Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well maybe we can shoot them. That could at least be satisfying no?
On topic if anyone should be in the game from YouTube and I already said that in the past.

The Mad Queen from MadQueenShow. She has done such a good job with the lore and her videos/custom in game ADs are freaking awesome.
No. I like her content but I'd rather just not have any youtubers in the game.

Personally I hate it.

Same here. If I knew them it would be immersion breaking but it's mostly because I hardly see what they're doing there, they're just youtubers not even specialized in Cyberpunk. For someone like Mike Pondsmith to be there seems much more legitimate.

When that ign lady was in mass effect 3 I didn't like it with how immersion breaking it was, so I not real keen on the idea.
Wasnt too much for me as I learned right now that it was a lady from IGN.
Not so sure about immersion breaking as I thought that media character was a part of the world.
*Shrug*

No. I like her content but I'd rather just not have any youtubers in the game.

She, like mos of the "lore" tubers, did nothing but quote straight from the books, offering no insight, no actual knowledge.... they didn't play cyberpunk 2020, and it showed.

Last edited:
but before i even begin there is something that is extremely important that i need to clarify,i have NOTHING against these youtubers/streamers this isnt a hate thread,if anything im a huge fan of some of them and wish all the best to all of them regardless.

Anyways,to begin with me and many other people were very critical of something similar happened in mass effect 3 when jessica chobot for some reason was in the game,but thankfully there isnt that much content that revolves around her you can simply kick her out of the Normandy and thats that,its something that kojima also did several times in some of the MGS games and yeah it felt like he put it in there for some laughs its like jessica chobot its nothing important in terms of content but its still a very weird design choice,which leads us to Cyberpunk 2077 for a game that is all about immersion i cant think of a way to break immersion more than adding youtubers/streamers and having to do side quests for them or being part of a main quest especially when their IRL model is being used its distracting,immersion breaking and out of place,it makes me scratch my head even more when i see Cdpr is being a little bit carried away like it gives me hunt down the freeman vibe,not only are they adding english speaking youtubers/streamers but chinese aswell,like is this some cheap way to market the game or something?

Again i cant emphasize this enough i have nothing against these streamers/youtuber im just a very passionate fan for Cdpr and i wish they create the best game they ever made and im only criticizing this as a design choice that may interfere with immersion especially when immersion is one of their main aim with the game,i wish to hear your thoughts about this.

Last edited:
Actually your opinion isn't "UNPOPULAR" as it has already been discussed on this forum, I just don't remember in which topic.

EDIT: Just saw the topic about youtubers got up. Take a look.

Last edited:

Actually your opinion isn't "UNPOPULAR" as it has already been discussed on this forum, I just don't remember in which topic.

EDIT: Just saw the topic about youtubers got up. Take a look.
oh thanks for letting me know,im more active on the subreddit and i saw a post that got downvoted to oblivion for criticizing this design choice,poor guy ended up removing it,i assumed the same thing in here,but thankfully this forum seems more open to criticism than i thought which is a good thing.

It’s not very unpopular around here.

But then, there aren’t many active posters around, not least because this board doesn’t get too much vocal dev activity.

That's not an unpopular opinion at all. I can see it from a PR perspective, get more people to speak highly and positively about this game by putting them in it. I'm curious to see what actual value it brings to have these people in the game. Just today I found out that Alanah Pierce is in it. What does she, or any of the other invited internet "celebrities", have to do with Cyberpunk?

Edit: For the record, I don't care if they're included in the game or not. I just see it as purely PR at this point, not having played the game yet.

I don't see how that topic can be causing so much talking, honestly.

First off, the game's an RPG set in a open-world environment, which already gives the player a lot of choice and various opportunities to miss out on pretty much anything except for the main quest. I bet some of us may never find these encounters, let alone recognize these celebrities at all; some may even recognize them, but completely miss the jokes being made, if there are any, on the score of little familiarity with the person's work(s).

And even if some or even all encounters are mandatory and non-avoidable by any means, what is the big deal here? How is that person any different from any other in-game character? Sure, most of the in-game characters - arguably - supposed to promote some quests of the game in a fine way, make the player laugh, middleman some mechanics or whatever, but influencers and others are capable of that as characters as well. Really, it is one's perception that breaks any immersion or whatever seems to be the problem for some.

Speaking of immersion being broken and things feeling dumb or distracting - Cyberpunk 2077 is probably not going to pass its chance to feature tons of various Easter eggs, given the gravity of tittle and, well, the universe and cyberpunk as a genre in general. It is, after all, a video game, a piece of media that is supposed the entertain the consumer, and whilst there are various genres where any hints (or obvious reminders/copies) about the world outside the game may crush a very specific atmosphere, I don't think Cyberpunk 2077 is one of them. This is not a horror game that aims to keep the player tense and focused before it throws a chilling revelation at them or a screamer, it is an open-world, story-driven RPG. For crying out loud, it's not like the main companion of the main character is, say, Jeff Bridges cameo and he's making The Dude impersonations all the time, citing the movie or something.

Even if the immersion is to break, it is probably not going to happen during an important moment for the story or the atmosphere of the game, either.

Top Bottom