Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
In 2077. 57 years from now. Mm hm.

Organ replacement and biosculpting.

Lots of things are worth a laugh - and the scene would get a laugh whether or not an Our World Media was in it or not.

Mark Hamill walking out of a bar would be cool too. Except this is Cyberpunk in 2077, not Los Angeles Now.

Mark Hamill is a bit too high profile and likely quite a bit too expensive to fit as a bit player.

By contrast these guys (Cohh and Jesse) only moonlight as voice actors, so are cheap.

Organ replacement and biosculpting.

If the tech was that good, they don't need an immortality chip that badly, frankly.

Cyberpunk 2020 tech -has those- and they extend your lifespan, but you don't look 30. Oh no.

More to the point, 57 years from now invalidates the "I'm in California and so are they" point of view. It's an alternate setting more than half a century distant from ours. Because those people are here and now, means nothing nearly 6 decades away, in a different world. Could as easily have been Marilyn Monroe there. And not the JFK poser-gang members, either.

They simply aren't relevant to Cyberpunk or 2077, just to some of us in 2020, and that's why it's jarring.

Yeah I really don’t see the “Immersion Breaking” argument especially from the people that have admitted that they don’t know who these people are. Bottom line is CDPR have some kind of good relationship with these people and decided they wanted them in their game. I don’t think it’s the end of the world and I would be willing to bet that 99% of the people saying it will break their immersion won’t even be able to notice which NPC was or wasn’t a YouTuber.

If the tech was that good, they don't need an immortality chip that badly, frankly.

Cyberpunk 2020 tech -has those- and they extend your lifespan, but you don't look 30. Oh no.

More to the point, 57 years from now invalidates the "I'm in California and so are they" point of view. It's an alternate setting more than half a century distant from ours. Because those people are here and now, means nothing nearly 6 decades away, in a different world. Could as easily have been Marilyn Monroe there. And not the JFK poser-gang members, either.

They simply aren't relevant to Cyberpunk or 2077, just to some of us in 2020, and that's why it's jarring.

There is the Gemini full body conversion. Which while being a human brain in a fully robotic body, looks and behaves like a normal fully biological human.

Yeah I really don’t see the “Immersion Breaking” argument especially from the people that have admitted that they don’t know who these people are. Bottom line is CDPR have some kind of good relationship with these people and decided they wanted them in their game. I don’t think it’s the end of the world and I would be willing to bet that 99% of the people saying it will break their immersion won’t even be able to notice which NPC was or wasn’t a YouTuber.
I'll expand a bit on why it would be immersion breaking for me. Prime example being Jesse Cox - I've been following him for about a decade now, watched pretty much everything he put out since then. I love the guy to bits.

Him appearing in the game, with his likeness and voice, will completely take me out of it because I will not be able to see him as someone else, even if he is just playing a character.

And that is the case with other people that will appear in the game, people that make content with their personal self at its center. It's different than casting an actor whom you have seen in different roles, in different projects and the suspension of disbelief comes easier. It's almost as if one of my uncles showed up in the game out of the blue, if you'll allow the weird analogy.

I'll expand a bit on why it would be immersion breaking for me. Prime example being Jesse Cox - I've been following him for about a decade now, watched pretty much everything he put out since then. I love the guy to bits.

Him appearing in the game, with his likeness and voice, will completely take me out of it because I will not be able to see him as someone else, even if he is just playing a character.

Well in case people didn't watch the vid I linked, here is a pic from that vid. Thats Jesse Cox, in CP2077, without his pants, apparently. He is part of a mission.

jesse cox mission.jpg

There is the Gemini full body conversion. Which while being a human brain in a fully robotic body, looks and behaves like a normal fully biological human.

Jesse said in his preview vid that you can be 90% cyborg if you want :ok::cool:
I can't wait!

Yes, there is. There are -multiple- issue with that idea, which is why the Immortality chip is a key plot point. I'm not going to list them, if you're familiar enough with 2020 to know what a Gemini is, you also know what the limitations are - and why the Youtubers aren't likely to be them.

There are other methods as well. Cloning and re-upload. Human AI. Identity transplants. And so on. None of them work really well, at least not in 2020. Again, thus the Immortality chip. Oh and most of them would not be available for the Youtubers you see, in Alternate 2020, as it takes truly remarkable connections and money to make it 57 years looking the same.

This world is not that world. And people from Cyberpunk 2020 who -made- it to 2077? Like Johnny? Alt? Rogue? Adam? They are -far- from unaffected. The price is steep. It's a big deal.

CDPR isn't even pretending the Youtubers are the people from 2020 who made it to 2077 - they are just name-and-face dropping them in intact. As a lark. Perhaps we will see Ciri in the world after all. Why not?

Perhaps we will see Ciri in the world after all.
That's another one of those situations where I think less is more. As much as I like Ciri running into her teleporting between a group of punks and killing them I wouldn't like. A small reference that an ashen haired girl with a scar on her face was seen in a neighborhood would be preferable for me.

Keanu Reeves is fine. But adding all these streamers will really be immersion breaking. I just hope they aren't apart of the story at all, and I don't have to interact with them.

Keanu Reeves is fine. But adding all these streamers will really be immersion breaking. I just hope they aren't apart of the story at all, and I don't have to interact with them.
Considering the screenshot I’ve seen of Jesse’s character and Coh‘s comments, I’m guessing it’ll be similar to the Strangers and Freaks side-quests in GTA 5.

I just ran into this

He was in Witcher 3???

Him having a longer history with a company, makes it somewhat more okay for me. It's not so much influencer/corporate shilling - which I would've looked down upon - as it is a dev team with a personality honouring a long time friend.

Still don't like seeing random personalities in my game and my answer to this poll would still be a "no", but this makes it a more lenient, softer no.

I will probably have the youtuber npc's sit down and watch braindance videos of themselves on youtube.

That's another one of those situations where I think less is more. As much as I like Ciri running into her teleporting between a group of punks and killing them I wouldn't like. A small reference that an ashen haired girl with a scar on her face was seen in a neighborhood would be preferable for me.
or we see evidence of her using her powers in someone else's Braindance and it's a 'wtf was that?!' kinda moment. we know she made it into Night City. she essentially confirms it in TW3, but i forget when exactly she tells Geralt this.

The best way to break immersion is to bring in real world people and politics into it.
So no, please don't bring real people into the game.
Keanu was immersion breaking too, but i've kind started to accept him as silverhand.

I saw Ted & Bill bogus journey couple days back. it was PepePains.
I'm gonna stop watching anymore keanu reaves movies to keep my cyberpunk immersion intact.

Top Bottom