Thoughts on Exotics

+
Thoughts on Exotics

I just read through a thread from 4 years ago regarding exotics, and I didn't want to drag that into the future, so I decided to start another and see newcomers' opinions and if veterans still have the same outlooks.

My stance is that they should be in the game (they were in 2020.) I probably won't have one, but it'd create even more character diversity. As long as they are rare.... I don't want to see 75 catfolk standing on a corner unless there's some sort of catfolk rally going on

Well, I mean, exotics aren't exactly cheap; the full packages go from a couple to a several thousand euros. Actual "hero characters", as in the players, if they're about average at what they do, they only make a couple thousand euros a month. Regular citizens won't be making that kind of bank. Aside from the price, there's the humanity cost, and the extensive surgeries. So yeah, exotics aren't going to be standing around every single street corner. However, there'll probably be some in private parties or around the high-end clubs and venues, and some streetwalkers may have had some work done. Think along the lines of a boob job.

Also, the best cyberware and surgeries are available in Europe (aside from the Crystal Palace), so there might be some pretty botched operations walking around here and there in the US. That's assuming they wouldn't have chosen to dive off a rooftop out of embarrassment instead.

In any case, I would definitely expect to see some in places where they fit in, but yeah, Night City streets aren't a furry carneval, for sure.

Last edited:
Id be fine with 'em, Night City is a place for all sorts of weirdos. Hell, one of the example adventures in the police sourcebook had the cop PC's dealing with a gang of very indepth Star Trek impersonators, down to biosculpting themselves to look and sound like the characters.

Hell, the concept of posergangs in general. Groups of people dedicated to looking and sounding like one particular person or group of people. Think The Kings from FO:NV in a cyberfuture.

They weren't in base 2020, though. Any more than ACPA or FBC. They came in the later Chromebooks.

Exotics are kind of, hrm. Cool, but also tangential to the chrome and edge of cyberpunk.

I'd say not a priority for the first game.

Sardukhar;n8629840 said:
They weren't in base 2020, though. Any more than ACPA or FBC. They came in the later Chromebooks.

Exotics are kind of, hrm. Cool, but also tangential to the chrome and edge of cyberpunk.

I'd say not a priority for the first game.

Didnt the corebook have biosculpts such as "Heavy scales", "Tail" and "Muzzle", with the chromebooks adding Minor and Major packages so people didnt have to buy the bits individually?

Last edited:
One of the key pillars of any RPG should be getting better stuff to upgrade your stuff so you stuff is better at doing stuff.

kanonite;n8631250 said:
Didnt the corebook have biosculpts such as "Heavy scales", "Tail" and "Muzzle", with the chromebooks adding Minor and Major packages so people didnt have to buy the bits individually?
Well, the core rulebook has color-shifting skin, color-shifting eyes, hair that lights up, rabbit ears, grabbing feet, and stuff like that, as well as soviet cyberware, wolverine claws and other cyberweapons, and so on. Definitely weird-looking people of all kinds. Add to that all the color and glitter in clothing.

I'm thinking a lot of the people who are firmly against exotic/animal parts are going off by the poorly drawn illustrations in the Chromebooks (which basically are a must-have core sourcebook in my personal opinion), or have this idea that the streets are going to be filled with "anime furries" and whatnot. As I posted earlier, I'd see it as there being few here and there, and mostly in the club scene, and among prostitutes. If you've got cyberware, and you've got rich people, it's only logical they'll make animalistic body modifications. That already happens in our very real world after all.

Sydanyo;n8636870 said:
Well, the core rulebook has color-shifting skin, color-shifting eyes, hair that lights up, rabbit ears, grabbing feet, and stuff like that, as well as soviet cyberware, wolverine claws and other cyberweapons, and so on. Definitely weird-looking people of all kinds. Add to that all the color and glitter in clothing.

I'm thinking a lot of the people who are firmly against exotic/animal parts are going off by the poorly drawn illustrations in the Chromebooks (which basically are a must-have core sourcebook in my personal opinion), or have this idea that the streets are going to be filled with "anime furries" and whatnot. As I posted earlier, I'd see it as there being few here and there, and mostly in the club scene, and among prostitutes. If you've got cyberware, and you've got rich people, it's only logical they'll make animalistic body modifications. That already happens in our very real world after all.

Have literal "Playboy Bunnies"

I hope there are some NPCs that are exotics. Not sure about for the PC. While it could be cool to have some minor cosmetic things ... getting too involved with the stuff could really impact that quality of facial animations.

I'd be surprised if CDPR allows your character to go very far with changing yourself into an exotic. I do expect them to be in the world, would be very disappointed if they are not, but like others have said, it's expensive, so you would not be seeing them everywhere. I'm also hoping to see some new wacky poser gangs!

I'd have to agree, player character exotics shouldn't be a priority for CP2077, maybe part of an expansion or in a follow-up game.
It'd require a lot of work on CDPRs part to incorporate them.

That said, seeing a few (very few) NPC exotics around would be reasonable.

"Rabbit ears" are telescoping visual/audio tactical enhancements. Lets you look around corners safely, among other things. Mostly modelled after this guy, one of my very favourite characters:

There were cybersnakes and vampires, designed for combat. Quite nasty, not cosmetic.

The main books didn't have tails or whatever, that was in Chrome. Cosmetic cyber included techhair and synth skin - typically to display light or other patterns. Neon, of course, a favourite.

No Title

Sardukhar;n8647510 said:
"Rabbit ears" are telescoping visual/audio tactical enhancements. Lets you look around corners safely, among other things. Mostly modelled after this guy, one of my very favourite characters:

There were cybersnakes and vampires, designed for combat. Quite nasty, not cosmetic.

The main books didn't have tails or whatever, that was in Chrome. Cosmetic cyber included techhair and synth skin - typically to display light or other patterns. Neon, of course, a favourite.

C2020 Corebook, 2nd Ed, Page 121.

Attachments

• photo138560.jpg
    photo138560.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
kanonite;n8648460 said:
C2020 Corebook, 2nd Ed, Page 121.

Oh yeah, good find! I also had forgotten those were in the core. It's in the bodysculpting, exotic fashion - part. An excerpt here for those interested:

"Bodysculpt jobs that emphasize the alien or inhuman are known as Exotics. Vat-grown tails, furred skins, hooves, animal-like faces and ears, cats eyes and other semi human features are the highlights of this style. Exotic fashion is incredibly expensive, time consuming and usually a hobby among only the very rich and very bored."

So, yeah... Pretty much as I stated earlier; most likely in the high-end areas and clubs, and I would personally add prostitutes to that group, and the extent of their enhancements depends obviously on the price of said prostitute, and I suppose the wallet of their pimps.

As others have said, I think it should be there, should be uncommon and largely confined to Poser-gangs, niche groups, high-end parties, and exotic sex-workers. I don't see having it available as an option for character creation as important, but I would not object if some or even most, options were present. I mean, if they can do it well, why shouldn't I run around as a Cat-Girl Solo? But I won't be crying if that's not possible.

animalfather;n8635560 said:
One of the key pillars of any RPG should be getting better stuff to upgrade your stuff so you stuff is better at doing stuff.

That's for other RPGs, in Cyberpunk the only thing that gets better are your skills. You won't see a +5 Shotgun of Rat Slaying, or a +9 Nanofilament Knife of Booster Harrasing, if CDPR does it right it will depend on what brand you like and there will NO RPG stats on any items save for how much ammo it holds and how worn it is.

walkingdarkly;n9019640 said:
That's for other RPGs, in Cyberpunk the only thing that gets better are your skills. You won't see a +5 Shotgun of Rat Slaying, or a +9 Nanofilament Knife of Booster Harrasing, if CDPR does it right it will depend on what brand you like and there will NO RPG stats on any items save for how much ammo it holds and how worn it is.

Well... while I agree with the "+5 shotgun" or what ever... you can still improve your gear, by the way of getting better equipment.

I doubt that you will be able to get the best available weapon of each kind or something on character creation in CP2077. Your probably going to get the cheap and/or entry level types of stuff at the start (heck... you might start almost, or complealty, naked... like you tend to do in most of the elder Scrolls games)... and then either loot, and/or buy, and/or craft, your way to better equipment as the game goes on. Of course you can only go so far with this in a game like Cyberpunk... but it would still be a kind of upgrading when it comes to equipment.

Lol sorry but what do you guys mean by exotics?? When i first read the title i thought u ment exotic cars or weapons. Upon reading further it became apparent thats not what you guys were referring to. Can someone please elaborate for a cyberpunk 2077 casual fan?? Thanks!!

DarthRaver8686;n9029110 said:
Lol sorry but what do you guys mean by exotics?? When i first read the title i thought u ment exotic cars or weapons. Upon reading further it became apparent thats not what you guys were referring to. Can someone please elaborate for a cyberpunk 2077 casual fan?? Thanks!!

Well... if I have understood them sort of right... imagine Furries... but where it is done through Augmentation instead.

There is more to it then that I think... but that is the core of it I think, people who augment them self where the way they look is more importent maybe then what the agumentations might do or not... bodysculpting types of augmentations, you could almost call it "extreme plastic surgery" I guess. And it's not just animals or something... it could be that someone want to look like an elf, an alien, or other none-human things.

Top Bottom