This is a barebones RPG. Someone had to say it.

+
Expecting a functioning game that isnt a total disaster bombing CDPRs stocks with a class action lawsuit by investors in the works.
unrealistic expectations
Ok.

Real talk I just wanted a basic RPG or something at least at the level of W3. The game is fun but it is a broken inexcusable mess due to awful management. A story not so uncommon in the AAA industry.

It really is.... The main missions are well done (from what I've completed so far) and the world itself is hands down the most visually impressive game setting I've ever seen. But the actual core of the game is so "barebones" as you say and lacks any depth. The gangs, police, and pedestrians don't react to your Lifepath or Street Cred. Fixers don't react to you killing their own gang members. Most perks are pretty much just percentage increases instead of adding more dynamic nuance to the game. And finally, the game's world is just one giant movie set piece, notice 95% of the buildings are "locked". Either they planned to add more but ran out of time or for DLC, I don't know. So far, it's all just style no substance.

Probably the worst part so far for quite a lot of people are the endings. They are similar as hell and ends up exactly the same, no matter what you choose. They are really depressing and dark just for the sake of it, they also seems to be completely unfinished. That kills almost all of the replay value, what is the point of playing a game as character, if your character always ends up the same way.

Also, after some thinking it feels like the game has been completely reworked because of Keanu (nothing against him), but if you can see 2018 gameplay you can hear on radio that "Johhny just died in 2077".
Johnny is so ham fisted in the game it's kinda ridiculous. I get the main missions and some side missions for him to be there, but he also appears with his stupid remarks and memories in some gigs, what? Frankly, if it was not voiced and made after Keanu, I don't think it would have had as much appearances in the game as it has now.

Also how insulting is when you go through the ending and the game just puts you right back in the last save like "here is your walking corpse, enjoy, oh and dont forget Johnny and that you gonan constantly cough blood and get relic glitches".

Just here to totally agree with the OP's points.

Also, forget the RPG part, the game is an open world. Aka, you can freely navigate around the game world, by foot, in a car, or fast travel. Open world concepts are not new. There is a bar set by previous games with open world settings. Such as basic traffic AI, ffs.

The [...] here can't admit that while yes, this game has an awesome polished static world, they didn't do basic stuff you would see open world games from the early 2000s. Are we just OK with the fact that no-witness crimes are immediately seen by police? That police just magically TP to you? That they won't give any chase if you try to leave? That there is no dynamic driving AI? That by looking away and looking back, objects like cars and people are respawned differently? Etc. You are supposed to be immersed in the game, with the amazing set piece, but there so many things that break immersion, its like having a great dream and immediately being shaken awake.

CDPR promised a lot of this stuff, word for word. Promises that didn't even come close to being done.

I am about 20 hours in and I stopped, partly because I am wondering if they will address any of this down the road. As someone said it on twitter best, this is like watching a movie you want to see so badly on a shaky cam recording of someone in the theatre. Do you really want to watch and experience it that way? I know if I play and beat the game as is, I will probably never return, even if they do fix the bugs and address the glaringly outdated technology for their open world game. This is like a still painting, beautiful to look at, but that's about it.

Hoping for the best.

You said it best, I have also stopped after like 24 hours of playing

They need to address the AI issue... srsly. The game world is soo good but when people running against the walls, if you leave a car in the middle of the street there is a huge traffic jam... cops spawning 1 sec after i kill someone and there is not even one witness. And i thought red dead 2 witness thing was funny... The AI breaks everything that the world stands for... I know that the other cut content was game breaking, because we can see that the game is not running great even with these things in it. Ton of RPG elements are out of the water and that is why the RPG tag was removed... And it is sad because i wanted to know what its like to have amazing clothes which you had total freedom of making it... People can make some amazing clothes if they are not bound to this time.. AC odyssey thing where we can just mask our armor to look like something different not get stuck with the best armor cuz of the stats.. Look i worked on mods before and maybe the RED engine is like the bethesda one.. maybe it sucks for this type of games because some really small things are missing... and this is coming from a person that had fun for 100 hrs - yes i enjoyed the game because i was blessed with almost no bugs and glitches and i actually know how to make games look better... This game could have been amazing and yet we can even get a decent AI and a fcking barber.. srsly..i really like the game but what d f happened...

I've been trying to understand my love/hate relationship with this game for a few days now. On the one hand, so much of it frustrates me; all the mechanics and systems that feel 'missing', the weird way enemies and loot are leveled, the very 'on-rails' story, the ending I got. On the other hand, I have kept playing (at about 96 hours as of posting), so I clearly enjoy SOMETHINGs about the game. Been reading through here and seen some comparisons to Far Cry, and that started making sense of it to me.

Run around a big pretty open world attacking small groups of random enemies, and taking the odd mini-mission here and there. Occasionally get a perk to spend on mostly innocuous improvements. The story and "my" character are pretty much set in stone, though I can make the minor choices sometimes, but I can ignore that indefinitely while wandering around doing minor quests.

I enjoy doing that in Far Cry and I enjoy doing it here in this cool/beautiful future-city. I think that's why I've kept playing and having 'fun', despite the game being kind of a big let down otherwise.

A glimmer of hope:

Yesterday I decided to (don't judge me.. ok judge me fine whatever) to follow Judy in her van after a mission with her was over. She walked over to her van, got in, and drove off. Close behind, I was excited that she would arrive back at her apartment, get out, walk up the stairs, open the door, and say something like you're such a weirdo V, or hey make yourself at home V. Maybe even kick off her clothes and take a shower LOOL ok ok sorry

But.... she kinda just drove to random parts of the city and then circled the block a few times... over and over for half an hour before eventually stopping behind another car that had stopped for no reason. I barged the car out of her way for her but she just sat there doing nothing. I bashed her van about trying to get her to move but she was stuck. For about ten minutes I tried this but no luck.

This may seem like I am complaining about something, and I am, sure, but I am also letting everyone know that it seems like they had started to implement the kind of daily routines they blagged on about. Started to.

Which gives me hope that they will finish it. That their DLCs will be titled along the lines of 'Interactivity update' 'Companions update' and not 'A tale of Blood and Chrome' expanding on the story. Sure, maybe later on, but I think many of us would like to do what I have just described and have it pay off (as an example of the immersion hinted at/downright stated would be in the game and isn't). At least let us sit at more bars than Lizzie's.

It's a bit disappointing that when you do sit down at Lizzie's you get the same dialogue options. It'd be nice if the game seemed like they made it for multiple playthroughs, multiple playstyles, immersive playthroughs. Maybe having a 'So how's it going' dialogue option with the bartender that results in one of several random little conversations. And an animation for ordering / drinking various drinks instead of just buying an inventory item and consuming it instantly.

Topic change slightly:

This game has made many people believe it will be a Skyrim killer, but for it to do that they have to put a lot of work into making modding tools that far exceed the power of those given for the Witcher 3.

They have essentially made a buggy / bare bones game with a story that in my opinion beats the crud out of Skyrim's, Fallout's, Mass Effect's. As with Skyrim and other Bethesda games, CDPR have made a STAGING GROUND, a FOUNDATION for modders to extend the life of this game well beyond what many of us will get out of it currently.

They have a choice, whether they want to implement these features themselves steadily, or work on sick modding tools to let US do it. Because if they do, you can be damn sure that modders will do it. We'll add everything that was missing and more. You want BDs that function? Sure. But not just sex scenes. Not even just sex scenes that let you swap out models so you can VR sleep with anyone in the game (even Rhino lol).... but we're talking VR gigs... VR movies, TV shows, strippers, ALL SORTS. Modders WILL ADD IT IN if the tools are provided.

We would make an entirely new crafting system that lets you learn how to make Inner clothing, and choose between different colour / pattern variations of each kind of visually distinct piece of clothing in the game. Adding glow effects to clothing that originally doesn't have them. Patterns to shirts that usually don't have them.

We will expand on the game exponentially, adding in the ability to have wild body mods, like gold plated arms, voice modulators, and yes, even METAL GENITALS. Maybe even that can be slotted to the quick item slot and used once a minute as a short range shotgun blast.

There are some incredibly intelligent and talented people in the modding scenes of these kinds of games and I believe that CDPR NEED TO RECOGNISE that they haven't created a videogame with Cyberpunk - they've started a project. Something I wish more devs would do instead of churning out title after title, sequel after sequel. Something that has us all involved for years on end.

Make the game that they're really passionate about and STAY passionate about it. Let the community add to it to their heart's content.

I believe in you CDPR. You can do this. Don't let the negativity weigh on your shoulders. You've already done more at this stage than Hello Games did with their comparable release of No Man's Sky. You haven't gone into hiding. I believe you're working on something back there.

A glimmer of hope:

Yesterday I decided to (don't judge me.. ok judge me fine whatever) to follow Judy in her van after a mission with her was over. She walked over to her van, got in, and drove off. Close behind, I was excited that she would arrive back at her apartment, get out, walk up the stairs, open the door, and say something like you're such a weirdo V, or hey make yourself at home V. Maybe even kick off her clothes and take a shower LOOL ok ok sorry

But.... she kinda just drove to random parts of the city and then circled the block a few times... over and over for half an hour before eventually stopping behind another car that had stopped for no reason. I barged the car out of her way for her but she just sat there doing nothing. I bashed her van about trying to get her to move but she was stuck. For about ten minutes I tried this but no luck.

This may seem like I am complaining about something, and I am, sure, but I am also letting everyone know that it seems like they had started to implement the kind of daily routines they blagged on about. Started to.

Which gives me hope that they will finish it. That their DLCs will be titled along the lines of 'Interactivity update' 'Companions update' and not 'A tale of Blood and Chrome' expanding on the story. Sure, maybe later on, but I think many of us would like to do what I have just described and have it pay off (as an example of the immersion hinted at/downright stated would be in the game and isn't). At least let us sit at more bars than Lizzie's.

It's a bit disappointing that when you do sit down at Lizzie's you get the same dialogue options. It'd be nice if the game seemed like they made it for multiple playthroughs, multiple playstyles, immersive playthroughs. Maybe having a 'So how's it going' dialogue option with the bartender that results in one of several random little conversations. And an animation for ordering / drinking various drinks instead of just buying an inventory item and consuming it instantly.

Topic change slightly:

This game has made many people believe it will be a Skyrim killer, but for it to do that they have to put a lot of work into making modding tools that far exceed the power of those given for the Witcher 3.

They have essentially made a buggy / bare bones game with a story that in my opinion beats the crud out of Skyrim's, Fallout's, Mass Effect's. As with Skyrim and other Bethesda games, CDPR have made a STAGING GROUND, a FOUNDATION for modders to extend the life of this game well beyond what many of us will get out of it currently.

They have a choice, whether they want to implement these features themselves steadily, or work on sick modding tools to let US do it. Because if they do, you can be damn sure that modders will do it. We'll add everything that was missing and more. You want BDs that function? Sure. But not just sex scenes. Not even just sex scenes that let you swap out models so you can VR sleep with anyone in the game (even Rhino lol).... but we're talking VR gigs... VR movies, TV shows, strippers, ALL SORTS. Modders WILL ADD IT IN if the tools are provided.

We would make an entirely new crafting system that lets you learn how to make Inner clothing, and choose between different colour / pattern variations of each kind of visually distinct piece of clothing in the game. Adding glow effects to clothing that originally doesn't have them. Patterns to shirts that usually don't have them.

We will expand on the game exponentially, adding in the ability to have wild body mods, like gold plated arms, voice modulators, and yes, even METAL GENITALS. Maybe even that can be slotted to the quick item slot and used once a minute as a short range shotgun blast.

There are some incredibly intelligent and talented people in the modding scenes of these kinds of games and I believe that CDPR NEED TO RECOGNISE that they haven't created a videogame with Cyberpunk - they've started a project. Something I wish more devs would do instead of churning out title after title, sequel after sequel. Something that has us all involved for years on end.

Make the game that they're really passionate about and STAY passionate about it. Let the community add to it to their heart's content.

I believe in you CDPR. You can do this. Don't let the negativity weigh on your shoulders. You've already done more at this stage than Hello Games did with their comparable release of No Man's Sky. You haven't gone into hiding. I believe you're working on something back there.

Idk man, losing hope the more negative publicity comes to light. even the Devs themselves are livid over this

Guest 4211861

RPG doesn't just mean you have attributes to increase, it should also give choices.

Also, the perk points were utterly useless, I see basically no change from perks.

This is barely an RPG, it's really a rail shooter.

RPG doesn't just mean you have attributes to increase, it should also give choices.
As an example you can have an RPG without attributes.

Attributes are just a simplification and visualization of your characters abilities to aid in the roleplay part of roleplaying game.

It's an element of RPGs but its not required for an RPG.

It's telling that the game is quite frankly an Action Adventure shooter with RPG elements. With 98% of choices in game being of no consequence. Perhaps the original idea for the game had more but management ensured the devs had no time to finish it.

The lack of visual customization and interactivity in this game is unbelievable. For a genre and game that is supposed to be all about being stylish, it was disappointing to see that you couldnt even change your hairstyle during your playthrough.
And dont even get me started on the clothing, appartment, vehicle, accessories ++ customization that doesnt exist.

Im actually impressed that a game that was marketed this way with this kind of hype was able to completely ignore these age old game features.

I honestly can not get over how lackluster this game is outside of the graphics. And equally so, confused about seeing people being completely fine with it. Hype must be really easy to generate these days.

The lack of visual customization and interactivity in this game is unbelievable. For a genre and game that is supposed to be all about being stylish, it was disappointing to see that you couldnt even change your hairstyle during your playthrough.
And dont even get me started on the clothing, appartment, vehicle, accessories ++ customization that doesnt exist.

Im actually impressed that a game that was marketed this way with this kind of hype was able to completely ignore these age old game features.

I honestly can not get over how lackluster this game is outside of the graphics. And equally so, confused about seeing people being completely fine with it. Hype must be really easy to generate these days.

I like the game, even with the cut content, but until cutscenes are implemented so we can actually see our characters, the game isn't on the level of The Witcher 3. The Red Engine is the best cutscene engine, yet we don't have cutscenes.

To be honest the cutscenes are what made even very dry side quests in The Witcher 3 feel special. That game is pretty much what inspired modern day AC games to have in depth cutscenes even if they still have boring quests.

Cyberpunk doesn't have cutscenes. Boggles the mind...

Games over the past 10 years have been generally horrible, to a point where a mediocre but adequate game feels better than it really is next to a mountain of overproduced and over-promoted trash. CP77 isn't a bad game, far from it. It's just mediocre, and for most people who're used to games like COD and fortnite hogging the spotlight, it could genuinely be a breath of fresh air despite its shortcomings.

I honestly think those people need to broaden their gaming horizons and play something like Yakuza 0 to see what a good, story driven yet open world game should feel like. If their only reference is unmodded 1.0 skyrim then hell yeah CP77 looks like gods gift to gaming.

Top Bottom