They did Evelyn Dirty [Spoilers]

+
Sounds fitting in night city, actually Evelyns actions kills mostly everyone, V even dies twice. While she was smart, Evelyn still was mostly no one in night city, without back up you're not going far
Ah, see that makes more sense. I think she had back up, the people she was working with etc were more than likely the cause of her death. It's a lot more likely to me she was assassinated that committing suicide.

On the other hand, the woman was brutalised repeatedly and went through many horrors. This is less about being smart and more the untold abuse, both sexual and physical just destroyed her mentally and emotionally.

Ah, see that makes more sense. I think she had back up, the people she was working with etc were more than likely the cause of her death. It's a lot more likely to me she was assassinated that committing suicide.

On the other hand, the woman was brutalised repeatedly and went through many horrors. This is less about being smart and more the untold abuse, both sexual and physical just destroyed her mentally and emotionally.
Correct, she was mostly fucked from all the abuse and since she double crossed people who are way above in pecking order, she was never ever getting life she wanted after she was caught, only misery

What? The woman was smart therefore she should die? What kind of take is that?

I think they're saying that Evelyn tried to cheat the Voodoo Boys and Brigitte as well as Dex. She was running a lot of angles. If you check the Netwatch computer, you'll find out Evelyn was planning on selling the Biochip to them. However, the thing is that the Voodoo Boys were going to screw her from the beginning. You know they don't hire outsiders unless they intend to take them out afterward.

She was smart but up against utterly scummy enemies. It's why I wiped out Brigitte and her gang.

Still, Trauma Team can wipe PTSD. I wish we'd had an option to pay 20K Eddies or however to get her fixed.

Evelyn made a bunch of poor decisions to be honest.. Very poor decisions. Try to screw the Voodoo Boys, Dex and getting involved with Arasaka were all extremely risky. Doesn't mean she deserved what she had happen to her. It's a pretty sad unfortunate story.

I wish they spent more time explaining or showing the motivations of her intentions though.. Like why did she want to risk all of that stuff and try to backstab people? Just for more money? I got a sense that she was fairly street smart.. I mean she survived as a top notch doll for so long.

Evelyn was one of the strongest characters for me. A key idea in the Evelyn/Judy story arc is that she was doomed from the beginning. Trapped in the world of sex work and surrounded by gang violence, she sought to get out and the heist was her ticket to a better life. Judy seemed enamoured by her and I suppose there is a kindred spirit there too - she is also trapped in the seedy world of sex BDs but unlike Evelyn, Judy was there by choice. She could always escape, given the number of job offers she got, but she chose to stay and tried to change it from the inside. Perhaps she empathised with the plight of Evelyn and the dolls and couldn't leave them behind.

Evelyn left the world of sex work to jump into the world of corporate espionage only to find herself get used, abused and thrown away by powerful people in the information game. Her suicide is the spark for Judy's Clouds revolution, which also turns to shit. Its a painful reminder that in the hyper capitalist, post-human dystopia of Cyberpunk, one individual, no matter how well intentioned, has very little power to change a corrupt institution. This is a major theme of the source material. From that point on, Evelyn cast a long shadow over the game for me. Judy's revolution dies like Evelyn - finished before it even started.

She became a sort of ghost that invaded my thoughts and wouldn't go away. Her character changed the way I thought about the world of Cyberpunk. In dialogue, I started to become more hesitant to ignite revolutions where the conditions are not present for the revolutionary spirit to take hold. You may have been able to take Clouds from the Tyger Claws, but you couldn't hold onto it and the powerlessness I felt in these situations was really something.

I thought she was a beautifully written character, who long after she exited the stage, loomed large on every street corner, where I imagine a similar fate befalling another.

Last edited:
I think the key point of Night City is

No one gets a happy ending

You simply don't. Even if you're a legend, you're not a legend because you're sitting in the back of Afterlife enjoying a drink. You're the legend because you have a drink on the menu and buried somewhere.

Evelyn is an amazing character, she's a tragic character who had her back against the wall and was attempting to make big moves. The problem with this, and imo also a flaw with Judy, is they don't understand Night City. These power moves have cause and effect;

Stealing the Relic

- Betraying Arasaka

She was willing to get close to the temperamental son, who was known to be hot headed, and have a violence past. She was attempting to steal everything that he was attempting to steal just to make money.

Realistically; this was playing with a fire that was WORST than the other betrayals because unlike the others he has the power behind and instability to harm her.

- Betraying Dex

She asks V to cut Dex out of the payment, she even tries to make it sound that SHE has more power than Dex does even though that hasn't been proven. It also almost shown that she was wrong. She didn't hold any cards in her hand, she was instead being puppeteer by others.

This might have been the second safest since Dex as far as we know, isn't that powerful. At least not compare to the other people on this list. He's just now starting to rebuild his group, and make everything back to normal, so betraying him -might- have been safe up to some point. She could have easily left town, and most likely would have been fine.

- Betraying V

She -never- warns you the danger of placing the shard within Jackie's head, which was either knowingly or unknowingly the reaction that would follow afterwards. If she knew, she knew the risk that was being taken and never said a thing, if she unknownly knew about it, that means she didn't do research.

She wanted you to cut Dex out of the deal, Dex would have found out and when he did, he would have gone after V. He has the connections at the Afterlife and we already saw how the heist in a way ruined V's Rep with people. During the phone call with Rogue, she tells you that's why no one wants to work with V. Picture of Dex was alive?

This was the safest of the betrayals because you are nothing in the food chain. At most? You can go after her, but she has more connections and at the end of the day more connections = more power.

- Betraying The Voodoo Boys

The Voodoo boys were already planning on betraying her, while she was planning on betraying them. This was a deadly game and probably the dangerous on the list because while Araska is the stronger, it was establish how dangerous they can be with the net and what they all know about it.

Evelyn was not going to survive, no matter how you cut the cake. Her piece was being served it was just a matter of -how- and -who- would do it. That's tragic sad, but in a twisted way, this was probably the best option that she took her own life instead of living in fear and having to wait for the bullet that had her name on it. If this was real world? Yes, never the option but this is Night City where you find out that people have murdered each other over standing on the wrong corner.

Evelyn made a bunch of poor decisions to be honest.. Very poor decisions. Try to screw the Voodoo Boys, Dex and getting involved with Arasaka were all extremely risky. Doesn't mean she deserved what she had happen to her. It's a pretty sad unfortunate story.

I wish they spent more time explaining or showing the motivations of her intentions though.. Like why did she want to risk all of that stuff and try to backstab people? Just for more money? I got a sense that she was fairly street smart.. I mean she survived as a top notch doll for so long.

The Voodoo Boys are mother****ers. They were never going to leave Evelyn alive if the way they treat you is any indication.

Obviously, she needed to betray them if she was going to survive.

Sadly, there's nowhere their net reach didn't go.

My take on the chip was she was going to sell it to Netwatch and help Judy escape Night City.

Really? Did you romance her? If yes, WTF CDPR?

It's what happens to her if you don't give the Maelstrom the modified chip. The Corpo V option says, "You need a scapegoat or you are dead."

They weren't kidding.

I feel you. The story is very much an "on rails" Small World ride. It would have been nice to have some choice with consequences, maybe not specifically what each one of us wants, but something...

Evelyn is easily the character I cared most about.

I killed the Voodoo Boys and wiped out Clouds on her behalf.

I really wanted more from her.

Also, Trauma Team FLAT OUT has a method for wiping PTSD and horrifying memories from your brain. You should have been able to shell out 20K or however many eddies you need to save her.

great post I kill woodman actually a good thing that you beat him to death with your fists he does not deserve a bullet to the head. I beat Fingers as much as the game will let me if I could end him to I would. I make sure the voodoo boys die .

Fun fact about the game's RPG-elements:

If you did the Side Gig: "Monster Hunt" then you get an extra dialogue option with Forest. You can bring up that you've already killed Jotaro the Tyger Claw Captain for the Mox and ask him, essentially, if you think there's anything that will prevent you from doing the same to him.

He folds like a deck of cards.

I was surprised and wondered how many other adventures are affected by Gigs that way.

Fun fact about the game's RPG-elements:

If you did the Side Gig: "Monster Hunt" then you get an extra dialogue option with Forest. You can bring up that you've already killed Jotaro the Tyger Claw Captain for the Mox and ask him, essentially, if you think there's anything that will prevent you from doing the same to him.

He folds like a deck of cards.

I was surprised and wondered how many other adventures are affected by Gigs that way.

When hunting for the deaths head BD, on my first playthrough I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it (visit sex shops, hunt for leads and find the original seller and pay like 2k eddies for it). On my second I had done most of Wakakos sidejobs, so she just gave the BD to me as a gesture of goodwill.

There are probably a lot of these small changes/additions in quests that are not hammered in as "kill/spare" choices but organic and natural small changes that make the story feel different, even though the end result will be pretty much set.

Would have been nice if your actions and choices determined the life and death of characters. Y'know....like was heavily implied in the advertisements and promotional material.

Would have been nice if your actions and choices determined the life and death of characters. Y'know....like was heavily implied in the advertisements and promotional material.

V is not god, he/she does not control the faith of Night City. But just for laughs lets list (some) of the central character you have the option of saving or killing/letting them die (on the top of my head to name a few):

- Takemura (actually have do some work to save him and really changes the Arasaka ending scenes)
- Royce (you can actually pay for the bot with your own eddies, dont have to go for Merediths loins all the time)
- Adam Smasher (more of a flavor choice but still, no need to kill him and he will taunt you if you do not)
- Rogue / Saul / none depending on the end path you choose
- Placid and all of the Voodoo Boys (go guns blazing or eat their shit? Your choice)

Some side characters/side quest characters
- Grayson (shoot or do not shoot, clear consequences)
- Oda (after the boss fight, will be present in later scenes if left alive)
- Maiko (you can avoid the fight completely but also sacrifice Judys romance option at the same time if you do)
- Meredith (will be killed if the spiked chip is not used to pay for the flathead)
- The netwatch agent (he WILL die if you jack into him)

Just to name a few. Dum Dum seems to appear later depending if you kill him or not and there are some sidequests I have not yet done that seem to have a kill or spare - option at the end. All non-mech bosses can be taken out with a stun baton and at times NPCs will react differently (most notable is Maiko if you fight her and decapitate the bitch with a sword or just beat her senseless and Judys reaction to your choice).

Not to forget some of the more subtle effect your choices will have on the story. It does not always have to be kill or let live.

So yeah, no options at all.

Last edited:
Yeah but it is supposed to be an RPG game. Allow player choices, even if they have to do almost impossible things to achieve it but allow. So far the game has been pretty linear and I completed all side hustles and gigs. Only Judy's and Kerry's storyline remains.
I am afraid the RPG ship has sailed away...

What we have left is a crafting, equipment and skill system.

The story itself feels more like a classic adventure with different types of dialogue.

I mean. It would be OK if there was more replayability.

I am afraid the RPG ship has sailed away...

What we have left is a crafting, equipment and skill system.

The story itself feels more like a classic adventure with different types of dialogue.

I mean. It would be OK if there was more replayability.

Might be blinded by how easy everything is to kill or how we slave for the set mission parameters? One of the best examples is the crucifixion gig:

Start as a normal "kill that dude, he killed my wife!"

Option/choice 1: fail the chase and the mission is over, you get nothing
Option/choice 2: shoot the police before he can shoot the client and the client survives and the client will kill the inmate, mission done
Option/choice 3: the police shoots the client, you shoot the police and the inmate, mission done, both target and client dead
Option/choice 4: let the police shoot the client and interact with the crew, find out about the crucifixion and join in
Option/choice 5: the corpo producer will try to bribe you to leave the group, so take money and leave or stay (as Johnny will urge you to do)

+ all the soul debate
+ later all the choices of will you encourage the inmate or not...

Just one random side gig that gives you a whole shit ton of real life choice, where every choice is final. Not spoon fed options 1-3 and the consequences listed after the options. If you miss your chance, it is gone forever.

Might be blinded by how easy everything is to kill or how we slave for the set mission parameters? One of the best examples is the crucifixion gig:

Start as a normal "kill that dude, he killed my wife!"

Option/choice 1: fail the chase and the mission is over, you get nothing
Option/choice 2: shoot the police before he can shoot the client and the client survives and the client will kill the inmate, mission done
Option/choice 3: the police shoots the client, you shoot the police and the inmate, mission done, both target and client dead
Option/choice 4: let the police shoot the client and interact with the crew, find out about the crucifixion and join in
Option/choice 5: the corpo producer will try to bribe you to leave the group, so take money and leave or stay (as Johnny will urge you to do)

+ all the soul debate
+ later all the choices of will you encourage the inmate or not...

Just one random side gig that gives you a whole shit ton of real life choice, where every choice is final. Not spoon fed options 1-3 and the consequences listed after the options. If you miss your chance, it is gone forever.
That's a good example of a nice rope playing example but it's a side gig, you are Kot even playing, when you are playing a character, who is running out of time.

Top Bottom