Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Minor update: Jesse Cox's character is actually called Jesse in game.
(good talkthrough video btw, recommended watch)

The Matrix is kinda fitting, though, or John Wick if you want to go on a revenging spree.
Johnny Mnemonic too

Minor update: Jesse Cox's character is actually called Jesse in game.
Am I the only person here who think that this is extremely cringy?

Somehow, that reminds me of:

Can we put any info on who's going to be in the game in spoiler tags please? Except Keanu, since everyone already knows this.

I wish I didn't know this YouTuber is in the game. It's definitely going to break my immersion when I run into him now.

I think it’s.... rather annoying and distracting. And I’m glad I don’t recognize but a couple.

It even tops Keanu being in the game with his face.

That's true, and if he merely voiced Johnny, it'd be no issue. But the thing about deliberate look-alike-cameos is still distracting.
But that's the trick. An actor who is good should be able to inhabit the role so you don't see them as the person, but as that character. It's how TV and film works. So this should be no different, for a professional. But these other people are far from professional actors.

But that's the trick. An actor who is good should be able to inhabit the role so you don't see them as the person, but as that character. It's how TV and film works. So this should be no different, for a professional. But these other people are far from professional actors.
my exact point with death stranding: all main characters were played by great actors. Excellent. The problem came with all those preppers who had Kojima's friends faces (like herman hulst from sony) but were voiced by real actors. Totally useless.

The marketing of this game confuses me more and more with the decisions that are being made. So I ask myself the question: Why are they doing it? End of the day it's a business and they need to make money. So it looks like they want to sell copies to their followers that maybe would not be too interested in the game otherwise? That's not speaking a great deal of confidence in their product and I'm seeing more and more to worry me.

I'm fine if there were just references to them, but to have them actually in the game crosses a line for me.

A lot of people here don't know who they are and don't care which also highlights the question as to why was time and effort put into adding these people in (the whole process) and designing side quests for them?

In short I see and understand the business reason for doing it and I can't find a way to justify it as being just for fun so it does not come across well.

Back in the day, I had a piece of armor named after me in another arpg game, so it would be a bit hypocritical of me now to say I have a problem with others getting their cameo in a game.

That being said, I don't follow any of the influencers/youtubers, so the likelihood of me knowing that a particular NPC is a depiction of a real person is virtually zero, and thus, I really don't care because it doesn't take anything away from my personal experience.

Back in the day, I had a piece of armor named after me in another arpg game, so it would be a bit hypocritical of me now to say I have a problem with others getting their cameo in a game.

That being said, I don't follow any of the influencers/youtubers, so the likelihood of me knowing that a particular NPC is a depiction of a real person is virtually zero, and thus, I really don't care because it doesn't take anything away from my personal experience.

There's a difference between having an item in a game named after you and having a physical voiced cameo in a game

Yeah, this trend is annoying. Putting every friend into the fictional world.....

Though I must admit Marcin Iwinski would make a great NPC in CP77:

Top Bottom