They did Evelyn Dirty [Spoilers]

+
Wow, I expected some closure but the character was just killed off. WTF?
A lot of good characters get killed off since they're no longer needed. What happened? Even Witcher games didn't have such issue.
There should have been at least a secret way to keep character alive, maybe dependent on your LivePath to have that play some part.

For example, when you receive the phone call from Judy, you have 30 minutes in game time to arrive to the scene, Then you need Technical Ability at 18, Intelligence at 18 and be a corpo for example. Also reading a datashard on surgery beforehand, like in Witcher 1 you needed to read the book about Zerrikanian Insects to succesfuly complete an autopsy. Same could have been done here. Read a datashard on surgery, high technical and intelligence to perform field surgery, corpo because he saw a field surgeon do surgery in Mexican incident. In terms of story, you it'll allow some relationship with Evelyn and Judy. Maybe even serve as a perquisite for romance for Male V.
Maybe even have Evelyn have some brain damage due to lack of oxygen for some time, so she requires monitoring and allows Judy to call you to look after Evelyn while she's away.

This secret or tough solutions could be also applied to Dex, T-bug and Jackie. Jackie for example would require high body and technical ability, would reward players who did side missions first to level up, to apply the tourniquet to his torso, it will have a side affect of you needing to carry Jackie as his legs would become numb with no blood flow. So it'll be extra tough for you to complete.

Sorry for the rant but it feels like lots of character just tossed aside for no improvement in storytelling.

Yea i kinda though that too. We are allways to late to help her nomatter what you do. Noticed thats a common theme in this game. Jackies fate is also sealed. Then i learned that 98% of decitions makes no differance what so ever.. Even the missions that seems too have multiple outcomes allways end the same way. You will allways walk out with the spiderbot in that mission for example. just diffrent ways to do it (buy/kill/buy with Merediths chip) I dont mind a setstory but thats not what they sold us.

I actually like it how they handled some of these character stories. It's realistic. In reality people die, no matter what you do, you can't prevent it and have to learn to live with it.
Yeah but it is supposed to be an RPG game. Allow player choices, even if they have to do almost impossible things to achieve it but allow. So far the game has been pretty linear and I completed all side hustles and gigs. Only Judy's and Kerry's storyline remains.

The death of Jackie is really part of the story so I don't see a way around saving him. T-Bug is another issue since all you see is her screaming and going offline. And unless you visit the one tech dealer, you never know for sure what just happened to her. Evelyn's death was a waste, but I think that's the point of the whole story. But there are stories where you can save people. The secret ending, for instance, allows you to save Rogue.

hey
I see your point, but this happens to other characters, such as Takemura, the game doesn't tell you that you can save him, but you can find him and it will unlock the objective in the mission (as optional) and it makes a lot of difference with or without him at the end of the game.

Ah yes, Evelyn, a character that I never did care about, but the game pretended that I should.
she was a very well written and intriguing character who suffered from getting offed offscreen and lack of screentime.
Instead we get Johnny Silverhand shoved down our throats like : "here you will like him eventually if he keeps annoying you"
But Evelyn is still my most favourite character.

Ah yes, Evelyn, a character that I never did care about, but the game pretended that I should.

Evelyn is that side character that didn't have much development, and you "care"1 for her because you want to make Judy's missions (or romance her). She and V never really get to know each other.

Even Jackie, that deserved a well rounded pack of missions to develop a good friendship with V, got a promo video from Youtube as a friendship "development".

The player feel Jackie's loss because the voice actors are great (male and female), not because they actually made a lot of missions and cool stuff together, which is a big missed opportunity.

Evelyn was a downward spiral... Poor girl. Unfortunately in life stories like hers are a common and true reality.

Prostitute, got it in for whatever reason, trying to get out of it for the good reasons, tries to take a shortcut and it's all downhill from there...

I liked her story. Like many things in this game it was poetic.

I grew up in a rough area, in the less fortunate areas of the world, many people live a downward spiral... They captured her story well.

RIP to all of the real life people shared the same fate.

Meredith lives or dies depending on your actions. I know Anthony Gilchrist lives if Meredith dies, not sure what ever happens to him if Meredith lives.

Yeah but it is supposed to be an RPG game. Allow player choices, even if they have to do almost impossible things to achieve it but allow. So far the game has been pretty linear and I completed all side hustles and gigs. Only Judy's and Kerry's storyline remains.

Totally agree, I like to play RPG because I like to make decision I want. If nothing I can do or what I did is meaningless, I might as well read novel, watch movie or something like that.

I'd actually say that for whats there it's one of the better arcs with a start, middle and end.

She's not my friend, she just wants to meet me to cut out dex, short story is she gambled and lost and took the easy way out.

Longer story is she gambled and lost, suffered more than i could imagine for that gamble and there really wasnt any other way it was going to go.

There was no coming back for her and, honestly, really gladly no "V makes her better and romances her" option, whats there is pretty dark, scary if left to dwell on it and even though short was well writing and performed by all involved.

I dont need to see her "off" herself, seeing the result is enough, hopefully the poor lass got some peace in the end

Evelyn is easily the character I cared most about.

I killed the Voodoo Boys and wiped out Clouds on her behalf.

I really wanted more from her.

Also, Trauma Team FLAT OUT has a method for wiping PTSD and horrifying memories from your brain. You should have been able to shell out 20K or however many eddies you need to save her.

Top Bottom