It's been a few days since the expansion came out and while the current state of the game is far from perfect, I am enjoying quite a few things about the update:
- The Hype - I think the expansion was perfectly sponsored and advertised. I loved the fact that they set up a website with card reveals. It really helped in getting the attention of people.
- New Mechanics - Even now, I still haven't tried out everything that was added with the update. I haven't even touched Skellige. There's really a lot of content and depth with the update. From Bleeding, Vitality, Shields, Bonded, Formation, etc. They're slowly setting up a good foundation for future updates.
- Delivered - Do you all remember the mess that was the Midwinter update? That was the stuff of nightmares, can't believe it's been a year since then. I was kind of worried something like that would happen again and it didn't. For the most part, every new card that was added is balanced. Obviously a few things slipped out, but it's understandable.
- The ART - Do I need to say more? All of the art on the cards is absolutely beautiful. I think my favorite one from the expansion is Prince Enseis. So many of them are so good though.
- New Leaders - I didn't expect to get five new leaders with the expansion. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out about it.
- Hotfixes - It's nice to know that the Gwent developers are going after unbalanced cards quickly, even if sometimes they're changed in strange ways.
- Bugs, Glitches, Errors - I guess this is to be expected, but it is slightly annoying even now. I am glad CDPR is working hard to balance cards but I do hope they tackle some of performance issues the game has been experiencing, on console at least.
- Not Adding New Mechanics to Old Cards - I think this was definitely a missed opportunity from the Gwent team. I know they changed the wording in some cards to have Deathblow but that's really as far as they went. I hope they consider this in the future.