Thoughts on development and growth of Gwent

+
With SY, it seems there was too much emphasis on creating a faction-specific identity. This resulted in creating the coin mechanic as an uninteractable and faction-specific mechanic. This is a big missed opportunity to develop the already existing factions at the same time with this expansion. The game needs to be developed, balanced and grown as a whole, creating fun and interactive mechanics that make Gwent the best card game. Archetypes can be created within any faction, by having a specific group of cards with synergizing abilities and using (a combination of) specific mechanics. However, these abilities and mechanics should never become uninteractable for opponents as this makes the game less fun and on top of that, a balancing nightmare (like artifacts and Immune cards in a similar category).

Coins are very interesting and can actually replace the problematic charges. Coins could be used by multiple cards in all factions. Coins could add a fun complexity to the game if they are kept by units and can be stolen by the opponent, as proposed in the thread "Suggestion: The new and improved coins mechanic". Having a game-wide new mechanic will make the entire game more interesting instead of only the new faction and will make the new mechanic a lot easier to balance across factions.

How will u screw coins to monsters? Even now it was made very badly with arena monsters, cause monsters do not even understand money, and arena is the only place, they can somehow be bound to money. How will u screw it to ST? ST does not fight for money. The same for most of redanian cards. The same for Philippa, Baron's daughter and many others, who doesn't even think of money.
If u introduce coins, it'll be the same as HS mana crystals.
The only good wayout of all this problems is to remove coins at all and return to real Gwent's home, essence, which is tactical, turn based CARD game. There must not be anything else, except cards: no coins, no orders, just timers and another automechanics. Coins, like orders, are too heavy, boring and hard to balance. They look too foreign to this game. I can't believe that someone like this stupid orders more, than Gwent's OBT interesting mechanics.
It's Gwent HomeLeaving, guys, really. And with more addons, it is more leaving. So, I have already left it. Can't see this perversion any more.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Didnt say this before, but it's now the 3rd thread the OP creates to say the same thing, im surprised they didnt get merged or locked.

And the suggestion, to make coins associated with units? Like someone else said, that would make SY just another NR, incredibly vulnerable to removal. It would go from overpowered to underpowered just like that.

Making the coin mechanic available for all factions would also defeat the purpose and identity of this new faction. However, i havent tried it, but if a faction - most likely NG, or maybe in Arena - can steal/ copy/ seize units with coin generation and abilities, it should be able to use them.

At the moment Syndicate is OP, but it can be fixed with lots of provision changes and some tweaks like cooldown effects and not having 'zeal' for all the coin abilities.

If stuff like this continues (new cards coming and making more than 60% of old cards bad) with next expansions I sure as hell won't stay with this game for long. At least I can have faith that MTG never will allow this to happen. Currently this is the worst state of the game since I've started (few weeks before release of CC) and I don't have any motivation to play Gwent. Arena is an even bigger dumpster fire with new faction since you don't want most of those cards in your arena deck and it still doesn't provide RP.
Regular play is boring mess. You can pray your SY opponnent didn't draw two of the 5 or more OP combos in his deck then you may have a chance to win. It feels like an alpha game currently with a lot of stuff to correct to the right path.

I believe coins being uninteractable by the enemy is a lot better than being interactable. Having specific counter cards would just make those cards extremly strong agaisnt SY and extremly week against anything else. That would make the game just a lot more binary and easier already decided at game start.
It would be same as with weather and artifacts. Because there exist only a few counters to them, the counters have be quite strong if used, as well as artifacts and weather(mainly in the past) being strong if left unchecked.

So coins themselves shouldn't be changed in my opinion, but the ways to generate/spend them. And I have already seen some quite good suggestions for that.

How will u screw coins to monsters? ...
Some factions (like MO) and units will certainly not use coins, but they can still steal them by killing units, unlike with SY when the coins are always safe in the pouch. I'm sure the Hawkers in ST like some coins. Regarding Orders, I certainly agree with you.
And the suggestion, to make coins associated with units? Like someone else said, that would make SY just another NR, incredibly vulnerable to removal. It would go from overpowered to underpowered just like that.
Too much removal in the game is another problem, but it's no excuse to not fix the coin mechanic. Both need to be fixed, it's as simple as that.
Making the coin mechanic available for all factions would also defeat the purpose and identity of this new faction. However, i havent tried it, but if a faction - most likely NG, or maybe in Arena - can steal/ copy/ seize units with coin generation and abilities, it should be able to use them.
This needs a bit more out-of-the-box-thinking. It would not defeat the purpose. Why can't there be multiple factions that use a specific mechanic, especially one like coins? This would make the game more interesting overall. In NR, the focus/archetype can be soldiers that need to get paid, in ST it could be a group of Hawker units.
Post automatically merged:

I believe coins being uninteractable by the enemy is a lot better than being interactable. Having specific counter cards would just make those cards extremly strong agaisnt SY and extremly week against anything else. That would make the game just a lot more binary and easier already decided at game start.
It would be same as with weather and artifacts. Because there exist only a few counters to them, the counters have be quite strong if used, as well as artifacts and weather(mainly in the past) being strong if left unchecked.

So coins themselves shouldn't be changed in my opinion, but the ways to generate/spend them. And I have already seen some quite good suggestions for that.
There's a very simple principle I use: A game is most complex and strategic (fun!) when there is a lot of interactivity and interactability. So that means that anything that limits interactability is bad for the game. And that simple principle has always proven true.

I am not proposing specific counter cards, exactly the opposite. The "counter" is stealing coins by killing units, which is one of the most general mechanics. Damaging and killing units is certainly not binary like weather and artifact removal.

An example is Arena mode. Arena has now been flooded with useless coin cards. If we get more and more cards that are faction-specific, limited-to-a-small-group, non-interactable mechanics and other stuff, Arena can be thrown in the trash bin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom