Things to do to make the game more challenging

+
Things to do to make the game more challenging

I've been thinking after finishing the game for the 3rd time how I can make the game more challenging next time without missing out too much on side quests.Assuming the below under Hard difficulty and maybe a reduced talent points modSome ideas I was considering:1. Never upgrade steel and silver swords, keep your initial weapons instead without oils/enhancers2. Use only non-style weapons3. Focus on Axii, Yrden, Quen and some Aard (no Igni or style swords) to get you through4. Use steel only and no oils/weapon enhancers (allowed to use silver for Beast in the Sewers only)5. No monster xp runs. Go to each monster center as rarely as possible and don't camp out anywhere for the purpose of raking up for xp6. No potions, except mutagens (you are allowed to take the thunderbolt in the prologue)7. Healing potions (swallow, full moon, white raffard's) only (you are allowed to take the thunderbolt in the prologue)8. No armor9. Normal leather jacket onlyAny other suggestions? What do you do to make the game more challenging and keep you coming back for more?

aargh... this scares me
Are these suggestions assumptions or did you tried a few restrictions already? You disclaim do all buffs (except healing), isn't that a kind of suicide? ;D At least I would grant one offensive enhancement ;)

I do 5 all the time and do just fine ending at level 38-40 by the time the GM falls on both normal and hard.On my first Hard playthrough I didn't use any oils, runes or weapon enhancers (though I did use silver)On my most recent one I was using signs only (though admittedly I used Igni in ActV and the Epilogue ::))So quite a bit of it may well be doable.For instance 1 and 4 should be no problem if you skill your styles a lot. Same with 3 where you can have some monster kill or stun for you and Yrden to keep them off you.No potions can be tougher (you are forced to use 1 thunderbolt at the very start btw, but forcible intake is different from choice), but I think very much doable. Just eat ingredients or food instead and rest a bit more often. And use oils of course.

okay... I don't have that one in English but I think you understand it:
great achievementI haven't played on hard yet, just twice on normal and used all available buffs (not as an overdose ;D ) but I think it's possible (for skilled players ;D ) to manage the game on hard if your focus is on the skills which became very powerful.. I didn't dare to fight without enhancements... maybe I should try ^__^

I fight without enhancements all the time ... but it's because i get immersed in the scenery or whatever i'm looking for at the time (I do a lot of runs to check stuff for the wiki). Long story short: i tend to forget to enhance my sword or take any potions. I also forget to look at my stats, which actually helps. I finish many battles near (but not AT!) death ;)But then i rest. It's actually not that hard. Also, turning the sound off helps immensely (if you can bear to!), that soundtrack really gets the adrenaline going ;D

PetraSilie said:
okay... I don't have that one in English but I think you understand it:
great achievementI haven't played on hard yet, just twice on normal and used all available buffs (not as an overdose ;D ) but I think it's possible (for skilled players ;D ) to manage the game on hard if your focus is on the skills which became very powerful.. I didn't dare to fight without enhancements... maybe I should try ^__^
Thanks, certainly understand ;)Do try Hard mode sometime. Outside of you not having the flaming blade cursor, the monsters only hit a bit harder (most noticably, drowned dead) from my observations. The rest really does seem more or less the same.

I listened to the combat sequences carefully. There is a special sound which indicates the end of one attack and chains the next one.I haven't tried the neutral path. Maybe I should take just that one for hard difficulty? Promises to be extra excitement ;D

Eriash

Forum veteran
STGhost said:
I've been thinking after finishing the game for the 3rd time how I can make the game more challenging next time without missing out too much on side quests.Assuming the below under Hard difficulty and maybe a reduced talent points modSome ideas I was considering:1. Never upgrade steel and silver swords, keep your initial weapons instead without oils/enhancers2. Use only non-style weapons3. Focus on Axii, Yrden, Quen and some Aard (no Igni or style swords) to get you through4. Use steel only and no oils/weapon enhancers (allowed to use silver for Beast in the Sewers only)5. No monster xp runs. Go to each monster center as rarely as possible and don't camp out anywhere for the purpose of raking up for xp6. No potions, except mutagens (you are allowed to take the thunderbolt in the prologue)7. Healing potions (swallow, full moon, white raffard's) only (you are allowed to take the thunderbolt in the prologue)8. No armor9. Normal leather jacket onlyAny other suggestions? What do you do to make the game more challenging and keep you coming back for more?
suicide :)

STGhost said:
Been thinking about it myself ... Coccacidium STILL owns me though. He has killed me the first time we meet 4 games in a row. I hate it! I am currently almost done with Chapter three, on hard, original armor, original swords, Argentia on the silver, and Crinfild on the steel. That's it. It is working and it is challenging. It would be a LOT easier to make the game hard if albedo, rubedo, and nigredo ingredients were available for ALL ingredients in EVERY chapter. I would definitely like to try this game with nothing but Cat Rubedo, Blizzard Nigredo, and WIllow Albedo.1. If you die, you start over. Only way to master any game. If you can't do this, you have not mastered it. Period.2. Original armor and weapons only, but I don't think you can make it without 1 general purpose oil apiece.3. Rubedo is the only healing allowed ... (wish that damn thing would stack) no swallow, full moon, or white rafford's.4. I do not believe the Beast can be killed with non-witcher weapons ... have not tried. 5. No armor? Hmmm maybe with crowd control bombs, or Shrike. Can't see getting thru C5 w/o armor and at least Rubedo.6. No signs.

Great way of challenging yourself Trughbull! :)Hardcore mode like in the old days and all!Those modes might actually make bombs quite useful, never tried them so far myself. Something to do next time.I suppose the beat will be very difficult without witcher sword. Though if you paid up with the peasants rather than with Abigail, it should be easy.

Meh ... I'm happy to play games till I have scary skills, and in the video arcade, I'll challenge anyone.Increasing competence is my approach to just about anything in life.However, I refuse to handicap myself, 'cos it's dumb.Take a rubik's cube .. I'll happily spend ridiculous amounts of time improving on my 30 second average (whether it's developing new moves, perceptual shortcuts, or practicing until the movements are instinct).But .. some random guy can solve the rubik's cube with his feet? Moron.

STGhost said:
Do try Hard mode sometime. Outside of you not having the flaming blade cursor, the monsters only hit a bit harder (most noticably, drowned dead) from my observations. The rest really does seem more or less the same.
Another thing i noticed on hard playing, is that you must position yourself more carefully at the battle. This is most for the group style: on medium, you can do the group fighting either the foes are in front of you, or beside you. In hard, you really have to position Geralt in the middle of a circle of enemies, otherwise it won't work.But i enjoy alchemy... One thing i did last time, is that i didn't ware my third armor. (I like leather! ;D ).

I've played through most of the game with just normal weapons and no swords. A few of the weapons are excellent for this, mainly the warhammer with knockdown, as it leads to instant kills in most cases. No group style is scary though. Oh and the bosses....lol.... Still you wanted a challenge :wave:p.s. Moderator spam in this thread! lol. Never seen so many in one thread ^^

The Order warhammer is great I agree. In fact, my fully equipped Geralt has sometimes been killed because of that exact weapon.

Akimb0 said:
Actually I meant the Mahakaman warhammer ^^ +40% knockdown chance! :eek:
I don't know how strong it strikes, but it looks great! Hmmm, i think i 'll try that, although i prefer the witcher styles. If you play many times, it's good to try different things, right? I 'll try it as soon as i can, i 'm in the beginning of chapter two know. (My husband enjoys killing ghouls with a torch! :D )Another thing that is challenging is that you don't reload the conversations or dice games! Because, the game is not about battle, right? ;) This with the conversations is a bit difficult if you play the game for third, fourth time, because you remember them all! But in my previous play, i remember my Geralt almost crying for the money he lost from Deuet (Dewet? De Wuet?) in the fifth chapter. Money he earned with his blood... :wall: :D

You can also fight the golem at the swamp with your sword! (Don't touch the pillars at all ). Be ready for a great trouble... :evil:

Kikamore Queen - mano el crabo - without knocking down the roof. I am told it has been done by using the passage just to the left of the professor's remains. Evidently she cannot enter and until you pass the pilings on the other end of the cave, here smaller workers and warriors do not come to her aide.

Top Bottom