This game just isn't hard enough.

+
I have seen that "its not darks souls" argument alot in here from people who probably thinks that the DM difficuly is hard enough , but before the release of TW3, the developers said that they arent afraid to make the game very challenging, and the hardest difficulty isnt even on the same chart as dark souls. I dont know if the dark mode is Death March, but due to what they said about the difficulty back then, it seems that the game have some balancing issues now at the highest difficulty.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-be-Very-Difficult-CD-Projekt-Red-Doesnt-Mind

After reading this awhile ago, i was expecting a good challenge from TW3, but if i gonna speak for myself, the only challenge was the first witcher contract.

If they dont fix Death March, i atleast really really hope that they release Dark Mode. ( if just dark mode is what they call death march now though) DM and DM

Last edited:
Oh, c'mon, that's not a build, t

Of course it is... I invested skill points and slotted all skills, even picked some gear. And put some thought into this as well, since I tried to make every pick as useless as possible (should have slotted a 1/3 Aard Range tho instead of some potion skill... a well) This build also requires game progression since I slotted "Side Effects" :p

You don't consider it a build since it does not match your requirement that even the passives make you OP... which was the whole point anyway.
Can't say I care much about the whole "limit yourself to make the game harder"-discussion, just felt like proving that statement wrong...

Also you got an astonishing amount of numbers wrong... Char is 37 btw.
Adrenaline gain is 2% not 20, the sword has 81-99Dmg and 152 DPS so the increase is factor ~2 not ~11, which is not that impressive imo. Same for HP... you'd have 4k HP with that skill @lvl1, so I dunno why a 50% gain is that much... it's not that uncommon that base HP increase on each lvl up. Don't think the +27% sign intensity helps either... all signs are still crap with that intensity.

I think it's kind of the point in an RPG to build a char that is OP... and works most of the time, tho it's unusually easy here. Means you don't have to deal with the atrocious combat that much, so *shrug*

the hardest difficulty isnt even on the same chart as dark souls.

I honestly found Blood and Bones WItcher 3 to be more difficult than all three Souls games. The exact same complaints being made in here can be made for the Souls games and they can easily be exploited far worse than Witcher 3.

If people are upset that a strong build in Witcher 3 is too powerful I can't imagine how upset they'd be using a strong build in a Souls game. Imo it becomes way easier than Witcher 3.

Last edited:
I honestly found Blood and Bones WItcher 3 to be more difficult than all three Souls games. The exact same complaints being made in here can be made for the Souls games and they can easily be exploited far worse than Witcher 3.

If people are upset that a strong build in Witcher 3 is too powerful I can't imagine how upset they'd be using a strong build in a Souls game. Imo it becomes way easier than Witcher 3.

I have no problem to limit myself. That is just what im doing (no potions,magic,signs,bombs,nothing execpt low level gear). Almost all games r pretty easy once you get all the best/OP skills. But honestly, it would be so much more fun if we could use some of the skills, potions etc and still have a great challenge. If the game could scale with the progress. Personally for me, i would be happy it they could decrease the XP alot. maybe down to 65% or 50%. or scale the missions , so that some of them r the same level as Geralt, and some missions that r suppose to be harder a few levels higher and give enemies +hp and + dmg

"self-limiting" is a ok solution while waiting for a possible difficulty upgrade/tweak.

This is what I would like if we were to get another difficulty.

-Leveling system in which all enemies scale with you whilst always being a few levels higher than you.
-Potions and Decoctions do not refill with meditations. You need to gather all of the original ingredients again if you want to make another batch. This greatly limits Decoction use. and makes all potions more of a tactical decision since you don't want to waste them.
-A food/drink meter that you need to keep up with.
-No eating during combat/much slower health regen from food.
-Increase Toxicity.
-A more appropriate limit to Geralts Item Weight Capacity.
-Big Reduction in Loot

Last edited:
After 10 hours with my new playthrought I can highly recommend the better combat enhanced mod http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/212/? for anybody who want's a challenge. If the mod manages to keep the difficulty for the rest of the game or make it even more difficult (the description says: "the game is more forgiving in the beginning given the increased usage of signs at your disposal but then it becomes harder by and by as you encounter strong enemies since bonuses you receive from skills and levelling are drastically reduced. In little words the difficulty curve is on a rising pattern instead of a descending one.") than this is the perfect mod for people like me who think this game is way too easy on Death March.

Some random things I like about the mod so far:
- you have access to all skill from the start and it still doesn't make the game too easy because of the heavy increase of the overall difficulty
- Quen is beyond broken in the base game. With this mod, there is a 15 seconds delay on stamina regeneration after you used it. It's still useful (mainly before the combat as preperation) but not completely OP anymore
- potions have a higher toxicity but last longer. They can't be spammed that easy anymore.
- food doesn't work during combat. With this mod I use potions for in-combat healing and food for out of combat healing. They way it should be used imo.
- experience curve is better, which prevents outleveling quests (couldn't test it after 10 hours, but it feels slower)

Now I only need a mod, which rebalances the gold gain (too much gold from selling stuff) and the frequency you can find alcohol (would prefer to use my alcohol wisely and not being able to meditae after every fight) and I can get the perfect Witcher experience.

I second you Sir. I've tryed Ucross hard mode but that was too harsh. Enhanced feels better, although It got easy after 3 lvls in White Orchard beacuse i uped Poison in the Fast Atack tree. But i can see it getting harder towards later game. Also feel the same about money (although Ucross 90% cut was too harsh, i feel that a 50% cut would be enough).

---------- Updated at 11:44 PM ----------

AWFUL FOND OF THE PONY AS AM I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg the lie... No, never. From what i've seen you posting youre just plain lying or havent played any of the games. I've just finished W3 in Death March, Fume Knight alone is harder than this whole game.

I actually completely forgot about the DLCs. They are amazing and Fume Knight was one of my favorites.

But I was speaking in an overall sense and making a comparison to Witcher 3. A powerful build in Vanilla Dark Souls just makes the game so easy which is the same complaint for Witcher 3. At the same time there are ways to make Dark Souls more difficult just as it is with Witcher 3. They are in the same boat in that regard.

Imo and depending on play style, the base games are jokes compared to their DLC counterparts. The DLCs on the other hand are some of the hardest and best content from the Souls Series for me. I'd take just the DLCs from 1 and 2 over all three Souls games any day.

Last edited:
Guys please, let's just stop the nerf yourself or mod the game talk.
We're not supposed to do their job for them, now as much as I like CDPR, Witcher 3 is... well not a disappointment, that's too strong of a word, but I expected more and better. Especially after all the hype they build up.
Point is simple, we have 4 difficulty settings, it's supposed to go from easy which as the name suggests is easy to very hard. The problem we have that very hard ends as soon as we level up and get a decent gear, which clearly is a mistake on developers part, let's hope they read this, listen and act soon.

Guys please, let's just stop the nerf yourself or mod the game talk.
We're not supposed to do their job for them, now as much as I like CDPR, Witcher 3 is... well not a disappointment, that's too strong of a word, but I expected more and better. Especially after all the hype they build up.
Point is simple, we have 4 difficulty settings, it's supposed to go from easy which as the name suggests is easy to very hard. The problem we have that very hard ends as soon as we level up and get a decent gear, which clearly is a mistake on developers part, let's hope they read this, listen and act soon.

Excatly=)!

My two cents: I've tried both better combat enhanced and ucross hardcore something. After playing each mod for two hours, I ultimately chose ucross. Why?
Although ucross is harder and more punishing, I felt that it was more interesting in several aspects.Better combat enhanced is awesome in more ways than I can explain, for sure. But one thing that put me off was monsters having way too much HP in my opinion, making the fights drag on way longer than I consider enjoyable. While in ucross,they have less HP and hit like a truck, making encounters tighter, in my opinion.

My two cents: I've tried both better combat enhanced and ucross hardcore something. After playing each mod for two hours, I ultimately chose ucross. Why?
Although ucross is harder and more punishing, I felt that it was more interesting in several aspects.Better combat enhanced is awesome in more ways than I can explain, for sure. But one thing that put me off was monsters having way too much HP in my opinion, making the fights drag on way longer than I consider enjoyable. While in ucross,they have less HP and hit like a truck, making encounters tighter, in my opinion.

True, however the money cut is too harsh (can i fix it with that other mod?) and QUEN got nerfed wayyyy to much. I do indeed like some of Ucrosses aproaches , like the one you mentioned about enemies doing more dmg but having less health, also poison and fire doing a lot less dmg. But i like Enhanced aproach to signs a bit more, the delay in QUEN stamina but lasting longer is better, imo.

Shit dies way too fast, killed the Leshen at a logging camp in 3 hits, first time ive seen something higher level than me in ages outside contracts and its less of a challenge than a pack of bandits. My build is terrible too, hate to see what its like with people who arent incompetent. Funniest thing was he didnt even bother attacking me just walked forward, according to the notes you find he was tearing the camp up enough to believe it was magic wielding druids...i am super disappointed, want to try those mods too but i read there for a new game only is that correct?

The bonus damage is *not* affected by modifiers at all.

Yes, it is. What you say makes no sense at all. The only value for damage is base damage (that's a sum of base weapon damage + attack power) and that gets affected by ALL modifiers (in fact modifiers are mult effects on the damage power). If you have looked at the files how can you miss this?

Silver Sword, 81-99 (average 90).. Gives 90/113@5% and 183/225@5% at game start.
Steel Sword, 22-26 (average 24), which is *barely* better than a "rusty" sword.

So? You have only +4 base attack power at level 1 and NO bonuses from skills etc. Moreover the mult bonuses of light/heavy attacks apply ONLY when you make an attack itself.

All combat skills apply to the sword base damage

Nope. There's no "sword damage". They simply apply to base damage, whatever that is that is a sum of weapon damage (fists too) and attack power.

The *sword* has the most impact, then the skills, unless you are using the most basic sword, with no (or minimal additional) skills and a very high lev.

The sword has more impact only because the bonuses are applied on a percentual, so it is obvious that with an higher base start the bonus will be higher. But, actually, with fists the attack power is the main source of increase (given the very very poor base damage of bare hands).

---------- Updated at 05:48 AM ----------

EDIT: See I'm having a real hard time believing that at level 10 someone can beat the Jenny contract without using swords or potions. Punching doesn't do enough damage. The wraith will regen it's strength to full.

Whoever told you that it's a level 10 char? Bah.

Anyway, it's not difficult to find the video in youtube. If you cannot understand the keywords to use for yourself, well... let's just say that I find IT HARD TO LOVE YOU SO MUCH. YET I DO.

---------- Updated at 05:50 AM ----------

Of course it is... I invested skill points and slotted all skills, even picked some gear.

No, you obviously didn't, given the fact that of the 68 skill points you only utilized 27. Your build is obviously NOT completed hence it is not a build.

AM I REALLY GOING TO PONY LAND? I THINK I AM

---------- Updated at 05:55 AM ----------

Ucross mod brings health of enemies to the level of easy in vanilla. That means even bosses will die in 4-5 hits max (even in story and sword fights with bosses ends very quick, and normal has a +40% bonus to health for enemies). If fighting a boss encounter that takes just 10 seconds to win is enjoyable for you, so be it, but I don't like it at all. Moreover Ucross mod didn't resolve the issue of the disparity between stamina base stamina regeneration and when, instead, you use a signs build. He only added delays, but that's not enough to counter the insane bonuses given by taking signs skills to stamina regeneration. This means that, by beginning of the game (even more in his mod with those huge stamina regenerations delay) you can cast a sign only once upon a time, when if you go a signs build then you can cast it practically non-stop.

The approach of Ucross mod to do a lot of damage vs. receiving a lot is very interesting, but, sadly, without a system that has some sort of hit position recognition it becomes just a matter of rolling/doing an hit/rolling again as the best strategy possible in every encounter whatsoever, and makes bosses encounters trivial as far as difficulty (and length) goes.

Sure, Better Combat increases health of enemies overall, so some encounters can seem to drag a little too much (the best would be to redo the base health of all enemies so that the increase is dynamic depending on the type, but that's a lot of work especially for a single person, so I can understand that it is too much to ask) but it is anyway always better than have meaningful fights last very very little just because bosses have too little health and just 4-5 hits kills them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooo.

I HAVE DONE THE PONYING.

This is stage kind of 1.

Stage 2 is deleting/brutally editing posts.

Stage Green is banning the disobedient and disruptive.

Stage Pizza is thread lock.

Couple things: don't tell people what they mean or accuse them of lying. Don't. Argue the point, don't over ride other's perspectives. That's my job. I AM A JEALOUS POWER MAD FANATIC OF POWER MADNESS. Praise Nurgle.

Also keep in mind that because the game is too easy for -you- doesn't mean that's true across the board. If it's easy, you may have to adjust it for your own liking. CDPR is unlikely to do that until and if they offer a permadeath mode. If. IF!

For the record, outside of Boss Fights, I didn't find Dark Souls too hard - and I know at least one guy who found even the boss fights easy. Yes, he plays a lot of video games. Yes, he's very good at them.

Skill Levels Vary.

This is what I would like if we were to get another difficulty.

-Leveling system in which all enemies scale with you whilst always being a few levels higher than you.
-Potions and Decoctions do not refill with meditations. You need to gather all of the original ingredients again if you want to make another batch. This greatly limits Decoction use. and makes all potions more of a tactical decision since you don't want to waste them.
-A food/drink meter that you need to keep up with.
-No eating during combat/much slower health regen from food.
-Increase Toxicity.
-A more appropriate limit to Geralts Item Weight Capacity.
-Big Reduction in Loot

It's kinda too late for that if they are not working on it already. Most of the people will finish the game by the time they will implement this system. Not everyone has the time to replay it.

For me this is the first RPG in years that I play and don't care about skills, there's nothing in any tree that I find interesting and worth leveling. I can just play with the the base ones. Luckily they did the story, scenery and other things really good and I pretty much don't care about combat.

I wish they played Divinity Original Sin and Shadow of Mordor before releasing this game. :)

Also keep in mind that because the game is too easy for -you- doesn't mean that's true across the board. If it's easy, you may have to adjust it for your own liking. CDPR is unlikely to do that until and if they offer a permadeath mode. If. IF!.
It's not just this board that claims that the highest difficulty is too easy. And it's not just one thread or post saying that.
Now if you have this many people agreeing on something, it's probably because it's true. What other explanation do you have for me being able to kill 5 Wraiths each level 29 while I was level 20 ? I'm not bad at this game, but I'm sure there are much better players out there who feel ever more let down by difficulty level.
The game start as very difficult, but than it doesn't follow the players progress.

Now if you have this many people agreeing on something, it's probably because it's true.

Oh, if only the world worked that way. But it does not. And in reference to something as highly subjective as video game difficulty, it absolutely does not work that way.

Oh, if only the world worked that way. But it does not. And in reference to something as highly subjective as video game difficulty, it absolutely does not work that way.
A world itself may not work that way, BUT CDPR said that the game will be difficult, if that was true we wouldn't have so many threads and posts saying that it isn't, yes there still would be some hardcore gamers saying that but they would help themselves to mods.
On top of that most people saying that the game is too easy agree to why the game stops being hard. It's not that it's easy from start to finish. It becomes easy after we level up and get good gear, meaning it's a design flaw where the game does not not scale and follow the players progress. We level up, get much stronger, but our opponents do not.
See if people where saying that Easy mode is too easy, we could call that a BS, but if a lot of players agree that highest difficulty is way too easy it indicates that there is an issue here.

It's not just this board that claims that the highest difficulty is too easy. And it's not just one thread or post saying that.
Now if you have this many people agreeing on something, it's probably because it's true.

The people with complaints tend to be the most vocal. Witcher 3 sold 4 million copies in it's first 2 weeks and is guaranteed to have sold even more since then.

The people on forums make up a small minority when you look at the numbers and compare it to the sales. It's like when some claim that Witcher 3 is broken because of all the threads pointing out bugs. Forum threads and posts are a small minority compared to the overall number of people who own the game.

Top Bottom