This is a barebones RPG. Someone had to say it.

+
Idk why so many people have trouble walking. I dont even look which buttons i'm pressing, have no trouble with it. :shrug:

What I have, is not walking. It is running. There is run and then there is cyber-assisted 100 meter dash.

What I want, is to take a leisurely stroll through the markets and nightclubs and enjoy this night city they have created. Not fucking speedrun everywhere. If in doubt, they could always just let us adjust the walking speed by setting a number in the settings.

This interface is obviously designed for game controller's analog stick, and on keyboard its just max speed all the time. And I hate it.

I cannot help but largely agree with the OP, regardless of the tone, the feedback can be exctracted well and I share it.

I don't think I came "overhyped", even though I surely awaited this game since the trailer. While it has good moments in the main plot and some side activities, you can just feel a certain "discrepancy" to the open world. Let's not forget all the initially basically promised features that were cut out (showing you management or priority issues down the line).

Let's ignore fixable bugs: Many "quality of life" aspects are missing (hinting at priority issues and time constraints). I can honk my car and play with the lights, but honking doesn't do much as the reactive vehicle or ped AI isn't there or very basic. Yet, I cannot walk unless you consider zooming in to lower the speed walking while intensively staring ahead. The game lowers your pace automatically at some spots though.

What I don't get is why this wasn't minded; some mod already allows you to walk.

Look. It gives a sour taste when on release a simple feature many apparently hoped to get to just take in the sights could not be delivered by the devs, but apparently could be modded in with ease. Even if the rest of the story is great and if many memorable moments were had in it (for me).

I have a large respect for the quest designers and creative folks. I hope they see this post and understand this. I hope devs and mods and whatnot see many posts and realize that people might be confused, disappointed, maybe a bit angry but that their work shouldn't be downplayed. I just feel the company management or whoever gave the according decision released this too early and / or changed course over the general development process too often, losing valuable time.

Yet, I don't want to surgarcoat it or "cope". The game has fun parts but, no over-hype, is not what I expected in terms of world display quality or deliverance after waiting years with passion. The focus on marketing and giving certain illusions in the mind of the viewer of said marketing, ads, and whatnot didn't help.

You can just tell the rough edges after playing a while and they stand in stark contrast to marketing snippets I recall. It's as if focus went strongly into the main quest but "quality of life" features and world interactions were neglected.

- Character editor could've seen more options
- Unable to edit my character's appearance at a Ripperdoc
- Ripperdoc interactions could've seen more animations, even basic ones like sitting on the chair and selecting things from a screen other than a menu pop-up menu like I am doing online shopping - the animations are there anyway, shown in marketing material and as part of the first interaction with your own ripperdoc
- Walking
- Vehicle AI improved including believable police responses
- All the cut features initially promised, hinting at priority and time issues
- Lack of pressure in the open world outside certain main quests (you'd feel wanted, but can stroll around as if nothing happened)
- Speaking of open world, it seems a bit sterile at times, lack of interactions with it make you seem like a tourist just gawking at it for the most part

+ Regardless of those sour things, at least a good main story largely throughout, memorable moments and interesting side quests

I feel the game should've been either managed into one fixed direction from the start or have been released later alternatively to deliver a truly next to flawless experience on release. But it is what it is now.

I just don't want to complain. What can be fixed?

Well, some things cannot be realistically fixed now, just as I assume some cut content won't be added later as they would have to rewrite parts of the game and story maybe - or just not have it tie into these parts.

But they can focus on quality of life improvements, AI issues and pop-ins and bugs. Some can be salvaged and improve and it will be. But they are going to have to do better for the next game upon release, no way of sugarcoating it from my personal viewpoint. Whether it is management or the demands of investors, I dunno. But one can't just focus on the money side.

Of course, they can, but then the company and devs (or management) take a lot of criticism. Some perhaps wrongly (devs?).

I cannot help but largely agree with the OP, regardless of the tone, the feedback can be exctracted well and I share it.

I don't think I came "overhyped", even though I surely awaited this game since the trailer. While it has good moments in the main plot and some side activities, you can just feel a certain "discrepancy" to the open world. Let's not forget all the initially basically promised features that were cut out (showing you management or priority issues down the line).

Let's ignore fixable bugs: Many "quality of life" aspects are missing (hinting at priority issues and time constraints). I can honk my car and play with the lights, but honking doesn't do much as the reactive vehicle or ped AI isn't there or very basic. Yet, I cannot walk unless you consider zooming in to lower the speed walking while intensively staring ahead. The game lowers your pace automatically at some spots though.

What I don't get is why this wasn't minded; some mod already allows you to walk.

Look. It gives a sour taste when on release a simple feature many apparently hoped to get to just take in the sights could not be delivered by the devs, but apparently could be modded in with ease. Even if the rest of the story is great and if many memorable moments were had in it (for me).

I have a large respect for the quest designers and creative folks. I hope they see this post and understand this. I hope devs and mods and whatnot see many posts and realize that people might be confused, disappointed, maybe a bit angry but that their work shouldn't be downplayed. I just feel the company management or whoever gave the according decision released this too early and / or changed course over the general development process too often, losing valuable time.

Yet, I don't want to surgarcoat it or "cope". The game has fun parts but, no over-hype, is not what I expected in terms of world display quality or deliverance after waiting years with passion. The focus on marketing and giving certain illusions in the mind of the viewer of said marketing, ads, and whatnot didn't help.

You can just tell the rough edges after playing a while and they stand in stark contrast to marketing snippets I recall. It's as if focus went strongly into the main quest but "quality of life" features and world interactions were neglected.

- Character editor could've seen more options
- Unable to edit my character's appearance at a Ripperdoc
- Ripperdoc interactions could've seen more animations, even basic ones like sitting on the chair and selecting things from a screen other than a menu pop-up menu like I am doing online shopping - the animations are there anyway, shown in marketing material and as part of the first interaction with your own ripperdoc
- Walking
- Vehicle AI improved including believable police responses
- All the cut features initially promised, hinting at priority and time issues
- Lack of pressure in the open world outside certain main quests (you'd feel wanted, but can stroll around as if nothing happened)
- Speaking of open world, it seems a bit sterile at times, lack of interactions with it make you seem like a tourist just gawking at it for the most part

+ Regardless of those sour things, at least a good main story largely throughout, memorable moments and interesting side quests

I feel the game should've been either managed into one fixed direction from the start or have been released later alternatively to deliver a truly next to flawless experience on release. But it is what it is now.

I just don't want to complain. What can be fixed?

Well, some things cannot be realistically fixed now, just as I assume some cut content won't be added later as they would have to rewrite parts of the game and story maybe - or just not have it tie into these parts.

But they can focus on quality of life improvements, AI issues and pop-ins and bugs. Some can be salvaged and improve and it will be. But they are going to have to do better for the next game upon release, no way of sugarcoating it from my personal viewpoint. Whether it is management or the demands of investors, I dunno. But one can't just focus on the money side.

Of course, they can, but then the company and devs (or management) take a lot of criticism. Some perhaps wrongly (devs?).
i have no doubt my original posts tone may have come across coarse and agressive, some left over frustration is there.
Thank you for making well worded and appropriate addition to the thread. youve come across in the way i definitely wish i could have.

Some very valid points and pretty much all i agree with. it 100% seems like they certainly started from square one quite a few times and from what we've heard from devs and insider information this isnt far from the truth.

Guest 4406876

You see? Nothing wrong with "big dreams."
:)
I know, something as basic as Lost Planet 2 coop isn't that bad in the end, and quite enjoyable if with friends. But again...I don't really know how much experience CDPR has on open world coop games in an environment twice the size of Div1 and Div2 and Ghost Recon: Tardpoint all togheter.

I'll gladly forgive any CP2077 starting hiccups if multiplayer turns out to be decent (or rather, good). While I'm not sure what is best to pick here in terms of approach to multiplayer (I dislike Battle Royale and hope it won't be the sole thing), something with open world elements would be a must-have or ideal as it allows more customization and options over something solely "round based" or limited map based.

In short, MP in an open world would be nice, with the ability to cooperate or hinder others. Some people likely can't stand the comparisons anymore, but something akin to GTA or RDR might do the trick. I dislike classic MMORPGs due to their grindy-ness, but would even take an MMORPG over limited maps or battle modes with "rounds".

Main things are "open world aspects", some sort of character progression and customization, plus being able to pick some sort of faction.

I know, something as basic as Lost Planet 2 coop isn't that bad in the end, and quite enjoyable if with friends. But again...I don't really know how much experience CDPR has on open world coop games in an environment twice the size of Div1 and Div2 and Ghost Recon: Tardpoint all togheter.

I dont know either....but i guess if youre a developer getting into that sort of thing, then you better get some good advice from the folks that do know. With that being said, i hope to god they dont take any advice from Bethesda. I wont mention the game that they experimented with multiplayer implemented. After two years, that game is still a disaster.

This game will be totally off the chain in multiplayer. Personally i cannot wait until its here.....whenever that will be. :)

Don't get your hopes up.

If an engine has performance issues in singleplayer, they will only be multiplied in multiplayer, and add network latency on top of that. From technology standpoint its far harder to make a good multiplayer game than a good singleplayer game. There are numerous examples of good singleplayer games turning up lackluster multiplayers. (anyone remember Assassins creed multiplayer?)

Sure, it doesn't have to use the same engine, but that is a problem in itself. If they have to make a different engine from scratch, there is no guarantee it will be anything good or at least EVEN as good as the singleplayer engine. I would say that chances are like 60% that it will turn out terrible.

And EVEN if they manage to make a decent multiplayer game, it still runs the issue of: What can you do in it if there are no other players? A co-op multiplayer can be unplayable if theres nobody to play it with. The issue with multiplayers that aren't strong standalones, is that players will move to newer, better games soon after leaving the servers empty. Then you have nobody to play with in your timezone. This is 10 times more probable in the case of co-ops.

Only games that have strong PVP aspect (fighting games, Dead by daylight etc) or have strong immersive element make a dent. (GTA, although Id say that the worst aspect of GTA online IS the other players. Its best played in a solo session). PVP will always produce some kind of emergent gameplay (you can never be quite sure what the other person will do) leading to more engaging experience and longer playtime. I personally have my most hours in pvp games.

So there are a lot of hoops for cyberpunk multiplayer to jump through before they even arrive at mediocre game. People who think "GTA" and "Cyberpunk multiplayer" in the same sentence need their intelligence augmented.

Last edited:
Much has already been said in this thread and the others too.

The game is an utter disappointment for me, personally. I don't know what some people love it for, but assume their game standards are significantly lower than mine. I'm unable to enjoy this game at all. People try to convince me it's an RPG, but is playing a single prescripted role still counting as RPG?

I got disgusted by my own character during the ripperdoc's scene after Jackie's death. You have two options there, and in both of them V speaks in a nearly crying voice about his own imminent death. Really? He's just lost his best (I assume) friend, he saw the darn emperor die, and he cries about himself? After all, we're all gonna die anyway. If V's so afraid of death, how the hell can he be a merc?

Then there was this quest with Johnny, where you're supposed to find all Samurai's tapes. On a crowded market you talk to someone who points you to a guy selling old tapes, saying, "he's somewhere in the market, you'll need to look for him", or something like that. I thought - the market is big, and I'll have to find someone who sells old tapes - that's like that quest in Witcher 3, where you had to find some beggar or thief in Novigrad's market square. "Sounds like fun", I thought to myself. But guess what? I didn't have to look for him, because he was already marked on the map.

When you talk to that guy, you have 2 'yellow' choices when asking for help from Johnny: "Little help, Johnny." and "A little help here, Johnny!" Can you tell the difference? (A walkthrough guide says "There are no choices in this mission", btw). It doesn't feel like playing a game, it feels more like watching a movie, where you only have options to play/pause and skip some scenes. You don't have much choice, and don't see why some people claim that these quests are better than the ones in Witcher 3.

Then I ran across some gang, started shooting at them, shot their silhouettes through the wall with my sniper rifle, apparently injured or killed some civilian whom I didn't see, but two police drones unexpectedly spawned behind me and killed me, and I uninstalled. That's my story.

I can hope that some things might get fixed/added with the future patches and DLCs, but I doubt that the core game mechanic will receive any significant improvements for me to reinstall and play it once again.

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes up.

If an engine has performance issues in singleplayer, they will only be multiplied in multiplayer, and add network latency on top of that. From technology standpoint its far harder to make a good multiplayer game than a good singleplayer game. There are numerous examples of good singleplayer games turning up lackluster multiplayers. (anyone remember Assassins creed multiplayer?)

Sure, it doesn't have to use the same engine, but that is a problem in itself. If they have to make a different engine from scratch, there is no guarantee it will be anything good or at least EVEN as good as the singleplayer engine. I would say that chances are like 60% that it will turn out terrible.

And EVEN if they manage to make a decent multiplayer game, it still runs the issue of: What can you do in it if there are no other players? A co-op multiplayer can be unplayable if theres nobody to play it with. The issue with multiplayers that aren't strong standalones, is that players will move to newer, better games soon after leaving the servers empty. Then you have nobody to play with in your timezone. This is 10 times more probable in the case of co-ops.

Only games that have strong PVP aspect (fighting games, Dead by daylight etc) or have strong immersive element make a dent. (GTA, although Id say that the worst aspect of GTA online IS the other players. Its best played in a solo session). PVP will always produce some kind of emergent gameplay (you can never be quite sure what the other person will do) leading to more engaging experience and longer playtime. I personally have my most hours in pvp games.

So there are a lot of hoops for cyberpunk multiplayer to jump through before they even arrive at mediocre game. People who think "GTA" and "Cyberpunk multiplayer" in the same sentence need their intelligence augmented.

As i already mentioned in my post above yours......the specific game i was referring to....but didnt name...is a fine example as well. Its still a convoluted mess after two years.

I never hope high when it comes to companies transitioning a single player game into a multiplayer one. Its always in most cases a disaster at release. However, in time things can be improved upon. Its all up to them how much time and testing is put into it to achieve the best product possible.

I wasnt really expecting a deep RPG system, though i know that's what they said i honestly didn't really look at any hype about the game or trailers. I only had a vague idea of the premise of it and didn't really know what to expect coming in. I bought the game strictly due it being by CDPR who ive enjoyed games from in the past. That being said, the RPG systems that are in the game are kind of lacking. It feels like Mass Effect 1 style where your inventory is just a mass load of gear that you constantly have to manage or it will get out of control. it's a numbers game of just picking the weapon/gear that gives the most benefit. It's not really a loot based game but does have loot drops that kind of remind me of Division. Obviously that is a loot game so it's different but that is kind of my point i think. They kind of took the basics of a few games and put them all into one, so nothing is too refined.

As soon as they announced the intended change from third person to first person that's when I knew things were going downhill faster than bowling ball soaked in lube. Not only is it not an RPG, it's not a mature adult themed game, Night City is basically current day Chicago with teleporting police, there's tons of missing content, the drug dealers sell healthy products (dies a little more inside) and I could go on for days.

I look forward to seeing if they actually DO redeem themselves now that they've acknowledged to some degree the state of things.

im new here so i cant post threads, can someone make one for me ? >> They removed a bunch of poses from photo mode with the last patch.
no more sitting poses,no stalking, praise the sun, and a bunch of others. i really hope this wasnt a memory budget for last gen that got shafted into pc as well.

yeah a lot of this should've been in the game to begin with or even added later on, even though i doubt that will come soon (with the bugs and all that) or even ever at all...

I wasnt really expecting a deep RPG system, though i know that's what they said i honestly didn't really look at any hype about the game or trailers. I only had a vague idea of the premise of it and didn't really know what to expect coming in. I bought the game strictly due it being by CDPR who ive enjoyed games from in the past. That being said, the RPG systems that are in the game are kind of lacking. It feels like Mass Effect 1 style where your inventory is just a mass load of gear that you constantly have to manage or it will get out of control. it's a numbers game of just picking the weapon/gear that gives the most benefit. It's not really a loot based game but does have loot drops that kind of remind me of Division. Obviously that is a loot game so it's different but that is kind of my point i think. They kind of took the basics of a few games and put them all into one, so nothing is too refined.

glad to hear from someone that came in with purely no hype built up or expectations. so a fresh take.

its nice knowing we arent wrong (knew that anyway) when it comes to the core RPG Mechanics being lackluster. if people that werent heavily following this games development realise that, then that should tell the devs something.

yeah a lot of this should've been in the game to begin with or even added later on, even though i doubt that will come soon (with the bugs and all that) or even ever at all...

The thing is, with this games kind of engine it can be hard to implement things like that post launch. even more so for modders. the engine isnt as easy to work with as it is for games like Skyrim

Top Bottom