Thinking about returning

+
Hi guys, I stopped playing Gwent around the time where the Iron Judgement expansion launched and wanted to know if it's a good time to come back to the game.

My main issue with the game when I left was that deckbuilding had to big of an influence on the outcome of a game, which is something I initially found very intriguing about Gwent. However, I felt that over time it became almost impossible to tech against a variety of strategies, as the tech cards where so binary, that if your opponent didn't use a tactic you're teching against, those respective cards became nearly useless and might even loose you the game.

Is that something the Devs have changed since? And is the game running smoother then it did at the time? I would appreciate it if someone would take the time and give me some advice on whether it's a good time to return.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@TigersEye120 I have bad news for you - if your main issue was the level gap of different decks and binary situations to check if you have a certain tech against a gamedecisive card... Well, since IJ the game got 5 times worse in that regard.

Pretty much all factions have a really good deck, but then 80% of all other archetypes and cards have no chance at all against them (SK Warriors, ST Nature's Gift, NR Shieldwall are the top dogs).

Also there's scenarios, which are the strongest individual cards in the game, and you missed the 'bomb heaver meta' binary check, but its still possible to tech these scenarios, if you do your odds of winning increase a lot.

Hi guys, I stopped playing Gwent around the time where the Iron Judgement expansion launched and wanted to know if it's a good time to come back to the game.

My main issue with the game when I left was that deckbuilding had to big of an influence on the outcome of a game, which is something I initially found very intriguing about Gwent. However, I felt that over time it became almost impossible to tech against a variety of strategies, as the tech cards where so binary, that if your opponent didn't use a tactic you're teching against, those respective cards became nearly useless and might even loose you the game.

Is that something the Devs have changed since? And is the game running smoother then it did at the time? I would appreciate it if someone would take the time and give me some advice on whether it's a good time to return.

Play in casual and run a control deck, you will win about 85% on red coin. On blue that number drops sharply. As for countering everything, not possible. You can build a tall removal or wide removal deck, but not both. Tall removal is easier because the game lacks great swarm removal options. Swarm removal is possible especially with SK and wild boar of the see or Tinboy and SY. Overall, I agree with @DRK3 and think you may find it hard to enjoy.

@TigersEye120 I have bad news for you - if your main issue was the level gap of different decks and binary situations to check if you have a certain tech against a gamedecisive card... Well, since IJ the game got 5 times worse in that regard.

Pretty much all factions have a really good deck, but then 80% of all other archetypes and cards have no chance at all against them (SK Warriors, ST Nature's Gift, NR Shieldwall are the top dogs).

Also there's scenarios, which are the strongest individual cards in the game, and you missed the 'bomb heaver meta' binary check, but its still possible to tech these scenarios, if you do your odds of winning increase a lot.
It's not that bad. Devs are aware of the problems and are trying to fix them. For every 2 steps forward, they make 1 step back, which can be frustrating at times, but it's still progress. They'll get it right, eventually.

Well it is better but also worse. It's kind of a heatwave meta so you can tech it and feel fine in about every matchup.
To your point of loosing through wrong tech, not really a problem cause either you play one of the topdogs or you lose against topdog decks no matter what tech you pack.

We come to the point (again) were really strong decks can womit removal and controll but still outpoint pointslam. SK warriors and the SC decks to some degree do this. These decks are way closer together than when MM hit and skommegalul was the thing but still a huge disparision between T1-2 and every other strategy. Time to bulid a good old Woodland-No-Unit-Artifact deck...oh wait one year has past, not possible anymore...

Try it. Since the game is still completely free to play i would suggesst giving it a shot, depending on your favorite style of playing the game.
If you like Sk warri domination - your meta
if you like controlly SC spelldecks with tall dryads - your meta
if you like NG - hell no they nerfed to the groung
Syndikate can build a few strong options including fireswarm for the first time (yay!)
Monsters are kind of 4th place again but can sometimes but topdogs in really awkward spots. If you kind of a prometeus guy ;)
Finally NR has some really strong but cheesy strategies, like it or not its playable. (Even uprising/swarm is still strong but forgotten cause of shieldwall)

give it a try if one of those fits you, well in the worse case u wasted like two hours installing trying and uninstalling.

DRK3

Forum veteran
It's not that bad. Devs are aware of the problems and are trying to fix them. For every 2 steps forward, they make 1 step back, which can be frustrating at times, but it's still progress. They'll get it right, eventually.

Well, at the end of this month, Gwent will be 4 years old, and Gwent HC 2 years old, so im kinda tired of waiting for that 'ideal meta' and have lost all hope on the devs, im sorry.

Well, at the end of this month, Gwent will be 4 years old, and Gwent HC 2 years old, so im kinda tired of waiting for that 'ideal meta' and have lost all hope on the devs, im sorry.

Agree. If anything this game and its Meta has seriously devolved. 4 years is too long of a time to still be hoping that CDPR will turn things around.

I'm excited for new draft mode because I love that mode in LoR, and I want to see what kind of card packages they come up with in Gwent. But Gwent's normal constructed mode is beyond help.

No, it's not a good time.
Both casual and ranked are full of netdecks and appearently the population isn't growing because - of course speaking from my experience - even in casual I often encounter the same people you see at pro rank or a bit lower using meta decks.
Unless you have the resource to build a competitive deck stay away because gwent isn't even trying to be different from other card games and creativity isn't rewarded. ( and most of the cards are still trashbin material ).

Top Bottom