralt".

My post was adressed to people who continue to blame Yenna. I wanted them to know that Geralt isn't perfect in their relationship.

Now for all who didn't read the books: it was Geralt who betrayed Yen and run away from her without any explanation leaving only letter in her bed. And then he was looking for her and was trying to redeem his fault. That's why Yenna has a right to be angry on him. But even if she was angry on him she can't stop loving him. Both Geralt and Yenna not once in a books say to each other "I love you". And even more Yenna last wish before she goes to a trap set by Vilgefortz was request to be justified before Gerald so he would know that she didn't betrayed him and didn't help neither Nilfgard or Vilgefortz. She knew that she may die and all she care about was Geralt. And you say Triss? Triss who was scared herself and her powers after Battle of Sodden Hill and was puppet of Lodge of Sorceresses? She is no match for Yenna. But only if you have read all the books. If not, well you can think what you want. I'm not going to change your opinion about Triss in game if you like her, very well. But don't even try to say that she is better than Yenna because you don't understand and don't know nothing about her. And yes for Geralt there is only Yenna. But when you will play the game it would be your choice not Geralt so you can do as you like :)

P.S. for those who thinks that Yenna didn't care about Geralt and didn't helped him just read the books more careful. Not one time she helped him but not directly because she know he will not accept her help. And it was in times when they weren't together. Even when she was angry on him she didn't stop helping him.
Would have been nice if you had put a SPOILER ALERT WARNING at the top for those of us that are reading the books.

Now for all who didn't read the books: it was Geralt who betrayed Yen and run away from her without any explanation leaving only letter in her bed. And then he was looking for her and was trying to redeem his fault. That's why Yenna has a right to be angry on him. But even if she was angry on him she can't stop loving him. Both Geralt and Yenna not once in a books say to each other "I love you". And even more Yenna last wish before she goes to a trap set by Vilgefortz was request to be justified before Gerald so he would know that she didn't betrayed him and didn't help neither Nilfgard or Vilgefortz. She knew that she may die and all she care about was Geralt. And you say Triss? Triss who was scared herself and her powers after Battle of Sodden Hill and was puppet of Lodge of Sorceresses? She is no match for Yenna. But only if you have read all the books. If not, well you can think what you want. I'm not going to change your opinion about Triss in game if you like her, very well. But don't even try to say that she is better than Yenna because you don't understand and don't know nothing about her. And yes for Geralt there is only Yenna. But when you will play the game it would be your choice not Geralt so you can do as you like :)

P.S. for those who thinks that Yenna didn't care about Geralt and didn't helped him just read the books more careful. Not one time she helped him but not directly because she know he will not accept her help. And it was in times when they weren't together. Even when she was angry on him she didn't stop helping him.
Can't agree more.

@ajiehb
Actually he does say "I love you" at least once, it was
on thanedd, the evening before the coup and before Geralt, Yen and Ciri got separated. Yen even tells him "I love you too" right afterwards.

‘These crabs,’ she cut in, ‘have been crawling at bottom of the sea this morning. Teleportation is a wonderful invention.’
‘Indeed.’ He agreed. ‘Worth making available for the public, don't you think?’
‘We're working on it. Make haste, I'm hungry.’
‘I love you, Yen.’
‘I asked you to spare me the ostentation...’ she stopped suddenly, jerked her head up, pulled her dark locks from her face and opened her violet eyes widely. ‘Geralt! This is the first time you've said it!’
‘Impossible. You're fooling with me.’
‘I'm not. Up until now you've only ever said in in your thoughts, never aloud.’
‘Does it make any difference?’
‘A huge one.’
‘Yen...’
‘Don' speak with full mouth. I love you too. See what I meant? Gods, you're about to choke to death! Raise your arms, I'll pat your back. Take a deep breath.’

None of them are perfect, they both made mistakes in their relationship because of pride and not thinking things through, about how words and actions might hurt. I wouldn't blame Geralt for everything, it's not like Yen has been the perfect girlfriend either.

Heh, this is why I said that CDPR have a very good opportunity to make something memorable with the romance aspect in TW3. There's so much backstory and interesting stuff going on.
I think it was a mistake, like he was going to say "not only once" (sorry if I correct you)
Anyway this is right: nobody is perfect, and all the rage against Yennefer because she cheated on Geralt that time (yes it was painful, yes I hated her in that short story) and because she is a "bitch" only because she's a strong woman with a strong will capable of saying a lot of things to Geralt, capable of not being a puppet for anyone, because when a person need her, she is always there.
Simple example: she saved a young woman from abortion when she was in Skellige.

Last edited:
can't disagree more I have read three books (out of five) and I still think Triss is better than Yennefer
Why? I just like her more thats it, Yennefer isn't bad but I prefer Triss (in terms of appereance, character etc.) whats wrong with that?
Correction in your post: For book Geralt and your Geralt there is only Yennefer
for my Geralt there is only Triss
I appreciate your effort in this post but sometimes book fans like you just annoy me with stuff like this
I like Triss much more than Yennefer but do you see me posting around telling folks who like Yennefer that their opinion is wrong?
Jesus
You're not alone.
I've never liked Yennefer, and I've always thought she did not deserve Geralt or Ciri.
People say that Yen helped Geralt , and made sacrifices for him. So what ? So did Triss !!!!
She forced the WItchers to follow the hunt the day Geralt reappeared, otherwise he'd be dead. Triss healed him after they found him. Out of all his friends Triss stuck with Geralt and nurtured him when he had lost his memory. Triss saved Geralt after his defeat by Javed in the swamps. Triss hid the fact that the assassin was a Witcher in order to protect Geralt. Triss lost her political career and influence plus her house in Vizima, because of Geralt's mistake and inability to protect Foltest. Triss stood by him, and did not deny their relationship in order to save her own ass. Triss protected Geralt from Elven arrows, and nearly died in the process. Triss kept warning Geralt about Sile' and Letho, but Geralt's ego blinded him. Triss tried to confront Sile' to make sure Geralt doesn't get hurt, and then again because of Geralt's mistakes she was kidnapped by Letho. Triss was then turned into a statue, and tortured.
And at the end of all this, she still loved Geralt.
Right now I'm seriously considering Triss to be Geralt's choice, but The Witcher 3 might change my mind. No one knows.

I don't know Triss basically was the "only" geralts friend after the Hunt only because she found out first. Dandellion and Zoltan and some other people had no qualms about helping him when they found he's alive. Again I still don't understand how could CDPR just skip the conversation on the boat between Triss and Geralt about his past and Yennefer, it's not something easily skipped on the side.

Last edited:
Moderator:

Do not force your opinions on others, if you want your posts to remain on the forum.

Do not pretend others are forcing their opinions on you, if you want your posts to remain on the forum.

Do not retaliate even if you believe you have the right to do so; you do not.

Posts will be deleted.

So, late to the discussion and all that, but thought I'd add my opinion, hopefully its not parroting someone that I haven't read. With that said, I haven't read the books (although I do intend to, blame the games for getting me interested I suppose), and have only gotten the synopsis of events from the witcher wiki and some stuff in this thread. And, even though I did pick Triss over Shani in the first game (mostly because I think a sorcerer/sorceress should help mentor a natural channeler of magic), I don't think there should be a choice for who Geralt chooses to be with. If there is to be any choice, I think it should be if he has feelings for Triss at all, although that still won't diminish his feelings or desire to be with Yennifer.

I say this mostly because my favorite aspect of Witcher 2 was seeing more of the person who Geralt was coming through in his character, rather than being shaped by player decisions. I like the amnesia plot device mostly as a method for introducing us to the world and to Geralt, not as an excuse to decide his new personality or his feelings. I'm also going to go on record to state that I'm not even going to make it about who's better, Triss or Yennifer, as that's not the point of it for me. For me, the Witcher RPGs is not about shaping your own protagonist, its more an interactive story about a particular character, with relationships and feelings of his own (or at least, this is how I feel after Witcher 2, and eagerly hope for the same with Witcher 3).

As for introducing Yennefer herself, I feel we should come across her early, while she's still suffering from amnesia (either wholly or partially). I think the journey should not be so much of 'getting to Yennefer' as 'finding her', or rather, helping her rediscover her own memories and feelings with Geralt helping to guide her along. I think the pair of them going across locations they've shared in the past, introducing a cut scene or flash back sequence where you play either of them and see the situation with your own eyes, would be a fantastic way to do that, and help people going into the games without reading the book the chance to experience Yennefer's progression in collapsed time by seeing it through her eyes (as she remembers them).

As for Triss... My thought is that she didn't initiate the relationship out of any malice or selfishness, the first sex scene was after all after that rather close battle and injury - she may have have just had a rush of emotions that got the better of her then, and afterwards rather than backing off, she continued to pursue them. Although I don't think she's entirely innocent. Its stated from quite a few sources that (of varying levels of credibility, its likely Philipia was being mostly straight, given the situation, but she clearly omitted or changed some things, such as not having to stab Saskia in the heart with the dagger), that Triss is hiding something from Geralt. I think this is more than likely the fact that she knew that Yennefer was alive this entire time and in Nilfgaard. Yenn would have been in the Empire for four years, even if she was in hiding with Letho and his friends, and I think the Lodge would know she was there then, or especially after she was captured by the Empire (which happened at least a few months before the start of Witcher 2, perhaps even before Geralt reappeared). Especially because of Sile's words, "I think you've waited long enough, Witcher. You'll find Yennefer to the south."

In my opinion, I think Triss was the one who asked Geralt to not be told about Yenneffer. It could be she thought Geralt would charge directly into the Empire and likely die or be captured if he found out, and she was hoping to find an opportunity to rescue her without risking Geralt when an opportunity presented itself later, or wait until he was fully recovered from returning. It could also be likely that she had more malice to her intentions there, but I think that's more something she would feel guilty about believing she was really not telling Geralt for selfish reasons.

As for Yennefer... I think its likely the Emperor is intending to use her just as the Wild Hunt did, a bargaining chip to be used to manipulate Geralt for the ultimate purpose of getting Ciri. I wouldn't be surprised if Witcher 3 begins with Geralt practically striding towards him to get Yennefer back, and be told he must retrieve Ciri for her release (in whatever level of subtly). And as for why she wasn't in the first two games... Well, perhaps they wanted us to first discover the world the series takes place in (Witcher 1), then they wanted us to discover Geralt's character (Witcher 2), now they're allowing us to discover Geralt's past and his relationship with Yennfer. Or at least, that's my perspective, for what its worth.

Nope. Geralt *wasn't* with Yennefer, they were estranged, and Triss used magic to sneak a 'go' on Geralt.

This predates the start of the Saga proper ~ where Triss is ...um... rather keen, to have another go and Geralt ignores this approach, being preoccupied with Ciri. He subsequently cares for her while ill, but they are never again "together".
I recall other offers in the saga books (Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, Tower of The Swallow, but only two other people he had sex with, in a limited number of occassions ~ Shani in Oxenfurt, and a different sorceress, again with magic, both from the location and personal use...). Triss was never again within the books and was roundly put in her place several times by Yennefer.

There were a few more occassions within the two books of short stories, but Geralt's character changes over the course of the decade or so we know him, and Yennefer is a major part of that restructuring...
even to the point of significant decisions about purpose.

With this in mind, Triss's neediness and 'recapturing' of someone who clearly wanted other things is ... bordering on the creepy. Especially since she continues to lie and use Geralt. I don't trust Triss - she is probably a "good guy", but I know she lies for her own interests, manipulates Geralt for the purposes of her own and is deliberately selective about what Geralt "needs to know".

If it comes to a direct choice... I'd throw Triss under a bus for Yennefer and Ciri... I usually took the magic resistance perk in TW2. Just saying.

Nope. Geralt *wasn't* with Yennefer, they were estranged, and Triss used magic to sneak a 'go' on Geralt.

This predates the start of the Saga proper ~ where Triss is ...um... rather keen, to have another go and Geralt ignores this approach, being preoccupied with Ciri. He subsequently cares for her while ill, but they are never again "together".
I recall other offers in the saga books (Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, Tower of The Swallow, but only two other people he had sex with, in a limited number of occassions ~ Shani in Oxenfurt, and a different sorceress, again with magic, both from the location and personal use...). Triss was never again within the books and was roundly put in her place several times by Yennefer.

There were a few more occassions within the two books of short stories, but Geralt's character changes over the course of the decade or so we know him, and Yennefer is a major part of that restructuring...
even to the point of significant decisions about purpose.

With this in mind, Triss's neediness and 'recapturing' of someone who clearly wanted other things is ... bordering on the creepy. Especially since she continues to lie and use Geralt. I don't trust Triss - she is probably a "good guy", but I know she lies for her own interests, manipulates Geralt for the purposes of her own and is deliberately selective about what Geralt "needs to know".

If it comes to a direct choice... I'd throw Triss under a bus for Yennefer and Ciri... I usually took the magic resistance perk in TW2. Just saying.
Doesn't change the fact that Geralt and Triss were attracted to each other before the games. Unless you're saying that Triss raped Geralt.
And it doesn't matter if Geralt and Yen were estranged, he still slept with Triss. I did not say he cheated on Yen with Triss. I said he had sex with Triss when he was "with" Yen, and My understanding is that Geralt and Yen were taking a break from each other. Why I say Geralt slept with Triss, when he was "with" Yen ? because Yen was angry and confronted Triss about this incident, so it tells you that Yen did not expect Geralt to sleep with Triss while they were "estranged". If it was like you say, Yen would be like yeah it's nothing cause we were "estranged". It's yet another reason that I think Yen is a selfish character, because she had sex with others when she was with Geralt.
It shows that the relationship between Geralt and Yennefer was and is a dysfunctional relationship to begin with.
And Geralt's relationship with Yen or Triss has nothing to do with his relationship with Ciri. It's not like you'll have to throw Yen or Triss under the bus for Ciri. If it comes down to it, it's none of Ciri's business who Geralt sleeps with. And as Geralt I would confront Ciri, if she tries to meddle in these affairs.
Geralt never seriously told Triss off, or confronted her in a serious manner.
And manipulation and lying is part of being a sorceress. Yen did it and Triss does it too. So at the end of the day, I wouldn't trust any sorceress.

Last edited:
[...]but only two other people he had sex with, in a limited number of occassions ~ Shani in Oxenfurt, and a different sorceress[...]
Fringilla Vigo IIRC.

OT:All this back and forth between Yennefer and Triss just makes me want to choose neither.If it's an option in game (although I doubt it) I would choose to just get on Roach and ride into the sunset with Ciri.

Yes it was. I was 'hedging' it a bit
to avoid spoilery stuff.

Funnily, I misread/miscued your closing comment as "to get on Roche and ride into the sunset with Ciri".

^I'd imagine it wouldn't be a comfortable ride although for whom it depends on the context......What an odd threesome they would make...
Damn it...now I won't be able to look at Roche the same ever again."Thank you" Lieste!

That reminds me of something. Could the frequent sexual encounters in the Witcher games compared to his depiction in the books ultimately be Triss' fault? I mean, the first female he had to base relationships off of when he had amnesia, and how did she reward him for helping her out... *Cough*

Doesn't change the fact that Geralt and Triss were attracted to each other before the games. Unless you're saying that Triss raped Geralt.
And it doesn't matter if Geralt and Yen were estranged, he still slept with Triss. I did not say he cheated on Yen with Triss. I said he had sex with Triss when he was "with" Yen, and My understanding is that Geralt and Yen were taking a break from each other. Why I say Geralt slept with Triss, when he was "with" Yen ? because Yen was angry and confronted Triss about this incident, so it tells you that Yen did not expect Geralt to sleep with Triss while they were "estranged". If it was like you say, Yen would be like yeah it's nothing cause we were "estranged". It's yet another reason that I think Yen is a selfish character, because she had sex with others when she was with Geralt.
It shows that the relationship between Geralt and Yennefer was and is a dysfunctional relationship to begin with.
And Geralt's relationship with Yen or Triss has nothing to do with his relationship with Ciri. It's not like you'll have to throw Yen or Triss under the bus for Ciri. If it comes down to it, it's none of Ciri's business who Geralt sleeps with. And as Geralt I would confront Ciri, if she tries to meddle in these affairs.
Geralt never seriously told Triss off, or confronted her in a serious manner.
And manipulation and lying is part of being a sorceress. Yen did it and Triss does it too. So at the end of the day, I wouldn't trust any sorceress.

Let me remind you that Triss was a best friend of Yenna in first time before she have sex with Geralt. And that is the main reason why Yenna was so angry at Triss. You didn't expect you best friend to sleep with you man even when you take a break in your realationship. And Geralt never seriously told Triss off because she is also his friend but he made it clear the he will not sleep with her anymore. But of course all this was in books in games we have new reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom