This quest ruined the game for me...

+
This quest ruined the game for me...

I just had to express it and let it out. Witcher 3 was by far the best game I've played for a while now (over 85 hours total game time) and it really got me immersed. However, I got a displeasing surprise when I got to the final romance quest. Yes, I'm talking about the infamous It Takes Three To Tango. Call me naive, stupid, whatever for not seeing this coming, but this was my very first Witcher game and I didn't know it to be so painfully unforgiving. It did not seem obvious for me we had to choose, unlike many other players. And I although I did go with the flow of the game, romance was still important to me as this is where the emotional part would kick in. Now again, I've read it already. I know what you will say: Witcher 3 isn't about romance etc. etc. . I get it. But I feel like this choice was imposed on me, and it certainly wouldn't have been the one I would have made. That's what bothers me: it doesn't feel like my path anymore. So much going forward just feels like labor (not looking forward to anything anymore) and going back is not an option. I'm currently level 31 and my last save before any of the romance quests is before level 10. I just wanted to put that out there because I think I will have to leave Witcher with a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm really sad CD Projekt Red doesn't attempt to fix this as it seems many players fell for that trap, too. At the same time, I understand. A lot of players seem to feel this is a great way to deal with it, too. And, for real, the scene is really great and funny. What sucks is that it just ends there. The ladies are brutal and completely reject Geralt. I just find the timeline way of playing the game doesn't suggest choosing a side all that much. And from what I read online about the lore, Geralt's loss of memory justifies being in love with both Triss and Yennefer for some players. I'm just really disappointed, and ever more so that I am with such a great game. If you've read through this, thank you.

iCake

Forum veteran
This is silly, man. Whatever gripe you have with the game now is totally your choosing, both in choosing to feel bad about it and in choosing to romance the two girls at the same time. Yes, a bummer, but we all have to live with the consequences of our actions, even in a game that would seem.

@LordSathuraax

Try not to feel too bad because it's not just new players who got burned. In the previous 2 games you could have Geralt romancing a character while messing around without any consequences. The first game doesn't have Gwent but it has a special card game of its own ;) sort of an unofficial mini-game to see how many times you could get him laid :D I can sympathize with players who thought they could continue on the same way in TW3 and new players who didn't know enough about the backstory of the characters but CDPR had to wrap up Geralt's story and the Yennefer/Triss situation needed to be resolved. The Witcher games can be very harsh indeed.

I don't want to give away any spoilers but if you have Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine you might find something to temporarily fill the void. Keep playing :)

Last edited:
just load a save file before the decisions that decide the romance path, choose only one , Triss or Yen and continue with the chosen one, simple

That's actually what makes this game so great, I made this same mistake my first play through and just accepted it, the cool thing is you can play through again and make different choices for a whole new experience.

iCake;n7597590 said:
This is silly, man. Whatever gripe you have with the game now is totally your choosing, both in choosing to feel bad about it and in choosing to romance the two girls at the same time. Yes, a bummer, but we all have to live with the consequences of our actions, even in a game that would seem.

Yes you're totally right! Thank you. The thing is I don't feel it was my choice. I killed Keira, for example. And even though I would have preferred to save her, I knew I chose to kill her directly with my spoken path. When it comes to Yen and Triss, I did not intend to cheat them both. I may be totally wrong to think this way, but I sincerely thought it was okay to have feelings for both without engaging to one or the other. In the quest Now Or Never, for example, I chose to want to have more of Triss. I want to know more about her and from what I was able to understand they broke up sometime before the game, but I still wanted to "have her back" and possibly date her. What I intend to say is I wanted to save this decision for later when I learned more about both, so I intentionally made sure I would not reject any of them as lovers. However, the timeline of the game makes it impossible and it does not recognize the romancing nuances. You either reject them, engage to them or cheat on them. There is no in between, and that is where I stand. My choice was to date both, engage later.

Merc616;n7597760 said:
@LordSathuraax

Try not to feel too bad because it's not just new players who got burned. In the previous 2 games you could have Geralt romancing a character while messing around without any consequences. The first game doesn't have Gwent but it has a special card game of its own ;) sort of an unofficial mini-game to see how many times you could get him laid :D I can sympathize with players who thought they could continue on the same way in TW3 and new players who didn't know enough about the backstory of the characters but CDPR had to wrap up Geralt's story and the Yennefer/Triss situation needed to be resolved. The Witcher games can be very harsh indeed.

I don't want to give away any spoilers but if you have Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine you might find something to temporarily fill the void. Keep playing :)

Thank you! It's really nice to feel the support from experienced players! It's weird to say, and I'm sure you might understand, but I was so emotionally connected to the Witcher 3 that this feels like a real disappointment. I can literally feel the void, the impact this had on Geralt as if it were mine. However, I cannot react as if it were me. I'm an entrepreneurial type of person and I believe every problem can be fixed. And when I actually face one that can't, I have trouble coping with it and end up simply giving it up and switching path. So I think Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine may be the way to go as I literally cannot get myself to play the main storyline anymore. Thank you very much! You may very well have found a solution for me! Means a lot!

cyberpunkforever;n7597800 said:
just load a save file before the decisions that decide the romance path, choose only one , Triss or Yen and continue with the chosen one, simple

My last save file before the decisions that decide the romance path is 21 levels away. Basically most of the game.

GerardofRiviera;n7600990 said:
That's actually what makes this game so great, I made this same mistake my first play through and just accepted it, the cool thing is you can play through again and make different choices for a whole new experience.

Yeah, you're right. The first cut is the deepest, though. And this is what makes Witcher so great, I guess. It actually got to me on an emotional level, can you believe? Never happened to me before.

Last edited:
LordSathuraax;n7604670 said:
Thank you! It's really nice to feel the support from experienced players! It's weird to say, and I'm sure you might understand, but I was so emotionally connected to the Witcher 3 that this feels like a real disappointment. I can literally feel the void, the impact this had on Geralt as if it were mine. However, I cannot react as if it were me. I'm an entrepreneurial type of person and I believe every problem can be fixed. And when I actually face one that can't, I have trouble coping with it and end up simply giving it up and switching path. So I think Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine may be the way to go as I literally cannot get myself to play the main storyline anymore. Thank you very much! You may very well have found a solution for me! Means a lot!

LordSathuraax;n7604700 said:
Yeah, you're right. The first cut is the deepest, though. And this is what makes Witcher so great, I guess. It actually got to me on an emotional level, can you believe? Never happened to me before.

The Witcher 3 is an exceptional game that can really get the player emotionally involved like no other. Another reason I recommend the 2 expansions is to avoid the massive depression that hits a lot of players after the completion of the main story. You can find several threads about this on the forums. I thought I'd give you a heads-up on that.

I think you should push through the main story of the game before starting Blood and Wine. It could be worth it if things go well ;)

Last edited:
Yes, Three to Tango just about ruined the game for me as well. That both of the women Geralt loves break up with him and leave him, forever, without Geralt ever even getting the chance to talk to them about their relationship(s) is pretty terrible writing, as well as terrible gaming.

I looked for any chance I could find after the Djinn story where I could talk to Triss or talk to Yennifer about the situation. I figured for sure we'd all get a chance to talk about it at Kaer Morhen. Nope. The game did not let me talk to them about this. And the game continued to refuse me the option of talking to them about the relationship. All the way up to the point where the two women Geralt trusts more than anyone else in the world other than maybe Ciri took his trust and betrayed it, leaving him shackled to a bed and then afterwards telling him "Geralt of Rivia simply does not matter to us anymore".

Terrible, atrocious, writing. And for those who say it's so realistic, in reality there isn't a limited menu of conversation choices that restrict my ability to bring up a subject with people and talk to them. Like in this game, and like they never gave Geralt a chance to talk to Yennifer or Triss and straighten out the situation before it went to hell.

"It's real, like life" doesn't work to explain this, since in real life you could just TALK to the women and straighten things out. The game devs made the specific choice to NOT allow you to do this.

Can't seem to shake off the terrible taste in my mouth that "three to tango" left me.

I found this "quest" immensely disappointing for several reasons. Primarily because it doesn't seem that Geralt deserves for the two women he loves to write him off and walk away as though they simply don't care. Neither of them seem broken up about this. What's Yennifer's line, "Geralt of Rivia simply doesn't matter to either of us any more."
Well, that's nice, Yennifer.
It's exceedingly difficult to tell what's "in character" and not based on playing these games. Especially when it comes to Yennifer. Who could guess what her likely actions were in this scenario based only on what we see ingame? No one.
It was already difficult to understand what Yennifer's appeal was, other than she's hot. Okay, she's smoking hot. Got it. But she didn't come looking for Geralt and when he asked why her answer was essentially "Eh, you're a grown up. I knew you could take care of yourself."
Sure, he can. But that doesn't mean he wanted to spend the entire first and second game alone. It doesn't mean he doesn't miss her. It doesn't mean that when he recovers his memories and realizes "Hell, she never even tried to find me" that it didn't burn like hell.
With Triss? My Geralt and her had a good relationship going at the end of the second game. The word I've read explaining the sharp disconnect between the second game and the third game as regards the relationship between Geralt and Triss is that Triss decided after game 2 that she'd taken advantage of his amnesia to the point where it poisoned the relationship, in her mind. She left him, told him to go back to square one and maybe they'd see each other again some day and maybe they'd be friends or maybe they'd be more but she was leaving and hitting the reset button on the relationship.
Now that's a bit contrived if you ask me, but okay, take it for what it is.
Now in Game 3 Geralt gets back together with Triss. And why wouldn't he? He still cares for her. HE didn't leave her after game 2, that was all her. He understands she feels guilty for taking advantage of his amnesia but he knows he had agency in deciding to pursue a relationship with her in game 2. She didn't "take advantage" nearly as much as her guilty concience insists.
So, they get together in Game 3. My Geralt is STILL carrying around the Rose of Rememberance, a magical item that PROVED he loved her in Game 2. And which she just left behind in a dresser at her home in Novigrad and didn't try to recover.
What does Yennifer and Geralt have by this point? Very little. We met her for the first time ever ingame at the start and she was cold, to say the least. And by the time we're making decisions about a relationship with Triss we've still not had any contact with Yennifer. Memories restored or not it sure seems like there's not much relationship there, at least on Yennifer's part. SHE DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO FIND HIM.
Then the Djinn story and it seemed incredibly cold to tell Yennifer at that point "Wow, it really was all the Djinn! At least on my part. I know you just confessed your feelings, but hey, turns out I don't give a $$%^ about you after all!"
If he EVER cared about her I couldn't see him doing that.
So, a lot of people (I quite easily imagine) ended up cuffed to that bed at the Kingfisher.
And why? Because at no point did we have the opportunity to talk to either Yennifer or Triss about our relationship(s), no chance to talk to either of them about whether they feel they're in an exclusive relationship with Geralt. Do they mind if he's hitting the whorehouses? Do they even react at all to the fact he slept with Kiera Metz? They never come to him pissed off about him sleeping with anyone, at any point.
So why would he feel like he was "cheating" on either of them? They didn't say they expected exclusivity. A confession of love isn't an automatic assumption of exclusivity either. Especially given that neither of them object to him sleeping around with all sorts of women, from whores to other sorceresses like Kiera.
If either of them had taken their plenty of opportunities from the Kaer Morhen portion of the 3rd game through the departure from Novigrad later to come to Geralt and talk to him about their relationship and what they expected and let him know "Hey, if we're going to be serious I need you to be exclusive with me. I know you still have lingering feelings and a relationship with Yennifer/Triss but that can't continue if you and I are going to go forward. Let me know what you decide and please decide soon."
If either had done that then Geralt wouldn't feel like he'd been blindsided. Blindsided by a cruel prank that took advantage of his trust of both of them (you do NOT shackle someone then leave them tied up, it's a "funny" joke but it's also something you just do NOT do) and blindsided by the fact that both of them walked out of that room having utterly ended their relationships and feelings for Geralt.
And why? Because he loved the other woman too? At some point in the past? And now, after months of amnesia and being left alone by Yennifer and all these struggles... they're going to just say "To hell with you Geralt, you didn't read my mind and know I expected you to never sleep with anyone else other than all of the whores of the world and all of the other sorceresses and other people EXCEPT Triss/Yennifer!"
My Geralt is standing on the ship with Yennifer having just told him "We've both decided that Geralt of Rivia simply isn't someone either of us care about any more." And Triss told him she didn't care anymore either.
He's standing there, looking at Ciri, looking at Yennifer and Triss, thinking of all of this he's been through strictly to help these people he cares about. All the effort he made helping Triss and her idiotic escaping mage plans. All the bull he put up with from Yennifer in order to help whatever plans she had.
And they tied him up, left him there, and both tell him the next day they simply don't care at all about him anymore.
That's not justice for a "cheater". That's cruelty. Sharp, harsh, cruelty to a person who didn't deserve it.
Seriously, we're standing there on the ship and I'm supposed to go do something something involving the Wild Hunt and Ciri and... I just can't care. He's standing there with his heart ripped out. By these two women who he trusted more than anyone other than maybe Ciri. Either of them could have spoken to him, but they never did. Hell, I LOOKED for opportunties to talk to them and figure out where this was going, starting at the Kaer Morhen portion of the game, when Triss and Yennifer are at the same place there with Geralt for the first time. And never did the game give me the opportunity to even try to figure out what was Geralt's chosen path going forward.
Both women refused to talk about it, then they cruelly broke up with him, in the most heartless way I can imagine.
So, unless the writers were TRYING to write both Yennifer and Triss as heartless cruel people that makes this entire scenario an example of bad writing.
And the worst part is how this throws a shadow over everything that happens now. I'm having a hard time understanding how my Geralt can even be civil to these two women. How he's not angry, very very angry, and washing his hands of both of them after telling them both exactly what he thinks about them now.
I just can't seem to care about the next step in the main storyline even. Just standing there on the ship, supposed to go look for a "sunstone". Like he even gives a damn anymore.

And people keep saying "it's like real life, if you cheat on a woman" or such. In real life I can chose to talk to the people around me about any subject I want, no matter what the choices on the conversation menu say. Whereas every time I tried to or wanted to talk to Yennifer and Triss about the situation, from the start of the Kaer Morhen portion of the game through the "Final Preperations" quest, the writers of the game denied me that ability, they made the specific choice to NOT allow Geralt to talk to either of the women and to resolve the conflict in a mature responsible way. Instead, the women resolved it in the most immature, cruel, high-school sort of way imaginable. :/

And yes, that's frustrating because it's now staining everything that happens after. I can't watch Geralt talking with either of these women politely and like they're all friends as they go forward in the last act's quests. It's completely immersion breaking because no one, no one, would react like that to both of the women he loves and who he trusted more than anyone other than maybe Ciri, turning on him like that and completely writing him out of their lives without so much as a discussion.

o ohhh! I think we are headed the same way! haha! I'm only up to level 19 at the moment but as soon as I rejoined Yennifer on Skelliga i realised that his romance story might end a bit harsh. Looking forward to it all unravelling though lol.

Also didn't realise saying "I love you" to Triss would actually end in her getting off the boat.!!

LordSathuraax;n7597050 said:
The ladies are brutal and completely reject Geralt. I just find the timeline way of playing the game doesn't suggest choosing a side all that much. And from what I read online about the lore, Geralt's loss of memory justifies being in love with both Triss and Yennefer for some players.

Just because there is justification for loving more than one person, doesn't mean those people are going to be okay with it.

Plenty of people in the real world can be in love with more than one person romantically. If you are in an established relationship though, it doesn't mean you have to act on it. You chose to, and you get consequences because of it.

If you READ the books, Triss basically seduces Geralt knowing that he was madly in love with Yen. Both feel terrible about it and it makes their relationship really awkward for a while. Then when he loses his memory and isn't mooning over Yen, Triss has a longer relationship with him.

The POINT is that you, as the player can choose to say "Oh, yeah, Geralt and Yen's thing was totally the Djinn, I really do love Triss" or not. But if you decide to be an ass and go "I want both" without knowing that either would be okay with a polyamorous relationship, things aren't going to work.

indeed, as a matter of fact from lore and prior games Followed by the BLATANT thing Yennifer says at the beginning of 3 "You and Triss were a couple, I didn't see the point in interfering" (Geralt: But meh amnesias), why on earth would you expect it to end well or there be a resolution if you slept with both!?

Keep in mind that the two women see each other as EXTREMELY close friends, like sisters. Name the number of real life sisters that would be okay with sleeping with the same guy?

Basically, you as Geralt lie to them, each in turn, and they compare notes and find out. Yeah, brutal rejection is pretty much assured there.

As for the "Oh I didn't get to resolve the issue after telling Yen I loved her AFTER sleeping with Triss" Boo Hoo. You said so yourself, She didn't even try to find him with amnesia, You have an issue with that but instantly forgive her to go "no I totally love you" Forget the point she was very CLEARLY pissed in Vizima when you encounter her and Geralt asks "why didn't you try to find me" and she specifically CITES you being with Triss as a reason. Given the fact that Triss and Yen are very close and have known each other FAR longer than they've known Geralt.... Yeah, they're going to cut you out rather than be mad at each other.

Fine. Do you love her more than Triss?

Corewolf;n8034270 said:
Just because there is justification for loving more than one person, doesn't mean those people are going to be okay with it.

Plenty of people in the real world can be in love with more than one person romantically. If you are in an established relationship though, it doesn't mean you have to act on it. You chose to, and you get consequences because of it.

If you READ the books, Triss basically seduces Geralt knowing that he was madly in love with Yen. Both feel terrible about it and it makes their relationship really awkward for a while. Then when he loses his memory and isn't mooning over Yen, Triss has a longer relationship with him.

The POINT is that you, as the player can choose to say "Oh, yeah, Geralt and Yen's thing was totally the Djinn, I really do love Triss" or not. But if you decide to be an ass and go "I want both" without knowing that either would be okay with a polyamorous relationship, things aren't going to work.

indeed, as a matter of fact from lore and prior games Followed by the BLATANT thing Yennifer says at the beginning of 3 "You and Triss were a couple, I didn't see the point in interfering" (Geralt: But mah amnesias!), why on earth would you expect it to end well or there be a resolution if you slept with both!?

Keep in mind that the two women see each other as EXTREMELY close friends, like sisters. Name the number of real life sisters that would be okay with sleeping with the same guy?

Basically, you as Geralt lie to them, each in turn, and they compare notes and find out. Yeah, brutal rejection is pretty much assured there.

As for the "Oh I didn't get to resolve the issue after telling Yen I loved her AFTER sleeping with Triss" Boo Hoo. You said so yourself, She didn't even try to find him with amnesia, You have an issue with that but instantly forgive her to go "no I totally love you" Forget the point she was very CLEARLY pissed in Vizima when you encounter her and Geralt asks "why didn't you try to find me" and she specifically CITES you being with Triss as a reason. Given the fact that Triss and Yen are very close and have known each other FAR longer than they've known Geralt.... Yeah, they're going to cut you out rather than be mad at each other.

Top Bottom