Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It sounds like an easy way to get great reviews and attention from those youtubers.
Anyway, I don't like it. I didn't like it in Death Stranding and I will not like it in any game.

Kinda like how Jessica Chobot was in Mass Effect 3 and IGN gave top reviews to the game

You ain't seen ridiculousness yet...
View attachment 11052428
naaaaaah, it's his own game, I'm fine with that. It's a funny easter egg that lasts a few seconds.

And I'm definitely not a fan of Kojima, his games are "too Japanese" if you know what I mean (great gameplay though).

Just to make it clear again:

famous actors: yes, unless the announcement of their presence in the game is just a PR stunt to avoid talking about the game
Devs themselves as a small easter egg: yes
random famous guys "just because" (youtubers, kojima's friends et cetera): big no

I just want to add one more to that list
Another great example

Those who don't like professional (famous) actors in games are gonna have to get use to it because it's becoming more and more comon. Thanks to the advance in technology with mocap and graphics fidelity, they can use the full extent of their talent just like they do in movies and thus, more and more are interested in acting in games.

I personally love it because it gives off the feeling that games are being taken more seriously

wait, maybe I got it wrong, but if you're saying that actors in death strandings were not live acting (well, mocap of course)

You got it somewhat wrong, yes. Of course there's mocap. There's mocap even for the "nameless" actors. But what you see on the screen is a mocapped cartoon. Not the actor.

I'm so
You got it somewhat wrong, yes. Of course there's mocap. There's mocap even for the "nameless" actors. But what you see on the screen is a mocapped cartoon. Not the actor.
You are actually seeing the actor with face and everything. Try to watch some cut scenes from death stranding if you're not interested in the game. It's almost photorealistic and seems like a movie.

Ok. Let’s let it go. I’m happy you people have your rendered celebrities and movie-like games and find joy from it. (y)

Last edited:
Ok. Let’s let it go. I’m happy you people have your rendered celebrities and movie-like games and find joy from it. (y)
my man, I don't understand what you're trying to say. When I am presented with a story-driven game, I surely like good acting. Not necessarily from famous actors (see rockstar), at all.
If the game is something else and doesn't require any acting (e.g. disco Elysium) I'm happy as well.

Those who don't like professional (famous) actors in games are gonna have to get use to it because it's becoming more and more comon. Thanks to the advance in technology with mocap and graphics fidelity, they can use the full extent of their talent just like they do in movies and thus, more and more are interested in acting in games.

Also because video games are bigger than Hollywood already, and they want a slice of the pie too.

I don't really know who they are so I have no opinion on their inclusion at the moment.

Whether or not my impression on them being in the game will be positive or negative when the game launches depends on whether they're playing fictional characters or themselves, and whether they can act.

If they were playing themselves it would murder suspension of disbelief and immersion into the game universe, so I hope they're playing fictional characters. I also hope they've got some acting ability as Mass Effect 3 had Jessica Chobot play a minor character aboard your ship, and any interaction with that character was painful. (a combo of bad writing / bad acting)

it really would depend on the youtuber really some dont really care about the game and just covering it because its hot and gets clicks. The ones like that even a roadside grave marker in badlands as easter egg is too good. but a few really care about and are invested in the lore and game and something like being a npc and have quest through them would be fitting.

Damn, it's been some time and I'm still cringing anytime I hear about this.

Yepppppppppppppp. Every time. Fortunately! There are so many NPCs and stories and I'm only aware of Coh ( one of the youtubers) that there's a good chance I'll miss all the others! Still be..yeah. Yow. Wish it wasn't so, for sure.

For me it's a non issue unless they get a part which overshadows their welcome. Also both Cohh and Jesse are quite chill so their presence doesn't really affect me in a negative way. Angryjoe, Dodger and Jesse were also in Witcher 3 and there part is almost irrelevant in the grand scope of things.

For celebrities i have higher expectations since they are often in the role of more prominent characters and i just hope CDPR are smart enough and they know what they are doing with actual relevant characters like Johnny and Lizzy.

Top Bottom