Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe you'll meet Ninja. As an actual Arasaka Ninja. Literally, why not now?
1ucmv9.jpg

I mean, I guess there are many ways that I agree with you, but I guess I would also still be willing to see them if it's done in a really good way. I guess fear is the biggest driving factor here. I am also very scared that seeing a bunch of people from 2020 walking around inside of Cyberpunk in 2077 will shatter the immersion for me, but then of course there's Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand. I guess the main reason why I feel that wont shatter my immersion is the fact that such a good job seems to have been done for Keanu Reevs/Johnny Silverhand that I am able to actually temporarily forget its Keanu Reeves and really "FEEL" the Johnny Silverhand. It's done so skillfully and tastefully that I am able to not just overlook it, but also enjoy it. Then again, I am also a fan of Keanu Reeves, which plays a factor I'm sure. So It's not so simple.

So really I guess, Fear or No fear, It all depends on how CDPR does it.

Professional actors/actresses are the only exception for me. I guess the reason is that I see them in fictional settings playing different roles all the time, so I tend to disassociate them from real life people.

Putting influencers, many of whom review video games, almost feels like putting an ad in the game. It's basically 1 degree of freedom from putting a Coca-Cola ad in Witcher 3, and about equally as immersion-breaking.

Professional actors/actresses are the only exception for me. I guess the reason is that I see them in fictional settings playing different roles all the time, so I tend to disassociate them from real life people.

Putting influencers, many of whom review video games, almost feels like putting an ad in the game. It's basically 1 degree of freedom from putting a Coca-Cola ad in Witcher 3, and about equally as immersion-breaking.
Yea I gotta agree with that.

I mean, I guess there are many ways that I agree with you, but I guess I would also still be willing to see them if it's done in a really good way. I guess fear is the biggest driving factor here. I am also very scared that seeing a bunch of people from 2020 walking around inside of Cyberpunk in 2077 will shatter the immersion for me, but then of course there's Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand. I guess the main reason why I feel that wont shatter my immersion is the fact that such a good job seems to have been done for Keanu Reevs/Johnny Silverhand that I am able to actually temporarily forget its Keanu Reeves and really "FEEL" the Johnny Silverhand. It's done so skillfully and tastefully that I am able to not just overlook it, but also enjoy it. Then again, I am also a fan of Keanu Reeves, which plays a factor I'm sure. So It's not so simple.

So really I guess, Fear or No fear, It all depends on how CDPR does it.
i was one of the people who were not completely aboard with keanu reeves being johnny silverhand but after seeing the full pacifica demo (which i saw 8 times) i was completely sold not only on keanu reeves but johnny silverhand as a companion,keanu reeves delivery was incredibly good and he is not shoehorned like i was expecting,he stays silent when you expect him to and talks when you expect him to,i really enjoyed the dialogues as well,i can see why Cdpr said that Keanu reeves added alot of personality to his character and it shows,it felt like this is johnny silverhand not keanu reeves.

i was one of the people who were not completely aboard with keanu reeves being johnny silverhand but after seeing the full pacifica demo (which i saw 8 times) i was completely sold not only on keanu reeves but johnny silverhand as a companion,keanu reeves delivery was incredibly good and he is not shoehorned like i was expecting,he stays silent when you expect him to and talks when you expect him to,i really enjoyed the dialogues as well,i can see why Cdpr said that Keanu reeves added alot of personality to his character and it shows,it felt like this is johnny silverhand not keanu reeves.
Yea, the most important part is that it's done tastefully and with passion. If every single person from 2020 in Cyberpunk2077 is done tastefully and with passion, I would gladly accept it. But that's no simple task. But then again,

CDProjekt RED
is REALLY good.

How do you mean "prioratizing" and what the hell does it have to do with "cutting content" ?

What does that mean? I see it as cdpr just adding a cool extra for content creators who are fans of the game. Not exactly taking a ton of resources or time, and they definintly didnt cut content in order to put this in. Its akin to an easter egg.

Nothing wrong with it.

As a side note, people who dont think this game will have any commentary on current issues/politics are insane.

Last edited:
I like Alanah's voice so I could see it working. I'll wait to see the results before judging.

Alanah has done some VAing before :shrug: She has what we call " a half baked American accent " . No disrespect to her but she dosen`t sound much like an Aussie anymore .

So I see this as just another type of easter egg. A lot of the "arguments" people are using against this could also easily be applied to any other easter egg/ reference cdpr puts in game.

I mean I doubt people would be as worked up agaisnt something like, a cybertruck being found in game? But the way I see this its the same thing, just on a very-slightly larger scale.

I just personally dont see why this is such a contreversial addition.

So I see this as just another type of easter egg. A lot of the "arguments" people are using against this could also easily be applied to any other easter egg/ reference cdpr puts in game.

I mean I doubt people would be as worked up agaisnt something like, a cybertruck being found in game? But the way I see this its the same thing, just on a very-slightly larger scale.

I just personally dont see why this is such a contreversial addition.

Easter eggs are called that because they are hidden and intentionally not easily noticable.

A character with voice lines and a side quest is entirely different.

A more appropriate comparison to an easter egg would be if Alanah's signature were on a wall in Night City. I wouldn't really care about that, because it's not in-your-face immersion breaking, nor do I care if she voice acts a character in the game.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Easter eggs are called that because they are hidden and intentionally not easily noticable.

A character with voice lines and a side quest is entirely different.

A more appropriate comparison to an easter egg would be if Alanah's signature were on a wall in Night City. I wouldn't really care about that, because it's not in-your-face immersion breaking, nor do I care if she voice acts a character in the game.

[...]

Shrug, its not like the game forces you to interact or references, or alludes to the real person in any way shape or form. Its just her likeness.

And "easter egg" is a pretty broad term nowadays for any sort of in game reference to irl/other games/media.. but if you take issue with the term just pretend I said reference, or something/

I like Alanah's voice so I could see it working. I'll wait to see the results before judging.
nothing against alanah i enjoy her content but her performance in here is....kinda bad tbh,i cant blame her or anything its not a job that everyone can do,there is a good reason why they hire actors for this stuff.

Shrug, its not like the game forces you to interact or references, or alludes to the real person in any way shape or form. Its just her likeness.

And "easter egg" is a pretty broad term nowadays for any sort of in game reference to irl/other games/media.. but if you take issue with the term just pretend I said reference, or something/

Out of curiosity, how would you feel if say, Tiger Woods, had a side quest in the Witcher 3? I mean, his likeness and voice, not him playing golf in the game. Would it affect your Witcher 3 experience and immersion?

Out of curiosity, how would you feel if say, Tiger Woods, had a side quest in the Witcher 3? I mean, his likeness and voice, not him playing golf in the game. Would it affect your Witcher 3 experience and immersion?

I would think thats cool for people who are fans of tiger woulds and not care, the same as right now. I dont understand the point of the question as its literally the same scenario as right now, so of course my thoughts are the same.

Of course in that scenario I would be a bit confused as to the cross over of tiger-woods fans and the witcher fans and be confused as to why have him in the game since he isnt related in anyway, but thats irrelevent because I assume thats not why you put up this hypothetical.

I would think thats cool for people who are fans of tiger woulds and not care, the same as right now. I dont understand the point of the question as its literally the same scenario as right now, so of course my thoughts are the same.

Of course in that scenario I would be a bit confused as to the cross over of tiger-woods fans and the witcher fans and be confused as to why have him in the game since he isnt related in anyway, but thats irrelevent because I assume thats not why you put up this hypothetical.

The point of the hypothetical was seeing if including a person alive in 2020 in a medieval setting would affect your immersion in that world. From you answer, I guess you are just immune to having your immersion broken, which is honestly good for you. I wish I could have that same immunity haha.

The point of the hypothetical was seeing if including a person alive in 2020 in a medieval setting would affect your immersion in that world. From you answer, I guess you are just immune to having your immersion broken, which is honestly good for you. I wish I could have that same immunity haha.

Yeah, honestly I just cant understand your point of view at all.

Maybe its how I view it, as I disagree fundamently that using someones likeness for a character makes that character "them". to me, it would be a guy who looks exactly like tiger woods alive in an alternate universe. Not tiger woods alive in the medievil ages, or, someone from 2020 alive in 2077. I can slightly get where you and other people are coming from on the immersion issue, but this reasoning for it is totally lost on me.

Maybe this point of view is why some actors end up being stuck in type casting?

Frankly, if having some RL people as NPC's breaks immersion for somebody, then what about all the easter eggs which will be in the game? Those will also break immersion, even more so, when you think about it.

The great thing about having youtubers in the game is that it proves that everything else in the game will be perfect, as never CDprojekt would waste time in such a petty thing like implementing youtubers in the game if the rest was not already perfect.

Frankly, if having some RL people as NPC's breaks immersion for somebody, then what about all the easter eggs which will be in the game? Those will also break immersion, even more so, when you think about it.
The problem is having content like side quests that revolves around these youtubers/streamers,easter eggs are usually things that are very hard to find and can easily be ignored if it breaks immersion,i personally wouldn't mind if they are in the game but had empty content or just some dialogues here and there,but according to people who have played the game this does not seem the case.

The problem is having content like side quests that revolves around these youtubers/streamers,easter eggs are usually things that are very hard to find and can easily be ignored if it breaks immersion,i personally wouldn't mind if they are in the game but had empty content or just some dialogues here and there,but according to people who have played the game this does not seem the case.

You have one very obvious easter egg in first 5 Minutes of the corpo life path start. Not really hidden, clear reference. On the other hand, I don't even know most of the youtubers represented as NPC's in the game. So tell me - which one is more immersion breaking? Also, having actors in the game is not immersion breaking?

Sorry: as always, I'm not getting the drama here.

Top Bottom