Things you can't do in Act One

+
I'm currently on my second play through, and one of the things I've been trying to do is upgrade my character as far as possible before The Heist; so I've been doing as many of the Assault in Progress, Organised Crime Activity, and minor gigs as I can. So far the things that I've discovered I can't do are:

I can't leave the city, at least in a car (I'll admit I haven't yet tried just walking out);
I can't enter the Afterlife, which means I don't meet Panam;
I can meet Judy, but I don't think I can start her quest cycle;
I haven't been offered any cars to buy.

On the other hand, I can

both find and buy legendary weapons;
upgrade my cyberware, including to legendary;
craft epic weapons (I suspect I'd be able to craft legendary if I'd earned enough perks).

Obviously, we know, or at least I believe, that no matter how good you are when you do The Heist, you can't save either Jackie of T-Bug, and I'm guessing the Arasaka guards who chase us out of the Hotel will scale to give a challenge no matter how upgraded my character is. But...

Are there other things you know can't be done in Act One? Are there any other things it would be interesting to find out if I can do?

You can raid the Scavs compound and find Sandra Dorsett's data shard while also uncovering the black market cyberware ripper without any quest markers but you can't start Sandra Dorsett's mission until Act 2.

Craft epic weapons (I suspect I'd be able to craft legendary if I'd earned enough perks).

I'm guessing the Arasaka guards who chase us out of the Hotel will scale to give a challenge no matter how upgraded my character is. But...
Legendary items can be crafted in act one; some of the Wyvern drones can drop legendary item/ upgrade components if your character level is high enough.

The enemies for the heist don't scale; I turned up to the heist on very hard difficulty with a level 50 Valerie and the enemies were all displayed as low or very low threat, heh

If you do go for level 50 prior to the heist, you'll probably find that you'll only be in trouble if you deliberately play in a suicidal manner, even on very hard difficulty. Hardest thing for me was;

Don't Fear The Reaper, (with my stealth shooting optimised Valerie) where combat mode is pretty much permanent (making all stealth perks/ skills useless) and max health depletes throughout the mission, meaning I had to take on Adam Smasher with 135 max health :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm also on my second playthrough, although i had to restart it a couple of times as a Nomad and I'm enjoying not talking to Jackie at the food vendor and go grind in watson. In my mind it's simulating the 6 months of the montage or at least the low-merc-life before the big gig with Dexter Deshawn!!
I actually recorded Jackie's phone call to play it when I'm ready and pretend it just happened XD
The biggest loophole here is that the "hardware malfuntion" doesn't keep happening

You can raid the Scavs compound and find Sandra Dorsett's data shard while also uncovering the black market cyberware ripper without any quest markers but you can't start Sandra Dorsett's mission until Act 2.
Yeah I was quite pleased with myself when I (minor spoiler) found Fingers and got hold of the 'decent cyber ware' before his questline - meaning I could happily choose that satisfying option when I catch up with him later, and not worry about getting locked out of buying the cyber ware.
A win win (well not for fingers).

If you are Male V, you can meet Meredith Stout in Act I, but you have to wait until Act II for your one night stand with her provided that you did not side with Maelstrom when you go to pick up the Flathead.

Supposedly in the City Kid choice, you can fast travel out of Watson during the lockdown, to the bar. That opens up a whole bunch of disruptive opportunities that the other two paths don't have.

In act one you can't make kittens explode, you can't eat chocolate cigars with a Panama hat on your head, and you can`t play Gwent.

Oh, and you can't leave Watson.

(yep, i'm bored)

With the street kid life path you can travel to coyote cojo fast travel point. Enemies and loot boxes seem to be populated but you can break stuff by looting boxes that contain evidence for the NCPD gigs, that was my experience at least.

You can leave the city if you are a street kid (or Nomad?) as it makes the El Coyote Cojo fast travel available to you as soon as you start. But only one of those, and I forget which; Nomad or Street Kid. I do think it is Street Kid. That's how I got the Legendary Monowire before doing The Pickup or The Heist

EDIT: LOL, right above me just 6 minutes ago!

You can't open the door at Malstrom's base (story quest "Pick Up"), which requires 20 strength, because it's impossible to level up that high in Act 1.

I'm currently on my second play through, and one of the things I've been trying to do is upgrade my character as far as possible before The Heist; so I've been doing as many of the Assault in Progress, Organised Crime Activity, and minor gigs as I can. So far the things that I've discovered I can't do are:

I can't leave the city, at least in a car (I'll admit I haven't yet tried just walking out);
I can't enter the Afterlife, which means I don't meet Panam;
I can meet Judy, but I don't think I can start her quest cycle;
I haven't been offered any cars to buy.

On the other hand, I can

both find and buy legendary weapons;
upgrade my cyberware, including to legendary;
craft epic weapons (I suspect I'd be able to craft legendary if I'd earned enough perks).

Obviously, we know, or at least I believe, that no matter how good you are when you do The Heist, you can't save either Jackie of T-Bug, and I'm guessing the Arasaka guards who chase us out of the Hotel will scale to give a challenge no matter how upgraded my character is. But...

Are there other things you know can't be done in Act One? Are there any other things it would be interesting to find out if I can do?
- You can't leave Watson either on foot or with your car (I tried), That includes the north in the direction of the oil derricks.
- Afterlife is indeed entirely off limits same as the other club near the south of Watson (forgot the name)
- You only meet Judy as part of the Information mission (Heist prep) After that Judy is also off limits so far as I've seen
- You CAN enter Lizzie's prior to doing the heist/Information mission. You can even access the courtyard where the Corpo lands the AV.
- Prior to the Information mission, you can't enter Judy's den.
- You CAN meet Meredith as part of the Pickup mission (either V)
- You strangel don't get any offers for cars, even though some would be accessible such as Galena, Thornton station wagon, Quartz and Shion (as far as I recall)
- You can't complete Regina's Gigs 100% because some cyberpsycho's are not in Watson (not sure if the mission itself even triggers)
- (obviously) You can't complete Wakako's first mission (her present)

Maybe this could be considered a sort of semi-cheat.
If you say that you'll meet Jackie at the Delamain car just before the heist you can keep roaming Watson and I believe you can still re-enter the Afterlife, so I call that: 'technically you can meet Panam before the heist' she just doesn't say anything to you.
Post automatically merged:

I'm also on my second playthrough, although i had to restart it a couple of times as a Nomad and I'm enjoying not talking to Jackie at the food vendor and go grind in watson. In my mind it's simulating the 6 months of the montage or at least the low-merc-life before the big gig with Dexter Deshawn!!
I actually recorded Jackie's phone call to play it when I'm ready and pretend it just happened XD
The biggest loophole here is that the "hardware malfuntion" doesn't keep happening
I did have it happen some times. so it seem that it does trigger very very very sometimes.

I second this. Minmaxing totally ruins the experience. It's weird. The game promotes this yet it's not designed to account for it. Very easy to break this game accidentally.

I see it differently. I think they allowed you to be the Game Master, like a table top game, and play by the rules you want. You all say 'break' the game but it's really exercising no discipline and blaming it on the game. I'd rather have the flexibility available to me, as CDPR did with this game, than be forced into set limitations.

I bought the Legendary Rocket Launcher and saw how OP it was with Tranq's, so I quit using it. I didn't complain or fester. I moved on and enjoyed the game.

Also, far too many look things up which simplifies the game and can lead to being more OP earlier. Play it cold. Have some self-control, folks.

411 hours. 3 characters. My game never 'broke'. It played as perfectly as I wanted it to at any time.

Last edited:
^ The one thing that I will never do it look at game guides ;)
The cool thing about a game such as this is that you can play it at your own pace/rule .. call it what you want.

Top Bottom