Thirve should work based on the base power of the unit getting played

+

rrc

Forum veteran
I want the thrive mechanism to be changed such that thrive units get triggered/boosted only when a unit with a higher base power gets played. Basically, any unit which consumes and the becomes bigger shouldn't trigger the thrive. Thrive and Big units go hand to hand. Big power-slam units have a slight disadvantage for their provision : power they bring. The expectation is, when played with thrive engines, the disadvantage goes away and they get more value. A very good mechanics and an interesting concept for engines.

What doesn't make sense is, a low unit which gets played and consumes a unit (either in GY or on board) triggering the thrive units. As I see it, Thrive-BigUnits for engines. Let consume be used to point slam and win short R3. But these consume units shouldn't trigger the thrive. Consume and DW be an archetype. Keep the highest unit Wild Hunt be an archetype. Keep the minimum number of units be an archetype (Ice trolls, Kealties - the dragon from TB, and Jotunn).

Why I think this is necessary: Because of this consume units triggering thrive, it becomes super easy for MO to fill 4 provision thrive units (Archeporus, Nekker, Nekker Warriors and a WTF-WhyTheHell-Only-Five-Provision Alpha Warewolf) and then the deck jumps to huge units in provision. It is like mostly 4s and 5s and then 8+s (and of course, the WHR). It is severely limiting the creativity of MO players (since this is super convenient and no need to think outside the box) and other players too (to always add multiple counters for tall units and not able to play their game).

Let thrive and DW/Consume be separate. Let Archepores do 2 damage on deploy and have only thrive. Please.

What is the take of other players for this suggestion?

When I first tried out Thrive units, I never expected units that consume to trigger Thrive if their base power was originally too low. That feels kinda unintuitive.
Another way to weaken Thrive too, if it is too strong in its current form, would be to change it in such a way that the Thrive unit has to be on the same row as the unit triggering the Thrive.
That way the player has to either row stack and be more vulnerable or loose points.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

Lexor

Forum veteran

DRK3

Forum veteran
The OP's suggestion could be implemented and still wouldnt be near enough to balance Monster faction to the level of other factions.

Like it's been said, these thrive units are usually their opener for R1, they can go all the way and use big monsters on R1 getting huge value, then on R3 they use the ghouls, whatever big units they still have left and other OP cards like Uni-Chironex, to always win a short R3, the impact this change would bring would be minimal.

rrc

Forum veteran
Yes, I agree. I hate Big MO. I play Unseen Elder and have no problem with Arachas Behemoth, Gernichora or even Eredin. Big MO is just lame and it has many factors which has been given too much love. I wanted to create separate threads for each of the cards/mechanics that I feel is unfair and needs to be balanced. I want to discuss logically instead of flaming or creating posts which would fit "Uninstalled sadly" thread.
You should stick to your "main thread".
*Should*? Why my friend? I know these posts get weary and annoying, but I believe that individual threads about individual cards/mechanics would have positive impact. I had to nag and nag and nag until Derren was balanced and Morgvarg was touched (I am not saying it is because of me, but constantly putting that card in spotlight may bring CDPR's attention and seeing the general feedback of the community). I wanted to get the general opinion about MO from the community and hence the "main thread". I promised I would create multiple other threads for individual cards/mechanics. Apart from the fact that these different threads are annoying, I would be glad to know your opinion about the cards/mechanics that are discussed.

Please bear with me, I may create one or max two other threads :p

Top Bottom