this is silly but have to ask

+
this is silly but have to ask

I need to know the right order of Sapkowkis book of the wicher yea Im a Newbie ;)

Story collections:1. The Last Wish2. Sword of DestinyThe Saga:3. Blood of the Elves4. Time of Disdain5. Baptism of Fire6. The Swallow's Tower7. Lady of the Lake

Only the first one is available in English tho... And I don't think it can be translated without loosing a lot from the text. How do you feel about learning Polish?

Entropy86 said:
Only the first one is available in English tho... And I don't think it can be translated without loosing a lot from the text. How do you feel about learning Polish?
I mite have to just do that ;)

Do not try to learn polish :) It's impossible, i think. I'm PL and i can't imagine ppl from other countries, learning pl... offcourse there are lot of them, but don't do it for book only ( I know it's the best book, but U know :D)

In fact, even If u will learn our language, you won't understand about half of text The Witcher - cause Sapkowski used a lot od archaic words ;)

Hmm.. i would actually worry for all the jokes and the careful play of words at some moments... I don't think any part of the witcher is a very hard read. And I know some outlanders speaking perfect Polish, better than most of the politicians here.;)

I know this is way off topic, but HATTA, your signature is driving me crazy, its a pet peeve of mine when something is miss quoted, your sig says:I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all outta bubblegum.The actually quota is:It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum.

I also see that Gollancz has skipped translating Sword of Destiny and has begun Blood of Elves and is set to be out on 18 Sep 2008 (English translation of course)

oulzac said:
I know this is way off topic, but HATTA, your signature is driving me crazy, its a pet peeve of mine when something is miss quoted, your sig says:I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all outta bubblegum.The actually quota is:It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum.
Ur talking about Duke Nukem right? Let me tell u something... The REAL and the original quote is from a movie "They live" and it says: "I have come here to chem bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum" and my quote is from a Flash cartoon "Retarded Animal Babies" (newgrounds.com). Duke Nukem didn't say that first and this is not his quote... So I didn't missquoted nothing.

Seeker said:
Seeker said:
or you can try to learn Czech :). Czech translations are in some part even better than the original.

I dont't think that there would be a better translation that the original with lots of archaic vocabulary. Even Czech. But their translation would be in some ways similar, cause we our languages have lot in common and are qiute similar to each other.

Jooska said:
Jooska said:
Jooska said:
or you can try to learn Czech :). Czech translations are in some part even better than the original.
Or you can learn spanish, the traslations are great, the traslator is really good and put archaic spanish too to give the same sense that in polish.When I read the books I enjoy a lot not only for the history, but for the way it is wrotten, the way the things are explained. Sorry but I think in english the books will lose a lot.

That's a real tough nut to crack. Not only polish language is second most difficult language in Europe (after flemmish), but Sapkowski's books are written in difficult way too. See, Poland being in the middle of Europe has had every possible influence from other european (or semi-asian like Mongols) nation. Old polish is full of foreign words, some of them twisted and due in time transformed in polish versions.For example cekhauz - anyone knows what's that?? :p German folk might know because it's either theirs, or Austrian. It's means arsenal. Obviously, one can translate cekhauz into arsenal and job done, but the feeling is gone. When You read "arsenal" You think "ok, place with weapons stored" (english ppl think "FOOOOTBAAAAALL!!!!!" xPPPPP), but "cekhauz" gives that edge. In an instant You see a building, guarded, dark atmosphere of violence around. There's plenty of things like that in the book, and there's plenty of archaic simple-folk-talk, which is slavic to very bone. :(I really, really hope that one of ours proffesional writers/translators will sacrifice a bit of his/her soul and make english version in the proper way.

Finnish and Hungarian are way more difficult than Polish - they're not even Indo-European.

Top Bottom