This game is a master on breaking the flow of combat

+
This game is a master on breaking the flow of combat

It really stands out when you are in a prolonged battle.
You constantly have to open your inventory to switch potions and bombs which really kills the emotion of combat.
I'll try to explain this but my english isn't good and I hope you guys will understand.

I was fight a wyvern, it had that huge silver bar at the top of the screen and I was underlevel (or undergear) for that. I normally carry thunderbolt, food, dragon's dream in my quick slots. And the thing is, if I get hit pretty hard I won't eat 10 foods, I will probably use a Swallow potion, so I have to open the inventory in the middle of a battle, switch the food for the Swallow. Things go bad and I need to play defensive, Axii, Aard, Quenn, so a Tawny Owl would be good, open the inventory switch thunderbolt for Tawny Owl. Switch also the bombs because I already use the only 2 dragons dream I have also the other 2 on the secondary slot. Once the fight got stable again I have to open the inventory and got a new quick slot set up. It's really annoying. I don't know if you could use potions from the inventory instead of dropping them on the quick slots but it still will break the heat of battle, your focus, to browse your inventory (which is a mess btw, Witcher always had terrible inventories).

I hope you guys could understand the situation.

Maybe if you could put more potions in the 'wheel' you bring up by pressing Tab, making this wheel larger so you would have 10 slots at the bottom instead of 5.
Increasing the number of bombs per type from 2 to 5.

I really don't know what could be done. I'm not a expert but really drives me crazy having to pause the battle and look for what I want in the inventory mess.

then dont open inventory and just hit-dodge-quen better

make it a house rule for yourself

i dont even use the wheel just to keep the fight realtimed

yeah I must admit one of my last favourite things in this game is the fact you cant have a few potions to call on easy, and likewise the fact you cant sort the inventory or see what things are unless you highlight them.

love this game but its little things like that I find time consuming.

To be honest this shouldnt be as big of a problem as your making it out to be.

Most monsters are only weak to one type of bomb or potion or sign etc.

Why carry a demirtium bomb into a fight where you dont need it ?

Potions can be frustrating there is a few good ones but again its not required to use 4 different ones in a battle. Even on Death March. Between Swallow and Thunderbolt or Tawny Owl what is required to be in your quick slot 24/7? You can also drink a potion in your inventory. No need to throw it into a quick slot then later switch for something else.

Your making these fights more involved then they should Be. Some decent preparation before hand solves a lot of these problems.

Maybe upgrade your potion and bombs, then you can carry more of it.
I think the limited number of different potions is a valid choice of the developers, it's even more immersive, because you have to prepare for a fight by equipping the right gear. If you know that you're about to battle a boss monster, equip your Swallow before entering the fight and decide whether Thunderbolt or Tawny Owl is more useful ect.

You break your combat flow yourself by opening the inventory, so don't do it and prepare yourself for the fight :)

Maybe upgrade your potion and bombs, then you can carry more of it.
I think the limited number of different potions is a valid choice of the developers, it's even more immersive, because you have to prepare for a fight by equipping the right gear. If you know that you're about to battle a boss monster, equip your Swallow before entering the fight and decide whether Thunderbolt or Tawny Owl is more useful ect.

You break your combat flow yourself by opening the inventory, so don't do it and prepare yourself for the fight :)

Yeah exactly. And to be fair the fact they even give you the option to use more potions in combat is forgiving.

If this was Witcher 2 you'd probably complain you couldn't use as many potions as you like and not know when/what to use etc.

Yeah this is more user error than a problem with the game. You shouldn't need to use a ton of items to complete fights.

2 Potions and 2 bombs is more then enough for any fight. Make sure you prepare which ones to use so you don't have to pause in the middle of battle.

Remember also, you can hold parry (left trigger) and press d pad left and d pad right to change Signs to further prevent pulling up the quick wheel.

You can swap signs without going into the wheel menu..... But you were talking about potions and bombs ;)

Last edited:
Your making these fights more involved then they should Be. Some decent preparation before hand solves a lot of these problems.

You are saying that I should not be immersed in a RPG? I cant think about anything to say to you... it just doesnt make any sense at all

Yeah exactly. And to be fair the fact they even give you the option to use more potions in combat is forgiving.

If this was Witcher 2 you'd probably complain you couldn't use as many potions as you like and not know when/what to use etc.

I have 100 hours on Witcher 2, completed the game 3 times, 2 times on Dark Mode, and W2 potion was 1000x better because it was really a ''prepare before the battle'' W3 isnt.

then dont open inventory and just hit-dodge-quen better

make it a house rule for yourself

i dont even use the wheel just to keep the fight realtimed

That's the thing, though, you CAN enter inventory at any given moment, so the whole point of preparing for battle is moot... you even can change gear in battle, and people use that.

The only way to remedy that: Make potions last longer and prohibit entering the inventory in battle... a prolonged drinking animation for equipped potions would also be nice, so they don't act as an "oh sh*t" button.

Last edited:
I understand that making W3 a complete open world game makes necessary changes into the potion system. Potions that last as long as W2 would not work, they would probably be to OP.

But the system as it is right now I see as being "chosse a way to fight and never change it if you dont want to break your combat focus". The before battle preparation is non existent since you can drink anything at any given point, even change your armor and pants.

Edit: and Witcher as always been the kind of game that makes you prepare and adapt, thats the reason why you have so much options to use, 5 completely different spells, bombs, potions, and so on. W3 lets you to that yes, but to do so you should break your immersion or you should stick with 1 fight style per battle.

Edit 2: Yes I change my signs with the mouse wheel

Last edited:
You are saying that I should not be immersed in a RPG? I cant think about anything to say to you... it just doesnt make any sense at all.

I didnt say anything about not being immersed? The fact is and my previous point being why do you feel the need to use 5 potions a fight? There is no reason to do so. Would Geralt realistically throw back seven different potions to fight a drowner etc.

And you infact don't make any sense. You claim to want to be able to use a ton of different potions but this whole post is about how it breaks immerison? So why are you doing it? Pretty contradictory.

If there was any reason to use more potions in combat I would agree with you but there isn't! Even on Death March. The most useful potions for DM last 30 mins and without an Alchemy build result in a 100% toxicity....

And I also played Witcher 2 several times. Besides using an Alchemy build or Dark difficulty you get by in that game without tons of potions either. Even if you were one to use them all the time you werent using 6 at a time. So expect to able to in this? The option is there in fact there is just no use for it

Edit: Your previous post I just saw you stated that this game allows you to use 5 bombs in a fight but it breaks your immerison. Please give me an example of any fight that you would NEED more then two or three of either potiob/bomb.

Preparation is in fact existent. No its like W2 where you read books, prepare specific potions etc. But if you dont know what the hell your doing/using its not going to work. Why use moon dust, northern wind etc on something that they wont effect?

You also say you dont want to be stuck to one fight style. This is a RPG your role playing a Witcher. Would you just as soon use a steel sword against a monster because you dont want be stuck having one choice?

Last edited:
Would Geralt realistically throw back seven different potions to fight a drowner etc.

Depends on the drowner. Not too long ago I was level 9 and taking on a Wyvern that was much higher level than I was. In it I used all of my swallow and thunderbolt potions. My white honey potion. My tawny owl potions. Many of my bombs. In the end I won, despite falling off a cliff AND aggroing a small pack of drowners. It was an epic battle, a hell of a lot of fun, and required me to constantly look for any advantage I could come up with.

Personally, I wouldn't mind an expanded radial menu with more potions and bombs. It would feel better and be more immersive than digging through an inventory that could really use some input from the guys at SkyUI.

Also, just a quick life lesson from an old fart: Telling someone to simply "get good" is petty. If you're a better gamer, help someone who is having trouble. Dismissing and belittling them only points out how small you are.

Depends on the drowner. Not too long ago I was level 9 and taking on a Wyvern that was much higher level than I was. In it I used all of my swallow and thunderbolt potions. My white honey potion. My tawny owl potions. Many of my bombs. In the end I won, despite falling off a cliff AND aggroing a small pack of drowners. It was an epic battle, a hell of a lot of fun, and required me to constantly look for any advantage I could come up with.

Personally, I wouldn't mind an expanded radial menu with more potions and bombs. It would feel better and be more immersive than digging through an inventory that could really use some input from the guys at SkyUI.

Also, just a quick life lesson from an old fart: Telling someone to simply "get good" is petty. If you're a better gamer, help someone who is having trouble. Dismissing and belittling them only points out how small you are.

Yeah I understand all this and when facing things twice your level is probably the only time using more potions applies. I will concede to the fact that having 2 potions and wanting food as well sucks and does break immersion but thats not the point i was arguing. Maybe these should be able to be put in pockets or something.

Also I never said or even intend to imply that he needs to 'get good' I was stating the fact that what hes asking for isnt needed and besides for your situation doesnt have to apply in every fight. Doing these things in an odd fight with something much higher leveled is the exception and honestly should not ruin your experience.

If OP is on PC im sure this will get a mod.

I apologize if anyone mistook my comments as a 'learn 2 play scrub' thing. It was not my intention and I also hate this.

That fact that using more items is allowed shouldnt be seen as a flaw. In previous games you obviously didnt have this option and if those worlds were more open and using that item/potiob system problems would arise from never having the correct things equppied.

Last edited:
I didnt say anything about not being immersed? The fact is and my previous point being why do you feel the need to use 5 potions a fight? There is no reason to do so. Would Geralt realistically throw back seven different potions to fight a drowner etc.

And you infact don't make any sense. You claim to want to be able to use a ton of different potions but this whole post is about how it breaks immerison? So why are you doing it? Pretty contradictory.

If there was any reason to use more potions in combat I would agree with you but there isn't! Even on Death March. The most useful potions for DM last 30 mins and without an Alchemy build result in a 100% toxicity....

And I also played Witcher 2 several times. Besides using an Alchemy build or Dark difficulty you get by in that game without tons of potions either. Even if you were one to use them all the time you werent using 6 at a time. So expect to able to in this? The option is there in fact there is just no use for it

Edit: Your previous post I just saw you stated that this game allows you to use 5 bombs in a fight but it breaks your immerison. Please give me an example of any fight that you would NEED more then two or three of either potiob/bomb.

Preparation is in fact existent. No its like W2 where you read books, prepare specific potions etc. But if you dont know what the hell your doing/using its not going to work. Why use moon dust, northern wind etc on something that they wont effect?

The first sentence of my post was "It really stands out when you are in a prolonged battle." I dont take any potions when I encounter a group of ghouls or bandits.

The point is that you have to open the inventory often to switch stuff and its annoying. And Im doing it because I want to. The majority of players aren't hardcore that knows every weaknesses of enemies, often I encounter monsters that I didnt even had in my bestiary, also monsters can be found via exploration, I was going to a quest with Roach and a gryphon fell on top of me, had half HP, a cat and food in the quick bar.

Just because its not necessary to use potions doesnt mean its forbidden, it's a game, everyone play their own way, even if Im not playing death march why shouldn't I use 10 potions if I want to? Is not like im asking for this game to be remove from market or for CDPR works the next year into a complete overhaul, Im just asking for more shortcuts and quick slots lol

If you want a exemple of battle that I would use more then 2 bombs. I say to you, ANY fight, why not? Because isnt the min/max way? Because isnt the hardcore way? lol. If I want to kill 5 ghouls with only bombs I should do it.

I wonder how many times your epic battle got interrupt because you had to open the inventory to get more potions going.

Last edited:
My apologies, Ghost. That last statement was not directed at you specifically. The tone of the thread was generally intolerant and I was merely calling for some consideration on the OP's behalf.

Oh, and Rafamonteiro, quite a few. I'd prefer to have all the potions and bombs on the radial menu.

The first sentence of my post was "It really stands out when you are in a prolonged battle." I dont take any potions when I encounter a group of ghouls or bandits.

The point is that you have to open the inventory often to switch stuff and its annoying. And Im doing it because I want to. The majority of players aren't hardcore that knows every weaknesses of enemies, often I encounter monsters that I didnt even had in my bestiary, also monsters can be found via exploration, I was going to a quest with Roach and a gryphon fell on top of me.

Just because its not necessary to use potions doesnt mean its forbidden, it's a game, everyone play their own way, even if Im not playing death march why shouldn't I use 10 potions if I want to? Is not like im asking for this game to be remove from market or for CDPR works the next year into a complete overhaul, Im just asking for more shortcuts and quick slots lol

If you want a exemple of battle that I would use more then 2 bombs. I say to you, ANY fight, why not? Because isnt the min/max way? Because isnt the hardcore way? lol. If I want to kill 5 ghouls with only bombs I should do it.

I wonder how many times your epic battle got interrupt because you had to open the inventory to get more potions going.

Sigh... yet again im not invalidating your suggestion/comments. Its perfectly reasonable to be able and want to play your way. Especially in an RPG.

Also I never stated you need to do things in a hardcore, min/max style. ALL im saying is to complete any fight in the entire game using an excessive amount of items thus having to break your immersion/enjoyment is not needed.

If this is the way you enjoy to play then you have to settle for the current system. Its not tailored to doing these things as its probably seen as unnecessary.

There is only so many useful things that apply to any give fight. Killing 5 ghouls with only bombs is nice and all but how many bombs actually help in this? Once you use your two grapeshots is it required to then open a menu to apply some fairly useless bombs?

Again im not belittling you or your opinions. Just trying to state this may not actually be seen as a flaw.

I apologize for how heated the argument has become.

That's the big question... also: Would it even be possible to win this battle by only using the stuff accessible from outside the inventory screen? Most likely not.

Only because the game doesn't prohibit something, doesn't mean it's well designed.

That's the big question... also: Would it even be possible to win this battle by only using the stuff accessible from outside the inventory screen? Most likely not.

I think it's possible. You'd have to be damn good to tackle some high level enemies at low levels but I think it's possible. On the other hand, there are some high level enemies that I simply cannot defeat at all. I tried a level 18 Alghoul when I was level 9 and just got decimated no matter what I tried. I'd hit it and take damage. You know it would be nice to have a more in-depth understanding of each enemy type. The bestiary can be a bit limited in that regard. Nice for mysterious immersion, bad for trying to be effective.

I feel the to add that I feel bad about this simply because I cannot seem to get a grasp on your perspective. The thing I'm getting hung up on is that this seems to be ruining some of your immerision/enjoyment. But none of what your doing is actually needed to accomplish the tasks at hand. Thus I feel your doing this to yourself. I realize it may be perceived as poor design but I would argue that if we had the option for 2 or 3 more quickslots. I would assume for 90% of the playerbase it go unused.

There is only so many option and combinations of useful bombs and potions for any different fight. You never fight two drastically different monsters or bosses that require completely different items.

Theres also only so many buttons on a console. Which as unfortunate as it is for the PC crowd seems like was taken into consideration.

Its a shame they cannot tailor to everyones playstyle and if you like using all these thing then you should. Its just that most people probably dont or wouldnt need to have more quickslots.

Assuming your on PC then this will get modded im sure. If your on console and unfortunately a large portion of the playerbase probably is then the current system is a necessary evil.

Edit: Im curious if there's any combos regarding items like bombs that im not thinking of? Like Drsgons Dream and Grapeshot + something?. Also maybe im not recalling particular fights where there may be 2 or 3 different monster types with all separate item weaknesses?

Edit: I just began playing ane decided to look into my alchemy tabs. While I still my point stands on bombs I do see that there would infact be a lot of potions that people could see useful in any given fight. Your definitely right on that point. Saying that though your not 100% required to use them all in a fight. Regardless of difficulty or player skill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom