There's an allusion to Geralt in the Dragon Age Expansion Pack

+
There's an allusion to Geralt in the Dragon Age Expansion Pack

I got Awakenings, the expansion pack for Dragon Age: Origins last night, and I've played it for a few hours. There's some sort of plot against me, and I'm told that someone named the Dark Wolf might be able to gather more information.At this point, I didn't think anything of it; "Dark Wolf" is a fairly generic fantasy name and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the White Wolf we all know and love.But then this afternoon I was given a message by someone who said that it had been given to her by this Wolf guy, only now I have a little more information about him. He's Wolf of Rivain. "Rivain," not "Rivian," but I think we're out of the realm of coincidence. :DNice that the Bioware guys want to tip their hat to Geralt (and CDPR). I can't wait to meet this Dark Wolf guy. I wonder if he has any interesting scars? ;D

Oh sounds like fun i didnt know that since i didnt chossed that option as it seemed as not best one i went with option of discovering rebellion in time.But is very possible i did read several interviews from Bioware guys where they mentioned that they are also gamers and that they admire some of games from other companys.

Daerdin said:
Especially that TW1 was made using BioWare's old Aurora Engine ;)
Yes. In a small way, Bioware was midwife to The Witcher. So it makes me happy when I hear about CDPR folks playing Bioware's games or Bioware folks playing CDPR's.
Agreed that heavily modified, but still.
VERY heavily modified! I think everybody was surprised at what CDPR managed to get out of the Aurora engine, probably even Bioware. :hmmm: I'm not surprised that CDPR is making its own engine for TW2. Given what you guys managed to wring out of the Aurora engine, there's an engine genius somewhere in Poland! ;)

When I first got that particular quest, it was one of the firsts I did. Yep, he's Wolf of Rivain, which I immediately pointed out to my husband. Finished the quest (with the Dark Wolf part) in about five minutes cause I wanted to see what this Dark Wolf looked like. :D

I can see the reference, but if you've done all the side quests in Origins, you will know that the "actual" dark wolf is you, and the other guy is an imposter. I wont' say more without spoiling anything.

chaosapiant said:
I can see the reference, but if you've done all the side quests in Origins, you will know that the "actual" dark wolf is you, and the other guy is an imposter. I wont' say more without spoiling anything.
Huh? It must depend on which choices you make, because I've finished the game, and in the version I played, I wasn't the actual Dark Wolf. Fascinating.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
Huh? It must depend on which choices you make, because I've finished the game, and in the version I played, I wasn't the actual Dark Wolf. Fascinating.
Again, I don't want to spoil anything, but if you play as a rogue, do all the Slim Couldry quests in Denerim. You'll see.

And how do you liked the expansion altogether, Cory? I just watched a friend playing for some hours, and it felt that they focussed more on the combat and less in the story development and hevy moral issues. Also, they got rid of the better, more complex characters, from my taste (Alistair, Morrigan. Leliana) and added some cartoons (Anders, Oghren-infamous comeback-). I'd certainly not going to buy it, maybe trade for it... But I wanted to hear a professional opinion ::)

Jackinthegreen said:
And how do you liked the expansion altogether, Cory? I just watched a friend playing for some hours, and it felt that they focussed more on the combat and less in the story development and hevy moral issues. Also, they got rid of the better, more complex characters, from my taste (Alistair, Morrigan. Leliana) and added some cartoons (Anders, Oghren-infamous comeback-). I'd certainly not going to buy it, maybe trade for it... But I wanted to hear a professional opinion ::)
Well, I'm no professional, but I make up for that by being extra opinionated. ;DI agree with your assessment. There was more combat, less story, less character development, and fewer moral issues. The choices one had to make this time around seemed to be about logistics, rather than having any interesting moral components.I enjoyed having Oghren around -- he's simple comic relief -- but I really missed Alistair. And while I couldn't have been said to like Morrigan, she was an interesting character ... and could any of us say that we'd have been a better human being if we'd been raised by Flemeth? *shudder* Anders, the amoral mage for this adventure, was a lot less interesting than Morrigan.I also felt that combat was repetitive and often present only to increase the number of hours of gameplay that they could write on the box. Kill two Hurlocks, two Genlocks, one Genlock Emissary and one Hurlock Alpha. Walk ten paces. Kill two Hurlocks, two Genlocks, one Genlock Emissary and one Hurlock Alpha. Walk another ten paces. Kill two Hurlocks, two Genlocks, one Genlock Emissary and one Hurlock Alpha. I'm sorry, but that's boring.There were a couple of interesting ideas and a couple of cool moments. It wasn't a total loss. I'll probably even play it again, to see how things work out if one decides a different way. But it seemed as if the magic-to-slog ratio was low.There were no romances, and the impact of the decisions one made in the first game was extremely small. The whole thing felt rushed. I'd rather wait six months for the first expansion pack and get one with substance than get one after only four months and have it be just adequate.

Jackinthegreen said:
You seem to have a lot time to spare. :D
I'm unemployed, partially disabled, and have spent the last year of my life modding The Witcher. (You might want to be careful, making comments like that. You never know what people's situation is.... :p)

Top Bottom