+

Their own story or a conclusion to the books [SPOILERS]

• I'm happy that it was a about a conclusion to the books

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I would have preferred they made a true sequel to W2

Votes: 36 66.7%

• Total voters
Their own story or a conclusion to the books [SPOILERS]

I'm writing this as I wait for W2 to download. It is true what they, that the grass always seem greener in the other side of the fence. So I'm going to cross that fence and see if it holds true.

There is no question that in terms of graphics, size, mechanics, side quests, minigames, W3 towers over W2.

Yet when comparing the main story, I can't shake this feeling that W2 was better in this regard. It's been a while so I'm going to play it again to check.
From what I gather, the plot of W2 was their entire creation, while W3 main theme was mainly a conclusion to the books.

While I was never really into that particular topic, since I never actually finished them, I do think they deserve their place. Yet they could have dealt with that stuff in Act 1 so to speak and then focus on the heart of the matter, which is the political situation, scoitel and the lodge.

As others have stated the political situation was extremely lacking, the fate of the entire world relied on one sidequest, fifteen minutes of gameplay, and the choice of whether you accepted it or not and what you did at the end of it.

What I would have wanted was for them to go their own way, and do a true sequel to the W2, with the political intrigue, and who got control of Novigrad at the center of the stage.

They could have tied the romance options here as well, with Triss and Sigi on the side of the north and Yennefer and the emperor on the other. The criminal underground and the church a far bigger factor too. And from there, make two different paths (on the same map this time), like W2 and maybe add subfactions within them.

All of this is moot in a sense, the game is already as it is. This is mainly so the devs know what we prefer for the future, both for new content to the Witcher 3 and future games.

Honestly, I think they did a pretty good job for a simple fact.

The war with Nilfgaard is not something that Geralt cares about.

I liked that twist.

All of the politics of Witcher 2 play little role once Geralt steps out of them because he's about the common people, not which jerkass wears the crown.

I truly had more enjoyment from TW2 than TW3 per hour played, but this could change.

The storytelling was simply better in TW2 because the plot wasn't nearly as predictable.

On this note, I'd have preferred TW3 had followed TW2's plot, though if any of the expansions tie into TW2's plot I'd be content.

Have to say that I've been tempted to go back and play 2 myself. I may just have to boot it up and give it another go, it's definitely been a while. For some reason, instead of wanting to jump into a replay of 3, I found myself wanting to go back and play 2 before I return to the Wild Hunt. Glad to know I'm not alone in this...

I am a simple man.

Release a Redux of Witcher 1 and Witcher 2, with better graphics and making the games more Witcher 3 and book-friendly. (WE CAN HAVE OUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!!!)
I buy.

Make EE for Witcher 3.
And I buy again for new box cause I am insane.

Make me happy.

The problem of the Witcher 3 is the entire third Act, and the pointless, inconsistence White Frost and Ciri's power.
And what I don't like is that in the game the fact that all persued Ciri in order to have a child from her is never mentioned.

The Witcher 2 has a more complex, mature, plot and one of the best villain ever.
Eredin can bow to Letho.

Witcher 3 is neither a true sequel to TW2 nor is a true sequel to the books imho.

So I can't decide for one option here.

---------- Updated at 12:10 PM ----------

The problem of the Witcher 3 is the entire third Act, and the pointless, inconsistence White Frost and Ciri's power.
And what I don't like is that in the game the fact that all persued Ciri in order to have a child from her is never mentioned..

Yepp. I've said quite a lot of things on that topic here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-spoilers!!!?p=1761767&viewfull=1#post1761767

The games are their own cannon that takes place after the books...

Is it really that hard people...

The thing to remember is that a good story is a good story regardless if it is canon or not. It certainly shouldn't make the story look inferior.

The thing to remember is that a good story is a good story regardless if it is canon or not. It certainly shouldn't make the story look inferior.

The thing is...

It is cannon. It is an official storyline. It does not matter what Sapkowski says, he is not a leader at CDPR nor a Game Designer. The IP is not only his...

people would do well to remember that.

The thing is...

It is cannon. It is an official storyline. It does not matter what Sapkowski says, he is not a leader at CDPR nor a Game Designer. The IP is not only his...

I absolutely agree, if the player treats this game as canon separate from the books then who is going to act like they are wrong?, canon is just there for continuity sake (and for people to argue about it seems), the games are based off the canon from the books, but they are a separate story that Sapkowski is not an author of, he created the world of the Witcher but didn't create this story and like i said a good story will remain a good story. Kotor for instance isn't canon to the star wars movies but it is a separate story that many prefer over the movies, it is all a matter of opinion (of course some will disagree with that statement but that is their choice to believe it or not).

The thing is...

Ahem, maybe we have different definitions of what "canon" means. I don't think that the games can be called canon in any way. And it matters very much what Sapkowski says since he indeed owns the IP. CDPR just licensed the right for the franchise, they don't own it. Big difference.

I think The Witcher series of video-games is an alternate universe to the book series and a more "happy" ending to them given the general nihilistic downer which the series ended on. Sapkowski, himself, has backed away from it in recent years so one might argue that it's nothing more than licensed fanfic but it's very-very GOOD licensed fanfic so it's worth considering as literature (albeit pixellated literature) in its own right.

The problem with that is that the games are somewhat constricted by Sapkowski's narrative in that a lot of storyline beats from the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt are drawn from the books so that you need familiarity with them in order to fully understand the weight of your decisions. Take, for instance, robbing Erimond. Most non-book readers will assume this is just robbing a random Druid for the good of your daughter.

Then you discover that, no, Erimond is a close and personal family friend who loves Ciri like a daughter. It's like robbing Alfred to rescue Robin.
I think The Witcher 3 was necessary as a way to wrap up the books, in some respect, as the outstanding plot of the White Frost kind of loomed over the setting like a millstone. Who cares who wins the War in AOK2 because everyone will be dead in three generations. Likewise, Ciri is a character who should be the single most important person in Geralt's life but we've never met her.

So, yes, it's absolutely a way of wrapping up the outstanding beats of the books.

As for AOK2, I think it does a great job as a sequel too, but the problem is a lot of people assumed that the focus on politics would continue--when the games shifted gears to make politics irrelavnt. That's a shift of focus, not change of kind.

---------- Updated at 11:32 AM ----------

Ahem, maybe we have different definitions of what "canon" means. I don't think that the games can be called canon in any way. And it matters very much what Sapkowski says since he indeed owns the IP. CDPR just licensed the right for the franchise, they don't own it. Big difference.

Canon is irrelevant since it's a term which applies to the Catholic Church and Catholic Church alone as, "What we currently believe is the inerrent truth of God."

Canon cannot apply to fiction since fiction is, by definition, untruthful where the definition of canon is, "This is the true story."

So it's silly to say that the Witcher games can't be canon because Geralt of Rivia doesn't exist on this world.

Fan fiction, no matter how good, cant be cannon. An IP holder or one with license can make it cannon.

CDPR hold IP rights. They also have professional writers on the job. What they are doing is cannon.

There are two cannons if you want to be "ultra correct":

Sapkowski's books

Sapkowski's books + games

Same way GoT is cannon. Except that is actual remediation taking place, so it is a different but similar universe to ASOIAF.
Same with Metro (books and games).

Kotor for instance isn't canon to the star wars movies but it is a separate story that many prefer over the movies, it is all a matter of opinion (of course some will disagree with that statement but that is their choice to believe it or not).

KOTOR 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Star Wars movies.

Also value has nothing to do with IP ownership.

Does it really matter that George Lucas sold Star Wars?

Does that suddenly make Disney THE greatest experts on Star Wars ever?

Top Bottom