The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Triss act in the books though? I always thought she was one of those girls who got jealous but once she has the guy she'll start to lose interest.
In the games, she 100% isn't.

Nice avatar btw xd
I have
I've accepted that when he had amnesia in W2 he could has some romantic feelings with Triss , but now he knows Yen is back and soon they could reunite , why those cutscenes in spoiler movie I've seen in that light house ? I'm disappointed

The matter is way more complicated than this. Now i know in the books
Yennefer is Geralt's one true love, his fated love, that they have a daughter together, etc.
but we can't play the third game in a game series and forget all about the first two chapters of it, that also happen to take place after the books and obviously before the third chapter. And during the first two games the main love interest is only one: Triss Merigold. Sure you could bang other girls but who are we kidding, it's all about Triss. She and Geralt went through a lot together, they cared for each other, shared a lot and literally went to hell and back for each other (Triss even "sabotaged" herself by helping him regain his memories of Yennefer, but that's the kind of stuff you do when you're in love with someone, so this alone should tell you a lot, but there are many other events to consider). So, after all this, it would be absurd if they didn't have powerful feelings for each other. Even the game (Witcher 3) tells you how powerful these feelings are, in many ways, but i'll let you discover that. I'd also like to point out that (little books spoiler)
Geralt did say to Yen that he loved her and she said it back
so it's not that strange that the developers gave you the choice to
tell Triss you love her.
Also in The Witcher games WE are Geralt, we should have the last word in saying which girl we like more. And when we choose we can't forget what happened in the first two games, what happened from the last time Geralt saw Yennefer til the moment he meets her again. I think CDP Red did a great job in developing Geralt and Triss story, and in making you care about her. There's plenty of people who played the games and never read the books, so Yen means nothing to them. For them and for all those who prefer Triss, giving you the option to choose her and
making Geralt say that he loves her
it's not that strange or forced, it actually makes perfect sense on so many levels that would've been absurd to do the opposite because of the books, that happened before the games and that many people never read. Now i'm not saying that Geralt loves Triss more, because i don't think that's the case. All i'm saying is that this choice makes sense and wouldn't make sense to deny it to people who prefer Triss. Other people who want to follow a storyline more akin to the books and want to give a different context to Geralt and Triss story are perfectly able to do that, by choosing Yen. That's the beauty of having different choices.

PS: about the lighthouse
i was disappointed too because i hoped they fucked on a proper bed lol

Last edited:
@mods . please retitle this thread. i have not read it, but the title is kind of.. i mean.. from the title, i can only imagine that one dies, or you need to choose to romance one, and I don't want to know that. this is the spoiler free forum

oh.. nvm.. this thread is from 2013 lol

I have
I've accepted that when he had amnesia in W2 he could has some romantic feelings with Triss , but now he knows Yen is back and soon they could reunite , why those cutscenes in spoiler movie I've seen in that light house ? I'm disappointed

What annoys me about the amnesia is that if a man took advantage of a woman´s amnesia to sleep with her the ****storm would be huge, and with reason. But Triss doing it is OK?

What annoys me about the amnesia is that if a man took advantage of a woman´s amnesia to sleep with her the ****storm would be huge, and with reason. But Triss doing it is OK?

Well she even jokes about it, and Geralt starts loving her regardless. So...

Your girlfriend´s so called best friend, who left her hanging when she needed her help, allowed you to believe she had betrayed you, and has taken advantage of your amnesia to sleep with you. Someone at CDP really shipped Geralt-Triss, because that´s one hell of a shilling they´ve done to her in 1 and 2.

@mods . please retitle this thread. i have not read it, but the title is kind of.. i mean.. from the title, i can only imagine that one dies, or you need to choose to romance one, and I don't want to know that. this is the spoiler free forum

oh.. nvm.. this thread is from 2013 lol

This thread is so old, Witcher 3 wasn't even announced back then, i believe at least so :D

Your girlfriend´s so called best friend, who left her hanging when she needed her help, allowed you to believe she had betrayed you, and has taken advantage of your amnesia to sleep with you. Someone at CDP really shipped Geralt-Triss, because that´s one hell of a shilling they´ve done to her in 1 and 2.

And now people complain that this happened in Witcher 3 again, but this time it is Yennefer, who gets the better/best treatment.

Not saying that it is fair, but i sense a little bit of justice :sofa:

It's hardly someone disturbing a happily-ever-after love.

Yennefer = Accepting the fate of her love and all it entails.

Triss = Geralt deciding to choose his destiny.

Unless Yennefer miraculously changes late in the game, I only see her making the same mistakes with people she's had in the past. Geralt and Triss both blossomed into people capable of growth and unconditional positive regard towards those they hold dear.

It pains me to say this because I really do like Yennefer for who she is, and can tolerate people like her in real life. Geralt, however, lacks the right responses to her provocations, turning brushfires into a roaring blaze.

Does Geralt even get to confront her about this? Because Triss comes across as sweet and innocent, even though she can be a sneaky bitch at times. She took advantage of Geralts mental state, and it wasn’t her first time doing so either. She also didn’t seem too broken up over Yen’s absence. I remember an interview, while the game was still in development, where a dev (I’m pretty sure it was Konrad) acknowledges that Triss has been betraying you/dishonest. This gave me the impression that Geralt would be able to confront her.

I am glad that, at least, she knows her place. She was okay with the idea of Geralt getting back with Yen once his memory returned because she knows she is the interloper. And the affection Geralt can show Triss in the first 2 games doesn’t compare to the deep love Geralt has felt for Yennefer for 15+ years.

Does Geralt even get to confront her about this?.... I remember an interview, while the game was still in development, where a dev (I’m pretty sure it was Konrad) acknowledges that Triss has been betraying you/dishonest. This gave me the impression that Geralt would be able to confront her.
At the end of Witcher 2 you can confront Triss if you choose to rescue her. She says she was being manipulated by the Lodge, and you can choose to believe her or not. I do wish they re-visited this conversation in W3.

It's hardly someone disturbing a happily-ever-after love.

Yennefer = Accepting the fate of her love and all it entails.

Triss = Geralt deciding to choose his destiny.

Unless Yennefer miraculously changes late in the game, I only see her making the same mistakes with people she's had in the past. Geralt and Triss both blossomed into people capable of growth and unconditional positive regard towards those they hold dear.

It pains me to say this because I really do like Yennefer for who she is, and can tolerate people like her in real life. Geralt, however, lacks the right responses to her provocations, turning brushfires into a roaring blaze.
Great post.

Does Geralt even get to confront her about this? Because Triss comes across as sweet and innocent, even though she can be a sneaky bitch at times. She took advantage of Geralts mental state, and it wasn’t her first time doing so either. She also didn’t seem too broken up over Yen’s absence. I remember an interview, while the game was still in development, where a dev (I’m pretty sure it was Konrad) acknowledges that Triss has been betraying you/dishonest. This gave me the impression that Geralt would be able to confront her.

I am glad that, at least, she knows her place. She was okay with the idea of Geralt getting back with Yen once his memory returned because she knows she is the interloper. And the affection Geralt can show Triss in the first 2 games doesn’t compare to the deep love Geralt has felt for Yennefer for 15+ years.
It's not that simple. And yes, Triss took advantage of him at first, but then she really starts loving him (and viceversa) and even helps him regaining his memories about Yennefer. Like i said before, that should tell you a lot about how their relationship changed.
At the end of Witcher 2 you can confront Triss if you choose to rescue her. She says she was being manipulated by the Lodge, and you can choose to believe her or not. I do wish they re-visited this conversation in W3.
She was.

Yeah, I remember Geralt being able to confront her about some things after rescuing her in W2. I wondered if in the 3rd game Geralt has anything to say about the his relationship with Triss during his memory loss. I know that while they are in Novigrad she mentions that she took advantage of him, but it's in jest.

@Ccara

It may not have been in jest.

I interpreted it as shamelessly admitting to it.

She's changed to being more assertive of her own interests during the games.

Still... while I will stick with Triss for this playthrough, CDPR doesn't make it easy. I mean, Yen even get's a love song for Pete's sake! Not cool... ;)

I've always been "Team Yen", but Triss managed to yank my heart strings, so it's 2 playthroughs at least. Going through The Last Wish romancing Yen, I must therefor take back what I've said about Yennefer in TW3; perhaps it was premature.

I'm glad to see they've allowed her to develop beyond the books, and while I still argue Triss is a better soul mate for the game canon Geralt, TW3 Yen's equally found a way into my heart.

The Triss arc...I am confident will be improved, and while brief, it manages to do for Triss what seven books did for Yen.

Never did I expect to adore the 'fourteenth in such a way.

Thanks CDPR for all the laughs, tears, and mirth only you could create in a game.

Last edited:
Yes, Triss was really great (and that dress at the ball :drool: ), and it was really really difficult to not say... what you know ;) I really did like what Geralt said at this point
that he would never forget what they had together and will cherish those memories forever, basically what I would have said in the situation I guess
, even though her sadness was apparent and I felt a tiny wetness in my eyes...

Now I just adore how they nailed the relationship with Yen. All the banter, jests, sarcasms, you can really feel the complicity between those two. Great work CDPR!

Haven't played the game yet but unfortunately I ran into a spoiler (regarding the romances) on youtube... I don't know where else I should ask because haven't been reading much lately. Anyway, I am using a spoiler tag so if you haven't played/finished the game yet do not read it! Really, only those who played TW3 should read it!

So I have a question about Triss...
Here's the video that I (unfortunately) watched. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxwTGzy0OQ
I guess this shows their first meeting and at the end we can see her final love scene. Wish I hadn't seen that but now cannot do anything. I don't want to know more spoilers (nor details) my only question is that will Geralt meet her later in the game? (You can answer me in one word.) Just someone reassure me please that I didn't totally ruin my game experience (I mean regarding the romance). By the way, I haven't seen more scenes with her only that video so I don't know anything else.

Haven't played the game yet but unfortunately I ran into a spoiler (regarding the romances) on youtube... I don't know where else I should ask because haven't been reading much lately. Anyway, I am using a spoiler tag so if you haven't played/finished the game yet do not read it! Really, only those who played TW3 should read it!

So I have a question about Triss...
Here's the video that I (unfortunately) watched. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxwTGzy0OQ
I guess this shows their first meeting and at the end we can see her final love scene. Wish I hadn't seen that but now cannot do anything. I don't want to know more spoilers (nor details) my only question is that will Geralt meet her later in the game? (You can answer me in one word.) Just someone reassure me please that I didn't totally ruin my game experience (I mean regarding the romance). By the way, I haven't seen more scenes with her only that video so I don't know anything else.

Yes

My first playthrough I chose yenn because that seemed the destined choice but part of my problem with her is literally no one( including me actually) likes her and she stomps on literally everyone's garden so to speak. I thought she would be a strong opinionated woman with an asserbic sense of humor like my deceased wife but what I got was Morgan Ley fay who just happens to be on your side. Fascinating and compelling, dangerous and useful but not my true love.

I have finished The Last Wish, the quest not the book, twice now. and I don't like either dialogue choice.

The first choice is a lie. I don't love her. The second one is a lie as well, I don't feel different because of the spell the Djin removed. I want to tell Yeneffer that I don't love her, not because of a spell, but because I fell in love with another woman, that she will always hold a special place in my heart, and I will always treasure the moments we spent together, but that my heart now belongs to Triss.

The game lets us see there's just too much history between these two for me to care enough to be honest with Yennefer. I believe the dialogue choices I'm given at that point don't accurately represent how I feel. Is there any other way to resolve this? If I choose to tell her I still love her, will I be able to tell her the truth later on, and then give her the right reasons for my choice? Will it affect my relationship with Triss?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom